The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

22 Steve Bégin 06-07

jl-1

Guest natey2k4
I don't know but I read somewhere that they're probably going to put him on the IR.

Im going to miss him, but in a sense, I'm happy theirs a roster spot for Lapierre to show what he's got in his game long term. I love Begin, he's an amazingly hard working player, but I am interested in seeing what Lapierre will bring for our future. Disappointed that it's at the expense of Begin though.

Guest zachary-jean
Im going to miss him, but in a sense, I'm happy theirs a roster spot for Lapierre to show what he's got in his game long term. I love Begin, he's an amazingly hard working player, but I am interested in seeing what Lapierre will bring for our future. Disappointed that it's at the expense of Begin though.

I know what you mean. Hopefully Steve's injury isn't too serious. I do look forward to seeing how Lapierre will take his spot.

Let's hope Begin can come back soon as we already hear some fans calling for his head (I can't beleive it myself)! :shock: One of the league leaders in bodychecks, great on PK... Our team will be that much stronger with him in the line-up.

Guest habs_fan1160
Let's hope Begin can come back soon as we already hear some fans calling for his head (I can't beleive it myself)! :shock:  One of the league leaders in bodychecks, great on PK... Our team will be that much stronger with him in the line-up.

See the thing with this problem is Lapierre can do all the things Begin does other than be a "Strong leader" because he's new to the team. We already have 5 guys that are capable of being leaders, what we need is someone who can go out there and get us some points.

I know he's one of the league leaders in bodychecks and he's great on the PK, but Lapierre is doing all those things and netting goals and assists.

Lapierre is similar to Begin except I think he's a younger, more durable and more effective player than Begin.

Let's hope Begin can come back soon as we already hear some fans calling for his head (I can't beleive it myself)!  One of the league leaders in bodychecks, great on PK... Our team will be that much stronger with him in the line-up.

Do we really need a player that could only do two things? Bodychecks are nice when you could get some puck control out of them but like I already said 3/4 of his bodychecks are useless. We got a bunch of guys that could play on the PK ; Streit, Higgins, Pleks, Bonk, Johnson, Koivu, Lapierre even Kovalev!

When were on the PK I rather have a player going straight towards the other team's net "when he has the chance" then just dumping or shooting it from the blue line. I don't think our team will be that much stronger with him in the line-up if anything its stronger with out him. When the fourth line is on the ice I could actually expect a goal or some good pressure in the other teams zone.

See the thing with this problem is Lapierre can do all the things Begin does other than be a "Strong leader" because he's new to the team. We already have 5 guys that are capable of being leaders, what we need is someone who can go out there and get us some points.

I know he's one of the league leaders in bodychecks and he's great on the PK, but Lapierre is doing all those things and netting goals and assists.

Lapierre is similar to Begin except I think he's a younger, more durable and more effective player than Begin.

:five:

No he can't, at least not at this stage of his career. You can not buy experience and you need that when the going gets tough. That not counting what Begin brings to this team in the dressing room. He's a leader, a mentor as he took Latendresse under his wing and he's one of the few players we have who will lay down to block a shot. He'll do everything for this team and Lapierre, as well as he's performed over a 3 games stretch, is nowhere close to Begin at this stage in his career. We can't be short sighted here, we need a healthy Begin in our line-up for the long run.

No he can't, at least not at this stage of his career. You can not buy experience and you need that when the going gets tough. That not counting what Begin brings to this team in the dressing room. He's a leader, a mentor as he took Latendresse under his wing and he's one of the few players we have who will lay down to block a shot. He'll do everything for this team and Lapierre, as well as he's performed over a 3 games stretch, is nowhere close to Begin at this stage in his career. We can't be short sighted here, we need a healthy Begin in our line-up for the long run.

Yeah he only played 3games but in 3games he had a bigger impact then Latendresse when he started the season with Begin.

"Whats the point of having heart if you don't have any skills."

-Me.

Yeah he only played 3games but in 3games he had a bigger impact then Latendresse when he started the season with Begin.

"Whats the point of having heart if you don't have any skills."

-Me.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one... :D

Guest Miltie01

The kid had a good 3 games but in the dog days of the season to come, where the pressure skyrockets and the chips are down, there is no way he can replace Begin......Sorry

Guest habs_fan1160

Yes, Begin is a leader - but why do we need another leader? We have a Captain and 2 assistant captains... Koivu, Rivet, Souray not to mention guys with expierence like Kovy - they're all leaders on the team.

Why would we really be despirate for another one?

I like Begin but why would we keep him around just for being a leader, blocking shots and hitting? We have Niinimaa, Rivet and Markov who will get down and block shots, we have Komi, Rivet, Boullion, etc., who lay out the hits.

Then we have Lapierre who is playing his butt off, getting in the corners, play three games with us and netting two goals and an assist.

I realize that Begin has expierence - but so does Niinimaa and he's on the bench because he's not performing.

Begin has played in 29 games, has 2 goals and 2 assists - for four poits and a -6.

Lapierre has played in 3 games, has 2 goals an an assist - for three points and a +4.

I agree Begin may have the expierence but we have tons of players that do - point is we don't have a lot that can score like Lapierre. He'd be an awesome asset to the team.

Yes, Begin is a leader - but why do we need another leader? We have a Captain and 2 assistant captains... Koivu, Rivet, Souray not to mention guys with expierence like Kovy - they're all leaders on the team.

