The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

So essentially you're saying the fans and media pressured Carbo into keeping Lats?  :D

:D I don't think it's that simple an equation. I think Carbo sat down and thought about the pros and the cons and concluded:

Language politics aside, are there good reasons to keep Latendresse with the club? Yes. He's had a great preseason for the second year in a row, and he's the type of big physical forward we need. We can't send him to Hamilton, and the juniors might stunt his development.

Language politics aside, are there good reasons to send Latendresse back to junior? Yes -- Kostitsyn has also had a strong preseason. However, he's the type of player we already have on the team, and we can send him to Hamilton for the year.

Now, throw in the language issue, and I think the balance works out in Latendresse's favour. That's kind of how I think Carbo made his decision. It's not that he let the media and fans railroad him into keeping Latendresse. It's that he made the decision to keep Lats based on the needs of the team in full awareness that his decision would also conveniently nip the language controversy in the bud.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hatethoseleafs

I see Guy being used sparingly until he gains experience in all situations. The coach IMO will not place him in a situation to fail. Don't look for him to be put out in tough situations such as the last minute of a tight game until such time as he proves himself. Anybody thinking this kid is going to pop 50 goals and get 30 minutes of ice time in his rookie year is not being realistic.

Wow, this is just going to lead to disappointment. Assuming Gui makes the team (which he still hasnt done, but it seems likely) he will likely play on the 4th line. He is still really young at 19. He will probably come in and make mistakes, then everyone will jump on him and claim he is a bust and put 4 times as much pressure on him.  

I hope Gui works his way up to the 1st or 2nd line if there are injuries (like Perezhogin last year) and starts to stand out, but we all need to remember, he is only 19 (and he isnt Crosby or Ovechkin) and injury prone.

Too much negativity man...this guy (Gui) has STAR written all over him.

yay oh joy and all that jazz

la dlats made it but lets be realistic here...hes our ONLY power forward...hes goign to be a target and we know it.

i wish him luck and hope he adapts well, the habs have needed a guy like him for a while now. but lets nto forget: hes a rookie player, not our saviour(as some would liek him to be)

good luck lats, hope to see you with ribs on the ice;)

-Matt

Latendresse and Perezhogin are both depth players and between the two of them will be lucky to play in 100 games combined.  Latendresse won't even be in the starting line-up (unless they move Bonk down to Begin and Murray's line and scratch Downey), but I don't see that happening on a regular basis.

So, I think Mr. Latendresse will score 8 goals and 6 assists.  I also think that people should be happy with that kind of production, from a DEPTH ROOKIE any ways.

We will probably trade, we already have immense depth and questionable players to ship out, we get rid of those players, bring in a consistent star player, and fill our lower lines to developing prospects(For the most part, I like Johnson on 3rd alot), it's a win/win situation.

:D I don't think it's that simple an equation. I think Carbo sat down and thought about the pros and the cons and concluded:

Language politics aside, are there good reasons to keep Latendresse with the club? Yes. He's had a great preseason for the second year in a row, and he's the type of big physical forward we need. We can't send him to Hamilton, and the juniors might stunt his development.

Language politics aside, are there good reasons to send Latendresse back to junior? Yes -- Kostitsyn has also had a strong preseason. However, he's the type of player we already have on the team, and we can send him to Hamilton for the year.

Now, throw in the language issue, and I think the balance works out in Latendresse's favour. That's kind of how I think Carbo made his decision. It's not that he let the media and fans railroad him into keeping Latendresse. It's that he made the decision to keep Lats based on the needs of the team in full awareness that his decision would also conveniently nip the language controversy in the bud.

Makes sense. Not sure how much weight the language issue had in the end but to say that it didn't cross Carbo's mind at all would be naive. I agree.

But I still say he deserves the credit and he was overall better then Kostistyn at camp. The best player at camp between the two made the team in my opinion.

In the old thread they mentioned his playing time, and that we should put him on the PP. This would be great, he can make himself space in 5 on 5, on a powerplay he'd be able to do even more, and he'd be pretty fresh, you could possibly shift him a whole powerplay if he's on the 4th line. This would be a good way to excercise our depth I feel, because he's as capable on the PP as our 1st/2nd liners, yet he won't be as tired.

I just hope he continues to play well otherwise the french media will destroy him...

He won't let it get to him, hopefully the fans won't let the media get to them and boo him, he could be a big part of our future pending he keeps healthy.

Guest Nikedine
Now that latendresse is offically a hab for 3 years , what line do you think he'll play on  

Latendresse - Ribiero - Kovalev?

I'm pretty sure he'll start on the left wing with Plekanec and Johnson, where he played last night. But if someone in the scoring lines struggles then he might get the chance there.

Guest brand--x
I'm pretty sure he'll start on the left wing with Plekanec and Johnson, where he played last night. But if someone in the scoring lines struggles then he might get the chance there.

Like Samsonov, im not to impressed with his play.

