The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn Administration

GIJAYNE

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys and gals,,,,who's gonna open up the new threads. CH ,,,Choc,,, are you guys gonna start them or are you waiting on somebody to do it?? I'm ready to start posting predictions and doing a little wooting in the MN thread. :lol:

We could use a little more housecleaning by a Mod if possible.

In the sticky threads above,,,,,can we please delete the first thread, called ....

""Magic Number Scoreboard & Net Loss Standings Habs_Lovin'_Dag"""

Its no longer relevent to this season ( ancient numbers not being maintained) and only serves as confusion for new people looking in.Thanks. ;)

We could use a little more housecleaning by a Mod if possible.

In the sticky threads above,,,,,can we please delete the first thread, called ....

""Magic Number Scoreboard & Net Loss Standings Habs_Lovin'_Dag"""

Its no longer relevent to this season ( ancient numbers not being maintained) and only serves as confusion for new people looking in.Thanks. ;)

Done!

I just have one more peice of business before we start the new season.

I feel the existing sticky thread explaining the MN is also a little outdated, and to be honest,,,a little complicated to understand by newbies. I would be willing to write a new (somewhat dummied up) and cleaner version to replace it if nobody minds. My question is,,,,whats the best way to proceed??? Do i start a new thread and ask a mod to sticky and replace the old one or,,,do i request they unlock the old one temporarily until i can post a revised version there??

My preference would be a new thread,, as it would then be the first and only post in there,, thus keeping it simple.

How do you guys feel??

I just have one more peice of business before we start the new season.

I feel the existing sticky thread explaining the MN is also a little outdated, and to be honest,,,a little complicated to understand by newbies. I would be willing to write a new (somewhat dummied up) and cleaner version to replace it if nobody minds. My question is,,,,whats the best way to proceed??? Do i start a new thread and ask a mod to sticky and replace the old one or,,,do i request they unlock the old one temporarily until i can post a revised version there??

My preference would be a new thread,, as it would then be the first and only post in there,, thus keeping it simple.

How do you guys feel??

GO HTL GO!!!

Here's the new post i had in mind....

WHAT IS THE MN ( MAGIC NUMBER)

The MN is a mathematical calculation of how many points are required by the Habs to be GUARANTEED a playoff position.

HOW DOES IT WORK

The starting number is 165. This number is based on 82 games at 2 points each for a total of 164. We must add another point as the tie breaker thus totaling 165.

This number is reduced by 2 points for every regulation, overtime or shootout VICTORY by the Habs.

Its reduced by 1 point for every overtime or shootout loss by the Habs ( considered a TIE).

The number can also be reduced by what we call BONUS POINTS.

This occurs whenever the team(s) in 9th place losses points ( 2 for regulation loss and 1 for OT or SO loss)

NOTE: not all teams will have played an equal amount of games on any given point of the season therefore calculations are bassed on net losses.

OTHER MN NUMBERS

MN EPD ( Estimated Party Date :D )NUMBER

This number is a prediction of when the MN will hit 0 based on current pace of points accumulated to date,,, and the maintaining of that pace going forward.

MN HOME, DIVISION & CONFERENCE NUMBERS

Same principle is applied as the regular MN number. When these numbers hit 0 then we have clinched that honour.

MN T.O. NO GO NUMBER

A different twist to this number. When it reaches 0 then the LEAFS are officially ELIMINATED from the playoffs.

Other NO GO numbers will be added later on in the season when playoff races develop.

The MN is a mathematical calculation of how many points are required by the Habs to be GUARANTEED a playoff position.

HOW DOES IT WORK

The starting number is 165. This number is based on 82 games at 2 points each for a total of 164. We must add another point as the tie breaker thus totaling 165.

This number is reduced by 2 points for every regulation, overtime or shootout VICTORY by the Habs.

Its reduced by 1 point for every overtime or shootout loss by the Habs ( considered a TIE).

This occurs whenever the team(s) in 9th place losses points ( 2 for regulation loss and 1 for OT or SO loss)

NOTE: not all teams will have played an equal amount of games on any given point of the season therefore calculations are bassed on net losses.

OTHER MN NUMBERS

This number is a prediction of when the MN will hit 0 based on current pace of points accumulated to date,,, and the maintaining of that pace going forward.

Same principle is applied as the regular MN number. When these numbers hit 0 then we have clinched that honour.

MN T.O. NO GO NUMBER

A different twist to this number. When it reaches 0 then the LEAFS are officially ELIMINATED from the playoffs.

Other NO GO numbers will be added later on in the season when playoff races develop.

+1 Neat and easy for even Smiegel to understand :)

HOW DOES IT WORK

These occur whenever the team(s) in 9th place loses points ( 2 for regulation loss and 1 for OT or SO loss) whether or not the Habs are playing on that day.

OTHER MN NUMBERS

MN T.O. NO GO NUMBER

Looks great, though I've added a suggested bit (in blue) to the above. Don't know if that helps or confuses?

Thanks HHN. That 1 vote for ( or do i count you as 3 :lol:)

+1. Count me as well. Even chocolate understands and likes it. I will try hard to come up with usual tables tonight. If not, I will do it for sure during weekend.

One question - As far as I understand last week discussion we will have only one main MN thread. It will be used for all discussions and numbers around MN. I guess, this is the one, "Habs Magic Number For 09/10 Season", that you started yesterday. Then it is not just chocolate's office. It is everybody's who comes here.

BTW Lets use your signature as an official MN countdown, where everybody can look and see the current MN value.

Looks great, though I've added a suggested bit (in blue) to the above. Don't know if that helps or confuses?

That suggestion is a go for me CH. Anybody else have some input,, feel free before i go see a Mod??

+1. Count me as well. Even chocolate understands and likes it. I will try hard to come up with usual tables tonight. If not, I will do it for sure during weekend.

One question - As far as I understand last week discussion we will have only one main MN thread. It will be used for all discussions and numbers around MN. I guess, this is the one, "Habs Magic Number For 09/10 Season", that you started yesterday. Then it is not just chocolate's office. It is everybody's who comes here.

BTW Lets use your signature as an official MN countdown, where everybody can look and see the current MN value.

You sir are correct about the one thread idea that we decided on. The choc's office was just a little recognition for your labours but for sure its everybody's thread.

As for my sig,,,,i'll update it as quick as i can daily. I thought it would serve as a good promotional idea for the MN thread but i wont be offended if others choose to use it,,, or something similar. So feel free anybody. ;)

Archived