AK-1

8474645.jpg

Name: Steve Quailer

Position: RW

Shoots: Left

Height: 6-3

Weight: 185 lbs

Birthdate: 1989-08-05

Drafted: 3rd round - 86th overall (Montreal Canadiens)

Hometown: Arvada, Colorado[/code]</div>

Talent Analysis

Quailer has excellent breakaway type of speed and a good stride. He has good hands and shoots the puck well. He has good playmaking ability, good vision and is able to play any one of the forward positions. He utilizes a very quick release, not generally winding up but is able to snap the puck from all areas of the ice. Quailer is very strong on the puck and is able to protect in the corners.

The Colorado native is naturally strong but he still needs to fill out his frame. He hasn’t been working out off the ice as some players might be doing at this point in their early careers. It has been noted that he should focus on going hard to the net and burying the puck when he gets his chances. Once his confidence levels rise a long with maturity, he’s appears to be a strong diverse power upfront.

Future

Quailer has had a lot thrown at him over the last year coming to the USHL from midget AAA in Colorado. He has adjusted to that change and has been noticed for his play. He will continue to develop in the NCAA, as he has committed to Northeastern University for the fall of 2008.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5484

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Quailer, F

“[Quailer] has a lot of raw potential,” Timmins said. “We brought him into Montreal for a mini combine [on June 2]. I’ll admit he’s pretty green, but he’s a big powerful skater and he was the MVP of his team in his first year at the USHL.

“He has an agreement to go to Northeastern, which is an up-and-coming program and we know he’ll develop well there,” Timmins added. “Gene Reilly is an assistant coach there and he was our coach in Grand Rapids when I was in Ottawa. And if something changes, his rights are owned by Seattle in the WHL.”

In 60 games, scored 19 goals and 48 points for USHL's Sioux City. He added 55 PIMs.

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1046...8_draft_review/

• 4 weeks later...
Talent Analysis

Quailer has excellent breakaway type of speed and a good stride. He has good hands and shoots the puck well. He has good playmaking ability, good vision and is able to play any one of the forward positions. He utilizes a very quick release, not generally winding up but is able to snap the puck from all areas of the ice. Quailer is very strong on the puck and is able to protect in the corners.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5484

At 6'3" 185lbs if this kid can beef up a little maybe he could turn out to be that big powerful center that we've always been looking for in a long time, but he sounds really good right now hopefully he can live up to his hype right now and live up to his potential. good luck Mr.Quailer :D

• 1 month later...

Quailer did the unexpected last year in the USHL as a rookie by tallying 49 points to tie for the Team lead during the regular season and second in team scoring during the playoffs. He was voted the Team MVP for the season and was named to the USHL All-Rookie team.

He a big forward with "excellent breakaway speed and a good stride. He has good hands and shoots the puck well. He has good playmaking ability, good vision and is able to play any one of the forward positions. He utilizes a very quick release, not generally winding up but is able to snap the puck from all areas of the ice. Quailer is very strong on the puck and is able to protect in the corners."

Though he is only 185 lbs, I think this guy will be interesting to watch at Northeastern University this year as he is one of the biggest (height wise) forwards on the team.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a Northeastern alum and season-ticket holder...Quailer looks very, very good thus far. I've been to all three home games, and he's spent a lot of time on our second and third line, and seen action with the #1 PP unit. He'll need to bulk up, at 185 he looks a little small for even the NCAA's, but he's been a very good skater, he makes good decisions, and he's playing very well as a freshman in a difficult league. Northeastern's off to a great start to the season and Quailer has been a big reason why.

I'll be interested to see how he looks this Sunday...Northeastern plays at Boston University, the #1 team in the country (having already knocked off one #1 team this season) and they always play a physical game. Hopefully, he can hold his own against them in a hostile environment.

I'm a Northeastern alum and season-ticket holder...Quailer looks very, very good thus far. I've been to all three home games, and he's spent a lot of time on our second and third line, and seen action with the #1 PP unit. He'll need to bulk up, at 185 he looks a little small for even the NCAA's, but he's been a very good skater, he makes good decisions, and he's playing very well as a freshman in a difficult league. Northeastern's off to a great start to the season and Quailer has been a big reason why.

I'll be interested to see how he looks this Sunday...Northeastern plays at Boston University, the #1 team in the country (having already knocked off one #1 team this season) and they always play a physical game. Hopefully, he can hold his own against them in a hostile environment.

