The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

Guest Miltie01
Well then, those complaints were unfair. I'm not disputing that.
  1. It is not just a question of adapting European offensive skills to an American system (you make it sound like Europeans can't play as a team outside of the NHL, and I beg to differ; see the last Olympics for abundant proof). The speed, physicality, and grind of an 82-game NHL schedule is something all players must adapt to, European or not. You can't just take 1 pound of offensive skills, add team system for flavour, and churn out wonderbread stars.
  2. I never said we were ruining Kostitsyn. But we are failing to maximize his potential by putting him on the second line, where he is expected to score, and then demanding that he score AND worry about defensive responsibility in his first full season in the NHL.
  3. Why are we comparing Andrei Kostitsyn to Mike Modano, one of the greatest players of the modern era? Talk about setting the bar too high. Not many established players in the league would stack up to Modano in his prime but we're demanding that a rookie meet that standard?

It is not just a European skill thing, but they do have more troubles fitting into NA systems play.

Kostitsyn can already do things offensively, he has to add responsability to his game or he will not be a successful NHL player.

I never said Kostitsyn was Modano. I said ask Modano, because he never won a darn thing in the league .......until Bob taught how to add responsability to his game !!! Again, ask Modano, he will tell you.

Guest Godfather
Well then, those complaints were unfair. I'm not disputing that.

But we are failing to maximize his potential by putting him on the second line, where he is expected to score, and then demanding that he score AND worry about defensive responsibility in his first full season in the NHL.

Why do you believe we are minimizing Kostitsyn's potential by putting him on the second line?

I think if your going to put him anywhere put him along side Kovalev or Koivu. Someone who is a leader and can mold the player into playing in the big league. Like Saku did for Ribeiro,Ryder and Higgins.

If you believe puttin him on the 2nd line hurts Kostisyn which line do you think he should be playing?

Why do you believe we are minimizing Kostitsyn's potential by putting him on the second line?

I think if your going to put him anywhere put him along side Kovalev or Koivu. Someone who is a leader and can mold the player into playing in the big league. Like Saku did for Ribeiro,Ryder and Higgins.

If you believe puttin him on the 2nd line hurts Kostisyn which line do you think he should be playing?

Read my entire post. It's not the second line that's the problem, it's that we seem to expect him to become a defensive paragon on top of being on the second line, and also that the second line changes from game to game. We've had Smolinski, Latendresse, and Kostitsyn on the wing, and Grabovski and Plekanec at centre. Kostitsyn has also spent one game on the third line with Grabs and Tom Kostopoulos. Can we get some consistency for our young players instead of playing Belarussian roulette?

Guest xe_liam88

I really dont understand why people are ripping carbo(on other boards that wont let me post) about scratching Kosty tonight. :wacko:

I think Kosty has taken his spot for grantide this year, hopefully a game in the box will put a fire under him like he had last year, 1 goal for a "offensive" player is a little weak, but I am still opptomistic.

I am glad som habs world posters arent habs coaches, it would be a dissaster.

Have you checked the latest stats . The ENTIRE team has trouble scoring not just Kostitsyn. And he's not going to score from the bench

But the rest of the team is generating chances. Kostitsyn simply needs to pick it up. He'll be back in the next game. It's part of growing up. :P

Guest Miltie01

He was not sat for a lack of production, if that were the case they could sit 90% of the team.

It is the effort, Carbonneau wants more. It is the mistakes, Carbonneau wants less.

He will be back in the line up, and he will be ready. He is a good player.

Guest overlords
He was not sat for a lack of production, if that were the case they could sit 90% of the team.

It is the effort, Carbonneau wants more. It is the mistakes, Carbonneau wants less.

He will be back in the line up, and he will be ready. He is a good player.

