The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan Mcdonagh

jl-1

Guest hogtownhabsfan

I think McDonagh will be one of the top 5 players from this draft. I was watching some tape of him, and he sort of reminds me of Eric Johnson. He almost looks smaller than he is thanks to amazing agility and speed. Though he will never be as punishing as EJ who is HUGE, he will be a similar sort of player in almost every other aspect IMO. On top of thar he has RARE awareness.

As for Pacioretty, from the tape I watched he doesn't look swift at all, and seems to float around waiting for things to happen rather than initiating. I understand he has good size and a good shot, but he didn't seem to have great awareness or foot speed at all.

Guest jennifer_rocket
This is a report by Max Giese who is a scout, he ranked him fourth over all and the best Dman available.

4. D Ryan McDonagh, 6-1 205, 6-13-1989, Cretin- Durham Minnesota High School, 26 gp – 14 g – 26 a – 40 points.

++ Huge upside, soft hands, good skater, creative

+ Physical, smart

- Needs to prove himself at higher levels.

The best defenseman eligible this year, Ryan McDonagh possesses special ability both with or without the puck. A University of Wisconsin recruit, Ryan was named Mr. Hockey for the top player in Minnesota this season. He is the most complete defenseman in this draft and has terrific upside at both ends of the rink. McDonagh is a swift skater with nimble feet and a quick stride with a very impressive burst of power behind it. His acceleration is especially impressive and he also possesses a great top gear. His agility is superb for a big man as he can twist and turn at top speeds all the while maintaining possession of the puck. Ryan is blessed with exceptional hands and is creative with the puck as he’ll stick handle around the opposition with dangles that look they are coming from a first line forward. He’s composed with the puck, he sees the ice well, and makes a heads up first pass. Ryan is an instinctive passer and also displays impressive creativity while quarterbacking the power play. His hockey sense is superb and he seems to read the play one step quicker than his peers. He has the size and strength a long with an adequate physical edge to be a physical one on one defender. Ryan maintains a healthy gap with his man at all times and because of his swift mobility he can stay with anyone one on one. McDonagh also has exceptional stick work and defensive positioning to make him a formidable defender. He competes hard every night and while he’s already a complete defenseman, there is also tons of upside here and several years from now he will turn out to be the best defenseman taken in the 2007 draft.

Sounds like he could be in the AHL in a year, and perhaps up with the big team in as little as 2 years. He did say, I believe, that he was enrolling in college, but would not be opposed to developing with the Habs very soon.

Guest 1970 Habs
im very glad to here this i hope he works out for us in the next few years.

i can't wait for our defensive lineup in 4-5 years

Markov-Mcdonagh

Komisarek-O'byrne

Yemlin-Fischer

No Mathieu Carle?

Now that I've gotten over the fact that we passed on Cherepanov and Esposito, I think McDonagh is going to be a finnneee pick. From what I've read, seems like he was the best defender in the draft. Can't wait to see him in 2 years or so wearing a Habs jersey :)

Guest macpherson8
Any chance that this guy can make the club this year?? Maybe as a 6 D-Man or something??

that would be a huge jump, didnt he play HIGH SCHOOL last year :blink:

Guest HalifaxHab

This kid is easily 3 years away. But if he's half as good as the guy he's compared to (Chielios) it will be worth it. Besides, we don't want to rush our prospects

Esposito is small, inconsistent, sometimes lazy, and not good under pressure.

Montreal was looking for big, strong, character guys at this draft, Espo doesn't fit that bill at all, and pressure doesn't get any worse than in Montreal, espo would struggle here. Besides if Espo was supposed to be such a star, how come 19 other GMs felt the same way as Gainey did?

McDonagh is much more fitting for the needs of this team, Politics aside, the Habs made the best possible choice.

Guest P.Royfan
Esposito is small, inconsistent, sometimes lazy, and not good under pressure.

Montreal was looking for big, strong, character guys at this draft, Espo doesn't fit that bill at all, and pressure doesn't get any worse than in Montreal, espo would struggle here. Besides if Espo was supposed to be such a star, how come 19 other GMs felt the same way as Gainey did?

