The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Steve Quailer

AK-1

Quailer was back on the wing for most of last weekend's exhibition game. He looked tentative at times, but it was good to see him back on the ice.

First regular season game is tonight at Providence.

Quailer looks like a good prospect, anybody know of a station that carries NU's games.Thanks.

Not a good first weekend. Steve looked a little tentative in the opening loss at PC (one of the league's worst teams). They had him on the point during the PP, and he struggled there, and didn't do much to stand out.

Better game against defending national champion bc on Saturday, but he didn't crack the scoresheet at all (nor did anyone else, the team lost 2-0).

They play tonight at home against RPI. I have to miss this one, but I'll talk to people who attend to get a better feel for the evening.

GoNu.tv broadcasts the games: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/n...eastern.portal#

it would be nice if he could gain another 15 pounds eh? and worked his legs out really really hard!!!!

He looked pretty thin at 187 lbs he could probably gain another 15-20lbs on his frame, he would be extremely hard to move at that weight. He's going to be a Hab within 2 years the prospect pool is getting deeper finally.

You really think so ?

We've got guys in the minors now with better credentials who will probably never make it

thats coaching management's fault i dont know how it would be theres like subban is just up now at 20 he was ready last year for full time

• 1 month later...

Finally Steve Quailer gets his first goal of the season,the year off has left him a little rusty.Sounds like he's finally getting his timing back, with the way Northeastern is playing this year they are playoff bound and can use the offensive touch Quailer has again.Go Steve Go! This guy is going to look good in Hamilton next year,he probably will be on a line with Avtsin and Desharnais.

Not a good first weekend. Steve looked a little tentative in the opening loss at PC (one of the league's worst teams). They had him on the point during the PP, and he struggled there, and didn't do much to stand out.

Better game against defending national champion bc on Saturday, but he didn't crack the scoresheet at all (nor did anyone else, the team lost 2-0).

They play tonight at home against RPI. I have to miss this one, but I'll talk to people who attend to get a better feel for the evening.

GoNu.tv broadcasts the games: <a href="http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/northeastern.portal#" target="_blank">http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/n...eastern.portal#</a>

Thanks Fred Simon I'll be watching the game against Boston tonight that promises to be a good one.I want to see Oleksiak play as well he sounds like a promising Defenceman,Quailer must have his timing back so I'm looking forward to this game.

• 1 month later...

Glad to see NU hockey gaining a following north of the border. Steve has looked much better in 2011...his explosiveness is coming back a bit, and coach Cronin is looking to him to pick up the scoring in the second half. He scored his 3rd goal of the year on Wednesday (the GWG) in a 3-0 win over Harvard. Very nice individual effort along the boards, he cut back to the middle and beat their goalie with a backhander. Hopefully he gets hot in the second half and leads the 2nd line.

Steve has been a winger all season, with sophomore Justin Daniels (San Jose 3rd round pick) as his centerman. JDan missed most of the first half with a high ankle sprain, but getting him back on the second line should be a huge plus. he was a very good playmaker as a freshman.

As for Oleksiak, he's a beast. He's a 6'7" dman who was 17 at the start of the season (some freshmen can be as old as 20). He's been one of our top defensemen all year, and his shot is an absolute cannon. I've seen some scouts in the balcony at Matthews Arena...no doubt watching him (or perhaps, 6'5" soph goalie Chris Rawlings, who also got a look from many NHL teams this past summer). He's projected as high as late 1st round in this June's draft.

NU is now 7-10-4, 6-3-2 in their last 11. Top 8 of 10 in the conference make the conference tournament, with the first round being a best of 3 at the 4 highest seed's arenas. NU is 6-7-3 in conference play, currently good enough for 6th place. A top-4 seed is the goal right now, and if they stay hot they could do some damage in the playoffs.

Also, the famed Beanpot tournament starts in 2 weeks (2/7). The four Boston-area schools play a two-round tournament at the Garden for bragging rights. These are some of the most intense NCAA games anywhere. NU plays Harvard on the 7th, with the winner facing the Boston University-Boston College winner in the Finals on the 14th. We're hoping this is our year (it's been 23 years!)

NU is now 7-10-4, 6-3-2 in their last 11. Top 8 of 10 in the conference make the conference tournament, with the first round being a best of 3 at the 4 highest seed's arenas. NU is 6-7-3 in conference play, currently good enough for 6th place. A top-4 seed is the goal right now, and if they stay hot they could do some damage in the playoffs.

Also, the famed Beanpot tournament starts in 2 weeks (2/7). The four Boston-area schools play a two-round tournament at the Garden for bragging rights. These are some of the most intense NCAA games anywhere. NU plays Harvard on the 7th, with the winner facing the Boston University-Boston College winner in the Finals on the 14th. We're hoping this is our year (it's been 23 years!)

I hope they are one of the top four also would like to see them in the Final Four.Cronin has built quite a team for Northeastern good for College Hockey all around.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they are one of the top four also would like to see them in the Final Four.Cronin has built quite a team for Northeastern good for College Hockey all around.

Top 4 looks like a pipe dream right now. Two ties (Maine and UMass) and a tough loss to Merrimack sandwiched around a win over UMass puts them in perfect shape for 6th and a trip to Merrimack or bu. But that's a ways off.

Cronin is definitely doing a great job. Lots of praise for his ability to prepare guys for the pros (see some of the articles about 18 year old defenseman Jamie Oleksiak, who may be a first rounder in 2011) and it's doing volumes for the program. Former Captain Joe Vitale just got called up for the Pens. He was a 7th round pick back in 2005 and he's flown through the Pens system, getting to the NHL after a little over a season and a half in the minors.