If he's looking at lack of effort, why has latendresse been rewarded with being on the second line? Sure he put some guys down tonight but we're a team in need of scoring. Kosty go darting into the offensive zone everynight just to get clobbered because no one stands up for our players. He scored his first goal before lats and lats' was a luckshot and everyone knows it :P. I like lats a lot but I'm hoping this is just a ploy to shock kosty into wanting to give more.

Guest Miltie01
If he's looking at lack of effort, why has latendresse been rewarded with being on the second line? Sure he put some guys down tonight but we're a team in need of scoring. Kosty go darting into the offensive zone everynight just to get clobbered because no one stands up for our players. He scored his first goal before lats and lats' was a luckshot and everyone knows it :P. I like lats a lot but I'm hoping this is just a ploy to shock kosty into wanting to give more.

His efforts have not been good the last couple of games, so he sat.

Just like Lats, just like Begin, just like anyone else.

Just like Lats, just like Begin, just like anyone else, he will be put back into the line up.

And just like Lats, just like Begin, just like anyone else I am sure he will not disappoint.

You will see this alot this season, better get used to it.

I think he should be back in the lineup in favor of Latendresse. Lats didnt play too well and depends too much on his linemates rather than creating his own chances. I think Kostitsyn should replace him on the wing next game.

Guest Godfather
Read my entire post. It's not the second line that's the problem, it's that we seem to expect him to become a defensive paragon on top of being on the second line, and also that the second line changes from game to game. We've had Smolinski, Latendresse, and Kostitsyn on the wing, and Grabovski and Plekanec at centre. Kostitsyn has also spent one game on the third line with Grabs and Tom Kostopoulos. Can we get some consistency for our young players instead of playing Belarussian roulette?

lol nice pun!

I see what your saying man but they are young and they have to adapt, yes he's an offensive forward but in hockey your not always playing offence even if you are a forward. If the other team has the puck you are playing defence and i think he's gonna get better for it the sooner he learns the system, no matter who he plays with. I do think we need set lines but carbo is gonna keep playing "belarussian roulette" untill he gets results; however i do not agree that he it's the right thing that he's doing i agree we should have set lines and just stick with it and let the chemistry build but you know what they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so maybe it's good that he's movin the young guys around because he dont have any other choice.

Guest caperns
But the rest of the team is generating chances. Kostitsyn simply needs to pick it up. He'll be back in the next game. It's part of growing up. :P

I could not disagree more with you JL.

He is forth on the team in shots on net 16

And 15th on the team in average icetime.

The only players creating more are Higgens, Pleks and Ryder. And we all know they also get prime time power play.

Guest Godfather

The only players creating more are Higgens, Pleks and Ryder. And we all know they also get prime time power play.

You both are right Kost was put on this team to generate the chances i love the fact that he's steppin up and shooting but like higgins they just unlucky at findin the back of then net but when they do the goals will come in bunches. Im happy with the way he's playin especially for a rookie.

Let's not confuse shots on goal and scoring chances here. The Kostitsyn that we're seeing this year is not the same one we saw after he was last called up last year. Now I'm not putting all of the blame on him, as last season he was forming a line with Plekanec and Higgins and I'd like to see that line reunited. He seems more comfortable playing on the off-wing, but so does Kovalev and we already have Ryder on the right side. This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see Kovalev traded as Kostitsyn can, in my opinion, do the work on the second line.

As for being benched periodically, it will happen with our young guys. Guy Lafleur spent 3 years on the bench before he finally became the player we all recognize.

Guest caperns
Let's not confuse shots on goal and scoring chances here. The Kostitsyn that we're seeing this year is not the same one we saw after he was last called up last year. Now I'm not putting all of the blame on him, as last season he was forming a line with Plekanec and Higgins and I'd like to see that line reunited. He seems more comfortable playing on the off-wing, but so does Kovalev and we already have Ryder on the right side. This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see Kovalev traded as Kostitsyn can, in my opinion, do the work on the second line.

As for being benched periodically, it will happen with our young guys. Guy Lafleur spent 3 years on the bench before he finally became the player we all recognize.

