The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

College Sports

Habs-Benny

In a game from the Arena League, West Vrigina 70 Clemson 33 in the Orange Bowl. At one time, it was tied at 14-14. West Virgina would set a bowl record for points in a half with 49 and the final total came six days after Baylor ran up 67 points against Washington in the Alamo Bowl. Washington got 56.

Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno spoke to the Washington Post on hte allegations against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky saying he didn't know exactly how to deal with the situation. So he backed away and turned it over to people he thought would have the expertise to handle the problem. It backfired on him.

• 4 weeks later...

Authorities have arrested 17 TCU students including 4 football players after a six month sting on charges of arranging sales of marijuana after class to undercover police officers. The players toled police most of the team falied a surprise drug test two weeks earlier. Those arrested were caught making hand-to-hand sales of marijuana, cocaine, ecstacy, and prescription drugs to undercover officers. An expected result when boosters don't pay them enough.

• 1 month later...

Arkansas may be looking for a new football coach as Bobby Petrino was involved in a motorcycle accident and conveniently failing to notify the athletic department that he had a female passenger riding with him. Petrino, who is married with four children, has admitted in the past to an inappropriate relationship with this passenger. He is on paid administrative leave.

I was listening to TSN 990 last night and they were talking about what happened in Arkansas.

Imo, if he were going to be fired, he'd be fired already. They've suspended him WITH pay. A winning team makes money for the school and attracts other young players, this coach has done very well. For that reason I don't see him losing his job.

I feel it's more a scare tactic. Suspend him to show they're serious and make him sweat a lil.

I was listening to TSN 990 last night and they were talking about what happened in Arkansas.

Imo, if he were going to be fired, he'd be fired already. They've suspended him WITH pay. A winning team makes money for the school and attracts other young players, this coach has done very well. For that reason I don't see him losing his job.

I feel it's more a scare tactic. Suspend him to show they're serious and make him sweat a lil.

Petrino is out at Arkansas after allegations of hiring his mistress for a fundraising job and handing her $20,000 surfaced. While at Louisville, Petrino had interviewed for several jobs including Auburn and lying about it before taking the job with the Atlanta Falcons. He then left that job for the spot at Arkansas after denying he was leaving the Falcons. The Arkansas board of trustees should have known what they were getting. They were either not paying attention or they are just like Petrino who a writer at SI.com described as a lying weasel.