Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jsol

Ryan Russell

57 posts in this topic

I've been really pleased with how well he's been playing this season. Hope the Habs have noticed it and give him a shot sometime in the future and not just let him rot away.

I love it when he scores and Derek Wills calls his name. (Same with Brock Trotter).

He runs on jetfuel.

I love it when he scores and Derek Wills calls his name. (Same with Brock Trotter).

He runs on jetfuel.

Been a long time since anyone posted in here! Well yet another one year deal was given to him (frm habs io)

So many one year deals!

Been a long time since anyone posted in here! Well yet another one year deal was given to him (frm habs io)

So many one year deals!

Next year the Habs will have so many prospects knocking on the door it will be hard to keep a job in Hamilton.

Can he make it to the NHL this year does anyone think?

He's not likely going to ever make the Habs at all unless there's a mass amount of injuries. There's just too many guys ahead of him right now.

Never count a guy like Ryan out he's the type of player that will do all the little things the coach asks, which makes him valuable.

kinda small like most of our forwards im just dissapointed in the way the team is being built if last years playoffs werent enough clues we need bigger guys to play hard and protect our skilled guys

He's not likely going to ever make the Habs at all unless there's a mass amount of injuries. There's just too many guys ahead of him right now.

Plus he's

Position: C

and only

Height: 5-10

Weight: 176

So the odds are against him making it with the Habs

2 goals last night against the Marlies. He, Desharnais, and Palushaj seem to be clicking fairly well down in Hamilton.

2 goals last night against the Marlies. He, Desharnais, and Palushaj seem to be clicking fairly well down in Hamilton.

And People say he can't make the NHL I figure he could if he improved a little more, I can see him as a possible call up at some point this season or next

Ryan Russell Stats

19 GP

3 G

3 A

6 PTS

17 PIM

hope to see some more soon

Source: HockeyDB

Heres his stats for the season and so far in the playoffs:

Season:

GP-65

G-10

A-11

PTS-21

PIM-48

+/- +17

Playoffs:

GP-19

G-7

A-2

PTS-9

Not bad, hope he improves during the offseason

Heres his stats for the season and so far in the playoffs:

Season:

GP-65

G-10

A-11

PTS-21

PIM-48

+/- +17

Playoffs:

GP-19

G-7

A-2

PTS-9

Not bad, hope he improves during the offseason

He's a restricted free agent this off season.

I know PG might send him an offer sheet, but is it really worth it?

This guy was supposed to be a player with great offensive potential, he's done nothing but disappoint thus far...

He's a restricted free agent this off season.

I know PG might send him an offer sheet, but is it really worth it?

This guy was supposed to be a player with great offensive potential, he's done nothing but disappoint thus far...

No he wasn't. He was supposed to be average offensively with some defensive awareness and that's exactly what he showed.

Edited by js2

No he wasn't. He was supposed to be average offensively with some defensive awareness and that's exactly what he showed.

So he may be a 3rd/4th liner.

We do need to fill the 2 spots we lost in Hamilton(Dawes/Boyd).

Yeah, if he ever manages to make the jump to the NHL he would be nothing more than a 3rd liner.

Exactly, now hes got the oppurtunity to really step up his game, with Pacioretty Desharnais Maxwell and now Boyd and Dawes gone for next year, and the possibility of a Palushaj/Engqvist in the NHL he has the chance to step up his game in the AHL. So do our other prospects in Avtsin Bishop possibly leblanc, kristo, dumont etc. etc.

"Talent Analysis

Russell, much like his brother in Medicine Hat, provides an excellent offensive game on the ice. With strong vision and passing, Russell is also an excellent skater and isn’t afraid to shoot the puck, which he does with great accuracy. Russell’s only knock, though, is also one he shares with his brother. Being undersized at 5’9, 165lbs, Ryan is by no means considered a sure offensive threat, even at the next level of play, where physical play intensifies even more than that at the Western League level."

I see nothing here about him being a defensive player whatsoever.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_russell

One website's opinion.....anyway not sure what the predictions were - but js2's analysis is accurate - that's what he gives game in and game out.

Good energy player, decent both ways - not an NHL 1st or 2nd liner.

"Talent Analysis

Russell, much like his brother in Medicine Hat, provides an excellent offensive game on the ice. With strong vision and passing, Russell is also an excellent skater and isn’t afraid to shoot the puck, which he does with great accuracy. Russell’s only knock, though, is also one he shares with his brother. Being undersized at 5’9, 165lbs, Ryan is by no means considered a sure offensive threat, even at the next level of play, where physical play intensifies even more than that at the Western League level."

I see nothing here about him being a defensive player whatsoever.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_russell

I don't see anything that says he is supposed to be a sure fire offensive threat either. His nine points in 19 playoff games is about right where they peg him at. They say he has an excellent offensive game but isn't an offensive threat. To me that means he an excellent 3rd line guy. His 21 points in 65 games and 9 in 19 playoff games, put him at a decent 3rd line guy if anything. I don't see anything there that says he would be a top producer in terms of points and offense.

I've never expected Ryan to be nothing more than a 3rd liner in the NHL, if he makes it to the big leagues. However like I stated before, he is still young, and now with all the top end players we lost this off-season and last off-season such as: Pacioretty, Desharnais, Trotter, Boyd, Dawes, Maxwell, White, and we most likely will have Enqvist and/or Palushaj up at the beginning of next year. Russel will more than likely be given a bigger chance in Hamilton, unless Avtsin, Dumont, Masse, Nattinen, etc. completely out play him and are given top line duties.

I never said he was pegged as having first or second line offensive potential in the NHL...

I said he was deemed as someone with great offensive potential, nothing more...

Please re-read my post next time before you decide to bash me.

Thanks!

Edited by brand__x