The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

14 Tomas Plekanec 06-07

jl-1

Guest KOIVU#11

I love this guy, he's one of my favorites, mainly becuase he reminds me so much of Koivu, he's a great passer and he has nice hands, he's a playmaker who can score, I can't wait to see this guy develop he's gonna be great.

Guest KOIVU#11
You could have said Saku Koivu too... in fact I compare Pleks to Koivu in terms of style... but is that what Gainey wants? The problem the way I see it, is that when the going gets tough both Kovalev and Samsonov may disappear and Pleks will be on his own... whereas a stronger and bigger centerman may give Kovy and Samsonov more courage and confidence as opposed to fear.

bw6

IMO, Kovalev and Samsanov should be able to have lots of courage and should inspire Pleks, not the other way around, these guys are vets, they should be able to power through themselves when the going gets tough.

Guest zachary-jean
IMO, Kovalev and Samsanov should be able to have lots of courage and should inspire Pleks, not the other way around, these guys are vets (not so much Sammy), they should be able to power through themselves when the going gets tough.

Samsonov's been in the league almost ten years.

IMO, Kovalev and Samsanov should be able to have lots of courage and should inspire Pleks, not the other way around, these guys are vets, they should be able to power through themselves when the going gets tough.
The key here is "Should Be"... but will they? They aren't tough spirited are they? Kovalev may be tough for one shift and disappear the next... and Samsonov is just too small to be that tough IMO. This doesn't make them bad players and I'm not knocking what they can bring to the table... just an observation relating to what I've seen in the past. Besides I wouldn't want to see them trying to be tough and taken off their game.

bw6

Guest swansee

I've been saying this for a while....Plekanec is one of our best and brightest players!.....I've had the privilege to watch him for a number of seasons in Hamilton and he is smart, fast, willing to pay the price and has incredible heart and work ethic......read his diary on his website......this is the type of player we need.....not the Ribeiros, Hossas, Hainseys etc. (I might add S.Kostitsyn here....but we'll see). I'm glad he is getting the chance.....he won't disappoint....way to go Tomas!!!

Guest Thibodosa

im not saying that i have any doubts and he looked good the other night as the #2 centerman... but do u think hes big enough body wise to do the job all season... im not trying to knock him and i guess sammy isnt very big either but he'll be facing some big guys out there... anybody wanna speculat

Guest cup crazy88
The key here is "Should Be"... but will they? They aren't tough spirited are they? Kovalev may be tough for one shift and disappear the next... and Samsonov is just too small to be that tough IMO. This doesn't make them bad players and I'm not knocking what they can bring to the table... just an observation relating to what I've seen in the past. Besides I wouldn't want to see them trying to be tough and taken off their game.

bw6

I don't get people who comment on how players magically show up one shift and dissapear the next, i mean its obvious you are not going to get a shot on goal or scoring chance every time u step foot on the ice, but dont tell u actually see a noticable difference every shift, you guys are just rl overexagertating..

Plekanec will have 2 quality wingers this season and has better spead/defensive ability than ribeiro, and has good vision himself. He impressed me a lot last season and i think he is up for the challenge.

Guest swansee
im not saying that i have any doubts and he looked good the other night as the #2 centerman... but do u think hes big enough body wise to do the job all season... im not trying to knock him and i guess sammy isnt very big either but he'll be facing some big guys out there... anybody wanna speculat

A very valid question!!....but again after watching him in the AHL under the 'old rules' (and with the usual poor AHL reffing) Tomas took a pounding game in and game out and rarely missed a game and certainly did not back down! He is very tough and determined.......he perfectly suits the new NHL. His other great talent was short-handed goals!!!!!!

Guest MTL_is_CHC
I've been saying this for a while....Plekanec is one of our best and brightest players!.....I've had the privilege to watch him for a number of seasons in Hamilton and he is smart, fast, willing to pay the price and has incredible heart and work ethic......read his diary on his website......this is the type of player we need.....not the Ribeiros, Hossas, Hainseys etc. (I might add S.Kostitsyn here....but we'll see).  I'm glad he is getting the chance.....he won't disappoint....way to go Tomas!!!

did you mean A. Kostitsyn?

The 2 players i hated the most on the canadiens last year was..

BULIS. WOW I HATED THIS GUY!

Second being Riberio.

I am glad to see that they have both left the building, Concerning Plekanics, i did notice him last year, i thought he was a very good puck handler, but sometimes he tried to do too much.

Im looking forward to him taking the place, of ribs

The problem the way I see it, is that when the going gets tough both Kovalev and Samsonov may disappear and Pleks will be on his own...bw6

I seem to remember a certain Kovalev that you claim may disappear when the going gets tough-laying out Darcy Tucker like a cheap rug and then dropping the gloves with him. I don't think we have to worry about team thoughness.

I seem to remember a certain Kovalev that you claim may disappear when the going gets tough-laying out Darcy Tucker like a cheap rug and then dropping the gloves with him.  I don't think we have to worry about team thoughness.

yes but if that had of been Koivu that Tucker tried to clip with an elbow would Kovalev jumped in and layed him out like a cheap rug :D

back to the subject of Pleks: ever since he beat eddie the eagle last year in that game where Markov ended up suspended afterwards I have liked Pleks. He has a very good shot and is useful on the attack and on the defense.

Guest Musketball
I seem to remember a certain Kovalev that you claim may disappear when the going gets tough-laying out Darcy Tucker like a cheap rug and then dropping the gloves with him.  I don't think we have to worry about team thoughness.

You misunderstood his point.....

He's saying that pleks will be left all alone if Kovy and Sammy don't show up to play. It's a valid concern, but I think 2 new linemates might just wake up old Kovy.

