Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmash

Captaincy And Alternate Captaincy Discussion 2008-09

84 posts in this topic

While I hope that we can have a year without too much controversy, if you want to suggest current or future captains and alternate captains of the Canadiens, this is the place.

Team captains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens

I always thought Kovalev should be captain. As I realized now, I think Saku Koivu should be. I was just so impressed with Kovalev that I didn't realize what Koivu has done for us. I hope he signs another contract.

look at that list, that recent span from 94-99. what a debacle.

anyway i dont think theres much debate over saku having the C....i mean im sure theres some members whod give it to someone else.... but you guys are crazy and should be isolated and examined by professionals :P

anyway i think most people agree on the C but not on the A....im still not sold on higgins being an alternate, i think it would be much better suited to one of the 3 d, markov komi or even hamrlik. theres no represenation from the D which is odd, and furthermore all 3 of those guys are much more consistent players than higgins. nonetheless higgins is still a hard worker and mostly responsible player, so its not like its outrageous that he has an A.....but id definetly have given it to markov or komi, even hammer instead. thoughts?

Team captains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens

Thanks very much for posting that list. It's super informative! All that's holding Koivu back from being one of the great Canadiens captains is that Cup. I sure hope this year is THE year.

I think we are fine with Koivu as captin and Kovalev and Higgins as alternates.

As far as future cadinates for a letter are consirned, I need look no further then Mike Konisarek.

I'd give Higgins's 'A' to Komisarek if I could, but obviously you don't want to alienate players. For my money, though, Komisarek is a real team leader and deserves the 'A' as much as anyone. Saku is obviously fine as captain, and Kovalev demonstrated his leadership last year through 82 games.

I'd give Higgins's 'A' to Komisarek if I could, but obviously you don't want to alienate players. For my money, though, Komisarek is a real team leader and deserves the 'A' as much as anyone. Saku is obviously fine as captain, and Kovalev demonstrated his leadership last year through 82 games.

I don't disagree with you Weep but I wouldn't do it just because of the negitive effect it may have on Higgins. I think Higgins is a good leader as well. I like Komi better but to go as far as to strip the A for Higgins I would need to see more wrong with him which I don't. We are fortunate to have so many possbiley candiates for letters on this team. We have a great group of guys who seem to be comited to the ulitimate goal and buy into it by helping each other and leading in some way. It seems as the team has bought in to Carbos system as well as the words above the locker room door.

Its too bad we are not allowed 5 As lol. Komi will get his letter in time for sure I am not sure how Gainey brings back all of Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins and Komisarek next year especially since he has to worry about Tanguay and Plekanec as well.

I wonder why the organization can't make it clear to the players that as the season ends your "A" is officially removed and potential assistant captains will be reevaluated at the beginning of the following season. It might be cool to have two different assistants for away and home games, thus allowing us to have 1 captain (Koivu) and 4 alternates.

HOME:

Mike Komisarek

Alexei Kovalev

AWAY:

Chris Higgins

Andrei Markov

The way I would like to see it is this, the captain should have a good work ethis on the ice and be able to rally the troops if need be in the locker-room. The alternates should have similiar qualities, sort of like captains-in-training. :P

I hated this thread last season....let's hope it can be better this year.

HEY!!!! :o HIGH FIVE!!!

(I agree)

I hated this thread last season....let's hope it can be better this year.

I did too! :rolleyes:

And heck, I made the bloody thing. It quickly got taken in the direction of "Should Koivu be captain?" Which was a bad direction, if you ask me. Hopefully this season it can be better.

HOME:

Captain: Saku koivu

A:Mike Komisarek

A:Alexei Kovalev

AWAY:

A:Chris Higgins

A:Andrei Markov

I like this...

HOME:

A:Mike Komisarek

A:Alexei Kovalev

AWAY:

A:Chris Higgins

A:Andrei Markov

I like this...

That sounds pretty reasonable, although I might substitute Plekanec for Komisarek (or maybe Higgins), Markov, Kovalev and Saku are unquestionable.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Koivu tie Jean Beliveau for longest-serving captain in Habs' history after this year?

This is Saku's team thats not even a debate

Komisarek should flat out have one of the A's. but i believe komisarek will be the next captain of this team when Saku calls it quits.

as for people saying that there are many candidates for letters on this team i disagree, Komisarek,Hamrlik,Begin are the only guys that i would consider for letters. Tanguay,Markov and those guys arent letter guys imo

Komisarek should flat out have one of the A's. but i believe komisarek will be the next captain of this team when Saku calls it quits.

as for people saying that there are many candidates for letters on this team i disagree, Komisarek,Hamrlik,Begin are the only guys that i would consider for letters. Tanguay,Markov and those guys arent letter guys imo

I agree with Komisarek getting an A and maybe even Hammer but not Begin. Komi, like Saku go all out every game and so does Higgins. I'd leave things as they are with the sole exception of giving an A to Komi as well. Aren't you allowed to have 3 assistant captains?

I wonder why the organization can't make it clear to the players that as the season ends your "A" is officially removed and potential assistant captains will be reevaluated at the beginning of the following season. It might be cool to have two different assistants for away and home games, thus allowing us to have 1 captain (Koivu) and 4 alternates.

HOME:

Mike Komisarek

Alexei Kovalev

AWAY:

Chris Higgins

Andrei Markov

The Sabres had a rotating captaincy last year, moving the 'C' from player to player on a monthly basis.

I think moving the alternate captaincy around robs the team of a consistent identity. When I think of my captain and my atlernates I want them to be rocks, leading the team day in and day out. Moving the nomimations around is untenable in my mind.

I've always disliked this type of thread becuase midway through the season it usually turns into the Koivu bashing thread.

With that said, until Saku is no longer a Hab, or retired the "C" belongs to that man. He's carried this team and stuck with this team thruogh thick and thin. He's a huge motivation and a true leader.

IMHO, Koivu does a fine job of captaining. Who else could you give the 'C' too? Komi, Higgins and Latts are too young. Kovy is way to inconsistent <last year was an oddity for him> and Lang is too new. Koivus our man, and as someone already stated, hes stuck w/ us through thick and thin.

I can't believe you used 'Lats' and 'Captain' in the same sentence.

:blink:

I disagree. I think Andrei Markov definitely IS assistant captain material. As long as there are team leaders who are vocal I think you can also have captains who are quiet, and who lead by example. Markov would provide a good balance of captaincy to players like Koivu and Higgins/Komisarek/Kovalev, etc.

Markov is a guy who likes to fly under the radar and have as little confrontations as he can, the guy has mad skill but shouldnt have a letter on his jersey

Markov is a guy who likes to fly under the radar and have as little confrontations as he can, the guy has mad skill but shouldnt have a letter on his jersey

I agree... Markov isn't captain material in my opinion, he's a lil too hard headed and comes across as having a superiority complex. He's a great player, we're lucky to have him on the blueline, but you don't want him in he "C" or "A" postion. I remember a game last year, he was on the bench, Jarvis was trying to give him some advice and he just sat there, chewing on his mouth guard, rolling his eyes. He lacks a lil respect when it comes to authority, you can't put someone like that in a position of authority.