The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

well he will need to average 1.8 points-per-game for the last 15 games for him to hit 100pts. I can't see him doing that but heck the guy is already 8 points above his previous high in points and he still has 15 games left to play - not too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got 100 pts next year or some time during his career.

And when is he supposed to fall on his face again? I recall people saying he more or less a 'fluke' the beginning of the season but here we are 67 games in and he is still scoring an average of 1.14 PPG.

They're just mad we don't have someone averaging more than a point per game.

Guest 1970 Habs
I wouldnt be surprised if he breaks 100 pts this year.

well he will need to average 1.8 points-per-game for the last 15 games for him to hit 100pts. I can't see him doing that but heck the guy is already 8 points above his previous high in points and he still has 15 games left to play - not too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got 100 pts next year or some time during his career.

And when is he supposed to fall on his face again? I recall people saying he more or less a 'fluke' the beginning of the season but here we are 67 games in and he is still scoring an average of 1.14 PPG.

Well he should be close to 90 pts this season. :D

• 4 months later...
Not really.

I mean Dallas won the trade, hands down, I'm not sure that can be debated.

But just because you lose a trade doesn't necessarily mean something is a bad move for you. For example, Anaheim "trading" Bryzlagov for literally nothing (except a bit of cap space) makes Phoenix the clear winners of that "deal" (I use quotations because it was waivers, not technically a trade). But is the team worse off because of it? They may be if Nabakov gets injured, but as of now they are doing just as well. They lost the deal, but the team hasn't really lost anything, because he would have just been sitting there anyways.

With Ribeiro, I honestly don't see this team better with him. Had Plekanek not broke out, it would be a different story entirely. But Plekanek would not have nearly as many points if not for Ribs leaving, and he's also better defensively, less of a destraction, a harder worker, faster, and I bet he will do better in the playoffs. Dallas got a great deal, but our team isn't really worse off because of it either.

I agree that Dallas won the trade, but I disagree that we are better off without Ribiero. Would it not be great to have both Plekanec and Ribiero as 2 of our centres? I hate to remind you that your prediction on Plekanec doing better in the playoffs was not right.

Playoffs

Ribiero - GP 18; G 3; A 14; Pts 17; even in +/-

Plekanec-GP12; G 4; A 5; Pts 9; -1

Maybe Plekanec will do better in the playoffs long term as he gets better. Right now Ribiero is 3 years older.

I had a look at the stats for both players in the year they turned 24, for what it's worth:

Ribiero 2003-04 - GP 81; G 20; A 45; Pts 65; +15

Plekanec 2006-07 - GP 81; G 20; A 27; Pts 47; +10

Plekanec followed this up with 29 goals, 40 assists, 69 points and +15 in 2007-08.

In my opinion they are 2 very good centremen, and I wish we had them both in the lineup. Even Gainey admitted to Ribiero that he made a mistake in trading him. Hopefully they both will be in the all star game in Montreal this year.

• 4 months later...

So Ribeiro gets nailed into the boards from behind, his blood is all over the ice, and he leaves for the dressing room - just to come back for the shootout and scoring the game winner. Well done, Mike.

On a sidenote though, why doesn't the league look into suspending Dustin Brown? He got a 5 minute boarding major for the hit and you could argue that the intent to injure is even more obvious here than in Kostopoulos' case ...

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOup5SsR1uo

So Ribeiro gets nailed into the boards from behind, his blood is all over the ice, and he leaves for the dressing room - just to come back for the shootout and scoring the game winner. Well done, Mike.

On a sidenote though, why doesn't the league look into suspending Dustin Brown? He got a 5 minute boarding major for the hit and you could argue that the intent to injure is even more obvious here than in Kostopoulos' case ...

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOup5SsR1uo

I thought Los Angeles won that game?

I was never a huge Ribiero fan when he was here, but Im happy to see he is doing well in Dallas. I dont think he would have ever managed to do what he's doing had he stayed here - his maturation since joining that club is dramatic.

