The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

Guest QbGamer

I just watched the last game of the year against the leafs, Wow did this guy have a nice slapshot eh.. You could tell the entire team was afraid to get in the way of it. Would be nice if we could train someone to have that kind of slapper on our team now, but he did stink defensively just that slapper, its like close your eyes and run ;)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habs_fan1160

Oh boy, picture this: We paid the high price for Souray and got rid of Markov. The Oilers have Markov and we have Souray. Horrible thought lol.

I feel bad for Souray, he was so excited to play there and he's been plagued with injuries this season. And it's not like they're from crushing hits or falls, they're the most innocent looking injuries.

I've seen him talking to Sportsnet in a suit more than I've seen him play this year.

Hopefully it's not going to sideline him for a long time and hopefully he can be back in the line up with the Oilers soon - not that he's helped them much when he plays, but from watching Oilers games, he's not being used effectivly either.

Guest QbGamer

Hes played 26 games this season, Which means hes already missed 1/2 the season, Pretty brutal for the Oilers one of there. Wait I take that back, There most expensive player by far, (5.4 mill, second to him is 4.25 mill) is out for 1/2 the season, and with all the problems he has been having this season, you can only expect that he wont be healthy for the years to come

You have to wonder how much he would help even if he was healthy. Their powerplay would get better, but their even strength would likely suffer with the way he plays in their own end.

Guest habs_fan1160
You have to wonder how much he would help even if he was healthy. Their powerplay would get better, but their even strength would likely suffer with the way he plays in their own end.

True enough, but even when Souray plays he'll be wide open on the point and no one passes to him, they don't use him the way they should.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone still wonders why Huet wouldn't turn down a long term deal to stay here - this is why. Even though Souray is having a horrible season, he is guaranteed to keep getting a gigantic paycheck for the next 5 seasons. If he had signed a 1 year deal and was a UFA this summer his salary would easily cut in half.

Guest overlords
If anyone still wonders why Huet wouldn't turn down a long term deal to stay here - this is why. Even though Souray is having a horrible season, he is guaranteed to keep getting a gigantic paycheck for the next 5 seasons. If he had signed a 1 year deal and was a UFA this summer his salary would easily cut in half.

Well atleast souray is on IR, so it doesn't count against the cap right? But i can't say i'm very upset that souray is hurt. It will come off like I'm a jerk (hey, i probably am) but he was a fan favorite, had tons of money thrown at him, TONS of kids and grown men had his jersey and he thought he was too good. Well i believe in karma to a certain extent.

Well atleast souray is on IR, so it doesn't count against the cap right

Technically yes, but it is still a problem for the team. Even though they get cap space, while it may help if they want a rental or something, they aren't able to make any big "add salary" trades or sign big free agents because he is still on their books for the next 4 years. So it clears some cap space temporarily, but chances are this isn't used for anything anyways.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
we'll see if he can last the season.

Yep, that's the question. If he plays 82 games he's still not worth the money they gave him but atleast he's an asset.

Frankly, great decision making (or luck that he rejected the offer) by Bob in 07 because Hamrlik is so rock solid and Souray is a major liability with his health and inconsistent defensive play.

Yep, that's the question. If he plays 82 games he's still not worth the money they gave him but atleast he's an asset.

Frankly, great decision making (or luck that he rejected the offer) by Bob in 07 because Hamrlik is so rock solid and Souray is a major liability with his health and inconsistent defensive play.

I do miss sheldon & god can you imagine a top 4 of Markov-Komi, Hamrlik-Souray!! But alas he was offered waaaay too much money to play as our #4. I think most of us agree Hamrlik is a huge upgrade but its still sad to see him gone. ;)

I do miss sheldon & god can you imagine a top 4 of Markov-Komi, Hamrlik-Souray!! But alas he was offered waaaay too much money to play as our #4. I think most of us agree Hamrlik is a huge upgrade but its still sad to see him gone. ;)

I still don't believe he was a top four even strength dman since the lockout. His +/- is surprisingly good this season, so he may be improving in that regard, but we'll see as the season wears on.

In any case, while I wish we had him or Streit for our PP, we can't spend that kind of money on him, especially with his injury problems.

I'd LOVE to see our PP with Souray on it, but at this point I don't think he'd be any better defensively than Josh Gorges (infact, I think he'd be worse).

But, like you alluded too, our defensive payroll would be through the roof!

I still don't believe he was a top four even strength dman since the lockout. His +/- is surprisingly good this season, so he may be improving in that regard, but we'll see as the season wears on.

I think with Hammer beside him, he'd be more than capable in the top 4 - but too costly. remember it was Rivet who was supposed to 'cover up his mistakes' back in the day ;)

Archived