The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How Far Will The Habs Go In The Playoffs?

jl-1

132 members have voted

1. 1. How many playoffs' rounds will we win this year?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • They'll bring home the Stanley Cup!

Guest habs_fan1160

Here's an interesting "prediction" that I was reading on NHL.com this morning.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=359711

Two of the leading crystal balls in the hockey business recently came to one conclusion that will make fans in Montreal quite pleased, at least for a short while.

The Canadiens are going to their first Stanley Cup Final since 1992-93. But they are not picked to win the grand prize.

Guest AvroArrow
Vegas has the Habs ahead of the Pens in the odds for the Cup. There's the best "consensus".
Damn right! GO HABS GO! :lol:
They will go as far as they can.Our Rocket, who art in heaven,hallowed be thy 9.Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, In The Bell, as it was in The ForumGive us this day our needed win.And forgive us our losses,as we thank those who lost against us. And lead us not into golf courses, but deliver us The Cup. For thine is the heritage, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen
*kneels and prays to St. Richard*

Guest Hoyle00cdn
"How far will the Habs go in the playoffs?"

Well, I've just come back in my little time machine (it has a 132" HD tv, beer fridge (with attachments), en-suite toilet, jacuzzi, gym and some other features I'm not allowed to mention for fear of disrupting the space-time contuinuum) to change my bets placed at the start of 2008.

I'm not going to give you the answer, but you'll be as surprised as I was. ;)

Nevertheless, the regular season was a fantastic ride for all of us, I think you'll agree. Unless you wear bleu-blanc-rouge tinted glasses, the team has gone further than any realist thought.

Enjoy the ride through the post-season. It does get a bit bumpy.

And a message to the bandwaggoners out there: stay on through thick and thin. You are currently supporting the best team in the history and future of the game.

You have a DeLorean?

Guest HABaG8Day

I guess the 1st question to answer are the Habs Hungry enought? Obivious we all like to see them make it to the final and take it, but as I stated above the Habs have to be determined and hungry and fight for it. I am hoping for them to make it to the finals.

~HABaG8Day~

Guest old-time Habs fan
Here's an interesting "prediction" that I was reading on NHL.com this morning.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=359711

Two of the leading crystal balls in the hockey business recently came to one conclusion that will make fans in Montreal quite pleased, at least for a short while.

The Canadiens are going to their first Stanley Cup Final since 1992-93. But they are not picked to win the grand prize.

Crystal balls are fragile things,

that hang from walls, or in the Wings;

while not discounting their potence,

I'd rather keep mine on the fence.

Guest Ritch15

The Eastern Conference is wide open, whatever team we play, we have the ability to beat. Against a Western Conference finalist might be the hardest, as, in my opinion, and I hate to say it, but Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim and Dallas are all stronger, better teams.

Guest olddude
Well Sportsnet has Nick Kipreos, so TSN needed someone with the same IQ... :lol:

Too funny, :lol: thanks for the laugh. All kidding aside though, while we all have lofty dreams of Lord Stanleys' Cup, I hope everyone remembers that the Habs are a very young team and while they are currently doing extremely well, it is possible that they won't make it as far as some might hope. If that is the case, they still deserve the same level of support and appreciation they are currently receiving, for what they have accomplished this season.

I'm not saying they can't win, just that it won't be easy. As long as they give it their best, they have a legitimate shot and I'll be happy with that. :D

That being said,

GO HABS GO

Guest carey31price

I am not going to jinx it by voting! The Habs will go as far as Price, Kovalev, Kostitsyn's, Pleckanec, Higgins, Striet, Markov, etc will take em :D

Guest hablover
Well Sportsnet has Nick Kipreos, so TSN needed someone with the same IQ... :lol:

Ha ha....that made my day!

But so true....Nick is such a doofus! There are only a couple people dumber than him.

Harry Neil, Pierre Mcguire, Mick Magoo, and Kerry Fraser (however you spell it), they all come to mind......

Guest feistyboy27
The Eastern Conference is wide open, whatever team we play, we have the ability to beat. Against a Western Conference finalist might be the hardest, as, in my opinion, and I hate to say it, but Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim and Dallas are all stronger, better teams.

I disagree. Only Detroit and San Jose are clearly stronger better teams perhaps right now. Anaheim is a much weaker team then last year, and Dallas are also not as potentialy strong as a couple years ago. Detroit have sagged in their later season form a bit though, not as bad as Ottawa but they have become more streaky. Most key of all about Detroit though is they have weak goaltending, either an ancient way way past his prime Hasek or Osgood. I am not sure I can see them winning the Stanley Cup with their goaltending even though the rest of their team is excellent. San Jose might be upset by Calgary and they always underachieve come playoffs. They have it all but not when it matters most sometimes. I think the Habs have a great chance vs any Western league team in the final too.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

After the way the playoffs started, it's not unreasonable to say that it can be an all Canadian final. Montreal and Calgary fighting for the cup. Calgary looked really good against San Jose last night, Iginla is a monster.

