The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

Guest 1970 Habs
Smolinski's stats are respectable only because he really elevated his play over the past few weeks, including his faceoff percentage. While I'm very happy to finally be seeing the player I thought we were getting last summer, it doesn't make up for the other three-quarters of the season in which he was, franky, quite subpar.

I do agree that his experience should be useful in the playoffs.

If Smoke can step up now in the playoffs his useless season will be forgotten, i tell ya we will need is FO work with Saku out

Suggest you guys check his stats; it's more like the past 8 weeks (almost 2 months). :lol:

Guest fansince1975
Smolinksi took some heat during the season for his performance and I will agree it could have been better. However looking at his stats after the regular season was over compared to Bonk, the guy he replaced Smolinski didn't do too bad. In fact her did pretty good :)

Smolinksi GP: 64

Goals - 8

Assits - 17

Points - 25

FO% 51.8

+/- = -6

Bonk Gp 79

Goals - 14

Assists - 15

Points - 29

FO% 52

+/- = -31

Bonk has a slight, slight edge in the faceoff circle and has 4 more points. Smolinski has 4 less points but played in 15 fewer games. The -6 is not the greatest stat for a defensive forward but it is still alot better then Bonks -31. Also Bonk was given 233.09 PP minutes this past season and had 6 goals. Smolinki? 37:43 minutes and managed 1 goal.

I thought at the start of the season whe should have kept Bonk and I know there were fans who thought the same but but looking at their stats now I have to admit signing Smolinski was a good idea. Given the fact he has been doing quite well this past month in the Faceoff circle, how he and the 4th line are coming together and that he has the most playoff experience on the team this guy is a great asset to the team at this time of the year.

Subpar season....until. I think he turned it around January 24th against the Devils. Smoke had two goals and was first star of the game in 4-3 Montreal win. He has played far better since January 24th. He is valuable to the team with his face-off skill, PK, defensive skill and right hand shot.

I wonder if he will be offerred a contract by BG this summer?

I thought he should not be offerred a contract but he has really picked up his game. I guess the biggest factor is whether Chips is ready to assume the role provided by Smoke on the checking line and PK. I always considered any goals to be a bonus as his job is to prevent goals. Not score goals. Although it is hard to score on Price when Smoke is scoring on Thomas.

Suggest you guys check his stats; it's more like the past 8 weeks (almost 2 months). :lol:

Subpar season....until. I think he turned it around January 24th against the Devils. Smoke had two goals and was first star of the game in 4-3 Montreal win. He has played far better since January 24th. He is valuable to the team with his face-off skill, PK, defensive skill and right hand shot.

I wonder if he will be offerred a contract by BG this summer?

I thought he should not be offerred a contract but he has really picked up his game. I guess the biggest factor is whether Chips is ready to assume the role provided by Smoke on the checking line and PK. I always considered any goals to be a bonus as his job is to prevent goals. Not score goals. Although it is hard to score on Price when Smoke is scoring on Thomas.

Agree in both counts. Smolinski turned his season around after the last time he was a healthy scratch. Like Bonk two years ago, it just took a long time for most to notice it as they were focusing too much on the negative. Way to go Smoke!

Guest Habs_Mania

Another solid game by Smoke. He continues to battle, win faceoffs and collect points. He is running a good playoffs line so far. Keep up the effort! NOT the same guy we saw for most of the regular season.

Guest recchi_8
Another very, very strong game by Smolinski. What an important player he has become!

so true..we need this guy to keep winnig face offs...1000 + games under his belt is prooving to be quite an asset...hes my sleeper pick in my pool...great tool fro carbo to have...keep it up buddy

Guest QbGamer

Seems like all these vets really know how to perform in the playoff's

Breezer/ Smoke, guys you dont appreciate during the season, but come playoff time they really step it up

Guest vaya_

Smolinski also had decent playoffs last year with the Canucks but nothing like this series. Smolinski has made few mistakes and he's been hitting and playmaking at both ends of the ice. Great stuff!

Guest kjdriedger

I must agree. I thought he was a shoe in to be gonzo at season's end, but...I think he stays for sure now, despite the guys in the wings biting at the chomp to have a go at centre. He has to be signed for another year.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Had a rare night below 50% in the faceoff circle, but compensated with top-notch defensive work on the PK and a willingness to muck it up along the boards with Kosto and Bégin. I still don't want him back this summer, but he is sure contributing right now.

