The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How and Where did you Meet a Hab Player?

European-Captain

Guest rigatony

A friend of mine works for a place that rents tools from Dickie Moore's company. A few years back Dickie had four tickets to a habs game and asked my friend to come along and to bring a friend. So we got to sit with Dickie at the old Forum. During the intermissin Dickie brought us into the Canadiens club house where we met Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer and Steve Shutt. Talk about legends ! They were all down to earth nice guys .

I was lucky to meet them. I remember them all vividly as players, the Pocket Rocket, the RoadRunner, Shutty and of course Dickie Moore !!!

Guest Habbie4life

Well i was very fortunate that my dad did a lot of advertising with sponsors of the Habs in the late 80's & early 90's. So being a teenager had lots of perks. here are a couple of meetings/get togethers:

1. Had my pic taken with Guy Lafleur while playing on the forum when i was 9 years old. (1984)

2. Played stickball with guy carbonneau,chris chelios, pat burns & petr svoboda at a auto repair garage grand opening in chateauguay. (1989)

3. was always at yvan cournoyer's "le 12" restaurant in lachine was right next to my dad's office (1989)

4. flyered the forum seats for a sponsor on tuesday & saturday home nights in 1989 (i was pretty popular guy in school i needed 5 friends to help me flyer almost 19000 flyers) (1990)

5. when chelly was playing for chicago i was sent to maple leaf gardens to have him autograph 10 jerseys for my dad. funny chicago pounded them that night!! LOL (1995)

6. bought a round of sapporos to the boys when they ate at a sushi joint not far from their hotel in toronto (begin,pleks,dadny,streit & huet) all were super cool and were even nice enough to autograph a place mat (2005)

7. got my hhof poster autographed (thanks rejean)& a jersey autographed by the whole team for my son Connor when the HHOF shut out the last 40 fans waiting 4 hours in line! (2006)

Guest cheerio279
wow you guys are so lucky!! I'd love to meet Higgins and Koivu, but that will probably never happen considering i live in sask. oh well maybe on day :pray:

no kidding eh, these ppl are spoiled.... haha kiiiidinggg ;)

Guest KOIVU#11

At an Irving in Deer lake NL, it was right after Ryder's rookie season and he was home running a hockey school on the west coast of NL, we were just passing through on our way to Nova Scotia and Dad was like, look that's Ryder over there. At first I didnt believe him but when I got a closer look at him it was crazy that he was just there, sitting in an Irving Restaurant at a truck stop haha eating lunch. Anyways we went over and got his autograph it probably made my summer. Thats a great memory.

Also I think my coach contacted Ryder's dad and when we go up to see the habs and caps play in march we might get to see the dressing room and a closed practice that would be awesome, maybe there'd be a few kicking around then.

• 8 months later...
Guest 86ontheice

I lived in Banff AB in the '80's and the Habs had a training camp there as well as a layover between games in Alberta. I met all of them as they were in the bar where I worked. They invited me out with them. Carbo got me tickets for the Flames game and let me wear his 86 Cup ring!!

Guest 86ontheice

I was in Cabo san Lucas MX during the strike and ran in to Brett Hull and Mike Modano at the Cabo Wabo bar. I talked to Hully for a while. I knew him from the Calgary bar I work in when he was with the Flames. I tried to get my friend over to meet him but he was hesitant. He finally came over so I asked Hully if "We could get a photo?" He said " Sure"...So I gave him my camera to take a photo of my friend and I. Not what he expected! A CLASSIC! Later in another bar I ran in to Kirk Muller and actually got a picture with him and spoke to him for a while. Gotta love Kirk!!

