The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn Team 2008/2009 - Sign Up Thread

GIJAYNE

With our first pre-season game less than three weeks away and Our season opener shortly thereafter, I figured it's time to get back into the groove of things. Each summer's long hockeyless wait for the new season seems to get longer and more painful for me, but at least this year we had some sideline entertainment in the form of a certain number 13 and speculations surrounding him to ease the pain.

Now I'm ready for our new season. We finished last year atop our Conference, and have only gotten better (yes this is debatable, but we'll have plenty of that later :D). Our centennial celebrations begin this year, and we have nothing but good things to look forward to on and off the ice.

Same goes for our beloved forum. It will be our first full year with our MN sub-forum. Last year (just like previous years) was a great success, and the activity levels in here were record breaking. This year, in our fourth MN year, I look forward to even more discussions, stats, games, fun and entertainment.

For the new users who are curious, the MN sub-forum is a venue under the General HABS discussion forum that keeps track of the Magic Number left to clinch the playoffs. We have however expanded it to include various other information, stats, trivia, competitions and games to fill in the gaps between game days. You will all find that the MN sub-forum is the area with the most constant volume in activity through out the season, and therefore it provides a great place for all us hockey fanatics to have something to do between games and hold on to the remainning pockets of our sanity. If you find you're someone who has to talk hockey everyday and all day, you will find a happy home amongst other MN fans.

Last year we had a dynamic and well organized team that I can't thank enough. However the torch must be passed on to new participant. Unfortunately some of our old MN members will inevitably have to leave the forum due to school/work/family/etc... So we should use the next few weeks to get re-organized as to who will be coming back, and who would like to be part of the team.

VOLUNTEERING TO JOIN THE TEAM: If you wish to join the MN team, let us know by posting in here. New ideas, volunteers and new members are essential to keep the torch going. There are various ways in which one can participate as an MN team member, but we'll get to those later on.

So for now, new comers WELCOME (and let us know if you want to join) and old comers, WELCOME BACK (and let us know if you wish to continue with your respective positions from last year, or try something new).

Oh and in case you're wondering, this is all of course volunteer work. We do it for the love of the game and the love of the team. As a bonus however we get to boast MN banners in our sigs :D

Vets, please fill in anything I forgot. The hot summer days and the cold fermented yeast has slowed my noggin down to a halt, and I'm sure I missed some key points.

thou shall not touch the general w00t! position. it is filled, filed and occupied!

aside for that...

is it really that time of year?

REALLY!?!

w00t!

onto business though: anybody who wishes to join into an already filled position can still ask and see if he/she shall recieve. afterall there may be a day when both me and dagz are just too sick(drunk) to get here and update(im expecting more than a few habs wins over the leafs...sue me) so if anyone wishes to help out on an interim/on-call basis were cool with that too!

So... what the bleep-bleep is happening with this bleeping thread for bleep's sake. Its been so gone all summer long.... time to wake up from the long sleep all you bleeping MN'ers and exercise those digits with magical portent once again... on with the show... there's lots to talk about... then again, I have nothing more to say.

So... what the bleep-bleep is happening with this bleeping thread for bleep's sake. Its been so gone all summer long.... time to wake up from the long sleep all you bleeping MN'ers and exercise those digits with magical portent once again... on with the show... there's lots to talk about... then again, I have nothing more to say.

hmmm i think i know what the problem is here...

*searches through brian's stuff and finds "mateus' guide to the wide bleeping world"*

its only a draft brian! im not done writing it yet!

and hey...where's smiegle!?!

Hey everybody...good to see most of the core-contingent back. I would expect even more newcomers to join this year, with the bulk of it coming in October and November (you know...once we're atop the Confe3rence and the media begins to plan the cup route)

In the meanwhile, I was thinking we can make some changes to the structure. As the thread is growing, we should try and simplyfy tasks and divisions in order to allow for a seamless expansion. One suggestion already came my way about the scouting. It might be more efficient to have a free-for-all. Anyone who finds new info can post. However we would have to implement a general framework so as to remain on topic and within the Forum Policies. So we could agree on something along the lines of - THE INFORMATION MUST...:

- Be about an Eastern Conference team

- Must be significant to the outcome of their next game (the scouting reports are after all to help with the Predictions game)

This of course is one suggestion, one example, and a preliminary framework, but you get the idea.

