The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Maxim Trunev

1 point in three games so far, nothing to scoff at in the Russian league, when you're only 18.

I guess after 10-15 games the story will be more telling. 1 point in 3 games could easily turn into 1 point in 10 games, which wouldn't look so fancy. It's too bad he couldn't come to our rookie camp. I would have loved to hear what the pundits would say about him. He's very young, but could potentially be awesome, I guess! I hope someday he suits up for the bleu-blanc-et-rouge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He has played 5 games in the KHL tallying a goal and an assist.

September 5, 2008 @ Metallurg Magnitogorsk 1 0 1 1 0

September 7, 2008 @ Salavat Yulaev Ufa 1 0 0 0 0

September 11, 2008 vs. Metallurg Novokuznetsk 1 0 0 0 0

October 11, 2008 @ Dinamo Riga 1 0 0 0 0

October 13, 2008 @ Dynamo Minsk 1 1 0 1 0

KHL Total: 5 1 1 2 0

Try the Habs Prospect website for his stats:

http://habsprospects.hockeyhq.net/

under contract for 2 more years in RUssia... yet the way he talks it seems that he could not honour it.

I don't see how it could hurt his developement. It might not be as good as playing in Canada but it's better than nothing.

I guess after 10-15 games the story will be more telling. 1 point in 3 games could easily turn into 1 point in 10 games, which wouldn't look so fancy. It's too bad he couldn't come to our rookie camp. I would have loved to hear what the pundits would say about him. He's very young, but could potentially be awesome, I guess! I hope someday he suits up for the bleu-blanc-et-rouge.

Looks like a wasted year (development wise) in Russia for Trunev.

He has played in only 5 of 19 games for Severstal, averaging only 6:50 a game. Looks like he will be lucky if he plays in 20 games this year.

Source: http://www.khl.ru/statistics/?section=team...495〈=en

He should have come over to Portland where he could have played big minutes and continued his development. To think he has another year on his Russian contract too.

That is too bad, but hopefully he will jump at the first chance to come over, and also other players can see what is happening and things like this might sway them to come over instead of staying home. One thing you must keep in mind though. How much say did he really have? The pressure in that country to stay and play for Mother Russia has to be tremendous!

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/?p=92

found this on Trunev can someone tell me what it says......probably nothing more then what you've all been talkin about but anyways.....

it's pretty rough but here you go:

basically, mathias brunet is pretty psyched about this kid.

it talks about how trunev is another late pick (5th round) that has trevor timmins and the habs scouting team salivating.

he mentions that the habs know how to draft russian and belarussian players late noting sergei and markov as examples. even pavel datsyuk was a late pick (to my surprise): nine picks after markov.

then he describes the clip he's posted (for those of us who don't know him) from an international midget aaa game. he acknowledges that the russians dominated the game but makes note of trunev's natural talent: his acceleration, his puck handling and his shot (he wears no. 81).

at only 18yrs, trunev has already played six games in the khl (playing with the big boys) and has a goal and an assist.

finally, he notes that timmins might have found another gem and depending on his development, we will know trunev by name when he comes to camp in a year or two.

then he describes the clip he's posted (for those of us who don't know him) from an international midget aaa game. he acknowledges that the russians dominated the game but makes note of trunev's natural talent: his acceleration, his puck handling and his shot (he wears no. 81).

Btw just to make sure, the Vancouver Giants and the Vancouver NW giants are not the same team right?

I hope this guy starts getting regular icetime in the KHL.

• 1 month later...
*sigh 16 games played, 2 goals 1 assist...

He better come over to North America next year.

I am not too discouraged by Trunev's stats in the KHL this year. He's 18, and already playing in this league. This is already telling for his future. Not many 18 yo are playing in the first division of Russian hockey, just as only the stars do it on a regular basis in the NHL.

I believe he's under contract for one more year with Severstal Cherepovets. This second year should be more telling.

We should sign to a rookie contact one year in the ahl would do wonders for him.

He is under contract in Russia until 2010 so I highly doubt it will happen.

I hope he can free himself from his current contract and get drafted again in the CHL import draft.

Trunev has already a signed professional contract in Russia making good money so I doubt he is eligible. If there was a loophole Portland Winter Hawks drafted Trunev 3rd overall in the import draft so I believe they would have to give up his rights first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...