The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest FunkyOne
Good for him. He should give Gainey 50% of his salary for trading him as that's what opened his eyes, the turning point of his career.

Pfft come on, not only do you call him a "cancer" of the locker room, now you claim that Gainey opened his eyes??

I know you don't like the guy but give credit where credit is due, he cashed out. He's going to get paid more than Koivu and is performing (on a points level, not a leadership level) ahead of anyone on our team. I'm happy for the guy and wish him the best. Maybe it'll open Gainey's eyes to signing longer deals instead of perpetual 1-yearly's. Higgins and Komi will need big raises, Plekanec, Chipchura, Price, Latendresse and the Kostitsyn's too. Bob should get off his high horse of not dealing through the season and sign these talents before they run away to greener (and warmer!) pastures.

Pfft come on, not only do you call him a "cancer" of the locker room, now you claim that Gainey opened his eyes??

I know you don't like the guy but give credit where credit is due, he cashed out. He's going to get paid more than Koivu and is performing (on a points level, not a leadership level) ahead of anyone on our team. I'm happy for the guy and wish him the best. Maybe it'll open Gainey's eyes to signing longer deals instead of perpetual 1-yearly's. Higgins and Komi will need big raises, Plekanec, Chipchura, Price, Latendresse and the Kostitsyn's too. Bob should get off his high horse of not dealing through the season and sign these talents before they run away to greener (and warmer!) pastures.

Hold on a second here... Ribeiro is the one who admitted to that a few months ago. The link for the article is probably somewhere in this thread. Don't get mad at Gainey or at me, get mad at Ribeiro for admitting it! :P

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Wow. Despite the problems he had here, I'm thinking when we look back on history this probably won't be one of the trades that Gainey will be bragging about. Although moving Ribs made way for Plekanek, so it's tough to say. If we win a cup in a couple of years, you can't really say trading Ribs was necessarily a mistake - even if he is scoring 40 goals.

Well we did get Andrew Conboy out of it too. He's 6'4, 200lbs and has 113 PIM in 29 games with the Omaha Lancers.

In hindsight, obviously this is one of the trades Bob Gainey might regret a bit but honestly who would've thought Janne Niinimaa would be such a bust? I was optimistic in training camp about him but I guess it just didn't work out as planned.

I'm happy for Ribeiro, he seems happier in Dallas and I hope he continues to keep up his scoring pace.

Hold on a second here... Ribeiro is the one who admitted to that a few months ago. The link for the article is probably somewhere in this thread. Don't get mad at Gainey or at me, get mad at Ribeiro for admitting it! :P

I remember seeing an interview with him just after word got out he was traded. He (Ribeiro) had this blank look on his face and said

"I guess it's time for me to grow up"

I'm glad to see he finally grew up and hope he has a good time in Dllas because with his family in Montreal holding his hand he wasn't going to grow up here.

Guest CanadianMike

this rat has a horseshoe up his... good for him though. He is talented and Iknow why he got traded or whatever (I was never a fan of his anyways), but this has to be one of the worse trades in Habs history.

Guest Bourne

Well I find this amusing. The people on TSN are screaming how ridiculous this contract is or simply are bad mouthing Ribeiro. Nice to see that is not the case here. Nevertheless I am happy for the guy, although I was one that heavily wished for his trade. He has been moving up in my favorite player listing. I still state without question it was best for both the Canadiens and Ribeiro that he was traded, as his style was to steal the show and when you have Kovalev, Higgins, Komisarek, Markov, Huet, Plekanek and so forth, that would not have been possible for him.

Nonetheless definitely a steal for Dallas as I suspect Ribeiro, should he continue to keep playing the way he is, will make Captain for the Stars one day. Unfortunately the trading of Ribeiro will forever remain a red mark on Gainey's report card' not the trade itself but who was involved in the trade.

Well we did get Andrew Conboy out of it too. He's 6'4, 200lbs and has 113 PIM in 29 games with the Omaha Lancers.

In hindsight, obviously this is one of the trades Bob Gainey might regret a bit but honestly who would've thought Janne Niinimaa would be such a bust? I was optimistic in training camp about him but I guess it just didn't work out as planned.

I'm happy for Ribeiro, he seems happier in Dallas and I hope he continues to keep up his scoring pace.

Well he was being benched in Dallas previously. We took him knowing what we were getitng, but thinking there was some potential to see the Ninimaa of old - that was far from guaranteed. Honestly, I think Ninimaa's value at the time, considering his salary, was a mid to late round pick. Ribs was essentially a player dump.

Signed a 5 yr $ 25 million contrcat with Dallas

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226731&hubname=

Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - The Dallas Stars signed center Mike Ribeiro to a five-year, $25 million contract extension on Monday

The deal runs through the 2012-2013 season. Ribeiro's current contract was set to expire at the conclusion of the 2007-08 campaign.

"Mike has made a big impact on our hockey club the past two seasons and we are very happy to have him under contract," said co-general manager Brett Hull. "He makes things happen on the ice and will only continue to grow as a player."

The 27-year-old Ribeiro already has 21 goals -- a career high -- and 23 assists on the season.

Originally drafted by the Canadiens in 1998, the Montreal native has 89 goals and 167 helpers in 397 games for the Canadiens and Stars

Thats crazy money. Sure he's had a great start to the season, point-wise but thats more than koivu makes!

Well he was being benched in Dallas previously. We took him knowing what we were getitng, but thinking there was some potential to see the Ninimaa of old - that was far from guaranteed. Honestly, I think Ninimaa's value at the time, considering his salary, was a mid to late round pick. Ribs was essentially a player dump.

