The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

27 Alex Kovalev 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snore. I wish some of the other guys had his skill but I would trade him if given the chance. I don't see him giving 100% very often. Still a good member of the club but needs a fire under his butt too often.

When acquiring him, we knew all along what we were getting so saying that he doesn't give it his all, that he plays whenever he feels like it and so on should not surprise anyone as he was tagged with this label his whole career. We still signed him and he's performed well for us when we needed him.

His worth to this team goes well beyond the points he puts up or what he does on the ice. The guy, since signing back here as a UFA, has taken a role of leader on this team. Not just that, but look at all of the young Russians and Belarussians on the team who have grown admiring Kovalev as their idol, having the chance to play on the same team. It is obvious that Kovalev is loving this role as he's taking those youngsters under his wing to make them feel at home away from their own country. It's no coincidence that Markov, who's play had regressed after loosing his good friend Oleg Petrov, has now found his game back since Kovalev joined the team. Kovalev's influence on this team is a positive one and Samsonov mentioned that he signed here for a chance to play with Kovy.

Guest habs_fan1160

I like Kovy and I think he's been good to have on the Habs club, however, I find the only time he really excells and plays hard is during the playoffs.

If he played all 82 games like he does in the playoffs I wouldn't have a problem with him, but the thing is we need him to play to his best every night or we won't be getting to the playoff point.

I wouldn't have a problem with him getting traded either, as long as it was for someone of equal value or higher. I wouldn't want to lose him to pick up someone like Belak.

When acquiring him, we knew all along what we were getting so saying that he doesn't give it his all, that he plays whenever he feels like it and so on should not surprise anyone as he was tagged with this label his whole career. We still signed him and he's performed well for us when we needed him.

His worth to this team goes well beyond the points he puts up or what he does on the ice. The guy, since signing back here as a UFA, has taken a role of leader on this team. Not just that, but look at all of the young Russians and Belarussians on the team who have grown admiring Kovalev as their idol, having the chance to play on the same team. It is obvious that Kovalev is loving this role as he's taking those youngsters under his wing to make them feel at home away from their own country. It's no coincidence that Markov, who's play had regressed after loosing his good friend Oleg Petrov, has now found his game back since Kovalev joined the team. Kovalev's influence on this team is a positive one and Samsonov mentioned that he signed here for a chance to play with Kovy.

You are right. But it just bugs me that if he did play hard all the time, what could he achieve? Last year when he creamed Tucker, I became a fan. He showed guts for one of the rare times.

You are right.  But it just bugs me that if he did play hard all the time, what could he achieve?  Last year when he creamed Tucker, I became a fan.  He showed guts for one of the rare times.

But it's no surprise. With Kovalev, you take the good with the bad, but the good vastly outweights the bad... :wink:

27 Alex Kovalev

29727_1.jpg

HEY JL, 3 little things:

1. You might edit your first post to include this link, first posted by Pitt27, to illustrate to Hab Fans the proper way by which to get Kovy to score 100 points and 50 goals: "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHPWTuhO_SI

2. Second, thanks for the new thread, I was running out of things to say on the old one- now I can cut and paste.

3. And to get this thread rocking, can I be the first to say it? Please ????- I mean, I won’t do it without you, Link or Weeping giving me permission- But you know what I want to say- what needs to be said. - The thing about Kovy the Wizard being better offensively than - “he who must not be named”.

But, I won’t do it unless you say I can. You know I would be the last guy who would want to cause any controversy!

:D :D

Guest HuetFan4Life

ummmm "he who must not be named?"

I was always under the assumption that Kovalev was the best Offensive Player on the team, bar none

though now that you mention it, I think maybe Patrick Traverse might be giving ol Kovy a run for his money

LOL

Guest TOP_SHELF
ummmm "he who must not be named?"

I was always under the assumption that Kovalev was the best Offensive Player on the team, bar none

though now that you mention it, I think maybe Patrick Traverse might be giving ol Kovy a run for his money

LOL

lol he wishes

HEY JL, 3 little things:

1.  You might edit your first post to include this link, first posted by Pitt27, to illustrate to Hab Fans the proper way by which to get Kovy to score 100 points and 50 goals: "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT"  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHPWTuhO_SI

2.  Second, thanks for the new thread, I was running out of things to say on the old one- now I can cut and paste.

3. And to get this thread rocking, can I be the first to say it? Please ????- I mean, I won’t do it without you, Link or Weeping giving me permission-  But you know what I want to say- what needs to be said. - The thing about Kovy the Wizard being better offensively than - “he who must not be named”.  

