The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Carbonneau

AK-1

On another note, does anyone but me feel that some of our defensive deficiencies stem from the fact that none of our coaches was a defenseman? We have three ex-forwards behind the bench in Carbo, Jarvis, and Muller, but nobody who actually used to play defense. Watching how easy it is to exploit our entire D corps, I can't help but feel that they aren't being coached up properly. This isn't a knock on our coaches, just a reflection on an area of expertise in which they might be quite naturally lacking.

On another note, does anyone but me feel that some of our defensive deficiencies stem from the fact that none of our coaches was a defenseman? We have three ex-forwards behind the bench in Carbo, Jarvis, and Muller, but nobody who actually used to play defense. Watching how easy it is to exploit our entire D corps, I can't help but feel that they aren't being coached up properly. This isn't a knock on our coaches, just a reflection on an area of expertise in which they might be quite naturally lacking.

Nothing I'd like more than adding Big Bird to our coaching staff.

I don't remember if it was during the game, at the intermission or on the post game show on RDS l'antrechambre, but someone mentioned something that really got me thinking. He asked the following:

"At this point of the season, should Carbonneau be coaching or motivating this team?"

When I first heard that, I was thinking to myself that he should do both, right? But he went on to explain that we have a talented team who will certainly make the playoffs. By coaching he meant directing (diriger) and by motivating he meant pushing. If he's pushing them too much early on in the season, they may either get burnt out or simply not responding when it really matters. He could, on the other hand, simply coach them without the added pressure and whatever happens, happens. When the time comes, he can then add the motivation factor to his coaching and players will be somewhat rested and responding better at that time.

all you can say to that is maybe, but our dmen have played defense their whole lives they should know the basics of playing the position

I don't remember if it was during the game, at the intermission or on the post game show on RDS l'antrechambre, but someone mentioned something that really got me thinking. He asked the following:

"At this point of the season, should Carbonneau be coaching or motivating this team?"

When I first heard that, I was thinking to myself that he should do both, right? But he went on to explain that we have a talented team who will certainly make the playoffs. By coaching he meant directing (diriger) and by motivating he meant pushing. If he's pushing them too much early on in the season, they may either get burnt out or simply not responding when it really matters. He could, on the other hand, simply coach them without the added pressure and whatever happens, happens. When the time comes, he can then add the motivation factor to his coaching and players will be somewhat rested and responding better at that time.

this team should be able to make the playoffs with their eyes closed but when it comes to the playoffs thats where Guys work should really be effective with his experience and you just know carb is a great motivator even though players shouldnt need motivation in april

WOW!!! I would never say the Habs were dominated in this loss to the Leafs... they just didn't show up. Three scoring lines...yah right :lol: Everyone has seemed to forget how to play in the defensive zone (this is a Carbo team?)

Carbs sure has some work adhead of him... where should he start?

Back to basics... to be sure.

Once, just once, I wish Carbo would go ape-dung crazy on this team in practice. Like psycho-crazy, putting them through the most grueling workout of their lives.

they would just come back 10 times lazier the next night, and oh ya the team better not have an off day tomorrow i tell ya that much

Robert L has a good blog today on Carbonneau's coaching, and how he is not holding the players responsible for their lack of discipline on the ice. He also talks about Carbonneau's lack of transparency when he shows his reactions to calls by the officials. We are all familiar with his facial reactions, etc., and Robert L says that this rubs off on the players as well. I am sure that the officials are also well aware of how Carbonneau reacts to almost every penalty called against the Habs.

http://wwweyesontheprize.blogspot.com/2008...lesson-and.html

Robert L has a good blog today on Carbonneau's coaching, and how he is not holding the players responsible for their lack of discipline on the ice. He also talks about Carbonneau's lack of transparency when he shows his reactions to calls by the officials. We are all familiar with his facial reactions, etc., and Robert L says that this rubs off on the players as well. I am sure that the officials are also well aware of how Carbonneau reacts to almost every penalty called against the Habs.

http://wwweyesontheprize.blogspot.com/2008...lesson-and.html

Who's Robert L and what does he know that we don't?

Nothing I'd like more than adding Big Bird to our coaching staff.

Great idea except I might have to tell Carbo that I prefer Big Bird as the head coach.

When is Carbo going to put together a checking line? Defense includes the forwards. I guess Carbo, Jarvis, and Muller have been reading too much press clippings and thing we are the high flying Canadiens of the 70s. Of course those same Cup winning teams from the 70s had the best checking line of all time.

Most of the easy goals over the past two games have been the result of poor defensive play from EVERYONE on the ice. It is also due to the fact that no checking exists on the team unless you count the 4th line which cannot play against top lines as the 4th line lacks the SKILL to cover top lines.

Great idea except I might have to tell Carbo that I prefer Big Bird as the head coach.

When is Carbo going to put together a checking line? Defense includes the forwards. I guess Carbo, Jarvis, and Muller have been reading too much press clippings and thing we are the high flying Canadiens of the 70s. Of course those same Cup winning teams from the 70s had the best checking line of all time.