I think niinimaa's value may have been slightly higher than that, but not much. He was a slumping player getting a fresh start in montreal, nothing more or less - unfortunately for us, it went the wrong way not the way Teemu's comeback did ;)

No question in my mind Ribs was a salary dump. That being said, I honestly believe gainey looked at all options first. I highly doubt he thought "well I want to dump ribs lets just take the first offer that comes along" chances are he was on the phone quite a bit & maybe Dallas was the only team willing to move an actual roster player for him, who knows. Does it hurt that he's outscoring our team? yes...but I still believe he'd never have had this sort of career if he'd have stayed in montreal. We'll never know.

Thats crazy money. Sure he's had a great start to the season, point-wise but thats more than koivu makes!

Although this season he's on pace to be far greater statically than Koivu is or ever has been. Considering what Koivu does make - and the fact that it was signed under a 39 million cap - so in today's world is closer to 6 million, had they waited to see if Ribs was the real deal, he'd be a UFA and likely be demanding more than Koivu makes. With the salary cap, GMs have to take risks. This could turn out to be a ripoff, but could also be a great deal. It sounds nuts to us, but I completely understand why Dallas did it.

Guest d80jcrant
Although this season he's on pace to be far greater statically than Koivu is or ever has been. Considering what Koivu does make - and the fact that it was signed under a 39 million cap - so in today's world is closer to 6 million, had they waited to see if Ribs was the real deal, he'd be a UFA and likely be demanding more than Koivu makes. With the salary cap, GMs have to take risks. This could turn out to be a ripoff, but could also be a great deal. It sounds nuts to us, but I completely understand why Dallas did it.

Only time will tell I guess, I don't think he is worth that much but that is just me. Sometimes U just got to overpay

Guest QbGamer

GREAT point, i read above someone commenting that gainey sighning bad contracts. The shorter the contract the better it is for everyone, and i truely agree with his theory, Look what would have happened if we signed Ryder to a huge contract this offseason, it would have been in the press, people would have lost there hair over it. The slow patient manner is truely the best way. Its just hard to convince everyone of this, as who wouldnt prefer garenteed $ over a prolonged amount of years. But is diffently best for the team as a whole

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats Mike!!! Oh how I hope he is at next year's all star game in MTL, maybe than some people will come to terms with how bad a move this was for us.

Not really.

I mean Dallas won the trade, hands down, I'm not sure that can be debated.

But just because you lose a trade doesn't necessarily mean something is a bad move for you. For example, Anaheim "trading" Bryzlagov for literally nothing (except a bit of cap space) makes Phoenix the clear winners of that "deal" (I use quotations because it was waivers, not technically a trade). But is the team worse off because of it? They may be if Nabakov gets injured, but as of now they are doing just as well. They lost the deal, but the team hasn't really lost anything, because he would have just been sitting there anyways.

With Ribeiro, I honestly don't see this team better with him. Had Plekanek not broke out, it would be a different story entirely. But Plekanek would not have nearly as many points if not for Ribs leaving, and he's also better defensively, less of a destraction, a harder worker, faster, and I bet he will do better in the playoffs. Dallas got a great deal, but our team isn't really worse off because of it either.

Guest A. Hemsky
Not really.

I mean Dallas won the trade, hands down, I'm not sure that can be debated.

But just because you lose a trade doesn't necessarily mean something is a bad move for you. For example, Anaheim "trading" Bryzlagov for literally nothing (except a bit of cap space) makes Phoenix the clear winners of that "deal" (I use quotations because it was waivers, not technically a trade). But is the team worse off because of it? They may be if Nabakov gets injured, but as of now they are doing just as well. They lost the deal, but the team hasn't really lost anything, because he would have just been sitting there anyways.

With Ribeiro, I honestly don't see this team better with him. Had Plekanek not broke out, it would be a different story entirely. But Plekanek would not have nearly as many points if not for Ribs leaving, and he's also better defensively, less of a destraction, a harder worker, faster, and I bet he will do better in the playoffs. Dallas got a great deal, but our team isn't really worse off because of it either.

Nabokov?....I'll assume you ment Giguere

Guest 1970 Habs
Right :D

I was thinking of the Nabakov - Toskala controversy. But yes, you are correct.

:lol: We all make them - mistakes I mean.

One reason I like you is that you are one of the few moderators who admit it when they make a faux-pas. :)

Guest thefooligan5
Unlikely marksman

Mike Ribeiro is enjoying a career season, already surpassing his previous high for goals and likely to smash his benchmark for points. His most impressive stat may be a 31 per cent shooting percentage (22 goals on 71 shots), a full nine percentage points ahead of the next best shooter in the league. Ribeiro has been accused of getting garbage goals in the past, but he's never shot higher than 19 per cent in a season, so he is clearly doing more than just being in the right place at the right time this season.

CBC

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thefooligan5
Anyone watching him right now

This guy is GREAT

i wouldnt be surprised if he breaks 100 pts this year.

well he will need to average 1.8 points-per-game for the last 15 games for him to hit 100pts. I can't see him doing that but heck the guy is already 8 points above his previous high in points and he still has 15 games left to play - not too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got 100 pts next year or some time during his career.

And when is he supposed to fall on his face again? I recall people saying he more or less a 'fluke' the beginning of the season but here we are 67 games in and he is still scoring an average of 1.14 PPG.

Archived