The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn Administration

GIJAYNE

Yup..I think so. Maybe as of March 1st?

el general approves!

we can even run a poll thread to see what to name them this year(make things a little more interactive!)

-Matt

el general approves!

we can even run a poll thread to see what to name them this year(make things a little more interactive!)

-Matt

Good idea. Want to spear head that one? I would recommend beginning sooner rather than later...also to make sure users in other areas of the forum come in for the vote.

Good idea. Want to spear head that one? I would recommend beginning sooner rather than later...also to make sure users in other areas of the forum come in for the vote.

im on it! captain! ;)

im on it! captain! ;)

These polls, in my humble and useless opinion, would be a great way to introduce new members to the MN-zone.

With the new sub-forum, the organization levels have skyh rocketed in here, and has made things far easier to follow.

However the other side of the coin is that our exposure levels have dropped. A new member in the forum is less likely now to stumble in an active sub-forum, than they would be to check out the thread that lurks at the top of the list at all day long.

Polls such as this, and the prediction and jeopardy games are a great way to extend visibility by letting users know to look in here.

I suggest we remain vigilant in letting users know to come in and vote whenever the opportunity permits without it turning into spam.

Guest hatethoseleafs

I see by the number of recorded ""views"" that the sticky threads are having the desired effect. I particularly like the numbers under the MN explanation thread. It clearly shows that a lot of people didnt know how it worked. ;)

I was thinking perhaps we can ask the MN-Artist to get some graphics for us as the names come in. Graphs and images to match the demise of the teams we're counting down for. Now I'm just getting silly :P
I like the idea. It added a little zing when we did it last year. :D

Guest hatethoseleafs

I also meant to ask if you had any further plans ( or use) for the MN blog Dags???Are we still going to promote it within our sigs or does this new sub forum now meet all our needs??

I also meant to ask if you had any further plans ( or use) for the MN blog Dags???Are we still going to promote it within our sigs or does this new sub forum now meet all our needs??

I still update it on a regular basis. I've noticed there is a small crowd beginning to form around the blog itself. I think its people who have stumbled upon the site through "Blogspot" or googling.

I see by the number of recorded ""views"" that the sticky threads are having the desired effect. I particularly like the numbers under the MN explanation thread. It clearly shows that a lot of people didnt know how it worked. ;)I like the idea. It added a little zing when we did it last year. :D

yups!

zing is always good!

plus lets face it, the MN is what it is because people jump in and throw there two cents without being shot to unrecognisable shlumps!

we need it and much as it needs us!

w00t!

Just had this brainwave while thinking about the mini-Stanley Cup. We currently have two games running: MN Jeopardy & MN Predictions. Furthermore we will have a playoff event for the Predictions game.

Here's what I suggest we do. We ask the MN Artist to create three mini banners (like the MN ones we sport below our sigs) depicting a Stanley cup (to be handed out to the winner of the playoffs), a president's cup (the user who finishes atop the Predictions leaderboard) and the heart trophy (or any other trophy for the user who finishes atop the Jeopardy leaderboard).

These user than should have the right to sport these mini banners (with the permission of the moderating team of course) for the following year, until a new winner is awarded. Huh?! Huh?! Huh?! :D

Just had this brainwave while thinking about the mini-Stanley Cup. We currently have two games running: MN Jeopardy & MN Predictions. Furthermore we will have a playoff event for the Predictions game.

Here's what I suggest we do. We ask the MN Artist to create three mini banners (like the MN ones we sport below our sigs) depicting a Stanley cup (to be handed out to the winner of the playoffs), a president's cup (the user who finishes atop the Predictions leaderboard) and the heart trophy (or any other trophy for the user who finishes atop the Jeopardy leaderboard).

These user than should have the right to sport these mini banners (with the permission of the moderating team of course) for the following year, until a new winner is awarded. Huh?! Huh?! Huh?! :D

Good ideas all around Numero Uno :)

Guest Cenner Hice

A great brainwave. B)

I can feel it over here. :D

I have been having a small, but growing, brain ripple. Maybe it will become a brain wave on the shelf of life. It goes thus:

After suggesting a small item in my collection as a trophy last year to HLD, he sagely pointed out that it could be foolhardy so to do (had something to do with puck, autograph and flower). That, however, got me a thinkin'. So I took myself to the store where Hockey's Holy Grail was bought by a minion of Lord Stanley of Preston (This particular store being in Regent's Street in London and not far from my office at the time (on Haymarket). Lord Stanley's London office had been in Portland Place which is at the top end of Regent's Street (and prior to working in the office on Haymarket, I had a Portland Place address (1b for those who care)).

Anywhoo: The store in question (now Boodle & Dunthorne) only do jewellery now... and it's all on the Aston Martin/Learjet side of expensive. So no trophy from there, I fear.

Nevertheless, I have not given up on the idea. My second though (and the one I'm currently favouring) is to get a friend of mine to get himself to Preston (not far for him) and purchase a small and inexpensive trophy (maybe cup shaped?) which I would mount on a wooden plinth. This could become the Stonely Cup and be awarded to the top predictor of the season (who, if I can be bothered to do it, would get their name carved on a lump of wood I have set aside for the purpose - it comes from the apple tree in my garden and has been perfectly seasoned). The name for the cup could be opened to debate. However, those of you who know the name I was given at birth might appreciate why I have suggested "Stonely Cup"

A great brainwave. B)

I can feel it over here. :D

I have been having a small, but growing, brain ripple. Maybe it will become a brain wave on the shelf of life. It goes thus:

After suggesting a small item in my collection as a trophy last year to HLD, he sagely pointed out that it could be foolhardy so to do (had something to do with puck, autograph and flower). That, however, got me a thinkin'. So I took myself to the store where Hockey's Holy Grail was bought by a minion of Lord Stanley of Preston (This particular store being in Regent's Street in London and not far from my office at the time (on Haymarket). Lord Stanley's London office had been in Portland Place which is at the top end of Regent's Street (and prior to working in the office on Haymarket, I had a Portland Place address (1b for those who care)).

