The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Carbonneau

AK-1

I give him one week, until the end of next Thursday's game against Ottawa, to get it together. Then I begin to seriously doubt him and question his ability to take this team to the Stanley Cup Final level.

I don't know that I should ask as I fear the answer, but why is that?

First off, let me just say that I have been very supportive and a fan of Carbonneau since he came. I never wanted him gone in the first year when so many did but I have doubts right now.

He has difficulty communicating with players. Is stubborn in regards to taking mid-game timeouts, changing goalies, accepting penalties which were actually proper calls. Absolutely refuses to match lines even when they are complete mismatches.

Overall, I feel that Carbo's biggest problem is his lack of attention to detail. Small things are which win games on a consistent basis and right now, we are not winning games.

Give him time, maybe a week was a spur of the moment time length, to attempt to fix the issues affecting the team right now. Since the beginning of the season, this team has not played to its potential and has yet to deliver a 60 minute effort (game against Ottawa notwithstanding). By the end of November, I want to see that this team has made progresses and has reverted back to the hard work which gave them unbelievable success last season. I won't measure his success with wins, I will measure it will the effort, the determination, the on-ice quality. This team has the skill to completely dominate games. I WANT TO SEE THAT!

And while that quote is very true, the coach has to be a catalyst and an advocator of that message. At this moment, Carbo is neither.

**Of course I can't get into the dressing room, this is just me drawing conclusions**

I said this previously...

"One area I will be looking forward to is when he can have the team truly believeing in and fully embracing what he is trying to accomplish... when we can see the team wants to go to the mat for him every game. Its not there yet, but the recent turn-around in the game Saturday bodes well IMO."

Right now I'd say they don't... they aren't... I was wrong

I said this previously...

"He did an amazing job with Kovy last year (yes he definitely played a part in Kovy's success IMO) and Koivu seems rejuvenated this year. If he can get his top players firing on all cylinders then the rest of the team will follow and we will be in for a great ride."

This is one area where there seems to be a problem... Kovy is not the main man that he was last year and Carbs is not using him that way either.

Carbonneau has to take drastic measures now. This kind of performance is unacceptable on its own, let alone coming just days after a similarly embarrassing loss to the Leafs. Whether he wants to or not, he has to start taking a more active coaching role instead of just leaving the players to work things out on their own, because it's now quite obvious that this team is not a self-motivated team and has no ability to focus and play disciplined hockey on their own.

Carbonneau has to take drastic measures now. This kind of performance is unacceptable on its own, let alone coming just days after a similarly embarrassing loss to the Leafs. Whether he wants to or not, he has to start taking a more active coaching role instead of just leaving the players to work things out on their own, because it's now quite obvious that this team is not a self-motivated team and has no ability to focus and play disciplined hockey on their own.

Guy just has to remind this group of a couple issues and set them to reality, he needs to remind them that they are the same team that battled for each other just one season ago he needs to get that feeling back in the room

Guy just has to remind this group of a couple issues and set them to reality, he needs to remind them that they are the same team that battled for each other just one season ago he needs to get that feeling back in the room

Guy doesn't have to "remind" them of anything! He "reminded" them after the second period of the game against Columbus. He "reminded" them after the Leafs' game. How often do they need to be "reminded"? :angry:

He needs to put Begin, who's eating the boards wanting to play, in the line-up.

I don't think Guy, or Bob, need to do anything drastic at all.

I think the players are the ones who have some drastic changes to make.

They are well aware of what they have to do to win, and that they will win if they do it.

No matter which way you slice it, you just can't force someone to do something they don't want to do.

They will come around.

I don't think Guy, or Bob, need to do anything drastic at all.

I think the players are the ones who have some drastic changes to make.

They are well aware of what they have to do to win, and that they will win if they do it.

No matter which way you slice it, you just can't force someone to do something they don't want to do.

They will come around.

Sometime players just stop responding to coaches. At that point there is only one solution.

No but you have to equip your roster with guys who do want to do the things it takes to be a consistent winner in this very tough league.

