The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Carbonneau

AK-1

is it possible that this is the same type of situation as the Hawks faced w/ Savard. I know Carbo has a ton more coaching experience than Denis but I still do not view him as a true tactition or student of coaching. I am often bothered by what seems like an in ability to adapt to what our opponents are doing agaist us (like Philly's PK for example)...also the team seems very unmotivated and undisciplined, playing with no consistency.

I know Carbonneau doesn't like to deviate from his game plans, but he has got to figure out a way to turn this team around fast. I've said it before: good coaches don't wait for things to go completely off the rails before they make changes. I don't mind losses. Losses are part of playing hockey. But over the next ten days, there had better not be another game like this loss to Boston. Not a single one. If we stink it up again in that time frame, something is horribly wrong with this team. For his own sake, I hope Carbo does something, because if the team keeps playing like this, it is going to fall out of contention very quickly and his own job will be at risk. It's unfair, but the old adage holds: it's always easier to fire a coach than trade 24 players. We simply can't afford to have a season-long debacle in our centennial.

Someone posted on Boone's blog that this year's Canadiens look a lot like last year's Senators: tons of talent but zero work ethic or passion. That is a very scary thought.

But this has been going on since he started as coach and has been a problem before him. Julien is doing a great job with Boston but was sent packing from Montreal. Therrien and the Pens, flying boot from here as well. We have a change in players but the attitude and consistency is the same.

Is the team cursed? Who do you blame anymore? The fans?

That's a major role of the coach, no? If the team has all the talent and ability and can motivate themselves 100% of the time, what purpose does a coach serve? ;)

I appear not to be the only one to think that way. Pros are pros... or should be.

Montreal Alouettes' player Matthieu Proulx:

"What we need to remember is that at some point, when you're a professional and you get paid to play, you have to find it in yourself to prepare for a game and get pumped, get motivated."

I appear not to be the only one to think that way. Pros are pros... or should be.

It would be nice if pro athletes were robots and needed absolutely no guidance or push, just like I'm sure it would be nice for a manager any place of employment to have such hard working professionals that all he had to do was put his feet up and watch his boys work their butts off. It's not the reality right now so either Guy needs to do something to get these guys going, or if they're so indifferent that there's nothing he can do then we basically have to tear the team down at the end of this season, and with the number of UFA's we have that wouldn't be all that hard.

I'm not blaming Guy, it very well could be the players, but if so I'd suspect that some of our core guys here have major character issues, and that we need to take a different approach. It's probably not that hard to speculate, in your head, a few of the players I'm referring to.

It would be nice if pro athletes were robots and needed absolutely no guidance or push, just like I'm sure it would be nice for a manager any place of employment to have such hard working professionals that all he had to do was put his feet up and watch his boys work their butts off. It's not the reality right now so either Guy needs to do something to get these guys going, or if they're so indifferent that there's nothing he can do then we basically have to tear the team down at the end of this season, and with the number of UFA's we have that wouldn't be all that hard.

I'm not blaming Guy, it very well could be the players, but if so I'd suspect that some of our core guys here have major character issues, and that we need to take a different approach. It's probably not that hard to speculate, in your head, a few of the players I'm referring to.

No one is asking them to be robots. Carbo "motivated" them after the second period against Columbus, then again after the game against the Leafs. Is it normal for professionals to need added motivation when playing arch rivals like Toronto and Boston?, especially after the coach "motivated" them the game before?

No one is asking them to be robots. Carbo "motivated" them after the second period against Columbus, then again after the game against the Leafs. Is it normal for professionals to need added motivation when playing arch rivals like Toronto and Boston?, especially after the coach "motivated" them the game before?

No it's not, and like I said I don't know what he said or how he "motivated" the guys, but if he really tried, and did something adequate then maybe it's time to look at changing the core and the culture of this team come July next year.

There is a fundamental problem here, we have a hard time with adversity, which didn't rare it's ugly head last season really until the playoffs, but I'm worried that if we slide this season, we could slide hard for a while and it could get out of control.

I don't see any quick fix to be honest, I don't see any magic words or for that matter any magic acquisition that makes us the Red Wings, I get the feeling there's a more fundamental problem within our core.

