The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomas Plekanec 2007-08

jl-1

People make the same mistake with pleks as they did with Federov !!!

Most think these guys are offensive players when in reality their good defensive play is the catalyst that gives them opportunties to pick up points.

Much like Fedoerov Pleks is great defensively and has the skill necessary to do a good job converting on the opportunities he creates.

This is why he seems to do well no matter what line he is on.

That's a good comparison. But Plekanek proved the second half of last season that when put with good players he can put the points up. He may be defensively minded, but he has solid playmaking skills. He'll never be a #1 center, but he's perfect in that #2 role.

Guest habsfan#08

Please, just give the man some line mates. Kostopolous has NO BUSINESS on that line, none at all. The way Lats is playing right now he shouldn't be there either. Pleks is playing incredibly well right now but his skills are going to waste with two line mates who can't help him at all. Put him on a line with Chipchura and Smolinski. At least we won't be wasting Pleks with bad linemates AND Smolinski on the 4th line.

Guest CHimbued

Grabs to the third, Pleks to the second. I think kovy needs that injection of youth, but I think Kosty can do that for him. Plekanec is looking really dangerous and I think with those linemates we could have a second line that is really dangerous.

Guest jeff33
Okay I don't care if it upsets Kovalev, put Plekanek on the second, Smolinski on the third, and Grabvoski on the fourth. Plekanek's second half of the season last year was around a point per game, we're completely wasting his talent. We have him playing with a winger who has a career high 22 points, and a sophmore who has a nice shot and package, but no hockey sense at all. Plekanek looks good but he doesn't have any linemates (I saw at least 3 times today Plekanek make beutiful moves just to have no one around him to pass it to). In the meantime, Grabvoski isn't looking too special on the second line. I know it's best if we make Kovy happy, but we finally found a great #2 center and now we have him playing a completely defensive game with linemates with little offensive skill (Latendress may one day, but unless he's playing with Koivu he can't do a lot)

i agree with this completely, my observations after tonights game are identical to yours, but im going to go one better. instead of switching pleks and grabs, imagine koivu between those 2? and pleks with higgins and ryder? anyway i posted in carbos thread what im saying and what ive read here already a few times, give this man some linemates. my god we are wasting his talent. i was predicting plekanec to be the guy who really made some noise this year, but he sure as heck isnt going to do it playing with kostopolous and latendresse. and if we want kovalev getting 70 pts he needs a better center. this needs to be addressed asap, we have enough offensive issues as it is

i agree with this completely, my observations after tonights game are identical to yours, but im going to go one better. instead of switching pleks and grabs, imagine koivu between those 2? and pleks with higgins and ryder?

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that. It makes perfect sense, have a top line with our 3 most skilled players, and a second line with 3 less skilled, but hardworking and point producing players. But, I've given up on that. It's obvious we won't see Koivu and Kovy together, or see Koivu and Ryder get broken up, so I think swapping Pleks and Grabs (well and moving Smolinski to the third line) is about the best we can hope for.

Guest jeff33
Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that. It makes perfect sense, have a top line with our 3 most skilled players, and a second line with 3 less skilled, but hardworking and point producing players. But, I've given up on that. It's obvious we won't see Koivu and Kovy together, or see Koivu and Ryder get broken up, so I think swapping Pleks and Grabs (well and moving Smolinski to the third line) is about the best we can hope for.

sadly ive come to the same conclusion, and i actually did assume that we were on the same page here about that. i agree your suggestion is the more realistic and (again sadly) the best we can hope for. i just wanted to throw that out there for some reaction, its my number one peeve of this year so far lol

Guest overlords
sadly ive come to the same conclusion, and i actually did assume that we were on the same page here about that. i agree your suggestion is the more realistic and (again sadly) the best we can hope for. i just wanted to throw that out there for some reaction, its my number one peeve of this year so far lol

I think the fact that koivu has been stitched to ryder this year is more of a business move as opposed to last year, which was stubborness. They're going to try to get ryder's value up the highest it can go for a cup running team because let's face it, we might make the playoffs and even win a round, maybe two, but no team is winning the cup with dandenault as a forward :P

Guest Miltie01

Pleks did well on the third line in pre season, with Lats or Higgins on the one side, the difference in the regular season is they took Smoke off the other wing. Put Smoke back and a difference will be seen.

Agreed. They are wasting Pleks by playing him with Kostopoulos.

Im pretty sure I say Kostopoulos on the powerplay as well. In my opinion, Kostopoulos should not even be on this team. Plekanec deserves way better then the players he's playing with. But who else do we have? that russian line should stay together...

Guest Miltie01

Higgins , Smolinski

Higgins , Kostitsyn

Latendresse, Smolinski

These are the lines he has looked best on from last season, and this pre-season

I think the fact that koivu has been stitched to ryder this year is more of a business move as opposed to last year, which was stubborness. They're going to try to get ryder's value up the highest it can go for a cup running team because let's face it, we might make the playoffs and even win a round, maybe two, but no team is winning the cup with dandenault as a forward :P

Detroit did it -- 3 times. Let's get over our personal biases here, he's been one of the best players on the ice. But let's get back to the topic.

I think Plekanec would be fine on the third line, but I think Smolinski should be back up there as well. In my opinion, he's the perfect kind of player to play with Plekanec; he's solid in both ends of the ice, and he can open up some space with his size (not overly big, but solid). It also allows for Plekanec and Smolinski to have the ability to switch roles on the fly, which would cause some havok for defenders out there.

Guest jennifer_rocket

Not to kick a dead horse, or anything, but I wonder what Plekanec line would be like with...

G. Latendresse...

A. Perezhogin...

?

Guest jennifer_rocket
Uh, isn't Plekanec already playing with Latendresse? Kosto is the other member of the line. Neither player is a good fit for Pleks if we want him to match last year's point total.

Yeah, I was just pondering what the line would be like if Perezhogin joined Lats and Pleks, instead of having Kostopoulos there. He was good for us last year, and played well in a defensive role. Alas, it is not to be, obviously... Perhaps we should just bench Kostopoulos until an injury.

Yeah, I was just pondering what the line would be like if Perezhogin joined Lats and Pleks, instead of having Kostopoulos there. He was good for us last year, and played well in a defensive role. Alas, it is not to be, obviously... Perhaps we should just bench Kostopoulos until an injury.

The way Lats is playing this year, I don't think it matters who lines up on the right wing. Plekanec is being utterly wasted right now, sadly.

Guest Memo Gonzales

I have a feeling that Pleks is going to be a major threat for the Pens today. Our second line has tons of potential with two great shooters on the wings and a great playmaker in the middle. Hopefully they can live up to the expectations and give Fleury a busy night. 0+3 for Tomas! :P

Guest RedLightRacicot

I'm glad to see he will be playing on the second line tonight. I like many people here were looking forward all summer to the return of the Plekanec centering the second line. Pleks/Higgins and Kostitsyn really worked late last season, I'm hoping Kovelev can work just as effectively!

I have a feeling that Pleks is going to be a major threat for the Pens today. Our second line has tons of potential with two great shooters on the wings and a great playmaker in the middle. Hopefully they can live up to the expectations and give Fleury a busy night. 0+3 for Tomas! :P

hopefull you are right ;) fleury has a glorious average over 4 gpg for his 1st two games ....hmm...i'm afraid he will do like ward and toskala ... play the game of his life just to annoy us :rolleyes: ....

naaah! i'll stay on the positive side too and say that pleks name will be on the score sheet tonight :)

Archived