Really though, last year Carbo wasn't perfect and he isn't this year, he's still a young coach learning and that's fine, he'd probably tell you the samething. The major difference between this year and last year is Alex Kovalev, IMO, not even that he's playing bad, but he's not the dominant player he was at both ends of the ice last year and in all situations. He's not getting the other 2 on his line going like he did last year, he's not virtually single handly running the PP right now. If Kovalev is playing MVP caliber hockey, I think right now everything falls into place, we have 2 legitimate scoring lines, we have a top end PP ect.

I'm not blaming Alex because I think last year was a career year, but I think he was that good, and I think it kind of got people's expectations to go off the charts. I think some of our young guys like the Kostitsyns, Price/Halak, O'Byrne still have a ways to go, the consistency level just isn't there, that's the way it is with kids. Last year was a dream season, I don't think it will happen again, I just don't see us as the juggerknot people seem to think, I think we're good, but I think in any given 7 game series there are 5-7 teams in the East that could beat us (that works both ways though, we could beat them.)

The only concern I have is that our room for error is very small right now because if we go on a tail spin, it could be the difference between 4th and 8th in the East, and really the difference between where we were last year and 8th place was MVP caliber Kovalev and amazing health, otherwise it would probably be damn near another year of 6-8th place and "status quo"

Guy doesn't have to "remind" them of anything! He "reminded" them after the second period of the game against Columbus. He "reminded" them after the Leafs' game. How often do they need to be "reminded"? :angry:

JL, this is what my concerns me. Either Carbo has work to do, or this is the wrong team we've assembled, because no team should need to be reminded on such a consistent basis that they have to play hard to win.

He needs to put Begin, who's eating the boards wanting to play, in the line-up.

Begin is washed up. And even if he weren't, he is one fourth-line player. Would he have made a difference last night, the way the whole team was playing? I doubt it.

No but you have to equip your roster with guys who do want to do the things it takes to be a consistent winner in this very tough league.

Really though, last year Carbo wasn't perfect and he isn't this year, he's still a young coach learning and that's fine, he'd probably tell you the samething. The major difference between this year and last year is Alex Kovalev, IMO, not even that he's playing bad, but he's not the dominant player he was at both ends of the ice last year and in all situations. He's not getting the other 2 on his line going like he did last year, he's not virtually single handly running the PP right now. If Kovalev is playing MVP caliber hockey, I think right now everything falls into place, we have 2 legitimate scoring lines, we have a top end PP ect.

I'm not blaming Alex because I think last year was a career year, but I think he was that good, and I think it kind of got people's expectations to go off the charts. I think some of our young guys like the Kostitsyns, Price/Halak, O'Byrne still have a ways to go, the consistency level just isn't there, that's the way it is with kids. Last year was a dream season, I don't think it will happen again, I just don't see us as the juggerknot people seem to think, I think we're good, but I think in any given 7 game series there are 5-7 teams in the East that could beat us (that works both ways though, we could beat them.)

The only concern I have is that our room for error is very small right now because if we go on a tail spin, it could be the difference between 4th and 8th in the East, and really the difference between where we were last year and 8th place was MVP caliber Kovalev and amazing health, otherwise it would probably be damn near another year of 6-8th place and "status quo"

I think that's been beaten to death here. Why is Alex not on the powerplay the full two minutes? It makes no sense that he's now on the second powerplay unit. Carbo needs to put him back on the first unit and let him run the show. He also needs to move Markov back to the left point. Is it that hard to see?

I think that's been beaten to death here. Why is Alex not on the powerplay the full two minutes? It makes no sense that he's now on the second powerplay unit. Carbo needs to put him back on the first unit and let him run the show. He also needs to move Markov back to the left point. Is it that hard to see?

When Kovalev gets out there on the PP he looks disoriented anyway, so whatever. I agree on Markov, I understand the experiment and the reasoning behind it but it's getting please close to write off time.

That's a major role of the coach, no? If the team has all the talent and ability and can motivate themselves 100% of the time, what purpose does a coach serve? ;)

I agree he does not need to motivate them, he needs to discipline them. I am extremely impressed with Ron Wilson's approach in dealing with the Leafs. You play terrible, you do not play. Simple, straightforward and it sends the message poor performance will not be tolerated. If I were him I would bench the following and either run without them for a game or make the call to Hamilton.

