The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Maxim Trunev

I have confidence in Timmins, but i always have doubts when they said "he will be the steal of the draft" why did you wait until the 5th round to pick him up then ?

I can think of three reasons for him to say that about Trunev:

1) Timmins was just saying that to comfort habs fans or something to that effect.

2) It's not completely up to Timmins to decide who they draft and when. There's a collection of people that make each decision. But it sounds like Timmins was pushing hard for him, while the others weren't pushing as hard. In other words, if Timmins had the power, he would have selected him earlier in the draft.

3) Timmins and the others in the organization knew that Trunev wasn't being considered very seriously by other teams who actually scouted him, so they figured they should take their chances and wait since they could probably get him in a later round. Hence "steal".

Maybe it's a combination of all three!

Fischer and McDonagh did attend the development camp because it is within the rules of the NCAA regarding becoming a pro player.

Any NCAA player must not get any payment or benefits, including travel, hotels etc, from any pro clubs or they can no longer play college hockey.

They attended development camp using money from their own pockets but were not allowed to go to training camp.

Concerning Trunev, his passport has expired which is why he is not here for the development camp.

He is expected to report to Portland but it is his choice whether he leaves Russia or stays.

Hawks score Russian NHL Prospect in Import Draft

June 26, 2008

Portland, Ore. - The Portland Winter Hawks selected 18-year old Right Wing, Maksim Trunev, from Kirovo-Chepetsk, Russia with the third overall selection in today's Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

This marks the second time Trunev has been taken in a hockey draft in less than a week as he was the 5th round (138th overall) selection by the Montreal Canadiens in Saturday's National Hockey League Entry Draft.

Trunev was the youngest European player chosen in the NHL draft. Had he been born a few weeks later, he would have been eligible for the 2009 draft where some speculated that he would have been a second round choice.

At 5'-11", 174lb, Trunev is an explosive skater and creative puck handler who is expected to add an instant scoring touch to the Hawks.

Winter Hawks Head Coach, Rich Kromm, has worked with Trunev the past two summers at the Okanagan Hockey School in Penticton, BC and has seen his skills firsthand.

"He is very dynamic and gifted offensively," said Kromm. "His maturity will allow him to be an immediate impact player by adding a scoring punch to our line-up."

Trunev has proven to be a scoring machine during his hockey career. He recorded five goals and five assists for ten points and was named to the "All-Star" list during his team's seven-game championship run at the prestigious Mac's AAA Midget Tournament in December.

Trunev reportedly averaged two points per game this past season while playing for Cherepovets Severstal.

When it comes to selecting prospects in the Import Draft, talent can sometimes take a back seat to a player's willingness to leave home and play in North America as a teenager. The Winter Hawks think they have player that rates high in both categories.

"Like many of the top Russian players, he has great skill but, his creative abilities set him apart," said Kromm. "Plus, he has shown great interest in playing in our league during his time at the Okanagan camps."

Winter Hawks Director of Player Personnel, Matt Bardsley, likes how Trunev will fit into the current team.

"He is an 18-year old and could potentially play with us for three years. We feel that his scoring presence will not only add points to our roster but, make the other players around him better."

Kromm agrees with Bardsley's assesment.

"His age will allow him to be a big part of our rebuilding process," Kromm said.

http://www.winterhawks.com/index.php?optio...68&Itemid=1

• 3 weeks later...
Hawks score Russian NHL Prospect in Import Draft

June 26, 2008

Portland, Ore. - The Portland Winter Hawks selected 18-year old Right Wing, Maksim Trunev, from Kirovo-Chepetsk, Russia with the third overall selection in today's Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

This marks the second time Trunev has been taken in a hockey draft in less than a week as he was the 5th round (138th overall) selection by the Montreal Canadiens in Saturday's National Hockey League Entry Draft.

Trunev was the youngest European player chosen in the NHL draft. Had he been born a few weeks later, he would have been eligible for the 2009 draft where some speculated that he would have been a second round choice.

At 5'-11", 174lb, Trunev is an explosive skater and creative puck handler who is expected to add an instant scoring touch to the Hawks.

Winter Hawks Head Coach, Rich Kromm, has worked with Trunev the past two summers at the Okanagan Hockey School in Penticton, BC and has seen his skills firsthand.

"He is very dynamic and gifted offensively," said Kromm. "His maturity will allow him to be an immediate impact player by adding a scoring punch to our line-up."

Trunev has proven to be a scoring machine during his hockey career. He recorded five goals and five assists for ten points and was named to the "All-Star" list during his team's seven-game championship run at the prestigious Mac's AAA Midget Tournament in December.