So if anyone has any other suggestions to help improve and simplify our sheltered little bubbled lives in the sub-forum, this might be a good time to pitch ideas. We can discuss them further and decide on them early in October before the season starts.

On a final note, below is the MN-ORG-CHART from last year to help with the above topics:

MN-ORG-CHART.jpg

Hey everybody...good to see most of the core-contingent back. I would expect even more newcomers to join this year, with the bulk of it coming in October and November (you know...once we're atop the Confe3rence and the media begins to plan the cup route)

In the meanwhile, I was thinking we can make some changes to the structure. As the thread is growing, we should try and simplyfy tasks and divisions in order to allow for a seamless expansion. One suggestion already came my way about the scouting. It might be more efficient to have a free-for-all. Anyone who finds new info can post. However we would have to implement a general framework so as to remain on topic and within the Forum Policies. So we could agree on something along the lines of - THE INFORMATION MUST...:

- Be about an Eastern Conference team

- Must be significant to the outcome of their next game (the scouting reports are after all to help with the Predictions game)

This of course is one suggestion, one example, and a preliminary framework, but you get the idea.

So if anyone has any other suggestions to help improve and simplify our sheltered little bubbled lives in the sub-forum, this might be a good time to pitch ideas. We can discuss them further and decide on them early in October before the season starts.

On a final note, below is the MN-ORG-CHART from last year to help with the above topics:

MN-ORG-CHART.jpg

why not a scouting pool?

the thread would essentially be a place to post reports but the first post would always be updated to include all new information team by team.

it would have to be updated daily though, or have a last update some 3-4 hours before the game?

why not a scouting pool?

the thread would essentially be a place to post reports but the first post would always be updated to include all new information team by team.

it would have to be updated daily though, or have a last update some 3-4 hours before the game?

I can't swim :unsure::o;)

With 15 teams it could get crowded in that pool, but I get the gist of your enlightned forethought... I was thinking along the lines of someone posting previews and schedule (perhaps that Admiral guy) and having personal views of scouts about the upcoming event(s) expressed up for discussion... if you get the drift (you need a paddle if that is the case) :D

How about three separate Scouting threads, one for each division in the Eastern Conference? That way you can still have the Free-for-All attitude towards scouting reports but it wouldn't be as overwhelming since one thread would be addressing just five teams instead of fifteen.

How about three separate Scouting threads, one for each division in the Eastern Conference? That way you can still have the Free-for-All attitude towards scouting reports but it wouldn't be as overwhelming since one thread would be addressing just five teams instead of fifteen.

I like this idea too. If we end up with (lets say) 15 volunteer scouts then we could assign 5 per division,,, more if we have more and less if we have less.

Wow, i can survive once again. Im here :) If youll have me of course.

this isnt the game thread or one of the many rumour threads mate. we dont discriminate ;)

you still game with being mr trebec, mr trebec?

I can't swim :unsure::o;)

With 15 teams it could get crowded in that pool, but I get the gist of your enlightned forethought... I was thinking along the lines of someone posting previews and schedule (perhaps that Admiral guy) and having personal views of scouts about the upcoming event(s) expressed up for discussion... if you get the drift (you need a paddle if that is the case) :D

hmmm i like the discussion angle!

kinda like having an MN east coast panel instead of MN east coast scouts....oooo!

more MN threads? :D

hey dagz, how many threads can we make before we make the jealous ones angry ;)

question up for grabs(bouncing off brian's idea!) division panels?