Most of the easy goals over the past two games have been the result of poor defensive play from EVERYONE on the ice. It is also due to the fact that no checking exists on the team unless you count the 4th line which cannot play against top lines as the 4th line lacks the SKILL to cover top lines.

Nope. Big Bird as the assistant coach in charge of the defense. Nothing more for me thank you.

Nope. Big Bird as the assistant coach in charge of the defense. Nothing more for me thank you.

I suspect that Big Bird has a job with another team. Maybe BG could hire Brisebois. Of course Brisebois would have to retire first. This is a great idea. The defence instantly gets better without Brisebois and he could show the defence everything that you are supposed to do. Sometimes poeple can teach even if they cannot do.

Okay. Since I think Big Bird already has a job. Green or Ludwig. I wonder if either of these former Habs would want the job. They certainly knew how to play defence. IMO.

I suspect that Big Bird has a job with another team. Maybe BG could hire Brisebois. Of course Brisebois would have to retire first. This is a great idea. The defence instantly gets better without Brisebois and he could show the defence everything that you are supposed to do. Sometimes poeple can teach even if they cannot do.

Okay. Since I think Big Bird already has a job. Green or Ludwig. I wonder if either of these former Habs would want the job. They certainly knew how to play defence. IMO.

The defense in and of itself is not the biggest issue, as a group they are not great, but are serviceable.

It is the "team" defensive play that lacks. It is something that Carbo has been working on and something Koivu has said they have to get back too in interviews. That being said, snapping their fingers will not fix it, it will take a few games of really hard work.

The defense in and of itself is not the biggest issue, as a group they are not great, but are serviceable.

It is the "team" defensive play that lacks. It is something that Carbo has been working on and something Koivu has said they have to get back too in interviews. That being said, snapping their fingers will not fix it, it will take a few games of really hard work.

Carbo has made great strides as a coach but under him hard work hasn't exactly been a staple, especially of late.He hasn't typically coached well through adversity (06-07, the playoffs last year) and if we hit a bump in the road we could very well sink with his inexperience back there.

Carbo has made great strides as a coach but under him hard work hasn't exactly been a staple, especially of late.He hasn't typically coached well through adversity (06-07, the playoffs last year) and if we hit a bump in the road we could very well sink with his inexperience back there.

I really question where you get any of this from.

Carbo's main sticking point with this team from the time he came was their work ethic.

Last season's regular season success was a direct result of the work ethic Carbo required from his players.

Last season in the playoffs was not a result of poor work ethic.

Inexperience, fear, and a lot of bad luck.......but not a lack of work ethic.......you will see the difference this playoffs.

when max and the bomb are out their skating like hell they cover other top lines quite well

Last season's regular season success was a direct result of the work ethic Carbo required from his players.

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/10667

Michel Bergeron says the Canadiens remind him of the 2006-'07 team. They don't compete. They can't play even-strength. They played with fire against the Islanders and Blue Jackets then got burned by the Leafs in a display of total domination.

• Video of that game is being studied around the league, and coaches are jotting down notes: "Harass Price", "Clog the middle and cut off the passing lanes"

• More from Bergeron: The Canadiens have "a lot of tourists." Opposing teams gain the Montreal zone as easily as "going for groceries" – nobody holds them up, nobody bothers them as they cruise past the blueline."

The result: Toronto had 41 shots, 17 missed shots and the Canadiens blocked 18. That's 76 opportunities to score. The comparable numbers for the Canadiens were 20 shots, eight muffs and 16 blocks: 44.

Michel Bergeron says the Canadiens remind him of the 2006-'07 team. They don't compete. They can't play even-strength. They played with fire against the Islanders and Blue Jackets then got burned by the Leafs in a display of total domination.

• Video of that game is being studied around the league, and coaches are jotting down notes: "Harass Price", "Clog the middle and cut off the passing lanes"

• More from Bergeron: The Canadiens have "a lot of tourists." Opposing teams gain the Montreal zone as easily as "going for groceries" – nobody holds them up, nobody bothers them as they cruise past the blueline."

The result: Toronto had 41 shots, 17 missed shots and the Canadiens blocked 18. That's 76 opportunities to score. The comparable numbers for the Canadiens were 20 shots, eight muffs and 16 blocks: 44.

post this all around the forum man it might wake some people up

This is what I am saying, Carbo goes on about the same things. You yourself had a big chuckle when Carbo wrote work hard, then work harder on the white board in the dressing room. It has been his constant battle to get the team to remember they won't win on their talent alone. He was able to get an overall better effort in those regards last season and the proof was in the standings for everyone to see. This year there are bigger challenges coming their way. This team is good enough, and the coaching is good enough, we shall overcome.

post this all around the forum man it might wake some people up

Again I protest, we have a good team, and good coaching.

We will make the required adjustments and be fine.

I wish some would wake up to those facts.