The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Carbonneau

AK-1

Possible. I'm thinking more along the lines that they have a healthy line-up and no one is guaranteed to play on Friday. And since Carbo has shown in the past that he's not afraid to sit his best players if they don't perform, they took him seriously.

Reminds me of the movie "The Rocket", when the barber was asking Maurice what Dick Irvin said before the third.

I would love to kow what Carbo said, and I will ask him.

The Canadiens came out raging in the third. It was very shocking.

Reminds me of the movie "The Rocket", when the barber was asking Maurice what Dick Irvin said before the third.

I would love to kow what Carbo said, and I will ask him.

The Canadiens came out raging in the third. It was very shocking.

You'll ask him?

Possible. I'm thinking more along the lines that they have a healthy line-up and no one is guaranteed to play on Friday. And since Carbo has shown in the past that he's not afraid to sit his best players if they don't perform, they took him seriously.

I know Carbo probably ripped into them, but I would hope their pride would be enough to wake them up in the 3rd period. That was embarrassing.

I know Carbo probably ripped into them, but I would hope their pride would be enough to wake them up in the 3rd period. That was embarrassing.

He might have given them that opportunity after the first period and we know what happened in the second. Carbonneau stated that he gave his players a very clear speech. I'd like to know what it was.

I hope Carbo ripped them all to shreds during the 2nd intermission. Whatever he said, it definitely worked in the third period. Now if we could just get them to play like that for longer than 20 minutes per game...

If he can achieve getting them to play for 60 minutes, I'm reserving my spot on Ste Catherine Street. God knows they have the talent.

Carbonneau prévient les flâneurs

Mardi 04 novembre 2008

RDS.ca

À trois jours de sa prochaine rencontre, vendredi à Columbus, le Canadien a repris l'entraînement sur la patinoire du Centre Bell. Pour l'occasion, l'entraîneur Guy Carbonneau a apporté une seule modification à ses trios.

Guillaume Latendresse a été muté sur la troisième unité en compagnie de Robert Lang et de Sergei Kostitsyn. C'est Chris Higgins qui prenait la place de l'attaquant québécois avec Saku Koivu et Alex Tanguay.

"Je n'ai aucun problème avec ça, assure Latendresse. Ça a bien fonctionné lors du dernier match. Je vais essayer de pousser fort pour que les trois, on patine ensemble."

Tout juste avant le début de l'entraînement de mardi, Guy Carbonneau a pris le temps de parler à ses joueurs. Et le message ne pouvait être plus clair.

"La période de rodage est terminée, a annoncé Carbo aux journalistes. La mauvaise nouvelle pour certains, c'est qu'on a 23 joueurs en santé, prêts à jouer à chaque match."

Parmi les joueurs qui devront en donner plus, on peut regarder du côté de Sergei Kostitsyn, qui n'a aucun point à ses sept derniers matchs malgré un temps de glace moyen de près de 15 minutes.

"Il y en a qui pensent qu'ils travaillent, mais en fait ce sont les autres qui le font à leur place. Dans un match, c'est normal qu'il y ait des baisses de régime, mais on n’est pas aveugle, on connaît les fautifs."

Source...

Carbonneau warns the slackers

Three days away from their next game, Friday in Columbus, the Canadiens hit the ice at the Bell Centre. For the occasion, head coach Guy Carbonneau made only one change to his lines.

Guillaume Latendresse was skating on the third line with Robert Lang and Sergei Kostitsyn. It was Chris Higgins who was taking his spot with Saku Koivu and Alex Tanguay.

"I have no problems with that, assures Latendresse. It worked well during the last game. I will try my best to push hard so that all three of us skate together."

Just prior to the start of Tuesday's practice, Guy Carbonneau took the time to talk to his players. And the message couldn't be clearer.

"The testing period is over, announced Carbo to the reporters. The bad news for some is that we have 23 healthy players, ready to play in every game."

Amongst the players who will have to give more, we can look towards Sergei Kostitsyn, who doesn't have a point in his last 7 games in spite of an average of 15 minutes of ice time.

"There are some who think that they're working but in reality, it's the others who are doing it for them. During the course of a game, it's normal to see a drop in production, but we're not blind, we know the ones who are at fault."

That was most likely along the lines of the message sent in between the second and third period of the last game. If players aren't motivated by that, I don't know what will.

Or, la pression se gère mieux lorsqu'on travaille avec un coach qui vous laisse l'espace pour vous exprimer ! Après avoir joué pour des entraîneurs durs comme Keenan, Bob Hartley et Joel Quenneville, Tanguay est heureux de se retrouver sous les ordres de Guy Carbonneau.

