The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

At 6'3" 185lbs if this kid can beef up a little maybe he could turn out to be that big powerful center that we've always been looking for in a long time, but he sounds really good right now hopefully he can live up to his hype right now and live up to his potential. good luck Mr.Quailer :D

Yes he sounds good and that size up front could be a God send. So good luck.

To be fair, both points were rather cheap. The assist was a great effort play on his part, as he was getting dirty in the corner and the puck popped out to the defenseman near the circle for an empty net PP goal (the goalie got stuck tryin to play the puck along the boards). The goal was basically the same play...Chris Donovan's aggressive forecheck stole the puck from the goalie, he dumped it out front and Quailer buried it from 20 feet. Still, very welcome points in a HUGE game.

Quailer got the nod on the top line last night, playing with Hobey Baker Award candidate Joe Vitale and sophomore winger Wade MacLeod. Saw plenty of time on an effective top PP unit too, as he was on the ice for both NU PP goals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big couple of weekends for the Huskies.

Needing to sweep BC to win the Hockey East Regular Season title, Quailer scored the game-winning goal Friday night to give Northeastern a 2-1 OT win. Just a classic garbage goal...he parked himself in front of the net, and with pressure on the goalie the puck bounced his way and he roofed it for the goal. On the downside, he was pretty invisible in the loss at BC on Saturday.

This past weekend, in the playoffs, he scored NU's second goal of the night on Saturday in a 4-1 win, and also assisted on their 3rd goal, a PP goal. His blast from the point was saved but his linemate, Alex Tuckerman, jammed home the rebound. He then picked up an assist Sunday on Tuckerman's OT game-winner, finding the fellow freshman open behind the net...Tuckerman skated out and fired a shot high to the short side for the win.

Quailer was named to Hockey East's All-Rookie team on Wednesday.

Conference semifinals are tonight at 5. Northeastern faces UMass-Lowell.

Here is the article:

"On Wednesday, Hockey East announced that freshman Steve Quailer was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team."

"Quailer had four goals and 10 assists in 27 Hockey East games and 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points in 39 overall games."

Source: http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/2009/awards031909.htm

Very nice to see. Pacioretty last year was named to the all rookie team in the CCHA. :D

Steve Quailer's Northeastern University Huskies (25-11-4) has qualified for the first time since 1994 to participate in the 2009 NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship.

Northeastern University is ranked #2 going into the Midwest Regional Championship this upcoming weekend (March 28-29) at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Here is the game schedule:

Saturday, March 28, 4 p.m. Eastern time, ESPNU

No. 2 Northeastern (25-11-4) vs. No. 3 Cornell (21-9-4)

Saturday, March 28, 7:30 p.m. Eastern time, ESPN Classic (TBD)/ESPN360.com (Live)

No. 1 Notre Dame (31-5-3) vs. No. 4 Bemidji State (18-15-1)

If Northeastern wins their game they play for the Championship Title on Sunday 29 March 29 at 8 p.m. Eastern time

If they win the Championship then they will advance to the NCAA Frozen Four Tounament that will be held April 9th and 11th at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. for a chance to win the NCAA crown.

Source: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/032209aac.html

Northeastern is upset by Cornell losing 3-2 in Regulation

http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/2009/game41.htm

Steve Qualier and the Northeastern Huskies NCAA season ended today when they lost to Princeton 3-2 in the NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinal. At one point Northeastern led the game 2-0. Goaltender Brad Thiessen, the Hockey East Player of the Year and Hobey Baker Award finalist, luck finally ran out.

• 6 months later...

NU played their first "game" of the season...an exhibition against St. Thomas (of New Brunswick). Quailer spent most of his time centering the second line, and was very effective on the PP until he was hit from behind with 5 mins to play. He stayed down on the ice for a few minutes and skated off VERY gingerly, placing very little pressure on his knee. Official word is that he's "fine" but it didn't look good to me from where I was sitting.

• 8 months later...
apparently Montreal was ready to take him for 2010-11 until the injury. now it sounds like he gets one more year as a Husky before moving up to Hamilton.

I may have missed it, but was their a release or a bit of news that depicted this? There wasn't a whole lot of news that came out of the developement camp, but I heard his name mentioned a few times.

Aside from that, can anyone add a decent (hopeful) prosepective future for Steve? Any hope of filling a habs jersey shortly?

• 1 month later...
I may have missed it, but was their a release or a bit of news that depicted this? There wasn't a whole lot of news that came out of the developement camp, but I heard his name mentioned a few times.

Aside from that, can anyone add a decent (hopeful) prosepective future for Steve? Any hope of filling a habs jersey shortly?

not this season. the Habs want him to play one more year in college, so Northeastern gets him for 2010-11 and they'll take him from there.

i'm interested to see if NU puts him back on the wing or at center. He was playing center in the one exhibition game he played last year and I'm hoping that continues this season. they're a little thin at center and could use him on the 1st or 2nd line.

not this season. the Habs want him to play one more year in college, so Northeastern gets him for 2010-11 and they'll take him from there.

i'm interested to see if NU puts him back on the wing or at center. He was playing center in the one exhibition game he played last year and I'm hoping that continues this season. they're a little thin at center and could use him on the 1st or 2nd line.

I know the Habs have replenished the system with Centers, but to have Quailer with his size and speed coming up would be such a bonus. You can never have to many centers,that was Montreal's thing in the 60's and 70's and 50's for that matter.

• 2 months later...