Quailer looks to be coming on. he was quite good in January, and he tallied an assist on the Huskies first goal against Harvard in the Beanpot (the GWG in the 4-0 win) with a nice pass in the neutral zone to set up a rush. The season as a whole may be a lost cause, his numbers aren't going to look good given his struggles in Oct-November, but the coaches are really noticing his improvement. I'm wondering if the Habs won't leave him in the NCAAs one more season, but he's only going to get better as his knee gets back to form.

Top 4 looks like a pipe dream right now. Two ties (Maine and UMass) and a tough loss to Merrimack sandwiched around a win over UMass puts them in perfect shape for 6th and a trip to Merrimack or bu. But that's a ways off.

Cronin is definitely doing a great job. Lots of praise for his ability to prepare guys for the pros (see some of the articles about 18 year old defenseman Jamie Oleksiak, who may be a first rounder in 2011) and it's doing volumes for the program. Former Captain Joe Vitale just got called up for the Pens. He was a 7th round pick back in 2005 and he's flown through the Pens system, getting to the NHL after a little over a season and a half in the minors.

Quailer looks to be coming on. he was quite good in January, and he tallied an assist on the Huskies first goal against Harvard in the Beanpot (the GWG in the 4-0 win) with a nice pass in the neutral zone to set up a rush. The season as a whole may be a lost cause, his numbers aren't going to look good given his struggles in Oct-November, but the coaches are really noticing his improvement. I'm wondering if the Habs won't leave him in the NCAAs one more season, but he's only going to get better as his knee gets back to form.

Quailer always had that explosive quality in his skating,I hope he still has it or regains it.

• 1 month later...

If any of you have NESN, Steve and the Northeastern Huskies are playing in the Hockey East semi-finals at 5 PM EDT. They finished 6th, then upset the 3rd seeded bu Terriers in the first round, winning 2 of 3 (all games on the road). They'll play top seed, and defending national champs, BC.

It's be a tough season for Steve, he's playing much better down the stretch but he has been ridiculously snakebit. He's hit at least 3 posts, and had one goal taken away due to a questionable review (apparently he deflected it in with a high stick, and being already up 3-0, no one really argued it too much). Fate owes him a goal or two, I hope he gets them tonight.

If any of you have NESN, Steve and the Northeastern Huskies are playing in the Hockey East semi-finals at 5 PM EDT. They finished 6th, then upset the 3rd seeded bu Terriers in the first round, winning 2 of 3 (all games on the road). They'll play top seed, and defending national champs, BC.

It's be a tough season for Steve, he's playing much better down the stretch but he has been ridiculously snakebit. He's hit at least 3 posts, and had one goal taken away due to a questionable review (apparently he deflected it in with a high stick, and being already up 3-0, no one really argued it too much). Fate owes him a goal or two, I hope he gets them tonight.

Yes, go Huskies!

Tough loss to BC. That's a damn good team, and no one made them work harder for their wins this season than Northeastern.

Bit of a step back for Quailer this year. He finished the year 3-10-13, although he was healthy enough to play all 38 games.

Last spring we were told the Habs were taking him at the end of the season...now I'm not so sure. I think he stays in school one more year and gets a chance to anchor a top two line. He seemed to play very well with Cody Ferriero (5th round, SJ) and if Alex Tuckerman comes back strong, hopefully he can be reunited with his freshman year linemate. Justin Daniels (3rd roun, SJ) just didn't get it done as the 2nd line center, although he suffered a leg injury in game 1 that really set him back for the first half. Health is the key next season.

Tough loss to BC. That's a damn good team, and no one made them work harder for their wins this season than Northeastern.

Bit of a step back for Quailer this year. He finished the year 3-10-13, although he was healthy enough to play all 38 games.

Last spring we were told the Habs were taking him at the end of the season...now I'm not so sure. I think he stays in school one more year and gets a chance to anchor a top two line. He seemed to play very well with Cody Ferriero (5th round, SJ) and if Alex Tuckerman comes back strong, hopefully he can be reunited with his freshman year linemate. Justin Daniels (3rd roun, SJ) just didn't get it done as the 2nd line center, although he suffered a leg injury in game 1 that really set him back for the first half. Health is the key next season.

Thanks for keeping updated progress reports on Quailer,I really had hoped he would be in Hamilton.No sense rushing the kid let's see how he does after another summer working out to be ready for pre-season.

• 2 months later...

Hi Fred I was perusing the Habs Developement Camp roster and see that Chris Rawlings and Steve Quailer are there.I'm hoping that the Habs sign both and draft Jamie Oleksiak,Cronin is doing some marvelous work with the kids he has had.

• 4 months later...

Well another season starting for the Huskies this one with Steve Quailer as a new Asst.Capt. against the Mass. Minutemen,a team that Steve has had some success against 2goals and 3 assists.For anyone interested the game is online for free in HD,at GoNU.com/xstream tonight starting at 7:00 EST -4:00 PST.Go Huskies Go!

• 1 month later...

Great start to the season for Quailer. He was suspended for the first two games for violating team rules, but has bounced back with 5-10-15 totals to lead the team in scoring.

NU is 6-7-2 and coming off a sweep of #2 ranked Notre Dame in South Bend. One more game before the winter break this Saturday, at home, againt #18 UMass-Lowell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...