The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomas Plekanec 2007-08

jl-1

Guest newton
He's not going to hit 70 points or even 50 points playing with Tom Kostopoulos, I'll tell you what.

Ouch.

Sometimes I wonder what the hell is Carbo thinking.. but he's the hockey pro - not me.

To tell you the trush i didnt notice him much out there tonight, it could be that he was on our 3rd line, i was really expecting to see more of him. Could be the new number so i dont notice him right away, May take a few games for me to get used to it, And the fact that the game was only in french tonight. but i personally didnt notice him

He really needs to play with better linemates than what he had to tonight. Just seemed like everytime he was working up the ice with the puck he was by himself.

His role kind of reminds me of Perezhogan last year..........

I know how badly that ended, im sure by the end of the season he will be rotated around in the lineup

Guest stevesaku

he played really well tonight considering he wasnt on the best line. lats was painfully slow( i kind of feel bad for him cause i know he tries hard) and kostopolous..well..not much you can do with him.

he played really well tonight considering he wasnt on the best line. lats was painfully slow( i kind of feel bad for him cause i know he tries hard) and kostopolous..well..not much you can do with him.

Under the circumstances with these guys, he indeed played well. He deserves/need better/other line mates if you want the best out of him. We will see how the staff will use him further on.

Guest Greek Hab
He's not going to hit 70 points or even 50 points playing with Tom Kostopoulos, I'll tell you what.

Agree, Tom is a pure shut-down man, and doesn't provide as accurate enough of an offensive presence. Guy better come to his senses and drop this "I'm afraid that we don't have enough defensive equilibrium on the lines."

Lats - Pleks - Smokes (The only defensive liability in that line is Gui, but it's still a solid line)

Dandenault - Begin - Kostopo (The only downfall in this line would probably be Begin's faceoff %, defensively this line is great)

Begin - Chipchura - Kostopo (The faceoff % is no longer a problem with this line, and with Chips as center we may actually get scoring chances)

Begin - Chipchura - Dandenault (Again faceoff % is good, but the hard hitting factor would all be on Begin's shoulders)

Guest jennifer_rocket

Yeah, I concur with everyone here that they should try Smolinski on the line with Plekanec and Latendresse against the Leafs. I guess they're reluctant to chuck Chipchura out there on his own line right away, but we're going to have to put him out there sometime. Might as well be against the Leafs.

Guest fansince1975

The new number was strange. Didn't realize quickly that it was Pleks.

I think he is a very good player and can play on any line. He is defensively sound and has the potential to score a lot. However, based on the line that he played last night his role was defensive.

I think that a line of Chips, Smoke and Pleks would be amazing at shutting down top lines and each player would put in 20 goals as a bonus. There is of course the possibility that he will center the 2nd line but at this second Montreal is giving Grabs the opportunity. I think it is good to give Grabs the chance as Montreal needs more goal production. It certainly is nice that Pleks could be moved up to the 2nd line if Grabs fails to produce.

He might not have had many chances to show his offensive side in the first game but the line was very good defensively. If you can shutdown the opposition the goalies will play better and the wins will occur.

Guest StratfordStreak

Is it just me, or would Lapierre look alot better out there with Plekanec and Latendresse.

I think he would add a lot more fire to that line than Kostopoulous ever will.

Plekanec is playing with unsuitable linemates, and this needs to change fast. Put him with Smolinski and Begin and you might have something. Kostopoulos isn't a skill guy and won't help generate scoring chances, and Latendresse is too raw right now and frankly, too slow to keep up.

Guest f30marco

i think that grabovski isnt ready for NHL hockey and i dont know if he will ever be, plekanec proved everything and is still being treated like he isnt a legit top 6 forward...... i dont know if its just going to be like this for a couple games but plek's should be on the second line with kovy and kosti! period! grabovski should be in the AHL right now not cause he isnt good enough to make the team but not good enough to earn a scoring position on the team. 2nd line. its early i know but if nothing has changed by november, than i think we are making a big mistake with plek's on the 3rd line and an even bigger mistake with grabs on the team.

Guest Miltie01

People make the same mistake with pleks as they did with Federov !!!

Most think these guys are offensive players when in reality their good defensive play is the catalyst that gives them opportunties to pick up points.

Much like Fedoerov Pleks is great defensively and has the skill necessary to do a good job converting on the opportunities he creates.

This is why he seems to do well no matter what line he is on.

Most think these guys are offensive players when in reality their good defensive play is the catalyst that gives them opportunties to pick up points.

Much like Fedoerov Pleks is great defensively and has the skill necessary to do a good job converting on the opportunities he creates.

I agree Miltie... very good comparison with Federov too.

Guest WantMoreCups

hopefully saturday they will sit grabs and let chip. play so the lines can look like this :

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kost.-Pleks.-Kovalev

Smolinsky-Chips.-Lats.

Kostopoulos-Begin-someone else

if the lines were like this im sure plek will do some good stuff

Guest f30marco

oh yeah i forgot that fedorov got 120pts playing on the third line????????????? come on we are a team desperatly missing a scoring center !! if grabs can't hold the fort, time to stop making plekanec into a much lesser fedorov, rather upgrade him to second line center who is a solid 2 way player aswell like rolston, conroy etc.

This is one of the best things I've read about Plekanec in a long time. Well said. It's not that he doesn't have offensive skill, it's just that his defensive skill is what sets up his scoring chances.

Dynasty redux is probably rolling in his grave.

I think Plekanec and Chipchura will get along great together. They might even be defensively responsible enough to allow for a player like Latendresse to join them as a trio and still be a solid checking line.

Guest habslover14
I think Plekanec and Chipchura will get along great together. They might even be defensively responsible enough to allow for a player like Latendresse to join them as a trio and still be a solid checking line.

but aren't Pleks and Chip both center players?

i saw Pleks with Kostopoulos and Begin some time in the 3rd... man.. i think he'd do great with Kostitsyn and Kovy.

Okay I don't care if it upsets Kovalev, put Plekanek on the second, Smolinski on the third, and Grabvoski on the fourth. Plekanek's second half of the season last year was around a point per game, we're completely wasting his talent. We have him playing with a winger who has a career high 22 points, and a sophmore who has a nice shot and package, but no hockey sense at all. Plekanek looks good but he doesn't have any linemates (I saw at least 3 times today Plekanek make beutiful moves just to have no one around him to pass it to). In the meantime, Grabvoski isn't looking too special on the second line. I know it's best if we make Kovy happy, but we finally found a great #2 center and now we have him playing a completely defensive game with linemates with little offensive skill (Latendress may one day, but unless he's playing with Koivu he can't do a lot)

Archived