Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest QbGamer

Habs Cap Space (2008-2009)

143 posts in this topic

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL

We have currently spent 31.822 towards the cap

Forwards

Koivu 4.750

Kovy 4.500

Higgins 1.900

Pleks 1.800

Begin 1.300

Kosot 0.900

Latendress 0.850

S. Kost 0.550

Chips 0.860

UFA

Ryder 2.95

Smolinski 2.00

RFA

A kostitsyn 0.612

Grabs 0.700

Lapierre 0.563

Defensemen

Markov 5.750

Hammer 5.500

Bouillion 1.875

Dandy 1.750

Komi 1.900

UFA

Breezer 0.700

Streit 0.600

RFA

Georges 0.495

O'Bryne 0.590

Goalies

Price 0.850

RFA

Halak .500

Buyouts 2 players,

(Question, since we have soo much room under the cap, can we use what we owe next year in the buyouts for this years cap)

Anyways it looks like we will have plenty of room to sign a UFA in the offseason

31.82 million is spent so I would sign:

Ryder 2m

A.Kostitsyn 2.75m

Grabovski 900k

Lapierre 900k

Streit 2.75m

Obyrne 800k

Gorges 750k

Halak 750k

that equals 31.82+11.6=43.42mil.

We could either sign a guy like Hossa for 7-7.5m or sign a few decent UFR.

Great info, Gamer. I think we should sign all our RFA's, and put whatever is left towards one big free agent. I would think we'll have at least 8-10 millions left over, so as long as we can get someone to come here, we will have the money to pay them. Overall, however, I'd feel completely confident heading into next season with just our signed assets and RFA's.

Great info, Gamer. I think we should sign all our RFA's, and put whatever is left towards one big free agent. I would think we'll have at least 8-10 millions left over, so as long as we can get someone to come here, we will have the money to pay them. Overall, however, I'd feel completely confident heading into next season with just our signed assets and RFA's.

10 mil with all of the RFAs sign is ideal,then we could sign Hossa and a top 4 D-man like Hainsey for example.

Anyways it looks like we will have plenty of room to sign a UFA in the offseason

We've had plenty of room the past two seasons and were never able to land a marquee player

Thanks for that info, I was thinking about that earlier today!

should be an interesting off season...

all of the RFAs need to be resigned...bob better watch out about a rediculous offer sheet for someone like Andre or even O'Byrne

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL

We have currently spent 31.822 towards the cap

Forwards

Koivu 4.750

Kovy 4.500

Higgins 1.900

Pleks 1.800

Begin 1.300

Kosot 0.900

Latendress 0.850

S. Kost 0.550

Chips 0.860

UFA

Ryder 2.95

Smolinski 2.00

RFA

A kostitsyn 0.612

Grabs 0.700

Lapierre 0.563

Defensemen

Markov 5.750

Hammer 5.500

Bouillion 1.875

Dandy 1.750

Komi 1.900

UFA

Breezer 0.700

Streit 0.600

RFA

Georges 0.495

O'Bryne 0.590

Goalies

Price 0.850

RFA

Halak .500

Buyouts 2 players,

(Question, since we have soo much room under the cap, can we use what we owe next year in the buyouts for this years cap)

your numbers are off... they don't take into account the bonuses which affect the cap hit... this is a better source: http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/montreal.htm

regardless, you CANNOT spend right up to the cap... what happens if you suffer an injury? how would you pay the replacement you call-up?...

A. kosty 2 years at 1.9 (follows our other prospects like komi, pleks, higgins)

Ryder - 1.8-2 mil 1-2 years

Grabovski - 850k - 1 year

Lapierre 900k - 3 years

Streit 2.5 mil - 2 years

Obyrne 850k - 2 years

Gorges 900k - 3 years

Halak 900k - 2 years

that's 10.8 mil

31.82 + 10.8 = 42.62 which leaves about 10 million dollars for another top 6 forward, d-man and maybe enforcer.

I would also trade dandenault for a 7th round pick which drops our cap spent by 1.8.

maybe bring over emelin for 2 million?