But, I won’t do it unless you say I can. You know I would be the last guy who would want to cause any controversy!

:D :D

I think all controversy resides solely inside your head.

Kovy is without a doubt, hands down, the most offensively talented player on the team. No one else comes close, except maybe samsonov, and I use the word 'close' very loosely here.

Kovy is without a doubt, hands down, the most offensively talented player on the team. No one else comes close, except maybe samsonov, and I use the word 'close' very loosely here.

Yukon, all controversy resides in my head- if you only knew the half. :D

Anyway, I'm with you on Kovy. But when the forces of "he who must not be named" come storming onto the Board,- AND THEY WILL- I'll PM you, and you can do the heavy checking.

:D

What??? I thought Ribs was the one with all the moves... and Sammi closer than everyone else... is this biased towards russian players because some think they have more talent in their left hands than anyone else that plays the game?

Don't get me wrong... Kovy is good, has natural and developed talent, has size and speed.. but others (including Ribeiro) have shown they too can make magic moves once in a while... and that's the thing about Kovy... he only does it once in a while

just an opinion... bw6

Guest cup crazy88
What??? I thought Ribs was the one with all the moves... and Sammi closer than everyone else... is this biased towards russian players because some think they have more talent in their left hands than anyone else that plays the game?

Don't get me wrong... Kovy is good, has natural and developed talent, has size and speed.. but others (including Ribeiro) have shown they too can make magic moves once in a while... and that's the thing about Kovy... he only does it once in a while

just an opinion... bw6

I can't believe u just compared Ribeiro and Kovalev offensively...

I respect your opinion, but i just don't see how u came to that conclusion, Kovalev is a better stickhandler and offensive player than ribs will ever be, he's a whole step above him.. maybe 2..

I can't believe u just compared Ribeiro and Kovalev offensively...

I respect your opinion, but i just don't see how u came to that conclusion, Kovalev is a better stickhandler and offensive player than ribs will ever be, he's a whole step above him.. maybe 2..

I did say... but others (including Ribeiro) have shown they too can make magic moves once in a while... and that's the thing about Kovy... he only does it once in a while

ONCE IN A WHILE... Kovy has always been OIAW... when he's not doing it all the time he's no better than anyone else, now is he? I can't believe you put Samsanov ahead of others on the team!

bw6

Guest Habsfan_11

Kovalev one of the best pairs of hands in the league. Too bad he doesn't give it his all every shift. The one thing i don't like too much abotu the Sammy-Ribs-Kovy line is that none of them seem to give it their all every shift. It might hurt to watch lol.

I did say... but others (including Ribeiro) have shown they too can make magic moves once in a while... and that's the thing about Kovy... he only does it once in a while

ONCE IN A WHILE... Kovy has always been OIAW... when he's not doing it all the time he's no better than anyone else, now is he? I can't believe you put Samsanov ahead of others on the team!

bw6

You just don't know enough about Samsonov as a player obviously.

For you to even compare his offensive skills with Ribeiro is laughable, please tell me you're joking! How much have you really watched Samsonov play? And be honest...

Kovy makes 4.25 and most teams would be glad to pay it, Ribeiro is overpaid at 1.9 and most teams would not look at him twice for that salary. I mean, this is about as cut and dry as it gets, there is NO comparison between samsonov or kovalev to ribeiro, it's like comparing Forsberg to Horcoff, get a grip!

"Once in a while"? More like 3/4's of the time and every single game in the post season.

But it's no surprise. With Kovalev, you take the good with the bad, but the good vastly outweights the bad... :wink:

100% agreed. i like him, but i'm not his biggest fan (what i mean by that, there're players i like more on habs team). he makes me mad sometimes when he's not giving it all, but then, i know what he can do, even if he plays 100% only once in a while, it's worth.

All of you are saying Kovalev shows up when he wants to and slacks off most of the time, I see him more as a clutch player who plays well when he NEEDS to and when the team needs him to. He may not always show up but when he does it's always at the most fortune time. That's my take on this... :D

Archived