SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Why are they called the Habs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 Ed-Brown

Ed-Brown

Draft pick / Choix au repêchage

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

I should know the answer, but my youngest asked me why the Canadiens are called the Habs and why they have the CH on the jersey.
I'm assuming the H on the jersey refers to the Habs but though I have a guess, for the life of me am not sure as the the Habs reference.
Thanks in advance
Ed

#2 Eatonswall

Eatonswall

• Banned Users
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

is it relaly that hard to google

#3 Ed-Brown

Ed-Brown

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, well I just spent a half hour trying to find the answer there with no luck. I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy.

#4 Guest_gumper_*

Guest_gumper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

the H in the CH stands for Hockey. The habs is short for habitants which is citizens in french

#5 Rage_mtl

Rage_mtl

Veteran / Vétéran

• Retired jersey/chandail retiré
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

The logo is CHC: Club du Hockey Canadien (Canadian Hockey Club)

Many have mistakenly thought the H stood for habitants, a term used for Frnech-Canadian farmers, and a nickname that has stuck.

#6 Guest_JL_*

Guest_JL_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

According to Brian McFarlane's original six book on the Habs, Ambrose O'Brien owned the Wanderers suggested to Jimmy Gardner to start a french Canadian team and call them Les Canadiens... They went on to form a new league called the National Hockey Association in 1909. I will quote the rest:

"In 1910, when Montrealer George Kennedy and his partners in the Canadien Athletic Club purchased the Canadiens, the team emblem became a maple leaf with the letters "CAC" imprinted on the leaf. Imagine a maple leaf on Montreal jersey! The sweater colours became red, white and blue. By 1915 the sweater began to take on the appearance of the modern-day red sweater. In 1917 someone designed a large "C" surrounding a small "H", an emblem which has remained constant, and extremelly popular, for almost 80 years. There is a misconception that the letter "H" stands for "Habs" or "Habitants", meaning farmers or people living in the country, stemming from the fact that most Canadiens were French-speaking boys from rural areas. But the "H" in the emblem really stands for "Hockey".

I actually highly recommand that book to all die-hard Habs' fans. The name of the team is actually Club de Hockey Canadien.

Posted Image

#7 cocoloco

cocoloco

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Could someone please settle a dispute. What does the "H" in the Team Logo stand for? Is it "hockey" or "habs" or something else?

#8 DonFu23

DonFu23

Rookie / Recrue

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:48 AM

From chriscreamer.com

One of sports more recognisable symbols, the classic 'C' and 'H' of the Montreal Canadiens was first used together in the 1917/18 season, before evolving to it's current form in 1952/53. Another one of the regular incorrectly identified logos out there, the 'H' does not stand for 'Habs', it stands for 'Hockey', as in 'Club de Hockey Canadien' the official name of the team. The original name of the team was 'Club Athletique Canadien', which is why their logo had an 'A' in place of an 'H' from 1913-1917.

#9 GIJAYNE

GIJAYNE

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

We had this question on the forum last year as well, and someone (I believe JL) got us on the right track.

Unless I'm mistaken (please correct me someone otherwise) common miss-conception is that the "H" is for Habs (or rather Habitants). However, this "nickname" (which was given by other people around the league and country to begin with) came after the club was established. When the club was established, the H in the logo was for Hockey (or Hockey club I would imagine).

I believe this is the real deal, especially since the time line makes sense. But then again I'm just a Habs fan, not a Habs historian.

#10 cocoloco

cocoloco

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Thank you! I that's what I thought. I am a long time habs fan swimming in a sea of maple leaf blue, so I am always happy to set those know it alls straight!

#11 Guest_Eye_Heart_Gorges26_*

Guest_Eye_Heart_Gorges26_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

CH? i know its the logo on the jerseys...but whats it stand for?

#12 Guest_stevesaku_*

Guest_stevesaku_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

it stands for greatness..

no the C means canadien as in club de hockey canadien...

and the H which many times is mistakened for habitants stands for hockey.. as in club de HOCKEY le canadien

#13 Guest_Eye_Heart_Gorges26_*

Guest_Eye_Heart_Gorges26_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

ty ;)

#14 Guest_stevesaku_*

Guest_stevesaku_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

ty ;)

no problem

#15 amp73

amp73

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

CH = CHamps ;)

#16 grant_01

grant_01

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

CH = CHamps ;)

CH = Canadians "Habitants" , that's why "Go Habs Go"

Habs means "Habitants" ( french ) , but Champs sounds great to me :).

#17 Guest_JL_*

Guest_JL_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

CH = Canadians "Habitants" , that's why "Go Habs Go"  

Habs means "Habitants" ( french ) , but Champs sounds great to me ;).

Sorry, but that's wrong.

http://forum.canadie...ead.php?t=11768

#18 grant_01

grant_01

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

Sorry, but that's wrong.

I can't read it.

Maybe not the "h" in the "c" for "habitants", but if people say "Go Habs Go" it cause of "habitants"

#19 Guest_habinto_*

Guest_habinto_*
  • Guests

Sorry, but that's wrong.

CH = Canadien Hockey

what is the prize!!

#20 Guest_Habsfan_11_*

Guest_Habsfan_11_*
  • Guests

that link doesn't lead me anywhere. Why are the Canadiens called the Habs if it's not because of Les "Habitants"?

So CH = Canadiens Hockey

Is this correct?