MATT...Correct me if im wrong but......I dont think he meant it as 3 seperate threads. I beleive he was refering to breaking up the scouting by division rather then individual teams. That way a scout could submit news or stats for any team within the appointed division.I dont think i would be too keen on seing 3 different scouting threads either. :blink:

That would mean for example that if i were appointed as a scout in the Habs division,,, then i could still report news on the Sabres and take shots at the Leafs without stepping on any other scouts toes and vise versa. ;)

MATT...Correct me if im wrong but......I dont think he meant it as 3 seperate threads. I beleive he was refering to breaking up the scouting by division rather then individual teams. That way a scout could submit news or stats for any team within the appointed division.I dont think i would be too keen on seing 3 different scouting threads either. :blink:

That would mean for example that if i were appointed as a scout in the Habs division,,, then i could still report news on the Sabres and take shots at the Leafs without stepping on any other scouts toes and vise versa. ;)

keen or not...Varrus did specify three seperate threads. :lol:

Cenner Hice's back up if he still wants me. :D

Yup. I'm back up and running.

Oh... I see what you mean: You're my back-up. Gotcher. Most exceeding kind.

You will definitely be needed between April 11th and April 28th, please. I believe this is a period we call the post-season (fans of another club call it the golf season - let the bashing begin). But we've got a season to get to and through yet. Let's not wish our lives away). Other than that, I'm around much of the time.

Waiting...

I was going to say ready and waiting, but I ain't ready yet.

I like your idea with HTLs alteration. We'll still keep a single Scouting thread, but will divide the duties per Division, and not by team, thus mitigating scheduling and organizational difficulties that have plagued the Admiral for having to keep track of 15 people and 15 teams.

How does this sound? We can than sign users up by Division. Furthermore, we won't have to worry about having too many or too little scouts. Minimum of 3 and maximum of...well...no maximum I suppose, but we'll cap it somewhere if the demand is overwhelming.

As per the above post, I agree with your interpretation and see this as a viable option. So would it be safe to assume, if we all agree on the above, you would be the first to sign up for the North East Division? :D

Yup. I'm back up and running.

Oh... I see what you mean: You're my back-up. Gotcher. Most exceeding kind.

You will definitely be needed between April 11th and April 28th, please. I believe this is a period we call the post-season (fans of another club call it the golf season - let the bashing begin). But we've got a season to get to and through yet. Let's not wish our lives away). Other than that, I'm around much of the time.

Waiting...

I was going to say ready and waiting, but I ain't ready yet.

Tis the difficult part. Being a low brow ninkampoop and patience being a virtue, I'm descending into madness waiting for the puck drop already. :lol:

As per the above post, I agree with your interpretation and see this as a viable option. So would it be safe to assume, if we all agree on the above, you would be the first to sign up for the North East Division? :D

If my seniority ( or insanity :P ) means anything,,, then i would certainly prefer the N.E. division. ;)

Assuming of course the Admiral agrees.

Unoficial Scouting Report

Here's a little tidbit to lighten up everybody's day.....

Sundin was quoted the following after his T.O. meeting with Fletcher...

"Whatever happens to me, whether I'm not going to play tomorrow or whatever, I know Toronto's always the team in my heart. It will also be, whatever happens. When I retire, whenever that happens, that's not going to change."

"This is the best hockey town to play in, in the world," he told reporters. "Right now, the Toronto Maple Leafs don't have the best hockey team in the world. The fans in Toronto certainly deserve to have a team that competes for the Stanley Cup every year."

And here was the best quote from a Leaf fan that i've heard.....

""He's leaving. I remember giving that same speech to my ex. ""

Unoficial Scouting Report

Here's a little tidbit to lighten up everybody's day.....

Sundin was quoted the following after his T.O. meeting with Fletcher...

"Whatever happens to me, whether I'm not going to play tomorrow or whatever, I know Toronto's always the team in my heart. It will also be, whatever happens. When I retire, whenever that happens, that's not going to change."

"This is the best hockey town to play in, in the world," he told reporters. "Right now, the Toronto Maple Leafs don't have the best hockey team in the world. The fans in Toronto certainly deserve to have a team that competes for the Stanley Cup every year."

And here was the best quote from a Leaf fan that i've heard.....

""He's leaving. I remember giving that same speech to my ex. ""

ha ha :lol: The TML boards have already begun bloom quotes for our entertainment.

I can only imagine the frustration in there when they realize theyy are contending for last seat in the Eastern Conference with Atlanta

Archived