We've had plenty of room the past two seasons and were never able to land a marquee player
Better UFA season this coming summer, for forwards anyway, IMHO. NYR was overpaying (again) for Gomez and Drury. Briere? He's about to pass out Richards (now that Richards is in Dallas) for worst +/- in the league; currently at -24. He'll hit -30 before the season is done. He's got 55 points for crying out loud! Just how many goals against is he on the ice for? Must spend his whole shift at the opposing team's blueline! :D No thanks!
maybe bring over emelin for 2 million?
Does anyone know how Emelin as a prospect works? I understand he still has a year on his Russian contract, and there still is no transfer agreement? Does he have to "defect" to come for next year?

i would do contract extentions asap on some of those players and not go to rfa this summer as we will lose halak i believe some other team will offer him mroe then what montreal will id extend contracts to avoid this mess like burke and lowe

Defencemen

Markov (signed)

Hamrlik (signed)

Bouillon

Dandenault

Komisarek ( extension please)

Streit (extension)

Gorges (extension)

I think the big question will be should Ryder be resigned, and if so, for how much and how long.

10 mil with all of the RFAs sign is ideal,then we could sign Hossa and a top 4 D-man like Hainsey for example.

Just a thought Rob, I think we have a top four guy in the making right here at home base. I'm really liking the poise, size, and the play of young Ryan O'Byrne. Slap a big # 8 on him, and at a quick glance you might think he was Komi.

He's not Komi yet ......., but I'm becoming more & more impressed with this guy....

Ah, but Rege, what with all those contracts that have been given out over the last couple of years - there are a lot less teams that can legitimately be in the running.

We are better positioned than ever, and I think that players around the league are aware that we are an up and coming team. Not to mention, (I guess I am) that the Canadiens are known to have a very classy operation.

Better UFA season this coming summer, for forwards anyway, IMHO. NYR was overpaying (again) for Gomez and Drury. Briere? He's about to pass out Richards (now that Richards is in Dallas) for worst +/- in the league; currently at -24. He'll hit -30 before the season is done. He's got 55 points for crying out loud! Just how many goals against is he on the ice for? Must spend his whole shift at the opposing team's blueline! :D No thanks!Does anyone know how Emelin as a prospect works? I understand he still has a year on his Russian contract, and there still is no transfer agreement? Does he have to "defect" to come for next year?

I believe you can give two weeks notice in Russia to get out of your contract but I don't thinks it's as easy as that. Malkin kind of defected last year, he walked away from his contract of which he had one year left on. I don't know what kind of compensation Pittsburgh ended up paying out if it was any at all.

So either he walks away from his contract with AK Bars or we lose his right June 1, 2008 and he will re-enter the draft.

I agree we should have plenty of $ to make some moves in the offseason, With the 2nd round pick we picked up from trading Huet, we also have more trading options avaiable to us.

I dont think we should spend 10 million on 1 player, as that could bea huge bust, but looking @ 1 5 million dollar guy + someone for 2-3 would be great

I agree we should have plenty of $ to make some moves in the offseason, With the 2nd round pick we picked up from trading Huet, we also have more trading options avaiable to us.

I dont think we should spend 10 million on 1 player, as that could bea huge bust, but looking @ 1 5 million dollar guy + someone for 2-3 would be great

Wise thoughts, wise indeed. A 10 million dollar man isn't much good to you - when he has to play with 10 dollar men.

The only guys in this league that warrant that kind of money are Ovie, Sid and Kovalchuk. These guys are guaranteed not to bust and deserve all the money they can get. Now before a few of you get into the logic that it's too much money just to play a game, just think of what kind of revenue these guys are generating for their respective team and for the NHL.

The only guys in this league that warrant that kind of money are Ovie, Sid and Kovalchuk. These guys are guaranteed not to bust and deserve all the money they can get. Now before a few of you get into the logic that it's too much money just to play a game, just think of what kind of revenue these guys are generating for their respective team and for the NHL.
ahhh, I think the more important number to consider is how much more revenue these players are generating for their team than some other player... if you already sell out every game, like Montreal and Toronto, having a top draw isn't helping your attendance at home... you'd still want those players for what they do on the ice, but what they do for the box office is neglible...

Assumption that the team salary cap will increase by $2 million therefore the new team salary cap will be $52.3 million.

I would like BG to sign a few younger players to long term deals but odds are that BG will wait until the last minute to make the deal as long term deals greatly tie a GMs hands when it comes to signing and trading players.

Current roster assumptions: Brisebois and Smoke will not return next season to Montreal. Saving $3.4 million of cap space.

I will also assume that Ryder and Streit (both are UFA) will re-sign for at least one more season. My assumption is that Ryder will get $2 million per season and Streit will get $2.5 million.