Anywhoo: The store in question (now Boodle & Dunthorne) only do jewellery now... and it's all on the Aston Martin/Learjet side of expensive. So no trophy from there, I fear.

Nevertheless, I have not given up on the idea. My second though (and the one I'm currently favouring) is to get a friend of mine to get himself to Preston (not far for him) and purchase a small and inexpensive trophy (maybe cup shaped?) which I would mount on a wooden plinth. This could become the Stonely Cup and be awarded to the top predictor of the season (who, if I can be bothered to do it, would get their name carved on a lump of wood I have set aside for the purpose - it comes from the apple tree in my garden and has been perfectly seasoned). The name for the cup could be opened to debate. However, those of you who know the name I was given at birth might appreciate why I have suggested "Stonely Cup"

Virtual cups are easy...low cost and low effort. If you want to get in to hardware however, there will be costs, shipping costs and all sorts of logistics involved. I f you would like to take it upon your self to do all of that, I have no problem with it. However to clarify, such a cup should be given to the winner of the playoffs no? Not the one who finishes atop the leaderboard...

Guest Cenner Hice
Virtual cups are easy...low cost and low effort. If you want to get in to hardware however, there will be costs, shipping costs and all sorts of logistics involved. I f you would like to take it upon your self to do all of that, I have no problem with it. However to clarify, such a cup should be given to the winner of the playoffs no? Not the one who finishes atop the leaderboard...

I can't lift my computer screen above my head, though. :(

Totally understand the virtual cup idea (and banners etc.). I wasn't thinking of sending the cup to anyone (or carrying it around the world from winner to winner [though that's an idea that could get me back to Mtl]). I was contemplating being the Keeper of the Cup (until I relinquish my duties) and holding it in my Habs memorabilia Hall of Fame.

Maybe a president's cup equivalent, then? And a lump of lumber for the playoffs winner? Or they could have a leaf from the apple tree? What am I thinking... A leaf??? Pfleugghhh!!!

;)

i like the idea, hoping to see what our MN artist comes up with!

HHH!?!

Guest hip_hip_huet

I'd be glad to help out! If you want me to simply take the template we have already, I can easily add the trophies in, but I was thinking of preparing something a little more grandiose. I have a break coming up in the first week of March, so that would be a perfect time to get it done. I'll see if I can get creative again.

I was also thinking of making some avatars. I've noticed a lot of people in the boards who don't actually have any, and it might be cool to be able to sport MN Champion in an avatar... Everybody could choose a player they like - dunno, just leaving some ideas.

If you have any suggestions on what these new banners could look like, I'd love to hear, it might help give me that inspirational spark.

I'd be glad to help out! If you want me to simply take the template we have already, I can easily add the trophies in, but I was thinking of preparing something a little more grandiose. I have a break coming up in the first week of March, so that would be a perfect time to get it done. I'll see if I can get creative again.

I was also thinking of making some avatars. I've noticed a lot of people in the boards who don't actually have any, and it might be cool to be able to sport MN Champion in an avatar... Everybody could choose a player they like - dunno, just leaving some ideas.

If you have any suggestions on what these new banners could look like, I'd love to hear, it might help give me that inspirational spark.

actually! i really like that avatar idea!

it would be original and something different instead of clogging up the sig space.

run with it man!!!

You seem to have the creativity thing under control as it is ;)

Guest hatethoseleafs

One more idea to consider about the playoff round,,,,,,instead of picking the number of goals scored as a tie breaker,,,,, we could pick either odd or even number of goals scored for each game,,, with the higher ranked predicter getting to choose first. For example.....if i were against CH and he was the higher ranked player ( which he will be ;) ) and he selects even on the game,,,,then he would win a tie breaker should the total goals scored during the game be an even number. Sounds simpler right?? :blink:

One more idea to consider about the playoff round,,,,,,instead of picking the number of goals scored as a tie breaker,,,,, we could pick either odd or even number of goals scored for each game,,, with the higher ranked predicter getting to choose first. For example.....if i were against CH and he was the higher ranked player ( which he will be ;) ) and he selects even on the game,,,,then he would win a tie breaker should the total goals scored during the game be an even number. Sounds simpler right?? :blink:

total goals by the winning team would make sense

because total goals would always be odd. :lol:

Guest hatethoseleafs

Game could end 2 to 0, or 4 to 2, or 3 to 1 ect... which would be even numbers Mat. ;)

Guest Cenner Hice

Sounds simpler... with one "however": Waiting for a higher ranked player to predict first could prove mildly problematic (and for me, a bit more so). Some folk don't post until quite late in the day. Others of us post fairly early. Some only visit once during the day. Others are here all the time. Unless the specific circumstances you outline above arose (and thank you for the boost to my ego - though the opposite is the current status ;) ), I, for example, might have to wait until midnight local time for my opponent to predict. Or people would be checking back every so often to see if their opponent has predicted.

Also, I'd have to add up the total number of goals in a game and then work out if the number is odd or even... :blink: I've only just worked out how to add up (and still have problems if the number goes over 10 as I run out of fingers and thumbs and need to use Hice Jr's toes - which are usually wiggling about a bit. I used to use the cats' tails but then had trouble catching and holding them and, again, had issues with any total over 12)

Game could end 2 to 0, or 4 to 2, or 3 to 1 ect... which would be even numbers Mat. ;)

Engineers always add in that safety factor, which makes everything odd. :D

Archived