Look forward to hearing how he did. Keep us posted!

nice to have connections!!! that's excellent fred keep us posted, very intersted

Well, Quailer had a very good night at UVM. His center returned from injury (he'd been paired with our #5 center the previous 5 games because of an injury to our #3 guy) and Quailer set him up for one goal and got an assist on fellow freshman Alex Tuckerman's goal in a 5-3 win. 2 assists for the evening at the 15th ranked team in the country. Not bad. The line of Quailer-Silva-Tuckerman looks like it has the potential to be our #2 line this season.

At BU, the entire team laid an egg. BU had been spanked on Friday, and they came out with a venegeance, especially on the defensive end. Northeastern lost 3-0. I thought Quailer's line again was pretty solid, but BU didn't give up many good chances. Steve is throwing his weight around a little more...he laid out a couple good hits in the corner and is becoming more physical as he gets comfortable at this level.

Going into the weekend I would have been happy with 2 points on the weekend, and the team got that. Quailer was a very big part of Friday's win.

Next up, hosting UNH on Friday then at UMass-Lowell on Saturday. I'll be at the UNH game.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of a recent update. It's winter break for most college teams, so I figured I'd update the end of the first half of Quailer's freshman season.

He had a very strong game against UNH, IMO. His first shift he set up an early NU goal with a strong rush down the left boards, firing a shot on net that was stopped by UNH's goalie (in his first game back from injury, it was key to test him early)...the goalie also stopped the first rebound, but not the second and Quailer had an assist and NU was on their way to a chippy 3-2 win over a good opponent (ranked #13 in the country at the time).

It sounded like he was pretty invisible the next night in a win at UMass-Lowell, but he notched an assist against #7 Princeton the following weekend at the RPI tourney, and then a goal and an assist against the hosts the following night. He's been seeing some more time on the PP and PK as well, and the PP had a number of good chances with him on the ice in their 3-2 win over Maine in their most recent game.

NU heads into the break 11-3-2, their best start in years. Quailer's got a 3-8-11 line that's tied for 4th on the team with his linemate Steve Silva and sophomore first-line winger Tyler McNeely. It's been fun to watch NU be able to roll 3 solid scoring lines out there, and Quailer's play (along with fellow frosh Alex Tuckerman) has been a big reason they have this type of depth.

They should convert him to C/RW.

Don't be surprised if they do. 3 of NU's top 5 centers are seniors (Vitale, Ginand and Rassey), only Silva and Costa will return next year and I don't know of any other underclassmen that have experience at C. I think I read McNeely was a C in juniors, but he's been very good as a winger. Costa's a great 4th line guy so I could see Quailer centering a top 2 line, with Silva anchoring the other, in 2009-2010....if he stays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of a recent update...been a little busy of late:

So, since the Minnesota tourney NU's played 6 games...I've been to 5 of them.

In their first home game (vs lowly Merrimack) Quailer notched the first goal of the 2-1 win on a penalty shot. Showed a nice little backhand move and beat the goalie glove-side. In the back end of the home-and-home I recall his line being rather invisible...it was another 2-1 win, but the second half of the game they pretty much sat back and played defensively.

The following weekend, NU hosted Vermont for a pair. Vermont is a top 10 team as well, and was at the time the biggest threat to NU's spot in first-place in the Hockey East, so it was a pretty big series. Quailer notched the first goal of this game as well, a nice PP goal. His linemates, Tuckerman and Silva did a great job moving the puck and Quailer stepped into the slot and buried the feed. He assisted on a similar play the second night, as he and Tuckerman set up fellow freshman Mike McLaughlin for his first collegiate goal, a PP goal that temporarily knotted the game at 2 in an eventual 4-2 loss (their first home loss of the season).

Quailer was without a point in last weekend's home-and-home sweep of Providence, the conference's second-to-last place team. He didn't do much in the game I saw...was a little physical, but overall unimpressive. That said, part of it could have been that he was overshadowed by a teammate's hat trick and a number of skirmishes in the first period.

Overall, my impressions have been positive. The coaches seem to be gaining confidence in him, as he's seeing a lot of time on the PP now (not as much early in the season) and some time on the PK as well. The PP has started to click the last month and as I said here, he's had 2 PP goals and a nice assist on another...that's a big part of the team's recent success rate (8 for the last 25 or so). He's also using his body very well...some kids get to this level and struggle with more physical play, but it looks like he's figured that he's got a very solid 6'3" frame and he's going to use it to shield the puck and hold off defenders. He's looking similar to last year's freshmen, Wade MacLeod and Tyler McNeely, in that they looked tentative for the first dozen games or so, then really got comfortable with what they can and cannot do and really excelled. His 6-9-15 totals are good for 6th on a team that is now ranked 3rd in the country.