The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't say that Souray made ALL the difference, but he certainly helped. He had a great season with us last year. We can't take that away from him.

The Oilers team has been playing horribly, they look scattered, unprepared and just young out there. Of course, there isn't too much Souray can do on his own. He needs the rest of them playing too.

i agree. plus, the oilers have no clue how to use shelly on power play. the guy is standing on the blue line waiting for a puck, but it's not coming, he can't use his weapon.

and now he's injuried...

hockeybuzz.com reports he will be back in 3-4 weeks

Guest habs_fan1160
i agree. plus, the oilers have no clue how to use shelly on power play. the guy is standing on the blue line waiting for a puck, but it's not coming, he can't use his weapon.

and now he's injuried...

hockeybuzz.com reports he will be back in 3-4 weeks

Damnnnnnnn, three to four weeks is a long time. I'm going to see the Oil/Wild on Oct. 25 and was really looking forward to seeing him out there. Looks like I'll have to suffer now.

Bad news.

Guest P.Royfan

Thank you Bob Gainey. To all of those who said not re-signing Souray was a huge mistake please our PP as of today is ranked #1. And that "team toughness" that we lost well it's working out well for EDM right now isn't! I wish some of the anti Gainey people would suck it up and appologize! I know it's early in the season but still. Over 5 million for Souray WAS overpaying.

Thank you Bob Gainey. To all of those who said not re-signing Souray was a huge mistake please our PP as of today is ranked #1. And that "team toughness" that we lost well it's working out well for EDM right now isn't! I wish some of the anti Gainey people would suck it up and appologize! I know it's early in the season but still. Over 5 million for Souray WAS overpaying.

6-7 games in the season is a little early to gloat isn't it? ;)

6-7 games into the season is also a little early to get injured like that.

Or unfortunate.

Or rather, something some of us could see coming, given how many upper-body injuries Souray has had over the past few years, and given that he elected to forego surgery before last season because it was a contract year and he wanted to put up big numbers.

Guest habs_fan1160

I think he'll be good for Edmonton. He's happy playing there and he was working really hard before his injury. The main problem was Souray would stand wide open on the PP and no one passes to him. They're not using him how they should be.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself after 7 games, but every indication so far shows Souray missing has had really no effect on team. Even I expected our PP would take a hit, yet it is doing just as well (as I've said in the past, give our team and coach more credit for the PP other than just Souray's shot).

Then there is this injury, and while all players can get injured, Souray is at an increased risk thanks to his history. Although to be fair on the Gainey thing, we only got Hamrlik because he took the offer that Souray had refused. Gainey's choice was Souray. Was a "mistake" that worked out quite well in the end, so it's all good.

Again, I wish Souray the best of luck, but honestly nothing this season has surprised me, from being on pace for far less goals and points than last year, to his on pace to -40 to his injury. Giving an injury prone player who has had one really good season, and most of that was just thanks to a hard shot on the powerplay, a 25 million deal has never made sense to me.

Guest P.Royfan
6-7 games in the season is a little early to gloat isn't it? ;)

Kinda like how it was early (before the season even started) to talk about what a bad mistake it was for Gainey to "low ball" Souray? ;)

Kinda like how it was early (before the season even started) to talk about what a bad mistake it was for Gainey to "low ball" Souray? ;)

It still is, what's the point? Didn't we come back with the same offer we gave Hamrlik later? ;)

I actually think Souray will do quite well for the Oilers once he comes back, but in a less feast-or-famine sort of way. That is, he won't put up 65 points again, but he won't go -28 either. I think he finishes the year with around 40 points and a plus-minus ranging anywhere from -8 to 0. Which would be fine for Edmonton, I think.

I actually think Souray will do quite well for the Oilers once he comes back, but in a less feast-or-famine sort of way. That is, he won't put up 65 points again, but he won't go -28 either. I think he finishes the year with around 40 points and a plus-minus ranging anywhere from -8 to 0. Which would be fine for Edmonton, I think.

Is 40 points from a defensman who isn't strong defensively or 5 on 5 overall, really fine for Edmonton? Maybe it's just me, but I thought 5 million was too much for his 65 point season, 40 seems very low considering his salary.

I've got to leave this topic because I think I'm starting to insult Souray, which I don't mean to do, considering he was a class act while here. But let me just say I am loving our defense this season.

I figured I'd put this here since everyone was pretty much saying our powerplay would be nothing without Sheldon.

We're currently 2nd in the league on the powerplay with 26.8% success rate. We're only trailing the Islanders by 0.2% who currently have 27%. Last season we finished with 22.8% to lead the league.

I know it's only the beginning of the season and that it evens out over the course of the season but it just goes to show you that we're still capable on the powerplay(and maybe even better).

Is 40 points from a defensman who isn't strong defensively or 5 on 5 overall, really fine for Edmonton? Maybe it's just me, but I thought 5 million was too much for his 65 point season, 40 seems very low considering his salary.

I've got to leave this topic because I think I'm starting to insult Souray, which I don't mean to do, considering he was a class act while here. But let me just say I am loving our defense this season.

No, no, you got me wrong, Graeme. What I meant was that the lowered points would be accompanied by a better plus-minus rating, and extensively, better defensive-zone coverage. The good-bad extremes would balance out and he'd be a better all-around player, even though he most likely won't put up 65 points.

I agree that he would still be overpaid, though.

Guest voicemajor2000
I figured I'd put this here since everyone was pretty much saying our powerplay would be nothing without Sheldon.

We're currently 2nd in the league on the powerplay with 26.8% success rate. We're only trailing the Islanders by 0.2% who currently have 27%. Last season we finished with 22.8% to lead the league.

I know it's only the beginning of the season and that it evens out over the course of the season but it just goes to show you that we're still capable on the powerplay(and maybe even better).

I know sheldon was a big part of our PP last season, and as a player, I DO miss him, but I believe the keys to our PP are Koivu, Kovalev, and Markov. These are three players who are not afraid to HOLD ON to the puck, and have the ability to carry the play and draw defenders to them, and open up the ice. THey also have the ability to make pin point passes, and to finish the play. THESE are our PP weapons, and they look great so far. I still miss Shelly though. An all around good guy.

Archived