Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ed-Brown

Why are they called the Habs?

54 posts in this topic

I should know the answer, but my youngest asked me why the Canadiens are called the Habs and why they have the CH on the jersey.

I'm assuming the H on the jersey refers to the Habs but though I have a guess, for the life of me am not sure as the the Habs reference.

Thanks in advance

Ed

Yeah, well I just spent a half hour trying to find the answer there with no luck. I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy.

the H in the CH stands for Hockey. The habs is short for habitants which is citizens in french

The logo is CHC: Club du Hockey Canadien (Canadian Hockey Club)

Many have mistakenly thought the H stood for habitants, a term used for Frnech-Canadian farmers, and a nickname that has stuck.

According to Brian McFarlane's original six book on the Habs, Ambrose O'Brien owned the Wanderers suggested to Jimmy Gardner to start a french Canadian team and call them Les Canadiens... They went on to form a new league called the National Hockey Association in 1909. I will quote the rest:

"In 1910, when Montrealer George Kennedy and his partners in the Canadien Athletic Club purchased the Canadiens, the team emblem became a maple leaf with the letters "CAC" imprinted on the leaf. Imagine a maple leaf on Montreal jersey! The sweater colours became red, white and blue. By 1915 the sweater began to take on the appearance of the modern-day red sweater. In 1917 someone designed a large "C" surrounding a small "H", an emblem which has remained constant, and extremelly popular, for almost 80 years. There is a misconception that the letter "H" stands for "Habs" or "Habitants", meaning farmers or people living in the country, stemming from the fact that most Canadiens were French-speaking boys from rural areas. But the "H" in the emblem really stands for "Hockey".

I actually highly recommand that book to all die-hard Habs' fans. The name of the team is actually Club de Hockey Canadien.

The_Habs.jpg

Could someone please settle a dispute. What does the "H" in the Team Logo stand for? Is it "hockey" or "habs" or something else?

From chriscreamer.com

One of sports more recognisable symbols, the classic 'C' and 'H' of the Montreal Canadiens was first used together in the 1917/18 season, before evolving to it's current form in 1952/53. Another one of the regular incorrectly identified logos out there, the 'H' does not stand for 'Habs', it stands for 'Hockey', as in 'Club de Hockey Canadien' the official name of the team. The original name of the team was 'Club Athletique Canadien', which is why their logo had an 'A' in place of an 'H' from 1913-1917.

We had this question on the forum last year as well, and someone (I believe JL) got us on the right track.

Unless I'm mistaken (please correct me someone otherwise) common miss-conception is that the "H" is for Habs (or rather Habitants). However, this "nickname" (which was given by other people around the league and country to begin with) came after the club was established. When the club was established, the H in the logo was for Hockey (or Hockey club I would imagine).

I believe this is the real deal, especially since the time line makes sense. But then again I'm just a Habs fan, not a Habs historian.

Thank you! I that's what I thought. I am a long time habs fan swimming in a sea of maple leaf blue, so I am always happy to set those know it alls straight!

CH? i know its the logo on the jerseys...but whats it stand for?

it stands for greatness..

no the C means canadien as in club de hockey canadien...

and the H which many times is mistakened for habitants stands for hockey.. as in club de HOCKEY le canadien

CH? i know its the logo on the jerseys...but whats it stand for?

CH = CHamps ;)

CH = CHamps ;)

CH = Canadians "Habitants" , that's why "Go Habs Go"

Habs means "Habitants" ( french ) , but Champs sounds great to me :).

that link doesn't lead me anywhere. Why are the Canadiens called the Habs if it's not because of Les "Habitants"?

So CH = Canadiens Hockey

Is this correct?

I can't read it.

Maybe not the "h" in the "c" for "habitants", but if people say "Go Habs Go" it cause of "habitants"

Try now.

that link doesn't lead me anywhere. Why are the Canadiens called the Habs if it's not because of Les "Habitants"?

So CH = Canadiens Hockey

Is this correct?

Farmers from the very old days...

So CH = Canadiens Hockey

Is this correct?

In the hearth's fans, it means it and even if this is not the reason of the CH.

Every fans I talked with about it and like my father and others old fans said that.

Ok, it means "Hockey" but to me it will mean "Habitants" cause I think the important meaning is what the fans think.

Even if this isn't true, in my hearth it will be for all what the teams did in history for " les habitants ".

Hey Gorges, sorry man. I forgot to talk about you :oops: .

But you know Gorges, I like your play and I'm impatient to see you more.

In the hearth's fans, it means it and even if this is not the reason of the CH.

Every fans I talked with about it and like my father and others old fans said that.

People who did not know what they were talking about though the H was for Habitant and everyone after that got it wrong. PS I am a French.

However, Jonathan is right in that it as become accepted (H = Habitant) and I do associate it to my roots even if it is wrong.

Now I confused myself