Why would you not want him back. Here's a player, like Kostopoulos and Begin that had to fight for their playing time all year and instead of getting down on themselves continued playing hard and are now leading the Habs into the playoffs. Just think for a minute Weep that if those three weren't on this team at this time and we had to rely on the youth to get it done, we probably wouldn't be here today looking towards who we play next.

I'd love to see those three get the recognition they deserve by keeping them together next year and assigning them a third line role where they have the confidence of the organization and are not looking over their shoulders worrying about if they'll be a healthy scatch next game.

Seems to me that alot of players this year got a free pass they didn't deserve and blue collar workers like those 3 paid the price.

Why would you not want him back. Here's a player, like Kostopoulos and Begin that had to fight for their playing time all year and instead of getting down on themselves continued playing hard and are now leading the Habs into the playoffs. Just think for a minute Weep that if those three weren't on this team at this time and we had to rely on the youth to get it done, we probably wouldn't be here today looking towards who we play next.

I'd love to see those three get the recognition they deserve by keeping them together next year and assigning them a third line role where they have the confidence of the organization and are not looking over their shoulders worrying about if they'll be a healthy scatch next game.

Seems to me that alot of players this year got a free pass they didn't deserve and blue collar workers like those 3 paid the price.

I don't want him back because he basically tanked three-quarters of the season until it finally dawned on him that if he didn't start elevating his game, he'd be in the AHL or Europe next season. One good quarter season and one good playoff round do not make up for 60-odd games of absolute mediocrity. Also, he's 36, not exactly a spring chicken. I'd rather find someone younger and better on the free-agent market, though I'll confess that I don't know off-hand who that might be.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I don't want him back because he basically tanked three-quarters of the season until it finally dawned on him that if he didn't start elevating his game, he'd be in the AHL or Europe next season. One good quarter season and one good playoff round do not make up for 60-odd games of absolute mediocrity. Also, he's 36, not exactly a spring chicken. I'd rather find someone younger and better on the free-agent market, though I'll confess that I don't know off-hand who that might be.

I won't try and speculate why he "tanked" in the beginning. All I'm saying is that he'd be a good player to have back here when we make another run at the cup. You know full well that playoff performers are not easy to come by. I wouldn't pay him 2mil a year again, but for half of that, why not.

I won't try and speculate why he "tanked" in the beginning. All I'm saying is that he'd be a good player to have back here when we make another run at the cup. You know full well that playoff performers are not easy to come by. I wouldn't pay him 2mil a year again, but for half of that, why not.

Will he take a 50% pay cut to play here for one year, though? I doubt it.

Guest AlexK

Don't worry about what happens next year. He is playing well right now and is playing his best hockey all season by far. This is a good time to pick to play your best hockey. Next season I think he will be gone bcause Chips and Grabs are knocking at the door.

Guest mcdonald19

The play of the veterans has been immense in the playoffs but is it worthwhile to keep players on the roster for a whole season (at a substantial cost) for using only in the playoffs? I'm not sold on the idea myself. I am glad to see Smoke, dandenault etc do well, don't get me wrong? But for next season I would argue a case for letting the likes of Chipchura or Lapierre play all season and gain the experience they need at a much lower cost. The experience Lapierre is getting on the fourth line in the playoffs this year could prepare him for filling in Smokes role if they were to get this far next season. Chipchura (for the sake of arguement) could then take the role Lapierre has this year on the fourth line type scenario. I think with the players we have in the system, mean that wouldn't make financial sense to sign Smoke again next year as he's not likely to take a huge paycut of like 50%.

Just my opinion

Guest fansince1975

Will BG make Smoke a contract offer? hmmm.

IMO he not be back next season with Montreal. He has played much much better since middle of January. But with Chips, Lapierre, and Grabs all playing center and possibility BG will go after Sundin or Holik this summer there might be no room for veteran center.

With that said. He is playing good and could help our team go deep into the playoffs. Good at face-offs, experience, PK, checking line, and some offensive ability.

Guest den0923
Will BG make Smoke a contract offer? hmmm.

IMO he not be back next season with Montreal. He has played much much better since middle of January. But with Chips, Lapierre, and Grabs all playing center and possibility BG will go after Sundin or Holik this summer there might be no room for veteran center.

With that said. He is playing good and could help our team go deep into the playoffs. Good at face-offs, experience, PK, checking line, and some offensive ability.

Nope needs to make room for young guys in minors, one nemed Chipchura comes to mind.

Archived