Plekanec and Komisarek - replaced with Chipchura and one of Boullion, Dandenault, Brisebois.

O'Byrne - Sent down to the minors and replaced with a rookie who might actually play without costing us.

Such drastic measures need not be done against a team like Detroit or New York. We can take advantage of playing a low end team and make such a statement; either you play up to your capabilities or you can spent time collecting Gatorade for those who do.

I know Carbonneau doesn't like to deviate from his game plans, but he has got to figure out a way to turn this team around fast. I've said it before: good coaches don't wait for things to go completely off the rails before they make changes. I don't mind losses. Losses are part of playing hockey. But over the next ten days, there had better not be another game like this loss to Boston. Not a single one. If we stink it up again in that time frame, something is horribly wrong with this team. For his own sake, I hope Carbo does something, because if the team keeps playing like this, it is going to fall out of contention very quickly and his own job will be at risk. It's unfair, but the old adage holds: it's always easier to fire a coach than trade 24 players. We simply can't afford to have a season-long debacle in our centennial.

Someone posted on Boone's blog that this year's Canadiens look a lot like last year's Senators: tons of talent but zero work ethic or passion. That is a very scary thought.

I know Carbonneau doesn't like to deviate from his game plans, but he has got to figure out a way to turn this team around fast. I've said it before: good coaches don't wait for things to go completely off the rails before they make changes. I don't mind losses. Losses are part of playing hockey. But over the next ten days, there had better not be another game like this loss to Boston. Not a single one. If we stink it up again in that time frame, something is horribly wrong with this team. For his own sake, I hope Carbo does something, because if the team keeps playing like this, it is going to fall out of contention very quickly and his own job will be at risk. It's unfair, but the old adage holds: it's always easier to fire a coach than trade 24 players. We simply can't afford to have a season-long debacle in our centennial.

Someone posted on Boone's blog that this year's Canadiens look a lot like last year's Senators: tons of talent but zero work ethic or passion. That is a very scary thought.

I'm with you, the losses don't even tell the whole story because a lot of the wins have had similar efforts with us getting a win through some nice bounces, or some great goaltending. The fact is, this team looks like the 06-07 Canadiens not the 07-08 team.

Maybe getting those wins so easily was the problem, we developed shortcuts, just like the Sens of last year, all the talent in the world and they started what? 15-2? without breaking a sweat. Yeah, well reality eventually set in, and it's going set in here too and as Ottawa can attest to, once you start going down that hill it's hard to get back up.

I'm with you, the losses don't even tell the whole story because a lot of the wins have had similar efforts with us getting a win through some nice bounces, or some great goaltending. The fact is, this team looks like the 06-07 Canadiens not the 07-08 team.

And unlike the 06-07 Canadiens, we don't even have a good power play to make opponents pay for taking liberties with our players.

Maybe getting those wins so easily was the problem, we developed shortcuts, just like the Sens of last year, all the talent in the world and they started what? 15-2? without breaking a sweat. Yeah, well reality eventually set in, and it's going set in here too and as Ottawa can attest to, once you start going down that hill it's hard to get back up.

Yes, most of our wins haven't exactly been convincing. I'd actually prefer a losing record but a better team effort, because then it's just a question of getting the bounces. But like you said in the other thread, if this team thinks that a single game of hard work (against Ottawa) is enough, this is going to be a trainwreck of a season.

Yes, most of our wins haven't exactly been convincing. I'd actually prefer a losing record but a better team effort, because then it's just a question of getting the bounces. But like you said in the other thread, if this team thinks that a single game of hard work (against Ottawa) is enough, this is going to be a trainwreck of a season.

Winning games with a lazy effort is good for the standings, but horrible for the players, especially younger ones. How many of us can honestly say at our job we do more work than we need to to accomplish the same task? We work as hard as we need to. And unfortunately our talent is harming us in that players know even if they go out and give it 50% they still have a good chance of winning. Of course, this only works for so long, as the Sens proved last year.

A mixture of being declared favourites and winning games has made the team cocky. Our players think they don't need to work at 100% game in, game out. Our coach apparantly feels this team is so good we don't even need to match lines! Everyone from the coaches to the players, maybe even management, needs to stop buying into the hype and start working the way they worked last year.