The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

He has one of the hardest slpashots in the league not the fastest.

If he is as bad as you think then what makes you think another team will trade for him ?

He's big , something Montreal is lacking and speed isn't one of his stronger assets but I'm sure Bob Gainey and the coaching staff already know this

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without him are powerplay almost seems useless... If he's not the one scoreing, or grabbing an assist, he's the one opening up the defence (because they want to watch his shot) so that a sniper like kovy or ryder can sneak in a shoot.

Sounds like the Leaf PP with McCabe last year eh ?

And it was pretty successful

I don't know why people are fans of Souray, Sure he has the fastest slap shot in the NHL but that is it. He is a defenseman that can not play defense. I think that we should either trade him or make him a defensive offenceman. let him just take one timers. He is killing this team. The other teams just fly by him. Please tell me what you guys think.

Hellguns

Hellguns, he's not as bad as people think, he just gets the odd play that makes him look bad, he never coughs up the puck, always wins the corner battles, if he gets burned time to time, big deal, he's still better than many defenceman in the NHL.

What makes his shot special is it's heavy, McCabe's is fast, but not heavy. McCabe took a shot that went of a players bare-bone wrist and the worst it did was cut the player, Souray tees up a slapper and shatters a kids ankle through the skate. Because of this, he has the ability to command a powerplay like few others, no one is going to(that or they cringe at the thought) of blocking his shot, it's a beast, and when it hits the goalie, he is thrown off, and heavy shots make rebounds.

He's also a good locker room influence and doesn't cause trouble.

He has alot more pro's than con's, and if we can manage to lock him up cheap for a few years, I'm happy, but he will probably get traded.

Another thing about Souray that can't be overlooked is that he's friggin mean out there. He slashes, chops, hits, and he has a habit of getting away with it, too. He makes players think twice about going into corners or going after our stars.

Plus his shot is one of the best in the league. And not just his slapshot, either, his wrister is incredible. I think we should seriously consider putting him in the shootout; the guy can beat a goalie like nobodies busines and he has some pretty good moves with the puck.

Another thing about Souray that can't be overlooked is that he's friggin mean out there. He slashes, chops, hits, and he has a habit of getting away with it, too. He makes players think twice about going into corners or going after our stars.  

Plus his shot is one of the best in the league. And not just his slapshot, either, his wrister is incredible. I think we should seriously consider putting him in the shootout; the guy can beat a goalie like nobodies busines and he has some pretty good moves with the puck.

I heard from one guy who's been to a few practices that Souray was one of the best in the practice shootouts they do.

Guest frenchy88

In the offensive zone souray plays well. When it comes to his defensive skills he is horrible. For a man thats been playing in the NHL all these years the man can't even play a 1 on 1 correctly. How many top defenseman to you see playing a 1v1 with 2 hands on the stick? He goes for the puck and 75% of the time it doesnt work. He he played it correctly he would take the body and they wouldn't always get around him.

Guest hatethoseleafs

If Souray was as perfect as a lot of posters would like on here, then we would never get scored upon. Facts are that he's often out against the other teams best lines and plays huge minutes. The occasional breakdown can be expected. He got off to a slow start last year because of personal issues and finished much stronger. Its only been two games so far and he was 1st star in one of them. I don't see the problem :confused:

Guest hatethoseleafs
I'm not taking anything away from souray here but he didn't really deserve that 1st star IMO.

Wether he deserved it or not shouldnt be the tell all. The fact that he was considered ONE of the best on the ice that night should be the point. :D

Guest Musketball
Guess you must have missed MARKOV'S bonehead plays also then!!

Actually I didn't. The whole defense is struggling right now. But this is the souray thread. Let's get this straight, I have nothing against souray per se, but his play so far (And I know it's early) is lacking. That's all.

Guest FirstStar

The guy adds alot of depth to our PP and other spects of our game. hatethoseleafs made a good point, he is often up against the opposing teams powerline. He's gonna get beat some times, frankly, when he's hurt or out, the defense struggles without him, not to mention the PP.

He's a great asset to the team, I'll be sad to see him go. Hoser, you made a very good point as well...I'd be curious to see how he'd do on shootouts, probably would surprise a lot of goalies; Due to the fact he's known for his slapshot.

Before the'new' NHL, Sheldon was a perfect fit in his spot IMO.

The rules changed, the game thus changed.

Therefore, Sheldon had no choice but to change as well.

Remember the early part of last season? all the penalties he was taking because he wasn't able to make that adjustment?

Remember how he carried that past mid-season?

He's far beyond that now.

Just the fact that he has gotten his game as far as he has deserves all of our respect.

He's got mine.

In my eyes, he can screw-up a few more times too!!:D

Souray's one of my favourite players on the team. I'm glad to see he got his "A" back. Whenever they put the wire on him so you can hear what he says, it's quite evident that, that letter deserves to be on his jersey. He's always giving tidbits of advice to players such as Markov when he compared Markov to his favourite Russian player, etc.

He brings a lot to the team as has previously been said and I'd be quite disappointed if he was traded or left VIA free agency.

Guest KOIVU#11

I absoultey love this guy, I'm looking foward to another great season for him, hopefully now with his personal problems settled away, he can concentrate properly.

Guest KOIVU#11
The guy adds alot of depth to our PP and other spects of our game. hatethoseleafs made a good point, he is often up against the opposing teams powerline. He's gonna get beat some times, frankly, when he's hurt or out, the defense struggles without him, not to mention the PP.

He's a great asset to the team, I'll be sad to see him go. Hoser, you made a very good point as well...I'd be curious to see how he'd do on shootouts, probably would surprise a lot of goalies; Due to the fact he's known for his slapshot.

Ya actually I'd be curious to see him in a shootout as well, remeber Pronger in the cup finals last year on a Penalty shot?

I agree with pretty much everything everyone is saying about our big Dman.

And I want to point out that i haven't seen that fire in him that I did in the latter part of last season, but that he'll grind out of it. Especially after getting him first goal on a great shot.

Guest gocupcrazy_0607

Souray is like McCabe except McCabe is faster and Souray is tougher. We already have lots of speed in the back end with dandenault, Boulion, and markov ( sorry for the spelling for the names) We need the grit and toughness in souray. Also McCabe is getting paid what? 7 mill??? and souray will be given alot less

Souray is like McCabe except McCabe is faster and Souray is tougher.  We already have lots of speed in the back end with dandenault, Boulion, and markov ( sorry for the spelling for the names) We need the grit and toughness in souray.  Also McCabe is getting paid what? 7 mill??? and souray will be given alot less

McCabe is making around $5 million, and Souray has more heart than McCabe ever will.

Archived