«Avec lui, c'est moins difficile de se préparer mentalement. Si tu fais tes affaires, il va te laisser tranquille, a-t-il indiqué. Son système de jeu est vraiment conçu à partir des joueurs qu'il a. On est une équipe qui patine et qui est bonne en possession de la rondelle, et la marge de manoeuvre qu'il nous laisse à l'attaque est bien appréciée.»

Source...

The pressure is more manageable when you work with a coach who leaves you some leeway to express yourself! After playing for hard nosed coaches like Keenan, Bob Hartley and Joel Quenneville, Tanguay is happy to play under Guy Carbonneau.

«With him, it's not as hard to prepare yourself mentally. If you do your job, he'll leave you alone, he says. His system is truly custom made for the players he has. We're a team that skates and that is good when in possession of the puck, and the freedom he gives us on offense is very much appreciated.»

How interesting, especially after the negativity we've read about Carbonneau on this forum. Refreshing to get an inside opinion.

Maybe, but he scored a goal today so good for him? :D

Yes, 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 games, plus he had a hit and a blocked shot last night. Does that mean that I now have to watch him play in the next 10 games in a row? I feel sorry for O'Byrne who did well last year, but now seems to have had his confidence stripped away this year. He knows if he makes a mistake, he will be sitting on the bench for the rest of the game, plus he will be in the pressbox for the next game.

Yes, 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 games, plus he had a hit and a blocked shot last night. Does that mean that I now have to watch him play in the next 10 games in a row? I feel sorry for O'Byrne who did well last year, but now seems to have had his confidence stripped away this year. He knows if he makes a mistake, he will be sitting on the bench for the rest of the game, plus he will be in the pressbox for the next game.

Carbo seems to be rotating them. I think it's a good idea. It rests Breezer and gives O'Byrne some experience. Let's not act as if it's Komisarek that we're sitting from time to time. :lol:

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Carbonneau is going to keep Higgins on the Saku line for the next 50 games, regardless of how productive the line is.

you obviously haven't been paying attention for the past 2 years :P . When everyone realizes it's not working, Higgins will go down to the third line for a shift, maybe even a game, and be replaced by someone (could be someone good like Lats or a converted dman like Dandenault, that parts not important), but then next game we'll be back with Higgins-Koivu. So technically it won't be 50 games straight :P

Sorry for getting a bit negative here, it just brings back memories of the last two seasons when no matter what, our backup plan was always "reunite Higgins-Koivu-Ryder" a line that was never very good away from the powerplay.

I think it's good that Carbo is going to give time for Higgins-Koivu-tanguay to gel together. They were off for a week and the rust shows. I mean, 1 week wouldn't be too bad, if it was the FIRST time this season, but the second time already within a month's span?

So, keeping the two together to let them work through it is probably the best thing to do right now. Last night was not a matter of the three not clicking , it was simply the habs taking the Jackets far too lightly.

We gave Pleks' line time to get back together, I feel we should do the same with Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay. Lats was falling off anyways.

you obviously haven't been paying attention for the past 2 years :P . When everyone realizes it's not working, Higgins will go down to the third line for a shift, maybe even a game, and be replaced by someone (could be someone good like Lats or a converted dman like Dandenault, that parts not important), but then next game we'll be back with Higgins-Koivu. So technically it won't be 50 games straight :P

Sorry for getting a bit negative here, it just brings back memories of the last two seasons when no matter what, our backup plan was always "reunite Higgins-Koivu-Ryder" a line that was never very good away from the powerplay.

Sad, but so true. You make a good point about the power play. The glory days of Higgins-Saku-Ryder were in 06-07 when we scored the majority of our goals on the power play. At even strength, we were brutal, as evidenced by everyone's horrendous plus-minuses. Higgins and Saku have never been particularly effective together at even strength, yet we go back to them time and again like they're Spezza and Heatley or something.

I can understand the rationale for keeping the Plekanec line together because they had tremendous success last year on the PP and at even strength, but Carbonneau's fascination with Higgins and Saku together just baffles me. And last night was proof. They were useless at even strength, couldn't get any kind of decent forecheck going or board presence. The problem with Higgins on that line is that he's a shifty, quick forward whose puck-handling skills aren't good enough to compensate for his lack of physical strength. Saku and Tanguay aren't big and strong, but they are superb playmakers who can find the open man, and while both aren't natural scorers, both are willing to go to the net and pay the price to score the short-range goals. Every time I watch Higgins dance around the boards only to lose the puck because he's skated himself into an untenable position, and every time I watch him skate across the blue line, then fire a weak unscreened shot straight into the goalie pads, I want to tear out my (remaining) hair. Someone needs to tell Higgins that he isn't a sniper, he's a garbage man. It's like pulling teeth to get him to go to the net.