I think you are wrong, the Kostitsyn we did see at the beginning was the one we seen. But after the lines began to change after the 3 game and then seeing Latendresse taking kots shift in the third period in our third or fouth game into the season when Latendresse had been invisible up to that point made no sense.

And please Jl don't make shots count when you are trying to defend an argument and make it insignificant when not.... I have seen a number of post by you this season indicating that we are doing alot better as a team and a good indicator is that we are outshooting teams most nights unlike other years. Yet when I stated that Kots has 4th most shots on the team even getting 4 or 5 minutes less then most that is an insignicant number...I think he is being under used, players with talent need icetime...look around the league at the young players who are succeeding.

Any time you shoot it on net you have a chance. For every shot Kots gets I know were in the offensive end and not ours. For me that is a scoring chance. That is all I need to know.

I think you are wrong, the Kostitsyn we did see at the beginning was the one we seen. But after the lines began to change after the 3 game and then seeing Latendresse taking kots shift in the third period in our third or fouth game into the season when Latendresse had been invisible up to that point made no sense.

And please Jl don't make shots count when you are trying to defend an argument and make it insignificant when not.... I have seen a number of post by you this season indicating that we are doing alot better as a team and a good indicator is that we are outshooting teams most nights unlike other years. Yet when I stated that Kots has 4th most shots on the team even getting 4 or 5 minutes less then most that is an insignicant number...I think he is being under used, players with talent need icetime...look around the league at the young players who are succeeding.

Any time you shoot it on net you have a chance. For every shot Kots gets I know were in the offensive end and not ours. For me that is a scoring chance. That is all I need to know.

Again, I think you're mixing the issues here. As a team, when you shoot more, it means more puck control and the shots against are a crucial part of winning games. Two separate issues.

I don't think I'm wrong like you don't think you're wrong on Kostitsyn's performance so far this season. ;) If he was performing that well, he'd be in the line-up, it's that simple.

i'd like to see him in the lineup sooner rather than later. i think more minutes are going to make the difference, personally. he hasn't exactly been a liability and i think he's shown he can play. the points aren't there, fine, but i love watching him scare the opposition into taking stupid penalties.

i'm not against icing with a winning lineup, but i'd like to see him play sooner rather than later.

Guest Bobineau

Another disapointing first rounder, just like Perezhogin, Andrei has great technical abilities but seems to be lacking hockey sense or offensive awareness. His AHL numbers weren't very impressive so why should we expect better numbers at the NHL level?

His lack of effort is also not helping his cause.

Guest habinto
Another disapointing first rounder, just like Perezhogin, Andrei has great technical abilities but seems to be lacking hockey sense or offensive awareness. His AHL numbers weren't very impressive so why should we expect better numbers at the NHL level?

We should give up on him!!! Trade him for a 7th round pick while he still has value.

Na i loved perezhogan, and i like this guy aswell, hopefull the coaching staff doesnt give up on this guy as they did with perez, and he can continue to develop and have a great future with us

couldn't disagree more.

Na i loved perezhogan, and i like this guy aswell, hopefull the coaching staff doesnt give up on this guy as they did with perez, and he can continue to develop and have a great future with us

couldn't agree more.

I cant believe he's benched tonite again!

Didnt we learn from Perezhogin, why arent our rookies with REAL talent playing with our top man Koivu, am I the only one who sees this, I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

I still say he should play in favor of Lats because Lats played Horrible last game! I dont care what anyone says, he slowed down the line completly and lost the puck everytime it was on his stick!!

I seriously feel like im taking crazy pills, it's impossible that our rookies never develope and you look at other teams like San Jose, Pittsburgh, Colorado all their rookies are tearing it up!

Can we please just get rid of Kostitsyn before we ruin another players career

Guest Bobineau

Nobody gave up on Perezhogin, he left for Russia.

couldn't disagree more.

How so? It's a fairly objective assesment of Kostitsyn.

Archived