Why would we really be despirate for another one?

I like Begin but why would we keep him around just for being a leader, blocking shots and hitting? We have Niinimaa, Rivet and Markov who will get down and block shots, we have Komi, Rivet, Boullion, etc., who lay out the hits.

Then we have Lapierre who is playing his butt off, getting in the corners, play three games with us and netting two goals and an assist.  

I realize that Begin has expierence - but so does Niinimaa and he's on the bench because he's not performing.  

Begin has played in 29 games, has 2 goals and 2 assists - for four poits and a -6.

Lapierre has played in 3 games, has 2 goals an an assist - for three points and a +4.

I agree Begin may have the expierence but we have tons of players that do - point is we don't have a lot that can score like Lapierre. He'd be an awesome asset to the team.

I didn't say that he wouldn't be a great asset to this team, but not at Begin's expenses. It's not going to happen, mark my words, at least not this season. You can not buy experience, having been there in certain situations. Far from me putting down Lapierre, but he's no Begin at this stage in his career. And let's not put too much emphasis on stats as 3 games doesn't reflect the true story. They don't stop counting the ballots after 3 votes in an election because someone got all 3 votes. :D

Guest habs_fan1160
I didn't say that he wouldn't be a great asset to this team, but not at Begin's expenses. It's not going to happen, mark my words, at least not this season. You can not buy experience, having been there in certain situations. Far from me putting down Lapierre, but he's no Begin at this stage in his career. And let's not put too much emphasis on stats as 3 games doesn't reflect the true story. They don't stop counting the ballots after 3 votes in an election because someone got all 3 votes. :D

Hmm, see (Again not knocking Begin because I do like him) but you said that Lapierre is no Begin - and I agree - IMO Lapierre is better then Begin.

And you're right, you can't buy expirence but you also can't buy that wreckless energy of a young NHL player looking to make his name heard.

It may not happen this year - and I doubt it will, but I think some where down the line Lapierre will take Begin's spot or who knows maybe Murray, Streit or Perz is going to be gone, because who knows - maybe Begin and Lapierre would have aweomse chemestry together.

Guest mikehabsfan

All I know is I don't want to lose Begin. Now that Lapierre has shown his stuff, everyone's ready to ditch the injured people. Well, I'm not ready to do that, not with Begin. One of Lapierre's goals was an empty netter, and he got a deflection on the other. He does have crazy energy, but I don't want to make more out of his points than we should. I'm loving him for filling in, but if it comes down to him and Begin, I want our Begin back. I would be very upset for him if he lost his spot to Lapierre.

Peace,

Mike.

Guest SuperHabsFan

begin would never loose his spot to lapierre. murray, downey, streit maybe, but definately not begin, Begin has already proved that he is an asset to this team

And you're right, you can't buy expirence but you also can't buy that wreckless energy of a young NHL player looking to make his name heard.

Begin has the experience AND the wreckless energy, not from a young player, but from a guy with tons of heart! Lapierre will not take his spot, not this season. Down the road? Probably. God, the guy has 97 hits in 29 games, good for 6th in the entire NHL and had he not missed the last few games, he'd be close to leading the league!?! How much more energy does one need? I agree with SuperHabsFan that Lapierre is more of a threat to Murray and Downey than to Begin.

Experience this experience that.  

I got a question for you all.  

Do we really need experience on the 4th line?

I rather have a rookie full of potential then a veteran on the 4th line.

I don't know... why not asked the teams who have won the Stanley Cup in the past 100 years, most of which were loaded with experience and leadership? Begin is money. He shows up and does his job well every single night, putting his body through pain day in and day out. Never a night off for this guy. His experience may look useless to the short sighted, but what happens in case of injuries? He'd be the first one to be bumped up if someone on the checking line went down.

IMO Begin isn't very good at center. The fourth line has been a liability even though Begin's linemates haven't been very good most of the season. Unless Higgens moves to center and Pleks moves to the fourth line I could see Lapierre staying up because hes a natural center. If Pleks moves to fourth line center then I could see Begin and Streit as the wings. It all depends on Higgens IMO.

Guest natey2k4
IMO Begin isn't very good at center.  The fourth line has been a liability even though Begin's linemates haven't been very good most of the season.  Unless Higgens moves to center and Pleks moves to the fourth line I could see Lapierre staying up because hes a natural center.  If Pleks moves to fourth line center then I could see Begin and Streit as the wings.  It all depends on Higgens IMO.

Except when Begin was centering Streit, ever since Streit moved to that line, Begin has been a house of fire.

IMO Begin isn't very good at center.  The fourth line has been a liability even though Begin's linemates haven't been very good most of the season.  Unless Higgens moves to center and Pleks moves to the fourth line I could see Lapierre staying up because hes a natural center.  If Pleks moves to fourth line center then I could see Begin and Streit as the wings.  It all depends on Higgens IMO.

begin is more effective at wing

begin would never loose his spot to lapierre. murray, downey, streit maybe, but definately not begin, Begin has already proved that he is an asset to this team

thats right!! begin brings so much to this team, so much heart

Guest CanadianMike

wow! what a difference a year makes....last season's hometown hero Begin was all over the place (including the hearts of Hab fans everywhere)...this year some are talking about him being replaced by Lapierre.

Archived