The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Aaron Downey

jl-1

In a way im kind of happy this happened

now Latendresses hit on Dimaio does looks like a cheap shot afterall now doesnt it?

Unlogical hab fans are hilarious, Latendresse "supposedly" lifts an elbow on dimaio and gets thrown out of the game, and the hab fans scream outrage

Regehr legaly hits Downey, with his shoulder,2 second rule in play, no penalty, and the hab fans scream outrage

it goes back to my point of, just because we hate the leafs, doesnt MEAN that they suck, altho i do want them to do bad lol, but some people have this mindset entirely out of whack

DiMaio had the puck.. Downey didn't.

And how exactly can you be happy that Downey was hospitalized?

I don't think the hit was dirty, but I do think it should have been a 2 minute penalty for charging, I would have said that if a Habs player had delivered the hit too...

I hope Aaron is OK, I really do like the guy, and I'm sure he would have delivered the big hit there too. Hope to see Aaron back on the ice soon.

Guest overlords
Well, that's hockey. And if the hit were illegal there would've been a suspension today and you can bet Carbo would've said something. It's an unfortunate result of an extremely high level physical game.

Yeah, because williams was suspended the day after he shoved his stick into koivu's eye socket. The Nhl seems to be lazy when it comes to trying to protect the players of the canadiens players. Don't get all " You're paranoid... blah blah blah" on me, it's just an observation.

Yeah, because williams was suspended the day after he shoved his stick into koivu's eye socket. The Nhl seems to be lazy when it comes to trying to protect the players of the canadiens players. Don't get all " You're paranoid... blah blah blah" on me, it's just an observation.

Well, the Koivu thing should have been a 4 minute penalty, but no way an accidental play like that deserves a suspension, should everyone who clips a player with a high stick be suspended? Those kind of things happen, it’s part of the game, it could have easily been the other way around and we’d all have said “Too bad for Williams, but that’s the way it goes”

Guest Corey Locke

exactly where was the NHL during the Koivu incident

Guest cup crazy88
How many of these hits would you categorize as dirty

Look at this one , he gave the puck away and then was nailed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqNXH35IXY

Ok the difference between the hit on downey and the hit on kariya:

Stevens was arm + sitck length away (the general guideline for when judging an interferance call) and if you want to talk about charging, he didn't take an large amount of stride in order to hit kariya..

Regehr however was too far away (have u seen the reverse angle of hit, you really see just how far away from the boards he was when downey dumped the puck..)

Dirty hit? not especially considering it was contact with the shoulder.. although it was near his head but he did lower it has Reghr was heading in towards him... just late and should have definatly been a 2 min minor called on the play...

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hear...ing_retirement/

"Downey considering retirement

Enforcer Aaron Downey, who suffered a severe concussion Tuesday night against the Calgary Flames at the hands of a Robyn Regehr body check, is reportedly contemplating retirement.

In three games this season, the 32-year-old Downey had accumulated 17 penalty minutes and a minus-1 rating. On Wednesday in Chicago, Garth Murray took his spot in the lineup on the fourth line alongside Steve Begin and rookie Guillaume Latendresse. "

Sad news...

Enforcer Aaron Downey, who suffered a severe concussion Tuesday night against the Calgary Flames at the hands of a Robyn Regehr body check, is reportedly contemplating retirement.

In three games this season, the 32-year-old Downey had accumulated 17 penalty minutes and a minus-1 rating. On Wednesday in Chicago, Garth Murray took his spot in the lineup on the fourth line alongside Steve Begin and rookie Guillaume Latendresse. "

Sad news...

As sad as it is though, it might lead to an even greater coaching or administrative career in hockey. He might become a top scout something like that. Whatever he decides I wish him all the best. But he does have to think about his long term health in this matter.

Sad news...

Would be very sorry to see him retire - Downey is a spark plug for the Habs

Guest zachary-jean
 But he does have to think about his long term health in this matter.

Exactly. I'd much rather see him bow out now than be forced to leave due to a more serious/permanent injury. It's always sad to see players go, especially in such a fashion, but sometimes it's just for the best.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

I was listening to Team 990 this morning and PJ had an interview with Downey, who had returned from a session with the trainers. He was getting a massage for the back of his neck to relieve the pressure. He a bit of whiplash it seems. The interview was pretty good.Downey said he never felt better. It seems the hit has moved some of the rocks around and cleared his head a little. He was joking about using words he never knew that he had in his vocabulary. PJ played Downey some comments by Souray, and he liked what he heard. He was glad to hear that the guys wanted to win the game for him. Downey didn't like the fact that he was set up with a screen and then Regher coming in and hitting him, but he did say if it was him he probably would have done the same thing. He also said it was unfortunate that they don't play them again this year, cause he is looking for some retribution. All in all it was an interesting interview, and look for Downey to be on the ice next week. No mention of retirement at all.