I will also assume that all current RFA players will remain with Montreal next season. Halak will get $1.5 million, O'Bryne $1.25, Gorges $1.25, A. Kostitsyn $3.5, Grabs $1, Lapierre $1.2

My projected 23 man roster for next year

Koivu $4.750

Kovalev $4.5

Ryder $2

Higgins $1.7

Pleks $1.6

Begin $1.057

Kostopolous $.895

Lats $.85

A. Kostitsyn $3.5

S. Kostitsyn $.55

Chips $.86

Grabs $1

Lapierre $1.2

Streit $2.5

Dandenault $1.725

15 forwards

Markov $5.75

Komi $1.7

Hammer $5.5

Gorges $1.25

Bouillon $1.875

O'Bryne $1.25

6 defenceman

Price $2.2

Halak $1.5

2 goalies

23 players. Total payroll $49.71 million.

I guess the trick is to get a few of the RFA for less salary then my guess (especially Kostitsyn) and pay less for UFA players. However, salary cap is very important over a long season therefore I believe that Bouillon, Dandenault, Begin could be with a different team next year making room for lower cost rookies. Long term goal is to sign Komi and Pleks long term. In order to do this BG needs more cap space or cheaper roster players. It is quite possible that UFA Streit and Ryder will not be back next season with Montreal however someone will need to take their roster spot costing on average $.75 per rookie like Valentenko or Locke or White or Subban or someone else. It would be nice to have $5, $7, $10 or $12 million to go after one or two high end UFA players however the numbers do not seem to add up for this to occur UNLESS the salary cap increases by more then $2 million per team.

Assumption that the team salary cap will increase by $2 million therefore the new team salary cap will be $52.3 million.

I would like BG to sign a few younger players to long term deals but odds are that BG will wait until the last minute to make the deal as long term deals greatly tie a GMs hands when it comes to signing and trading players.

Current roster assumptions: Brisebois and Smoke will not return next season to Montreal. Saving $3.4 million of cap space.

I will also assume that Ryder and Streit (both are UFA) will re-sign for at least one more season. My assumption is that Ryder will get $2 million per season and Streit will get $2.5 million.

I will also assume that all current RFA players will remain with Montreal next season. Halak will get $1.5 million, O'Bryne $1.25, Gorges $1.25, A. Kostitsyn $3.5, Grabs $1, Lapierre $1.2

My projected 23 man roster for next year

Koivu $4.750

Kovalev $4.5

Ryder $2

Higgins $1.7

Pleks $1.6

Begin $1.057

Kostopolous $.895

Lats $.85

A. Kostitsyn $3.5

S. Kostitsyn $.55

Chips $.86

Grabs $1

Lapierre $1.2

Streit $2.5

Dandenault $1.725

15 forwards

Markov $5.75

Komi $1.7

Hammer $5.5

Gorges $1.25

Bouillon $1.875

O'Bryne $1.25

6 defenceman

Price $2.2

Halak $1.5

2 goalies

23 players. Total payroll $49.71 million.

I guess the trick is to get a few of the RFA for less salary then my guess (especially Kostitsyn) and pay less for UFA players. However, salary cap is very important over a long season therefore I believe that Bouillon, Dandenault, Begin could be with a different team next year making room for lower cost rookies. Long term goal is to sign Komi and Pleks long term. In order to do this BG needs more cap space or cheaper roster players. It is quite possible that UFA Streit and Ryder will not be back next season with Montreal however someone will need to take their roster spot costing on average $.75 per rookie like Valentenko or Locke or White or Subban or someone else. It would be nice to have $5, $7, $10 or $12 million to go after one or two high end UFA players however the numbers do not seem to add up for this to occur UNLESS the salary cap increases by more then $2 million per team.

how is gorges worth over 1 million dollars and are you saying that montreal won't make one move in the offseason :blink:

how is gorges worth over 1 million dollars and are you saying that montreal won't make one move in the offseason :blink:

For better or for worse players that reach RFA and UFA get paid a lot more then the first rookie contract.

Gorges is playing good solid top 6 D on a very good team. I therefore expect that he will get around $1.25 million. From a budget standpoint I would love it if he signed for $800,000 but given that Montreal pays Begin, Smoke, Brisebois (assuming bonus), and Dandenault a lot more then $1.25 million and they have have been healthy scratches for numerous games. I therefore hope that BG only has to pay $1.25 million for Gorges.

It would be really nice if Montreal went after a top player or players this UFA season. However, to keep the TEAM together the younger players will get larger salaries next year. It is nice that 99.9% chance that $3.4 million will not be tied up in Smoke and Brisebois. I did not even assume that BG would sign Komi to a long term deal. A long term deal for Komi would take up all of the estimate cap space. Our only hope at this second is that the NHL will increase the cap $5 to $7 versus the $2 million which I estimated.

Look @ What pleks + Higgins, komi signed for,

I can see bg pitching the same deal to kostitsyn

1.5 1st year 1.9 2nd year