The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

As I understand it, the whole reason Smolinski was brought in - and Bonk not resigned - is that Bonk wanted a 2 year deal - money was never an issue, whereas Smolinski was content with a 1 year deal as long as it had a NTC.

I think you have summarized exactly what happened. I don't think Smolinski will be back.

I would think that Smoke is third on the list of UFA defensive centers available this summer and more likely going to be replaced by Chips or Lapierre this coming season. However, if he was re-signed I expect Smoke to play much better then this past season. Since this is not likely at his age I would be mildly shocked if he was in Montreal come training camp.

I would think that Smoke is third on the list of UFA defensive centers available this summer and more likely going to be replaced by Chips or Lapierre this coming season. However, if he was re-signed I expect Smoke to play much better then this past season. Since this is not likely at his age I would be mildly shocked if he was in Montreal come training camp.

Considering the problem the Team has with faceoffs I would not be surprised if he was signed for another year if Mr. Gainey cannot acquire another centre in the off season.

Smolinski was by far the best player in the face off circle the last two months of the regular season and was only .5% behind Koivu (who led the Team) whose average was 52.3% for the whole season.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking after listening to his interview on team990 maybe they will bring him back for one more year to center the fouth line with Begin and Kostopolus. I know that Chips will probably make the team next year, but he is more of a third line center then a fourth line one. Perhaps Laps or Chips could move to the wing. I kind of feel bad for him having to move his family around and he could still be useful as a fourth line guy. I think the problem is we tried to use him as a third line guy most of the year.

I generally agree, but I feel bad he has to move his family.

He got paid $2 million this year, he can afford it. Lots of people are forced to move from city to city without having the luxury of millions of dollars at their disposal for moving costs. I have zero sympathy for Smolinski or his family in this regard.

He got paid $2 million this year, he can afford it. Lots of people are forced to move from city to city without having the luxury of millions of dollars at their disposal for moving costs. I have zero sympathy for Smolinski or his family in this regard.
Besides for $2MM (or less) the Habs could maybe sign Bobby Holik (a defensive centreman, a top face-off guy, and with a presence in front of the net that can be utilized) for one-year. I'd much prefer that over signing Smoli. Certainly, nice enough guy, but time for him to move on. I don't think he was worth to $2MM (he certainly didn't play that worth!), but the Habs needed some experience. ;)

If we bring in some other Center to take smolinskis place, we might aswell just keep smoke..

Think about it, we had Bonk, he left, we then signed Smoke..

With each UFA 3rd/4th line center we sign the min price will be 2 million, and we will be taking a gamble on them. We know what we have in smoke.... even though he isnt all that amazing we know when it comes down to it he can perform, if we were to keep him here, we could probably sign him for less $ this year.

If we go into the UFa market after holik or someone along those lines were looking @ 2 + million again, and we are taking a gamble once again

Keep smoke @ 1.5 or something, or, go with chips/mini max

If we bring in some other Center to take smolinskis place, we might aswell just keep smoke..

Think about it, we had Bonk, he left, we then signed Smoke..

With each UFA 3rd/4th line center we sign the min price will be 2 million, and we will be taking a gamble on them. We know what we have in smoke.... even though he isnt all that amazing we know when it comes down to it he can perform, if we were to keep him here, we could probably sign him for less $ this year.

If we go into the UFa market after holik or someone along those lines were looking @ 2 + million again, and we are taking a gamble once again

Keep smoke @ 1.5 or something, or, go with chips/mini max

I can't see why we should keep Smolinski over some UFA. You say we would be taking a gamble on some UFA, and we know what we got in Smolinski. That's why we should not resign Smolinski since we know what we got in Smolinski, and what he did not bring to the table last year.

Your last line implies that if we can sign Smolinski for $1.5 million, we do not need Chipchura or Lapierre. I have to disagree with you 1000% on that observation. Lapierre could skate circles around Smolinski, and Chipchura is an up and coming good young centreman who is going to continue to get better.

Hence we either go with old man smoke, who came alive in the playoffs or we go with a rookie,

I doubt we will be going with another random UFA, older man who will continue to dissapoint.

Keep what we have as a backup + work with the kids, or just rely with the kids all together

Hence we either go with old man smoke, who came alive in the playoffs or we go with a rookie,

I doubt we will be going with another random UFA, older man who will continue to dissapoint.

Keep what we have as a backup + work with the kids, or just rely with the kids all together

Smolinski came alive briefly in the first few games against Boston, but then went 9 consecutive games without a point.

Why keep him if he is an older man who continues to disappoint?

Im not saying we should, im saynig if we were to get someone else who looks just as good on paper as he did. Then it will probably end up having the same result @ the end of the year, accept we will be paying a premium as they will be a UFA with offers from a few teams?

Just keep smoke if your going to take this path.

If your going to take the Young kid path, then do that. I dont see any point signing a "Vet" 3rd-4th line center, someone different then smoke, just keep him, or use the kids.

Main point im trying to make

Cheers

If your going to take the Young kid path, then do that. I dont see any point signing a "Vet" 3rd-4th line center, someone different then smoke, just keep him, or use the kids.

You are assuming that all third-line veteran centers are the same, and bring exactly the same things to the table. I would dispute that assumption. :)

I do assume that,

Bonk/Smoke

All did the same sorta thing,

Bonk was > then smoke, and was alot better on the pk and so on, but were not going to find some sort of cheap gem in the UFA market

You never know. It does happen, and Gainey and his staff are great judges of the talent out there. I can't see them resigning Smolinski.

You never know. It does happen, and Gainey and his staff are great judges of the talent out there. I can't see them resigning Smolinski.

As you said, you never know. I didn't mind his performance in the first round of the play offs. But since Lapierre is signed, with Koivu and Plek a sure fit resigning Smoke could be troublesome.

I do assume that,

Bonk/Smoke

All did the same sorta thing,

Bonk was > then smoke, and was alot better on the pk and so on, but were not going to find some sort of cheap gem in the UFA market

Bonk and Smolinski were and are different players. Smoke is a better faceoff man and probably has more defensive instinct in his own end. Bonk is bigger and stronger with more offensive upside.

I guess my point is that not all third-line veteran centers are the same. ;)

Holik would be an interesting option.

Holik would be an interesting option.

Can be relied upon for big goals and flashes surprisingly soft hands for a player of his size. Waddell would throw him out against other team's stars. Being in Toronto, I've watched many Thrashers/Leafs game and Holik would stick to Sundin like velcro and frustrate him to no end. He's big, strong, grizzled and ane established veteran prescence so Gainey wouldn't have to worry about losing any of the intangible qualities a guy like Smoke might bring to the table.

A surface comparison reveals the following. Smoke was 51.8% in the playof circle this year, but took only 19.9 percent of the team's draws. Holik worked at 58.4% efficiency last season and lined up for 31.5% of his team's draws. Holik also finished with ten more points and seven more goals than Smoke but we must also account for the fact he got more ice time and had a better supporting cast.

• 1 month later...
I'm not.

Lots of others (way before Smoke) are still waiting. Maybe a team will pick him up right before the season starts. (late into training camp).

I'm not surprised either. I can't imagine teams lining up to sign Smolinski, but like you say, some team may eventually have a need for him before the season opens. I believe the season was started last year before Johnson got signed by the Blues.

Archived