The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest habs_fan1160

I would have taken a bag of oranges for Ribs, I couldn't stand this guy. He was cocky, arrogant and had a big head.

I admit the Niinimaa trade probably wasn't the best, but it's better than having a guy like Ribs on the team.

Didn't we get a draft pick too from this deal?

Guest lecavalierrocks
(pps. all of you who upon hearing about the niinny/ribeiro trade were like YES OMG WE ***** DALLAS WHAT IDIOTS HAHAHA...i guess they're thinking the same thing about us right about...now!)

Tell me about it!!! as people know, I was never happy with that trade. Mikey was having a bad year, but during the pre-season games he was doing so well, I think it would have continued and I do think he would have proven most haters wrong. GO MIKEYYYY <3

(pps. all of you who upon hearing about the niinny/ribeiro trade were like YES OMG WE ***** DALLAS WHAT IDIOTS HAHAHA...i guess they're thinking the same thing about us right about...now!)

Not at all. Ninimaa did more or less what I expected of him, filled a depth role while we had injuries (although I didn't think he'd end up below Streit in depth). Still not a major dissapointment. He's a 7th dman instead of a 6th dman, big deal.

Ribs is doing exactly what he did here. The last two season he had 65 and 52 points, this year he's on pace for around 60, so no real difference. Unless he's suddenelty started playing physical, fast, and defensive and has finally learned to grow up, I'm glad he's gone. I don't know why anyone expected a 60 point guy is going to go to Dallas an all of a sudden not get any points. He is on pace for 60 points, why is it people are saying that we made a huge mistake? Did anyone expect him not to do this well?

He's gone, good riddance. No one won that trade, no one lost. Neither team got anyone that good. It was liek swapping 8th round draft picks.

Guest FunkyOne

Greame you don't get it, Niinimaa did NOTHING FOR US. Ribeiro is doing something for the other team obviously, so for now Dallas is completely winning the trade.

Greame you don't get it, Niinimaa did NOTHING FOR US. Ribeiro is doing something for the other team obviously, so for now Dallas is completely winning the trade.

Starting with Niinimaa, I wouldn't call that nothing. He filled a role when he was needed. People complain about his play, but do you honestly think our 7th dman before Dandy's return (Patrick Traverse) would have done better?

As for Ribero, yes he is doing something, we knew he'd do something. He wasn't traded because he doesn't produce (last season he still got over 50 points), he was traded because he is very one dimensional and lazy. He could get points, but it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Did anyone honestly think Ninimaa was going to come in and be anything more than a 5th-6th dman? Did anyone expect Ribs would go to Dallas and not get any points. I think both players have played how Gainey expected. Ninimmaa may have been a little bit less, but thats it, a little.

Ribs did exactly as I thought he would, and Ninimaa did more or less what I was expecting.

lol....I admit I enjoy reading Graeme's posts.

I find him to be one of the few that offers an unbias opinion .

I said once before I could care less if Mike gets 80 + points , problem was it was never going to happen in Montreal.

Haha thanks.

Well this forum needs people like us. :D Reading some people's posts, you'd think other GMs view Kovaelv as Ovechkin or something.

Guest habs_fan1160
lol....I admit I enjoy reading Graeme's posts.

I find him to be one of the few that offers an unbias opinion .

I said once before I could care less if Mike gets 80 + points , problem was it was never going to happen in Montreal.

I agree, he could have never did this in Montreal and he never did. We could have kept him for another 15 seasons and I doubt he would have hit the 50 goal mark.

I'm glad he's gone.

I agree, he could have never did this in Montreal and he never did. We could have kept him for another 15 seasons and I doubt he would have hit the 50 goal mark.

I'm glad he's gone.

Not that I want to start arguing with another anti Ribero guy (or girl, not sure), but...

what exactly is "this". He's on pace for 24 goals, 38 assists, +24

Two years ago he had 20 goals, 45 assists, and was +15

I haven't watched him play this year, but statistically he looks more or less the same.

This will irk some people but correct me if I'm wrong, I belive he's playing with Lindros and Morrow, those are the best linelmates he's EVER had .

Sorry but Lindros , when healthy , is better than # 27 IMO

You play with quality linemates and you will put up lots of points .

Ribiero scored his career high points with Ryder and DAGENAIS

The kid has talent, always has, but he doesnt need Kovalev with him, he needs a triggerman, Kovalev carries, so does he, its why it didnt work, Lindros likes to shoot, Morrow is always in the slot, Ribs dipsy doodles and makes the passes they just finish it off.

