The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

Guest RedLightRacicot
Awwwwwwwwwwww, wasnt aware of this,

I thought the team would be stuck with his cap $

Thanks

New Jersey pulled it off a couple of years ago by getting Moginly and Malakov off the cap due to long term injuries. Before the season started it looked like they had no chance of being under the cap but at the last minute they were able fall just below.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New Jersey pulled it off a couple of years ago by getting Moginly and Malakov off the cap due to long term injuries. Before the season started it looked like they had no chance of being under the cap but at the last minute they were able fall just below.

Actually Malakov was traded to a team who's owners wouldn't allow them to pay up to the cap, so they took on Malakhov's "ghost" cap hit (no real salary) for a draft pick. Sly move by the GM. But the issue with thsoe two was that they both signed their contract over the age of 35, so retiring or going to the minors wouldn't clear the space. With Souray, the Oilers could get rid of the space if they really wanted to.

Awwwwwwwwwwww, wasnt aware of this,

I thought the team would be stuck with his cap $

Thanks

Well not really, but it still screws up long term planning if he were out for a year or something. You can't sign guys in the summer knowing of Souray's contract, even if he's out indefinitely .

Guest habs_fan1160

I'm happy for Sheldon. He said last night that the Oilers have always been a dream of his to play for and with all due respect to New Jersey/Montreal the Oilers were always where he wanted to end up.

Must be great for him to get to play in front of family/friends and be closer to his family.

He's really a class act.

Also, he said Saku Koivu has a lot of style, lol.

• 1 month later...
Guest 1970 Habs
I'm happy for Sheldon. He said last night that the Oilers have always been a dream of his to play for and with all due respect to New Jersey/Montreal the Oilers were always where he wanted to end up.

Must be great for him to get to play in front of family/friends and be closer to his family.

He's really a class act.

Also, he said Saku Koivu has a lot of style, lol.

Me too.

I bet he is happy (or will be) with the personal income tax differential in Alberta (flat rate of 10% no matter how much money you make). :lol:

Rough season for # 44

I read he re aggravated his shoulder injury

Ya not going well. He's on pace for like 7 goals and 25 points (in 57 games). His +/- isn't terrible compared to his teammates, but being a - player, he's only played 16 of 40ish games - so hasn't had as much time for his +/- to drop. His injury woes that were known about last summer are becoming a concern for a player under contract for 5 years. He may still be a good player for Edmonton, but this looks like a rough start fr a dman who's game basically depends on stats.

Gainey is very lucky Souray declined our offer - forcing him to go with Hamrlik - who while not quite as strong as the beginning of the season, has been a solid addition to our defense.

I have nothing against Souray as a person, but this season is exactly the reasons I wouldn't give him that high paying, long term deal: his points (expectedly) went down, injury prone, etc.

Guest voicemajor2000

Miss ya Sheldon. You were a stud on the PP, and had some great years as a Hab. I'm very happy with our group right now though. All the best on a speedy recovery for you Sheldon.

Guest Habsfan4eva

I miss watching that BIG BOOMSTICK on the PP but we are lucky that he declined our offer, look what we have now with Hamrlik, he's really playing well now! GO HABS GO! I hope that things go well for Souray in Edmonton but I do hope that Edmonton misses the playoffs for the next three years, I live in Alberta and have to listen to all my Oil fan buddies talk about how the West is so much faster, stronger, and better hockey! I get RDS and watch every Habs game over here but also get to see a few Oiler games....boring!!! Slow and boring!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CanadianMike

Can this guy catch a break this season with his injuries? No idea how serious it is, but he left last night's game in Florida with a shoulder injury....again! :(

Guest hatethoseleafs
Can this guy catch a break this season with his injuries? No idea how serious it is, but he left last night's game in Florida with a shoulder injury....again! :(

Ouch. He managed to go pretty well injury free with us last year but he's paying the price for it this season. Fortunately for him he got his big payday at the right time. Sucks for Edmonton though.

Guest QbGamer

Wow, Another great move by gainey not sighning this guy. IMagine if our huge contract we signed this year was for someone who was injured for most the season. LoL, ill tell you something we wouldnt be talking about Ryder anymore

Guest King-Carey-31
Too bad we couldnt cash in on this guy. Even if we received a few draft picks, would have ofset the riberio trade.

never mention that trade.

I remember him mentioning something like that his past injuries shouldn't affect any contract negotiations(or lack of) and then all this season he's been nothing but injured.

Guest King-Carey-31
I remember him mentioning something like that his past injuries shouldn't affect any contract negotiations(or lack of) and then all this season he's been nothing but injured.

to be fair he never really had shoulder problems....at least his wrists are holding up.

Guest King-Carey-31
He injured his shoulder in the last game of the year against the Leafs last year

oh, didnt know that (darn TSN only talking about how the leafs won) well, now it makes even less sense why anyone offered him that much in the first place.

He injured his shoulder in the last game of the year against the Leafs last year

it was hurt before that. They had told him he should have surgery but he may not need it. After that Leafs game he didn't have much of a choice.

I hope he gets better and doesn't miss too much time.

Guest Hab_in_Bermuda
i miss sheldon at times, but i think the team is better off, i hope he can rejuvinate his career in Edmonton

+1 I check the oilers games just to see how he is doing. I do that with Theo in Colorado as well lol ya I know I still like Theodore

Archived