I was never a huge Ribiero fan when he was here, but Im happy to see he is doing well in Dallas. I dont think he would have ever managed to do what he's doing had he stayed here - his maturation since joining that club is dramatic.

Same here, in fact I didn't want to see that guy wearing our colors any longer and I was very happy we traded him away. That being said, it's good to see what player he has become in Dallas and I agree that it would've been entirely impossible in our wonderful city :)

His gesture after scoring in the shootout was totally immature and disgraceful. I'm so glad we got rid of this guy. The Kings' players wanted to eat him alive, and rightfully so. One day, he'll once again be rolling on the ice but that time, he won't be faking to be hurt.

His gesture after scoring in the shootout was totally immature and disgraceful. I'm so glad we got rid of this guy. The Kings' players wanted to eat him alive, and rightfully so. One day, he'll once again be rolling on the ice but that time, he won't be faking to be hurt.

Well, dont forget he has Avery to look up to now! lol. Non-puck-in-play antics aside, i think he has matured as a player - in so much as understanding how to give and go & work with teammates more. I do believe he's still immature with regards to the antics, but think he has matured as a player, as is evidence with his stats.

What, you mean by putting his finger to his lips and "hushing" the crowd? Sorry, but I completely disagree; this is one of the most common 'celebrations' (not sure what else to call it) in sports. It's not immature or inappropriate. I actually give him a lot of credit for coming back into the game after being plastered into the boards.

I have no problem with anyone who dislikes the guy as I can definitely see reasons for it, but I definitely do not think the gesture was immature.

What, you mean by putting his finger to his lips and "hushing" the crowd? Sorry, but I completely disagree; this is one of the most common 'celebrations' (not sure what else to call it) in sports. It's not immature or inappropriate. I actually give him a lot of credit for coming back into the game after being plastered into the boards.

I have no problem with anyone who dislikes the guy as I can definitely see reasons for it, but I definitely do not think the gesture was immature.

We'll have to agree to disagree. In the NFL, taunting is a penalty. In the NBA, players aren't allowed to hang on to the rim after a dunk for show. So taunting can't be THAT good of a thing to do.

We'll have to agree to disagree. In the NFL, taunting is a penalty. In the NBA, players aren't allowed to hang on to the rim after a dunk for show. So taunting can't be THAT good of a thing to do.

Yes but sometimes, it can just be your emotion going on and not thinking about what you're doing. Like when Kobe nailed that 4 point play in the olympics. If he were to go to the other team's bench and do that, then that would be horrible

Excessive taunting is punishable in the NFL, yes. You wouldn't get a second look from the refs for that though. I'm certainly with you in that it's not necessary, but I personally don't have a problem with it (within reason).

• 4 months later...

Anyone watching the game now?

Dallas Vs Calgary

The announcers made the funniest comment baout this guy

Mike Riberio must be one of the lightest players on the ice.

Whatever a drowned rat looks like, thats mike riberio

He was getting @ he weighs nothing, but funny as heck

Anyone watching the game now?

Dallas Vs Calgary

The announcers made the funniest comment baout this guy

Mike Riberio must be one of the lightest players on the ice.

Whatever a drowned rat looks like, thats mike riberio

He was getting @ he weighs nothing, but funny as heck

I'm sorry, but that's brutal. :lol:

I can't wait for next time Ribeiro brings his butt in MTL, after what he apparently said here:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/271975.html

What an unprofessional, gutless, whining and pathetic S.O.B! Wonder why Dallas is out of the playoff picture right now?

I hope Komi will destroy his monkey face someday. :angry:

Meh.

This just shows how little Ribs has grown.

Im sure Koivu doesnt think much about him - any player wasting their time on his antics needs to reevaluate his priorities.

PS - it wouldnt take Komi to rearrange his face - I suspect Boullion, Kostopolous or even one of the players' daughters could do it. ;)

Of course it comes from La Presse.

Lol, ya I know, my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if they pried it out him, and then twisted his words, too.

But I wouldn't be surprised if these were his exact words, whatever a drowned rat looks like, that's Mike Ribeiro. The jerk...

Archived