The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

14 Tomas Plekanec 06-07

jl-1

Guest hogtownhabsfan

These two guys on the score today were arguing over whether Montreal would make the playoffs. One of them said:

"If Montreal was any smaller up front they wouldn't be alowed on the rides at Disney Land. Montreal needs a pitbull."

The other guy responded with:

"Why would you want a pitbull when you are chasing greyhounds?"

And hes right. The class of the East are the Sens, the Sabres, the Canes, and possibly the Rangers. And we have a pitbull, his name is Garth Murray. And if Lats can take away Perez's spot on the 3rd line beside Bonk and Johnson, maybe Downey would fill in on the 4th next to Murray and Begin. Then we would have 2 great scoring lines, a big checking line that could score, and one of the most aggressive 4th lines in hockey. And both Murray and Downey would NEED to play lights out hockey if they want to keep there spots over Kostitsyn and Perezhogin.

The point is we have our skilled guys playing together, and i think that is a good thing. I thought Pleks was a better player than Ribs last year as a rookie, and he will be even better this year. And hopefully his hustle will inspire Samsonov and Kovalev to hustle. And if that happens, LOOK OUT!

I also look forward to seeing Niinimaa being a solid if unspectacular D-man who can chip in with some offence. And it is never a bad thing to have depth and competition on the back end. With the presence of Plekanec and now Niinimaa, there is no doubt in my mind that it was a good trade.

Great Back Checking last night by Pleks, what a great player, im glad to see him getting his muh deserved chance on the 2nd line, he covered up alot of defensive mistakes by his linemates like a cat after it takes a poop.

He is exactly what was missing to this line, He cant stop all the defensive mistakes made by the line, but he will certainly stop alot more than Ribs would have stopped. So here is credit to you Pleks, great game, great hustle, and you opened up the ice for the Russians like Moses, alot of chances created last night were mostly thanks in part to Pleks first pass or patience entering the zone.

Guest jfk0202
Just a little fun with nicknames here...

If Pleks can light it up as the finisher on his line being fed the puck by Sammi and Kovy, we could call him Tommy-Gun!

I don't think it'l turn out that way though, him being the center workhorse that he is... and a playmaker in his own right.

bw6

LOVE IT....great name...hope he scores a few so we can go with it!!!

Long live Tommy Gun HEHE

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thibodosa

he can hold the puck low and make some plays but as we seen tonight in the second when sammy and kovy both put a shure goal on his stick he couldnt finish,, i say hes playing good.. but hes not putting up points,, on third line i think he would fitt better, casue hes very good defensivly and can be offensive

Guest zachary-jean
This guy hasn't stepped up and he hasn't done the job we expected him to do, IMO it's time to start the search for a 2nd line center.

I agree...I was hoping for a lot more from him. Maybe my expectations were a little high, but they seemed on par with most people's around these parts. A bona fide #2 center would definately help kick our second line into gear, I think. Who or how to acquire that person...well, I have no idea.

I agree...I was hoping for a lot more from him. Maybe my expectations were a little high, but they seemed on par with most people's around these parts. A bona fide #2 center would definately help kick our second line into gear, I think. Who or how to acquire that person...well, I have no idea.

There's just gotta be a way to grab Lang out of Detroit...There's just gotta..

This guy hasn't stepped up and he hasn't done the job we expected him to do, IMO it's time to start the search for a 2nd line center.
I can't believe the Habs management and coaches were really hanging their hopes on Plekanecs for more than a temporary patch until they could get the center they've obviously already been looking for... that would not be fair to Pleks in his second year... He is trying his best but are his linemates? something has to give with Samsonov and Kovalev... did you hear Carbo's comments again tonight... he said he will not accept people not showing up to play their hardest ever.

bw6

Guest Thibodosa
did you hear Carbo's comments again tonight... he said he will not accept people not showing up to play their hardest ever.

bw6

yeh i agree but i think pleks is playing his hardest its not that hes playing bad out there, i think its just a little over his head for who hes playing with,, i think in a year or 2 he could, but right now if he was on thid line playing like that,, i think would be a lot better

yeh i agree but i think pleks is playing his hardest its not that hes playing bad out there, i think its just a little over his head for who hes playing with,, i think in a year or 2 he could, but right now if he was on thid line playing like that,, i think would be a lot better
Please don't let Samsonov and Kovalev off the hook on this one... Sammy sat tonight... not Pleks

Guest Thibodosa
Please don't let Samsonov and Kovalev off the hook on this one... Sammy sat tonight... not Pleks

o no im not saying anything about sammy and lovy being there best..