Its not a matter of who he plays with, but what kind of players he plays with, When he had Ryder and Dags, he had 2 lethal triggermen at his side, he knew how to take advantage of them.

Guest kevinfansdeshabs
This will irk some people but correct me if I'm wrong, I belive he's playing with Lindros and Morrow, those are the best linelmates he's EVER had .

Sorry but Lindros , when healthy , is better than # 27 IMO

You play with quality linemates and you will put up lots of points .

Lindros and Morrow, it's funny because he just play whit morrow in the PP. On his 16 games, he has plays like just 6 gams whit morrow and lindros.

Oh and for the 50 goal mark, you talk for a season? If is that, Ribeiro is a PLAYMAKER

Oh for Ribeiro speed and defensively, you can be sure in Dallas they like him. He has more speed than last year, he is ok defensively like in Montréal. He was OK and he was the firts back in the zone. In the pre-season, it's not him who hits Alexeev who nobody on the team was able to hit him vs Tampa Bay.

Its not a matter of who he plays with, but what kind of players he plays with, When he had Ryder and Dags, he had 2 lethal triggermen at his side, he knew how to take advantage of them.

Although Kovalev's career high in goals is higher than Ryder and Dageneis. And in the post season or olympics when Kovalev gives it his all, he can put the thing in the net.

Systemic Anomaly explained it best:

the thing of it is, its harder to liberate ribeiros 1.9 mill cuz he would constantly remain a RFA, and seeing how easy it is to lose a UFA in souray markov and rivet

so whats gainey do? ships off ribeiro and his RFA status to dallas in exchange FOR MORE money, BUT, a UFA at years end who will NOT be re-signed, erasing ribeiros RFA 1.9 mill completely

under-appreciated move by mister Gainey.

It TOTALLY makes sense. We just freed up 2 mil in the long run... 2 mil we can use to sign our UFA d-men who do a heck of alot more than Ribs would ever do for us.

It TOTALLY makes sense. We just freed up 2 mil in the long run... 2 mil we can use to sign our UFA d-men who do a heck of alot more than Ribs would ever do for us.

another way to look at the trade in the long run.

but quite frankly lets ask the serious question: WHICH 2million d-man wants to sign with the habs?

i mean we couldnt even sign shanahan...the only way i see us spending those 2 millions is on david fisher in 2-3 years

-Matt

One problem with his theory. If we really wanted we could have just not given Ribs a qualifying offer making him a UFA. So Ribs was either a RFA or UFA, our choice, whichever made the most sense for us

One problem with his theory. If we really wanted we could have just not given Ribs a qualifying offer making him a UFA...

Once again, I am impressed.

Exactly, if they wanted to free up Ribs salary they could simply not offer him a contract and he thus becomes an UFA .

Guest habs_fan1160
Not that I want to start arguing with another anti Ribero guy (or girl, not sure), but...

what exactly is "this". He's on pace for 24 goals, 38 assists, +24

Two years ago he had  20 goals, 45 assists, and was +15

I haven't watched him play this year, but statistically he looks more or less the same.

He was never consistant in Montreal. He'd play good for a couple of games and then suck for 10. The same thing went with his yearly stats, sometimes he did OK and other times he just stunk.

I hate inconsistant players, I like to have a general idea of how a guy is going to perform in a year.

He was never consistant in Montreal. He'd play good for a couple of games and then suck for 10. The same thing went with his yearly stats, sometimes he did OK and other times he just stunk.

I hate inconsistant players, I like to have a general idea of how a guy is going to perform in a year.

And this year he started out great, pointless for a few games, scored a few points in the next two, was pointless for 4 games, then scored again. Doesn't seem all that consistant.

All I want to know is why is everyone saying he's doing so amazing this year, why coudln't he do that here, etc? He seems to be doing more or less the same thing in Dallas that he did here.

And I don't know how you can judge year to year consistancy for a guy who only had 2 full seasons in Montreal (both with fairly similar statistics).

Yeah he is doing the same time when he his better defensively and just 11 minutes of ice times compared to 16 last year

okay thats a good point about the time, although that still doesn't make him that much better.

And is his defense actually that much better? I can't honestly say since I haven't seen him playing, and theres no real way to tell defense from statistics (+/- is a poor indicator)

Archived