The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

Smolinski has made more people eat crow than any other player this season. Since the last time he got benched, he's played excellent hockey for us including down the stretch and in the playoffs. Money well spent, that's for sure, and he allowed Chipchura to gain one more year experience as he'll be ready for prime time next season.

I can't believe you are serious. He had 1 point in the last 9 games.

I can't believe you are serious. He had 1 point in the last 9 games.

To each their roles. Success is not always measured in points you know. A scoring forward can have 7 points and still have a bad series while a guy with 0 points can still have great series, depending on the roles they're asked to perform.

Anyway, I've seen the negativity green pill enough, I'll remain positive and will continue to apply my signature. :D

Indeed and he played pretty badly most of the season. In the Boston series he played really well, but in the the Flyers series he really made a lot of bad mistakes and started to look like his regular season self again. Unfortunately I think perhaps he is just getting to old. I don't think the Habs can trade the almost the whole season being taken off for a few playoff games every year.

Indeed and he played pretty badly most of the season. In the Boston series he played really well, but in the the Flyers series he really made a lot of bad mistakes and started to look like his regular season self again. Unfortunately I think perhaps he is just getting to old. I don't think the Habs can trade the almost the whole season being taken off for a few playoff games every year.

I agree. I can't see him back next year. In the last 9 playoff games, he had 1 assist. Montreal needs better production than that from a player with his experience.

I like Smoke. At times he was great and at other times he was hardly noticable, but overall I think he was good here in MTL.

Not sure if Gainey is going to resign him though. I was reading on TSN.ca today that Gainey is looking for a forward over the summer. Not saying that this means Smoke is out, but he certainly seems like the most likely candidate for losing his spot.

Goodbye Smolinski. ;)

You (and your little boy) were fun for one season, but we need an improvement next year!

Smolinski gave us a good round against the Bruins, but was abysmal throughout the regular season. It's time for an upgrade, and that might mean a checking line of Lapierre and Chipchura, or perhaps another free agent signing.

Had a good playoffs but it's not enough in my book to overshadow his lacklustre regular season. Cut him loose and let Chichura fill the breach.

I think he had a few good games against Boston at the beginning of that series. After that he had zero points in 9 games, and to me seemed to revert back to his old form. His face off percentage was over 50% only once in those 9 games, with a low of 27.3% in the 3rd game of the Philly series. I don't think he will be back.

For sure he would want to stay.. If we can offer him the same sort of contract as Breezer, i think it would be worth keeping him

750k+ Bonus's.. It would be worth it..

Heck look @ this years cap, we had about 5 million left over @ the end of the whole thing.. Blowing a few pennies here and there cant hurt us all that much, His experience could help us in the long run, but as always comes down to $

For sure he would want to stay.. If we can offer him the same sort of contract as Breezer, i think it would be worth keeping him

750k+ Bonus's.. It would be worth it..

Heck look @ this years cap, we had about 5 million left over @ the end of the whole thing.. Blowing a few pennies here and there cant hurt us all that much, His experience could help us in the long run, but as always comes down to $

I don't think he is worth it. He had a few good games against Boston at the beginning of that series. After that he had zero points in 9 games. His face off percentage was over 50% only once in those 9 games, with a low of 27.3% in the 3rd game of the Philly series. I don't think he will be back, and should be replaced by Chipchura.

If Gainey gets a good UFA centreman, then where would that leave Smolinski? I believe that he would rank behind the new player, Koivu, Plekanec, Lapierre, Begin, Chipchura, Grabovski, and anybody else who can play centre.

For 750 + Bonus incentives he would diffently be worth it. No doubts or question asked. I doubt he would be willing to accept that kind of deal, and i dont think he would be willing to take the spot of the spare center/ Mentor... on the team, i think he thinks he still has 1-2 good years left in him

For 750 + Bonus incentives he would diffently be worth it. No doubts or question asked. I doubt he would be willing to accept that kind of deal, and i dont think he would be willing to take the spot of the spare center/ Mentor... on the team, i think he thinks he still has 1-2 good years left in him

You might think that he thinks that, but I don't think that. I think this was his first and last year as a Hab.

It probably is, No one would be surprised if he left. Heck everyone is expecting him to leave and find a new home. That being said if we offered him near the league min which is 750 or more now with the new CBA, and he accepted it would be crazy not to take him for that $

I don't think he was ever in the team's long-term plans -- he was and always has been a sort of stop-gap, to fill the void before Chipchura, Lapierre, or someone else is more prepared to play the role.

He had a rough start to the season, but came on strong down the stretch and for the majority of the playoffs. I think he more/less served the purpose Gainey brought him in for. However, even though I like him, I will be disappointed if he's brough back for another season.

I expect BG will be trying hard to sign UFA Sundin this summer. If successful, that won't leave any room for Smoli; heck one of Koivu or Pleks may have to swing to wing themselves! Lapierre and Chipchura are two more centremen, plus Grabovski.

Going forward, Smoli is pretty much lined up behind all of them. I got the sense he was pretty good to have around the dressing room, and there's no doubt he had his good streaks of play (most notably the Bruins play-off series), but the poorer streaks were too often and too long. Some of his back-checking was deplorable. He's lost a few steps at this point in his career, and may just lose another half-step next season. This team is building up speed and Smoli doesn't bring much of that.

He'd certainly be useful around another youngish team though, just not one expecting to be contending for Lord Stanley's mug next season (like the Habs!).

I don't think he was ever in the team's long-term plans -- he was and always has been a sort of stop-gap, to fill the void before Chipchura, Lapierre, or someone else is more prepared to play the role.

As I understand it, the whole reason Smolinski was brought in - and Bonk not resigned - is that Bonk wanted a 2 year deal - money was never an issue, whereas Smolinski was content with a 1 year deal as long as it had a NTC.

Archived