Guest olddude
After the way the playoffs started, it's not unreasonable to say that it can be an all Canadian final. Montreal and Calgary fighting for the cup. Calgary looked really good against San Jose last night, Iginla is a monster.

I agree Calgary had a good game, but the Sharks had their moments as well. I hope you're right, but I'm not ready to count the Sharks out yet. However, if Calgary wins game two, I'm with you. :D

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I agree Calgary had a good game, but the Sharks had their moments as well. I hope you're right, but I'm not ready to count the Sharks out yet. However, if Calgary wins game two, I'm with you. :D

Calgary has been known to pull big upsets so you never know. But I agree with you as well, you can't count the Sharks out.

After watching tonight's game, I have little doubt that they'll easily get rid of the Bruins. I was expecting a much better effort and competition from Boston but for whatever reason, they came out flat once again. The Bruins will be hard-pressed to win a game if they don't change something quick. So as I had predicted, win one series... for sure.

Guest vegasrick
After watching tonight's game, I have little doubt that they'll easily get rid of the Bruins. I was expecting a much better effort and competition from Boston but for whatever reason, they came out flat once again. The Bruins will be hard-pressed to win a game if they don't change something quick. So as I had predicted, win one series... for sure.

...and THEN the riot.

Guest Cooker24

They'll go three I think. Get beat out by the Pens or Caps. If the Caps and Pens dont make it to the ECF then Montreal will be in the SCF.

There's no logical reason we shouldn't win this series, hopefully this one is over in 4 or 5 games and we can focus on tougher opponents (knock on wood). Next round I'd say we will still be the favourites, but it will be a tougher series: we will most likely be playing NYR or NJD, who will have just won their series. We should be the favourites, but not by much.

Then the Eastern conference finals, in all liklihood it will be the Pens and I think we'll be very slightly underdogs, but it should be an incredible series. The Stanley Cup finals will see whoever comes out of the East as the underdog, but it is winnable.

So most likely, I'd say we could make it to third round, but anything's possible.

Guest old-time Habs fan

If they play as they are able,

all the cards are on the table;

not a second can be wasted,

lest, by some, we could be pasted.

Not on paper, but on ice,

will we pay, or earn, our Price;

if better than the best we play,

the Cup's in sight, at end of day!

ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP!!

I'm not much into games, so this thread is to discuss your predictions on how far we will go with the team that we have.

I've stated it in a few occasions so far this year, this team is not without reminding me of the Ottawa Senators of a few years ago when they turned the corner and became a very respectable franchise. We have speed, we have youth, and the future is very bright. What we have that the Sens didn't have (and still don't to this day) is solid goaltending in Price and Halak.

Here's what I like about this team for the playoffs:

• we have tons of speed
  • we have 7 players with 50 points or more
  • we have 7 players with 15 goals or more, 4 of those have more than 25 goals
  • we have the number one PP in the league
What could be our downfall:
  • we don't have much playoffs' experience
  • I have concerns about our grit
  • like the old Sens, we have many Europeans and far from wanting to be racist, it has shown in playoffs' runs in the past that they sometimes find it very difficult comes playoffs
  • although our faceoffs' % has improved a bit, it still remains a low point and it can prove crucial in the playoffs
  • our PK with Begin is not the same as without him. Overall this season, it's been pretty bad
And the X-Factors:
  • youth in general, meaning more energy in the young legs than in the old ones
  • a few of our players experienced the Calder Cup run last year in the AHL
  • Ryder looking to salvage an off season
  • Carey Price
I think that we should be able to get out of the first round, but that's it for this year. If that's the case, it will be a very successful season, providing our young guys with the much needed playoffs' experience to move forward in years to come.

What's your take?

I had concerns about our grit, and I see that we need Stewart and O'Byrne in the line-up. Lucic and company are having a hay-day in our zone and we're not as physical as we were on their d-men. And where's that #1 PP I'm talking about there? :blink:

Guest Onzeee

These Habs are going home if they dont wake the hell up and stop standing around getting their asses handed to them

they are not attemping to fight through the checking at all

Guest Onzeee

These Habs are going home if they dont wake the hell up and stop standing around getting their asses handed to them

Guest AlexK

You make it sound easy. You fail to mention that Boston is a checking team that plays a tight defensive game. Our team is built with a lot of small finesse guys who score on the odd man rushes. If the Habs can't generate speed through the neutral zone that pretty much nullifies the top lines on the team. That leaves it a matchup between Boston's lines and the Habs 3rd and 4th lines to out grind eachother.

Archived