Trunev reportedly averaged two points per game this past season while playing for Cherepovets Severstal.

When it comes to selecting prospects in the Import Draft, talent can sometimes take a back seat to a player's willingness to leave home and play in North America as a teenager. The Winter Hawks think they have player that rates high in both categories.

"Like many of the top Russian players, he has great skill but, his creative abilities set him apart," said Kromm. "Plus, he has shown great interest in playing in our league during his time at the Okanagan camps."

Winter Hawks Director of Player Personnel, Matt Bardsley, likes how Trunev will fit into the current team.

"He is an 18-year old and could potentially play with us for three years. We feel that his scoring presence will not only add points to our roster but, make the other players around him better."

Kromm agrees with Bardsley's assesment.

"His age will allow him to be a big part of our rebuilding process," Kromm said.

http://www.winterhawks.com/index.php?optio...68&Itemid=1

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1049...h_maxim_trunev/

sounds like his first choice is to stay in Russia

He would rather play in the North america, but then he will be to far from family and still has a russian contract.

If Radulov goes to Russian, Lets get Trunev to USA. ;)

Actually according to the HF article it seems his preference is to play for Severstal. If he cannot get a regular roster spot this year he will play overseas (probably in North America for a year I would expect) and then return to try and crack Severstal’s lineup.

HF: Can you tell us your contract situation?

MT: I can say that I am under contract with Severstal for other two years.

HF: What do you think about your chances with Montreal or Portland? Do you think to play overseas in the next season? Do you plan to go back to Russia if things there don’t go too well? If yes, will you keep playing for Severstal?

MT: Now I want to have a regular spot in Severstal’s roster, if things don’t go like expected I play overseas for one year and then I want to return and break Severstal’s lineup.

Actually according to the HF article it seems his preference is to play for Severstal. If he cannot get a regular roster spot this year he will play overseas (probably in North America for a year I would expect) and then return to try and crack Severstal’s lineup.

MT: Now I want to have a regular spot in Severstal’s roster, if things don’t go like expected I play overseas for one year and then I want to return and break Severstal’s lineup.

Exactly.. that's a bummer... definitely sounds like he cares more about Severstal and doesn't really give a crap about the Habs drafting him. Personally I wouldn't wabt him here if he plans to come here only because things are not working out "v Sovke". <_<

Exactly.. that's a bummer... definitely sounds like he cares more about Severstal and doesn't really give a crap about the Habs drafting him. Personally I wouldn't wabt him here if he plans to come here only because things are not working out "v Sovke". <_<

I don't really blame the guy if he wants to stay and finish out his contract, and hopefully play at a higher level of play in Russia (even though I agree I wish he'd come over here and play for Portland instead) ...I think u are taking that a little bit to far, I think he was quite happy to be drafted and he did say his life long dream has always been to play in the NHL, and I'm sure he'll play for Montreal

http://www.lhebdodustmaurice.com/article-2...Cataractes.html

Apparently, he and his agent made an agreement with Shawinigan and his agent issued a warning telling all the other teams not to draft him in the Import Draft because he won't report to the CHL unless it's with the Cataracts.

I wouldn't be surprised that he doesn't want to go to the Portland, probably because they suck. Maybe that's what made him want to stay in Russia?

http://www.lhebdodustmaurice.com/article-2...Cataractes.html

Apparently, he and his agent made an agreement with Shawinigan and his agent issued a warning telling all the other teams not to draft him in the Import Draft because he won't report to the CHL unless it's with the Cataracts.

I wouldn't be surprised that he doesn't want to go to the Portland, probably because they suck. Maybe that's what made him want to stay in Russia?

Your post made me chuckle, but 'they suck' is an understatement. I can't even blame the guy, even though i'd love to. I played on a baseball team when i was younger that only won 3 games in the entire season, i was season mvp, but woooopty doo. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. As long as he ends up coming over, i could care less. But if this is the deciding factor in whether he ever comes, i probably wouldn't have wanted to count on him when/if we needed him.

• 1 month later...

Look at what I found on the French boards.

This guy's absolutely exciting and he's just! Sigh if only he decided to come to North America already, he could have the potential to surpass Sergei Kostitsyn, especially with the talent he has. Wonder how well he'll do with Severstal main team. At least if he fails to crack the line up there, he said he would come to NA. Wonder how he compares with guys like Radulov, Andrei Kostitsyn, Frolov or Zherdev.

Oh and btw he doesn't shoot right, he shoots left somebody please edit my first post.