McDonagh is much more fitting for the needs of this team, Politics aside, the Habs made the best possible choice.

Rob Honighan would agree with you completly. He is the Cheif scout for the Oshawa Generals. He was a guest on The Score for their pre and post draft show. Let me tell you something he was NOT impressed with Esposito.

Here are a few things he said. He has lots of skill, little hockey sence, no vision,no will, and the word "compete" is not in Espositos' vocabulary. Rob Honighan said Esposito does not bring much to the party and what he does bring isn't the beer more like the potato chips.

After the draft he said he couldn't beleive Pittsberg wasted such a high pick on him. Steve Kouleas asked him if Bob Gainey would have passed on him again if Esposito would have fell at 22. Rob Honighan said Bob Gainey wold have passed on this guy till the third round which is where he should have gone.

So I am glad we have more defence which is exactly what we needed!

Guest Lizardking89

Here's what Pat Hickey of the Gazette had to say out him, I'm excited about this guy, I like many people was hoping he's draft Espo or Cherepanov but now glad we didn't. http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...edf&k=14059

The Canadiens opened the National Hockey League draft by selecting two Americans, who are expected to provide "size, skill and grit in the future."

That's the word from director of player personnel Trevor Timmins after the Canadiens drafted defenceman Ryan McDonagh with the 12th overall pick and power forward Max Pacioretty at No. 22.

For the second consecutive year, the Canadiens turned to a Minnesota high school for their top pick.

And for the second consecutive year, they picked a defenceman who won the title of Mr. Hockey as the top player in the hockey-mad state.

"He's the guy we wanted all along and we were surprised that we had a chance to get him," Timmins said of McDonagh, a

6-foot-1, 200-pound defenceman who will play at the University of Wisconsin next season alongside the No. 3 overall pick in this year's draft, Kyle Turris.

"I'm definitely going to Wisconsin and I'll see what happens after that," said McDonagh, who said he was happy to be drafted by a team with the Canadiens' tradition.

He hinted that he might be ready to turn pro after only one year of college and Timmins said that was a definite possibility.

"He's already developed physically; he's a horse," Timmins said.

"He won't need a lot of time to get stronger because he's already there. He went to combine and blew everyone away on the physical and psychological tests. He also attracted a lot of attention playing with the U.S. under-18 team and we were worried that someone would take him."

The Canadiens have had some success in developing defencemen from the U.S. college ranks. Mike Komisarek had a breakthrough season last year and Ryan O'Byrne is poised to make the move next spring after a successful season in Hamilton.

Last year's top pick, David Fischer, recently completed his first year at Minnesota.

McDonagh said he and Fisher are good friends. They've played together on some teams and competed against each other in high school.

"It will be funny competing against him in college but I'm looking forward to playing with Fischer in the NHL."

Guest 1970 Habs

I think this guy will follow a similar development path to that of Ryan O'Byrne.

If he develops into a top end prospect he could be in Hamilton in 2-3 years.

• 1 month later...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9833...in_lake_placid/

Nice little article on the camp with a little bit of interview quotes from McDonagh. This is the best though:

McDonagh was in Montreal a few weeks ago at the team's Development Camp. "It was a blast, there were so many media representatives and fans were nuts up there, even for a morning session they were there," observed McDonagh. "I didn't expect at all it could be like that, it just shows how important hockey is in Montreal. I was so glad to be there."

Guest matt_the_fan
sorry and Mathieu Carle lol

we have to much depth i cant keep up with it :lol:

I'm also gonne add..HEY!!!! WHERE PK. SUBBAN??

I'm afraid some of the abouve are going to be traded, because I don't think they want to be career AHL'ers since they show NHL caliber talent. Maybe Gainey will be able to snatch a top notch player with some of these young prospects, who have yet to prove themselves.

Guest overlords
I sure hope Carle is not one of them.

We have quite a few defensive d-men in prospects but only 2 i believe in the offensive sense (subban carle). Fischer, mcdonagh, valentenko, o'byrne, everybody after that may have some trouble cracking the squad with all that talent. Especially if emelin decides to come over.

I'm glad we picked mcdonagh. Gainey finally did what needed to be done.

Archived