Not only is Plekanec not ready to be a number 2 center, but he would much better serve this team on the 4th imo, Begin is just better as a winger when he can get in on the forcheck and hit guys rather then having to play a little smarter and laying back a little more. Pleks is perfect for that role.

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Samsonov _____ Kovalev

Johnson Bonk Perezhogin

Begin Plekanec Latendresse

i dont know about him on 4th, but i wouldnt wanna break up the third

that's my point, I don't want to break up the 3rd either, that's why I think a 4th line of Begin Pleks Latendresse would be great. I just don't see Pleks as a number 2 center, and I don't want to break up the 1st or 3rd line, that means outside help is needed imo.

Guest Thibodosa
that's my point, I don't want to break up the 3rd either, that's why I think a 4th line of Begin Pleks Latendresse would be great. I just don't see Pleks as a number 2 center, and I don't want to break up the 1st or 3rd line, that means outside help is needed imo.

yeh i know what you mean.. i agree,, i guess the 4th is still an energy line and the way pleks can work down low with his line now and i think lats could do it to,, maybe those two would work well

Not only is Plekanec not ready to be a number 2 center, but he would much better serve this team on the 4th imo, Begin is just better as a winger when he can get in on the forcheck and hit guys rather then having to play a little smarter and laying back a little more. Pleks is perfect for that role.

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Samsonov _____ Kovalev

Johnson Bonk Perezhogin

Begin Plekanec Latendresse

This has been the problem since the start of the season... and has yet to be addressed... until the Habs have a second line that can be as dangerous as our first, they are not contenders. It starts at center... but I believe Pleks could play great on the 3rd or 4th line...

bw6

thats one of the reason I think Pleks will fit in well with Kovalev. Pleks can adjust to any situation thrown his way ( as the coaches have said)  and Kovalev is one of those guys who seems to be 2 or 3 plays ahead of everyone else. Pleks should be able to follow Kovalev's lead and keep up.

Don't think so, Kindred.

Tonight on the very 1st shift, Kovy, just by angling his blade, redirected a perfect pass to Pleks en route to the net. Pleks felt a breeze, but he still hasn't seen the puck. :D

Never be critical of a fellow Hab- So, certainly Pleks has his talents, but he just isn't on the same wave length as Kovalev.

I honestly don't think Pleks is the only problem on the second line. Samsonov doesn't seem interested in finishing plays. Not sure what's up with him, but Carbonneau is not going to tolerate slackers, so they'd better shape up.

I'd be fine with putting Pleks on the fourth line and moving Bégin back to the wing if we had someone to step in at centre on the second line. In any case, I feel bad for Plekanec. He's only in his second year and perhaps our expecations of him were too high.

I honestly don't think Pleks is the only problem on the second line. Samsonov doesn't seem interested in finishing plays. Not sure what's up with him, but Carbonneau is not going to tolerate slackers, so they'd better shape up.

I'd be fine with putting Pleks on the fourth line and moving Bégin back to the wing if we had someone to step in at centre on the second line. In any case, I feel bad for Plekanec. He's only in his second year and perhaps our expecations of him were too high.

Why not Bonk... and putting Pleks at center on the third... ah it won't happen anyway!

bw6

he benched one slacker in the 3rd

You're right, Brian. Latendresse on the line. I think this was because Kovy was starting to get roughed up, and as a result, Kovy was cross-checking and slashing.

That, of course, gets back to some of the initial quotes in this thread, that the Habs don't have an enforcer.

Archived