He's saying that pleks will be left all alone if Kovy and Sammy don't show up to play.  It's a valid concern, but I think 2 new linemates might just wake up old Kovy.

You're quite right-I did miss the point. I thought he was making his statement strictly from a toughness point of view.

If his linemates do abandon him on certain nights then it'll be up to Pleks to play through it and make things happen. It'll be in these times that he proves he truly deserves the 2nd line spot.

However-from what little I've seen, it looks like Kovy finally has linemates that he can work with rather than in spite of.

If his linemates do abandon him on certain nights then it'll be up to Pleks to play through it and make things happen.  It'll be in these times that he proves he truly deserves the 2nd line spot.

However-from what little I've seen, it looks like Kovy finally has linemates that he can work with rather than in spite of.

thats one of the reason I think Pleks will fit in well with Kovalev. Pleks can adjust to any situation thrown his way ( as the coaches have said) and Kovalev is one of those guys who seems to be 2 or 3 plays ahead of everyone else. Pleks should be able to follow Kovalev's lead and keep up.

Guest halifax_habs
If his linemates do abandon him on certain nights then it'll be up to Pleks to play through it and make things happen. It'll be in these times that he proves he truly deserves the 2nd line spot.

That's a lot of weight on Pleks, he can't be held accountable for the rest of the line. I'd bet my house Pleks will show up and try to make things happen every game of his NHL career (I love the way this guy plays) but if Kovy and Samsonov don't show up than the line won't work. Unless you're Crosby or Thorton etc. you can't make a line work by yourself.

He's saying that pleks will be left all alone if Kovy and Sammy don't show up to play.  It's a valid concern, but I think 2 new linemates might just wake up old Kovy.

Actually NO... I was voicing an opinon based on observation that Kovalev, although he is big and strong and can be tough at times does have a tendency to disappear in very physical and tough games... I added to that, the fact that Samsonov is too small to be a tough guy and Pleks, although he has a ton of heart and talent, may not be able to bring about the same desire and courage in his linemates.

I like Pleks very much as I've said many times, but do feel that Gainey may still be looking for a bigger, stronger and tougher center to play between Samsonov and Kovalev. I say this when I think of the Stanley Cup Finals last year and watched with regret how much a center like Rod Brind'Amour meant to Carolina in going all the way. Many great lines of the past had a important component of toughness... and size. I believe this is the one thing that could take this team over the top.

bw6

Actually NO... I was voicing an opinon based on observation that Kovalev, although he is big and strong and can be tough at times does have a tendency to disappear in very physical and tough games... I added to that, the fact that Samsonov is too small to be a tough guy and Pleks, although he has a ton of heart and talent, may not be able to bring about the same desire and courage in his linemates.

I like Pleks very much as I've said many times, but do feel that Gainey may still be looking for a bigger, stronger and tougher center to play between Samsonov and Kovalev. I say this when I think of the Stanley Cup Finals last year and watched with regret how much a center like Rod Brind'Amour meant to Carolina in going all the way. Many great lines of the past had a important component of toughness... and size. I believe this is the one thing that could take this team over the top.

bw6

Brindamour is a special kind of player, and I would say Saku is our equivalent of that.

Johnson can always step into the #2 role at 6ft 2" 220lbs. But with the speed of Samsonov, Kovalev and Plekanec, I don't think they will have problem with the physical game, Pleks crashes and bangs pretty good, and Sammsy and Kovy are both very hard to knock off the puck.

Brindamour is a special kind of player, and I would say Saku is our equivalent of that.

Johnson can always step into the #2 role at 6ft 2" 220lbs. But with the speed of Samsonov, Kovalev and Plekanec, I don't think they will have problem with the physical game, Pleks crashes and bangs pretty good, and Sammsy and Kovy are both very hard to knock off the puck.

We can only hope this will be enough... I still have my doubts. If we want Kovalev to be the greatest player we've had on this team since the seventies, then we need a top-notch # 1 center for him to play with and must build the team around his talents.

bw6

bw6

I totally see your point. Kovalev can get easily frustrated in those games, and that's what throws him off. I remember a particular few games against the Devils and the Bruins last year that he was thrown off his game because he got rocked by a few big hits, and kept getting roughed up.

And, no discredit to Plekanec, but in no way is he an enforcer. Hopefully his attitude will help Kovalev keep his head in the game though.

That leads me to a great point about Plekanec--the guy is a work-horse. He has amazing work ethic, and gives it his all 95 % of the time. If he gets comfortable on a personal level with Kovalev and Samsonov, hopefully this can rub off on them.

Guest Godfather

This guy is young and he will be an asset to play iun between Kovy and Samy because these guys think up on the fly. Pleks showed us some of his creativity last season and a bit this preseason...nbow just wait for the chemistry to build...look out montreal is gonna have 2 tight scorin lines!

I totally see your point. Kovalev can get easily frustrated in those games, and that's what throws him off. I remember a particular few games against the Devils and the Bruins last year that he was thrown off his game because he got rocked by a few big hits, and kept getting roughed up. And, no discredit to Plekanec, but in no way is he an enforcer. Hopefully his attitude will help Kovalev keep his head in the game though. That leads me to a great point about Plekanec--the guy is a work-horse. He has amazing work ethic, and gives it his all 95 % of the time. If he gets comfortable on a personal level with Kovalev and Samsonov, hopefully this can rub off on them.
Right now I can't see anyone else who can step into the slot between Samsonov and Kovalev and have an impact the way he can... after Koivu I think he may just be the most versatile, talented forward we have aside from perhaps Mike Johnson. Let's hope he stays healthy as long as he is needed to fill that role.

bw6

Archived