It's as to do with the players on the ice they forget the reason that they are there to do battle fight and fight. They need a motive to fight everyday. The reason the Montreal Canadiens were so good in the past was because there were always that french english battle it's seems to be missing now. The french canadians have given up the fight.

So are great coaches great, because they had players who could motivate themselves ?

Or are great coaches great, because they new how to motivate?

I am sure Scotty Bowman must have had some input!

Some, but not all. It takes a mixture of both, IMHO. Right now, I'm very concerned about seeing guys like Kovalev and company unable to motivate themselves for division rivals. Brings back memories of two years ago.

Some, but not all. It takes a mixture of both, IMHO. Right now, I'm very concerned about seeing guys like Kovalev and company unable to motivate themselves for division rivals. Brings back memories of two years ago.
Never too high... never too low :D It does take a mixture... to two tango. And yes this does bring back memories of two years ago. And Carbs learned from that as did Kovalev and others when the twain met... the results were good for everyone.

But ultimately as was the case two years ago, the buck stops with the authority (and Carbs was probably reminded of this fact by BG). Carbs has even accepted part of the blame again this time around... he's matured. Teamwork works best.

Normally I wouldn't think Carbo's job is on the line given the team's performance last season, his Jack Adams runner up, and his friendship with Gainey.

But ... this is the centennial year where Gainey apparantly built a team for a cup run. We are slipping out of a playoff position and missing the playoffs is not an option this year. We have a heavy schedule and if this slump continues, something big needs to happen, I can't see Gainey sitting idly by. The question is can he pull off a major trade? If not, is a new coach the easy answer?

In addition to being important to our team to do well, I think Gainey has a lot to prove this season. The fact is that while the team looks a lot better than the one he inherited, under Andre Savard we made it to the second round of the playoffs, yet after 5 years of building we have yet to get past this point under Gainey. I think he needs to prove this year that he is building a team that can contend for a cup. Once again, missing the playoffs is not an option.

Given the circumstances, I don't believe Carbo's job is as safe as it once was. Of course, he isn't going to be fired tomorrow, but depending how this slump goes, it wouldn't shock me at some point.

Normally I wouldn't think Carbo's job is on the line given the team's performance last season, his Jack Adams runner up, and his friendship with Gainey.

But ... this is the centennial year where Gainey apparantly built a team for a cup run. We are slipping out of a playoff position and missing the playoffs is not an option this year. We have a heavy schedule and if this slump continues, something big needs to happen, I can't see Gainey sitting idly by. The question is can he pull off a major trade? If not, is a new coach the easy answer?

In addition to being important to our team to do well, I think Gainey has a lot to prove this season. The fact is that while the team looks a lot better than the one he inherited, under Andre Savard we made it to the second round of the playoffs, yet after 5 years of building we have yet to get past this point under Gainey. I think he needs to prove this year that he is building a team that can contend for a cup. Once again, missing the playoffs is not an option.

Given the circumstances, I don't believe Carbo's job is as safe as it once was. Of course, he isn't going to be fired tomorrow, but depending how this slump goes, it wouldn't shock me at some point.

well said... but the only thing that stumps me ...we're slipping out of playoff position...it's the 14th game ...way to early to look at the standings...gotta look at that after like 50 games to have a clue of what's going to happen...for all we know we win another 50 games...still earyl

Yes, I agree, Graeme. Carbo certainly isn't going to get fired tomorrow, but with the centennial come increased expectations. Gainey didn't build this team to miss the playoffs or scrape in at 8th spot, only to lose in round one or two. That's what we've been doing this entire decade. I sincerely hope, for Carbonneau's sake, that the team turns things around soon, because if we fall out of playoff contention and the team keeps playing like this, Gainey's hand will be forced. He will either have to make a big trade or make big changes behind the bench, or both.

well said... but the only thing that stumps me ...we're slipping out of playoff position...it's the 14th game ...way to early to look at the standings...gotta look at that after like 50 games to have a clue of what's going to happen...for all we know we win another 50 games...still earyl

well of course, the standings now aren't particularly important, but it doesn't look good for us to be on the outside looking in, even early in the season.

I repeat. Gus has got to go. Not in January but now. By January it will be way too late and the season will be in turmoil by then...

I think that's a bit of over reaction due to frustration.

It's very early in the year.

Guy was a candidate for coach of the year last year.

He didn't suddenly forget how to coach this team.

It will turn around.