First of all i think it is bad that you even brought this up. You don't hear english people bitchin that they don't have english rookies on the team or russian people saying that kostytsin wasn't given a chance because he wasn't french.I think he really played well this training camp and really deserves the chance...but in my mind the only reason he beat out kots is because he is french. Kots has paid his dues in the minors and deserves the shot. His confidence is shot now. He should have been given the chance for atleast one year and send lats to the minors(q) for 1 year. before last years training camp it was all kots but why destroy a mans confidence or will . Give him a chance in the bigs for 1 year. If he doesn't pan out then give lats the shot. I just think it was unfair and i hopre mtl trades kots to give him a chance elsewhere. I would really like to keep him but he deserves his chance now. MY OPINION.

Even if Latendresse disappoints, I still think Carbonneau did the right thing. Why? Because he's defused the threat of a ridiculous language controversy before the season has started. He's declawed TQS and le Journal and given them no reason to complain that French-Canadian players are being held back, etc. Would we really want the team to start the season under that kind of cloud? Now that Lats is on the roster, everyone can get back to the business of hockey. The thing now is for us not to expect too much from him. He's just a kid, as Koivu Fan has pointed out. He's not going to lead us to a Cup, especially playing on the lower lines. Anything exceptional he does this year should be regarded as a bonus, not a given

I agree Babandy, I just want him on the team for his assets, I am not worried about another French superstar, I just want another superstar, nationality aside(not inferring he will become one)

Like Samsonov, im not to impressed with his play.

Wow, don't you just lay down the law?

Guest BadBrains
So, I think Mr. Latendresse will score 8 goals and 6 assists.  I also think that people should be happy with that kind of production, from a DEPTH ROOKIE any ways.

At 850K per year, it's hard to imagine that he will be a "depth rookie". The Habs management have taken a rare chance by signing this deal. I find it hard to imagine that they will follow it up by only giving him 40 games this year. He will be a regular unless his play deteriorates to the point of being benched.

Guest MTLFAN4LIFE

Lines i would love to see would be

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgens - Ribiero - Ryder

Johnson - Plekanec - Latendresse

Begin - Bonk - Murray

Markov - Streit

Souray - Rivet

Dandy - Boullion (when he gets healthy)

Huet in net

Abby backup

If the Canadiens (Carbo included) have made the commitment to keep him and Gainey has given him that much money, you can bet that he'll see some playing time, and some quality playing time that is! Had it not been the case, they would have sent him back to Drummondville because a kid like him needs to play.

He practiced today with Bonk and Begin, could be a great chance to develop his defensive game, ~8-9minutes a game, plus PP time ~4-5minutes, should be excellent for his development.

That a line with size and the other team better keep thier heads up! :shock:

First of all i think it is bad that you even brought this up. You don't hear english people bitchin that they don't have english rookies on the team or russian people saying that kostytsin wasn't given a chance because he wasn't french.

No, but you do have English-speaking people (not all, but some) complaining that the only reason Latendresse is on the team is because he’s French-Canadian. That, to my mind, is just as unfair as le Journal hyping the kid to an absurd extent because they’re desperate to ‘create’ the next French-Canadian Habs star. Why is it bad that I brought language up? We are talking real-politik here, not the world of ideals, and the sad reality is that language is an issue. Le journal and TQS seize every chance they can to drive a wedge between French and English speakers. With that in mind, it’s unrealistic not to expect Carbonneau to make the choice that’s best for the on-ice product but that also happens to defuse a potential language controversy before it can adversely affect the team.

I think he really played well this training camp and really deserves the chance...but in my mind the only reason he beat out kots is because he is french.

I don’t think that’s fair to Carbonneau.

Kots has paid his dues in the minors and deserves the shot. His confidence is shot now. He should have been given the chance for atleast one year and send lats to the minors(q) for 1 year. before last years training camp it was all kots but why destroy a mans confidence or will . Give him a chance in the bigs for 1 year. If he doesn't pan out then give lats the shot. I just think it was unfair and i hopre mtl trades kots to give him a chance elsewhere. I would really like to keep him but he deserves his chance now. MY OPINION.

Personally, I feel that time spent in the minors doesn’t necessarily guarantee you a shot in the big show. It’s not about seniority or paying dues, it’s about your worth to the team. Don’t forget: Kostitsyn had a very lackluster start to training camp and only found his groove a few games into preseason, so putting his and Latendresse’s performances on the same level may not entirely justified.

Let's make something very clear... Latendresse did not make the team because he's French or because of the media. I give Carbonneau, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey way more credit than that. I know that the media will see it differently, that they'll take it as a victory but in no way did our management get influenced one bit by the fans and/or the media! Latendresse made the team because he proved once again that he belongs with his hockey abilities and hard work. Nothing else! 8-)

I was one of the ones who were complaining about the propaganda by the French media and in all fairness to Guillaume, it certainly wasn't his fault and maybe it should have been a totally separate topic back then. The media's coverage of the situation was aweful, but Latendresse was excellent!

Archived