The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

Welcome to Montreal Bryan....beware the magnifying glass !!!

Not really a magnifying glass, more of a sniper's scope. :P

But seriously, Bonk was injured during the first half of his first season here, and it took him awhile to round into form. Smolinski, as far as I know, is perfectly healthy, yet his play seems rather lacklustre and, like we've said, the team-worst plus-minus and the subpar faceoff percentage are disturbing for a player we acquired specifically to be a shutdown centre.

Guest overlords
I thought he had a good game

Well I didn't see the game so i can't really judge. Usually i'm inclined to believe you miltie. But unless he blinded other players with his big shiny dome of a head, or something else the stat sheet isn't telling me, i'm inclined to believe he had an off night.

In fairness, it did take Bonk time to adjust with the Habs too... we should give smoke the time I guess.

Bonk was out with an injury for most of the first half of 05-06. Smolinski is perfectly healthy, and to be honest, his role isn't exactly rocket science. He needs to win faceoffs, shut down other teams' top lines, and be on the ice for more goals for than against. So far, he hasn't done any of those things.

I'm hoping he hits a groove soon, because so far, I would have preferred Bonk even on a two-year contract.

Guest overlords

Wow, the only time i evne saw smolinski tonight was once when he lost a faceoff on a PK and when he took that dumb penalty. I'm REALLY starting to hate this signing.

Guest f30marco
And now in sole possession of the team-worst plus-minus at -6. I don't know what he's doing out there, but it ain't being a shutdown centre. He had better pick up his play soon.

what made gainey and carb's think this guy could be a shut down center? the fact that he is pretty decent on face-offs? i know we want more offence fro our 3rd and 4th line but i never thought smolinski as a defensive shut-down guy. i really dont know why johnson is rotting in st.louis while smokes is our number one shut down guy..but in all fairness as someone mentioned, it takes time to adjust to the habs way of playing so we might aswell give him some more time.

Guest FunkyOne

He is not at all a "Great" signing but he is decent. The problem with all our vetran pluggers (Bonk, Johnson and Smolinski) is not talent, they have talent, it is their desire to play and give 100% all the time. Bonk didn't and neither did Johnson...they just floated. Smolinski is doing the same. My philosophy is that if our 3rd line can shut-down, and our 4th can be the x-factor to change the tide of the game then that constitutes great depth. With floaters like Smo, we can't claim we have great depth. That is why I wish we had 2 Plekanec-like players, who give it their all and are great 2 way players. But that is neither here nor there.

We have him for another 60 games I guess...

Guest overlords

Smoke got 2 points last night :o and was plus 2 :o. That's a great night for the guy and i hope he keeps it up. I just hope he keeps getting +/- 0 or +/- 1 nights. He's had some bad games but we really need our shutdown center to be at his best, or else chipchura will take the spot from him.

Guest silversnake
Nice to see Carbo successfully lit a fire under Smoke (heh) by calling him out. Picked up some points, did well in the faceoff circle, and played a strong game at both ends of the ice. That is what he needs to deliver more consistently.

definitely but he still needs to watch out by taking stupid penalties. seems like sometimes he would just rather take the penalty instead of finishing his shift.

he knows its his last year in the league, he is just trying to stay out of the way and not get hurt. thought this would be a good signing but its apparent what the deal is here

Guest jennifer_rocket

How old is Smolinski? Perhaps age has caught up with the guy. He's certainly been anything but impressive so far this season. Here's to hoping he turns it around!

Smolinski is the least of our worries on this team at the time being. He was brought here to be a checker. I'm a heck of a lot more concerned with our goals scoring...

I don't know, JL. Smolinski was brought in to be a shutdown centre. He isn't doing that, not by a long shot. He was brought in for faceoff ability. He isn't winning faceoffs consistently. He has hovered around the 40-point mark for many seasons and was expected to provide some scoring ability. At his current pace, he'll finish the season with less than 8 goals.

Does the team have more serious problems than Smolinski? Probably. But every problem on the team adds up to something bigger. Right now, this guy is a serious disappointment.

I don't know, JL. Smolinski was brought in to be a shutdown centre. He isn't doing that, not by a long shot. He was brought in for faceoff ability. He isn't winning faceoffs consistently. He has hovered around the 40-point mark for many seasons and was expected to provide some scoring ability. At his current pace, he'll finish the season with less than 8 goals.

Does the team have more serious problems than Smolinski? Probably. But every problem on the team adds up to something bigger. Right now, this guy is a serious disappointment.

Reading this, I had a flashback of Radek Bonk's thread. ;)

Archived