The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn The Count Down - And More

GIJAYNE

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get it. If the Magic Number is a predicted "how many more points we need". Why is it at 165? It never takes 165 points to make the playoffs. That is the statistical number required, but it sounds like from your description it is the anticipated number?

Sorry, I've never really followed this thread at all and am trying to figure it out.

Its all here...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/ser.../What_is_MN.jpg

Guest hatethoseleafs
^My opinion :

In a 82 game season, the maximum amount of points you can get is 164. So, to be able to guarantee a playoff berth, you would need to get 165 points right now. Not sure if that made sense.

:lol:

Math make sense.....NEVER :P that number assumes that two teams win 82 games, which would result in a tie at 164. The mathematical equation doesnt take into consideration all the tie breakers that the NHL uses,,, therefore it assumes you need one more point to win,,,thus the 165.

I don't get it. If the Magic Number is a predicted "how many more points we need". Why is it at 165? It never takes 165 points to make the playoffs. That is the statistical number required, but it sounds like from your description it is the anticipated number?

Sorry, I've never really followed this thread at all and am trying to figure it out.

My understanding is that it's the statistical worst-case scenario as to how many points we need to clinch a playoff spot. Wins by the Habs and losses from other teams make then number lower.

If you ask HLD, I'm sure he'll be happy to email you the process he uses to calculate it. It's pretty neat.

^My opinion :

In a 82 game season, the maximum amount of points you can get is 164. So, to be able to guarantee a playoff berth, you would need to get 165 points right now. Not sure if that made sense.

:lol:

Good morning Graeme and AK. I believe your question has been answered by a few MN vets already, and they are all accurate. As HHN pointed out a details description can be found at http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/ser.../What_is_MN.jpg

As Winnipeg pointed out, the MN calculation HAS to take into consideration worse case scenarios. Obviously games will be lost and points will be gained and at the end of the season one would nee anywhere from 85-95 points to make the playoffs. The MN is calculated however as the minimum amount of points required to make 8th place. I know it seems out of whack early on in the season, but it get clearer as the season goes on.

Basically today the team at 8th (who ever that may be) is sitting at 0 points with 82 games left to play. MN HAS to assume they will win all their remaining games. So the math assumes they can earn 164 points. In order to beat them we must earn 165 points. Now keep in mind, MN drops by two points for every win we get, and also for every game the team in eight looses. The rest is simple algebra to compensate for shift in positions and all that.

Basically when the number reaches 0, we are guaranteed to make the playoffs, even if we loose all our games and everyone else wins all their games.

I hope that somewhat clarified how the algebra works.

it starts at 165 ( 82 games = 164 points up for grabs with a differential margin of error of one) and as we win and the team in 9th loses we count down until it reaches 0 at which point means we will be in at least 8th place. If you want a more detailed answer then HLD is the guy to ask ;)

BTW congrats my friend on your new position. Yet another MNer is being recruited <_< Hope you still have time to hang out with us in here bud.

And now with three mods on the team trolls have no business in our thread :D

BTW congrats my friend on your new position. Yet another MNer is being recruited <_< Hope you still have time to hang out with us in here bud.

And now with three mods on the team trolls have no business in our thread :D

Thank you HLD :D I'll be around to chip in with this thread. I'd like to give my congrats to Brian and his new title of Captain

"oh Captain, my Captain"

;)

And I thought this was supposed to be on the "Hush. hush"... well 'tanks me beauty'... is there such a thing as a Captain Admiral??? :unsure:

Not sure about captain admiral. I suppose you're Admiral in this thread, and captain in the rest of the forum, and HHN...not sure where, and brianw6 on your....oh I dunno :blink: This is getting confusing :P

HONG KONG! Sweet man.... :D

When your first game was at the forum Vs Blues in 1972, you don't froget the Habs, ever, anywhere.

I'll be back, someday, got two reds on waiting list, to enjoy in retirement.

Well done on your thread, very good, very entertaining.

Cheers

BSL

When your first game was at the forum Vs Blues in 1972, you don't froget the Habs, ever, anywhere.

I'll be back, someday, got two reds on waiting list, to enjoy in retirement.

Well done on your thread, very good, very entertaining.

Cheers

BSL

Awesome. Thanks for the kind words.

I look forward to seeing you in here more often.

Guest hatethoseleafs
And I thought this was supposed to be on the "Hush. hush"... well 'tanks me beauty'... is there such a thing as a Captain Admiral??? :unsure:

We'll just call you Capmiral. :P

Guest hatethoseleafs

HLD...i sent you a pm a few days ago but i guess the boards were acting up a bit and it didnt get to you. ( that or your ignoring me :P ).Could you re send me the login name and password to the mn blog. It's been so long that i've forgotten them. I'm gonna try and update that Leaf quote soon. ;)

:lol: I love it! I can have the title changed on the sig if you want :D

The only down side of course is if one day someone has a typo, we might see you be called Crapmiral :o:rolleyes:

Uh... NO!!! Its really two separate things and I defeinitely don't want to be crapped on... welll I mean have any crap added... ahhhh what the... brianw6 is a Captain... HHN is and Admiral... and I'm,well... something in between :)

Guest hatethoseleafs
:lol: I love it! I can have the title changed on the sig if you want :D

The only down side of course is if one day someone has a typo, we might see you be called Crapmiral :o:rolleyes:

Choices Choices :P:P:P

Guest Newfie_Gurrl29

Leafs Report

Eaves OT hero as Sens drop Leafs

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219133&hubname=

Like Blue Rodeo, Leafs prove they are 'lost together' on ice

http://www.thestar.com/NHL/Columnist/article/260197

From The Boards

-Not our problem the sens always choke in the playoffs.

-- True. Your problems are exponentially bigger ;).

I'll say this...Raycroft is awful, thats it, I won't go into detail and rant on it, its simple, he's just awful.

The wins are what the team in front of gave him, because I can't recall a time when he stole a game for the leafs.

-- Fan about Raycroft

This season looks no better.

they will be fighting for the 7th or 8th playoff spot and it will once again come down to the wire.

challenge for the cup? who's kidding who...

the leafs look like a bunch of kids compared to Ottawas players.

its not just raycroft. its the whole team and the franchise.

there is no sign of cup contention for the next 5 years. 10 if and only if their top prospects turn into top nhl'ers

keep cheering so hard for a mediocre team that will only ever be a mediocre team and see what you get

You should make a new thread called "Leafs stink and are going nowhere - nothing but a bunch of AHL'ers".

this is not a cup contention team, it is a team that will challange to make the playoffs. plain and simple. pin this thread and we'll talk in March

Some Fan Belives that the NHL is against the leafs

http://chat.mapleleafs.com/index.php?showtopic=60991

Newfie_Gurrl29

:)

Archived