During the 95/96 season the Dallas Stars were staying at a hotel I worked at in Kitchener(Valhala INN now its a 4 points sheridan) They were staying in town instead of Toronto to avoid distractions from the TO media. I ran into Craig Ludwig in the elevator. I told him how when he played for the Habs he was one of my favorite players. He got a big laugh out of that saying usually the fans only loved the superstars. I tried to talk to Guy Carbonneau but he seem really shy so I only got a quick "hi" Earlier that season the NY Islanders held their training camp in Kitchener because their GM Don Maloney was a local boy. I had to deliver ice to his room and I told him how pissed I was Montreal traded Muller to him and the isles. He got a good laugh and said he expected big things from Kirk that season(gave me a $20 tip :D ) I also worked at a few bars as a bouncer and I went home early one night to only having missed out on meeting Kirk Muller and Mathieu Schneider. Another funny story was a sleezy waitress i worked with slept with Rich Pilon of the Isles :lol:

Guest Delios001

I hung out with Karl Dykhuis during the lock-out season. He opted to play for the Amsterdam Bulldogs as he wanted to see a bit of the country his grandparents were from.

Amsterdam is a very accessible club for fans. You just got to hung out with the players after games. He was a good laugh and easy going, shared a couple of beers throughout the season. He also signed a lot of cards for me, 2 pucks and a jersey.

Guest CanadianMike
I used to work in a restaurant in the West Island and I met Claude Lemeiux. He was a good tipper even though I kinda messed up his order.

Great guy :)

your story made me smile. He is a great guy. Love 'ol PEPE! :D

Guest HabsMan11

met the whole 03-04 team after a game once

met koivu and got on RDS wit him at his resto {Little Caesars} which he partially owned b4 but not anymore, and at the 03-04 game,

met carbo 4 times: at the game where i met the team, at loblaws the yr he left {my dad even told him hed be coach here one day :P} once at IGA and once right outside my house, the guy lives 2 minutes away from me, he rode by on his roller blades and with his dogs.

radek bonk lived 30 seconds away from me and i saw him a bunch of times...once while i was pulling weeds out of the grass of all things :P

i was waiting for Price at the PFDS camp this summer but i had to go :( ah well, sooner or later :P

Guest jennifer_rocket
met carbo 4 times: at the game where i met the team, at loblaws the yr he left {my dad even told him hed be coach here one day :P} once at IGA and once right outside my house, the guy lives 2 minutes away from me, he rode by on his roller blades and with his dogs.

Hahahaha! That's hilarious. Just imagine, Carbo wearin' some sort of metrosexual spandex unifrom, roller blading, and pulling a couple of dogs around with him. Hahahaha! What an awesome dude!

I met Michael Ryder at a baseball game in witless bay, newfoundland about 2 years ago. He sucks at baseball :) .

I`m slacking off at the office and I was reading these... this one made me crack up!

Guest CambridgeHabsFan

Not a big name player but a funny story involving a former 1st round pick of the Nordiques. Back in the early 90's the Nordiques had their AHL team in Halifax. Being home for Christmas from university a few of my friends and myself went out and picked up some tickets and headed to a near bye watering hole for a few drinks prior to the game. We were sitting up at the bar and there was this guy just pounding back the drinks. He was seriously hammered. I looked at the guy and said to him...hey your Bryan Fogarty. He says yep. I say man what are you doing here you play in less than 1 hour. He looks at me and says I don't think I'm gonna make it. My friends and I leave to make the game. As they are making the announcements for the teams the PA guy comes on and says this last minute scratch for the Citadels. Bryan Fogarty flu. My friend stands up and yells flu my a.s.s. he's across the street drunk. The people in our section had a good laugh. Sad story for a guy who seemed to never be able to catch on and stay sober. He had so much promise coming out of junior and being picked in the first round.

• 5 months later...

Just shared the same restauarant on Mother's day with Doug Gilmour.......he even held the door for us!!!!! I thought it was someone I knew from work and then our waitress said.....I can't believe I'm serving Doug Gilmour!!!!! Didn't want to bug him for an auto but some girls did.......I'd love a signed photo of when he smashed the penalty box glass!!!!

You guys are all so lucky. I would do almost anything to meet any current hab!

Come to a Bulldogs game and you'll meet a couple of future ones......hard to know exactly who will and who won't!!!!

I've met/got autos from Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek, the two other Ks, Begin, Halak, Price, Laps, O'Byrne, Grabs etc etc

Archived