Cheers

I was listening to Team 990 this morning and PJ had an interview with Downey, who had returned from a session with the trainers. He was getting a massage for the back of his neck to relieve the pressure. He a bit of whiplash it seems. The interview was pretty good. No mention of retirement in fact if they would let him he'd play today if there was a game. Downey said he never felt better. It seems the hit has moved some of the rocks around and cleared his head a little. He was joking about using words he never knew that he had in his vocabulary. PJ played Downey some comments by Souray, and he liked what he heard. He was glad to hear that the guys wanted to win the game for him. Downey didn't like the fact that he was set up with a screen and then Regher coming inand hitting him, but he did say if it was him he probably would have done the same thing. He also said it was unfortunate that they don't play them again this year, cause he is looking for some retribution. All in all it was an interesting interview, and look for Downey to be on the ice next week.

Cheers

Awesome! I love this guy's attitude.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

I didn't know much about him at all. I really enjoyed the interview. Downey knows what and who is is. A fourth line grinder and he wants to do the job well. He was joking about the John Travolta movie Phenomenon, and was saying perhaps the hit will have given him some skills and he can start scoring. Sure doesn't sound like a man that is considering retireing to me! I do believe I have a new Habs favorite. Spuds Downey!

I was listening to Team 990 this morning and PJ had an interview with Downey, who had returned from a session with the trainers. He was getting a massage for the back of his neck to relieve the pressure. He a bit of whiplash it seems. The interview was pretty good.Downey said he never felt better. It seems the hit has moved some of the rocks around and cleared his head a little. He was joking about using words he never knew that he had in his vocabulary. PJ played Downey some comments by Souray, and he liked what he heard. He was glad to hear that the guys wanted to win the game for him. Downey didn't like the fact that he was set up with a screen and then Regher coming in and hitting him, but he did say if it was him he probably would have done the same thing. He also said it was unfortunate that they don't play them again this year, cause he is looking for some retribution. All in all it was an interesting interview, and look for Downey to be on the ice next week. No mention of retirement at all.

Cheers

This is wonderful news on so many levels.

First off it's good to hear he's OK.

Second I'm glad he's ready to get back on the ice. It would have been a shame if this incident had cost him his career.

Third, I like his positive attitude, and spinning negatives for motivation. Things like this rub off on others in the locker room.

I hope he gets back in to playing form (not at the risk of serious injury of course...only if he's really able to)

Downey, you rock man! And I speak for most of us when I say you are an important part of this team!

Guest cup crazy88
Kariya definitely wasn't an arm's length away from Stevens. He was an arm's length from the defender right beside him; when he dishes the puck, Stevens isn't even in the shot.

His arm + his stick, if he would have held is arm straight out with the stick in his hands that would have been about right... they are not gonne mesure or anything of crouse but that is the basic guide line for interferance calls.. trust me on this one i just took my reffing course :D

How many of these hits would you categorize as dirty

Look at this one , he gave the puck away and then was nailed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqNXH35IXY

wow :shock: ...I don’t know what to say about that video clip. I feel sick after watching the players getting picked off the ice, or crawling to the bench...disturbing.

I mean I know it's hockey, but when does a hit go from a cruncher to intent to injure...IMO it's when you lower the shoulder pad (which is as hard as steel) in line with a brain (a most delicate and least protected part of ones body).

The fact that he caught them going the wrong way with their heads down makes him a good player. The fact that 8/10 those players never recovered from those long term injuries is not something that should be overlooked.

A concussion is no joke, and should not be a notch on ones badge. This is just my opinion, but it ruins lives. Eric Lindros had limitless potential. Now he looks like an oversized broccoli floating around the rink.

If you disagree with this I ask you to re-watch the hit during the Carolina game, and imagine for a second that’s your brother, or father looking like a 3 month old trying to get back to the bench…..just disturbing.

wow :shock: ...I don’t know what to say about that video clip. I feel sick after watching the players getting picked off the ice, or crawling to the bench...disturbing.

I mean I know it's hockey, but when does a hit go from a cruncher to intent to injure...IMO it's when you lower the shoulder pad (which is as hard as steel) in line with a brain (a most delicate and least protected part of ones body).  

The fact that he caught them going the wrong way with their heads down makes him a good player. The fact that 8/10 those players never recovered from those long term injuries is not something that should be overlooked.

A concussion is no joke, and should not be a notch on ones badge. This is just my opinion, but it ruins lives. Eric Lindros had limitless potential. Now he looks like an oversized broccoli floating around the rink.  

If you disagree with this I ask you to re-watch the hit during the Carolina game, and imagine for a second that’s your brother, or father looking like a 3 month old trying to get back to the bench…..just disturbing.

Yes, but those guys had their heads down. Lindros got levelled by Stevens coming inside the zone with his head down like he was still playing in Peewee.

I see where you're getting at but a clean hit is a clean hit. It's part of the game.

Keep your head up. That's basic live-saving knowledge in contact hockey.

Yes, but those guys had their heads down. Lindros got levelled by Stevens coming inside the zone with his head down like he was still playing in Peewee.  

I see where you're getting at but a clean hit is a clean hit. It's part of the game.  

Keep your head up. That's basic live-saving knowledge in contact hockey.

Right, and I wasn't touching on whether they were clean or not. My appologies if it was not clear. I believe that all those hits were legal.

However I believe all those hits were also intent to injure, and I never realised how often these things happen.

Archived