Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmash

Captaincy And Alternate Captaincy Discussion 2008-09

84 posts in this topic

I think that once you have chosen to give a letter to a player, it should only be taken from that player if that player steps out of line or out of their role, such as creating dissension or failing to lead by example.

That means Koivu - Higgins - Kovalev retain their letters until such a time, or until they leave this club. If you are going to take a letter away, you are going to affect that player emotionally and destroy their confidence, so there better be a real good reason for that player to not be in a leadership position anymore, regardless of who else is ready to take on the role.

Koivu is a true captain and I will stand on a chair and salute him any day. (Bonus points for understanding the reference)

Kovalev has been an inspiration and teacher to our youth and seems to truly enjoy the role of mentor.

Higgins is still a mystery to me. I can understand the value of a calm presence, but I don't feel that is enough to earn him this honor. The only explanation I can assume, is that he is an intelligent and vocal presence in the locker room.

As far as potential replacements go for the future :

Plekanec (A then C) : He is a leader by example. He has an excellent work ethic and still finds extra when we need something special. His ability to get a first goal, SH goal, PPG, tying goal, etc. is almost uncanny. He is still coming into his own, but a couple of years of maturity will make him the most logical choice, imo and he can use those years to work on his verbal skills and overall charisma.

Komi (A) : Arguably our most charismatic player. A large, tough, aggressive, bear of a man, but also a good natured and approachable player. He only has one gear and it's one gear higher than most players. A steady, consistent and hard working presence on the back end which will inspire and intimidate alike. If he works with our youth to refine their defensive play, we will have a steady crop of defensive and two way players for years to come.

Lapierre and SK could turn into potential A's, but they require years of maturity and development before either could be considered.

One thing we have to consider is that our captain(s) will likely need to learn and exhibit some proficiency with the french language. If that isn't Pleks or Komi, our third A will likely come from our crop of rising francophone talent, to appease the Quebec media and fan base alike and that is not a bad thing considering our club's roots, heritage and tradition.

Of that list, I'll say cross Price out right away: since hockey does not make the captain purely honourary, the captain has duties to perform on the ice and bench that he can't do from the end of the rink. If he can't do the job, don't give it to him.

Chipchura, I guess it depends when Koivu leaves, if it's not for 3-5 more years, maybe. Personally, I don't really care for making checking line players captains, just because I think you want the player to be someone your young player should strive to be, and you want most to be top line players. Many will disagree, it's just my personal opinion.

Higgins wouldn't be bad. The only thing I don't like is he's still fairly young and I don't like in interviews how he never seems to take responsibility for his own poor play at times.

Komisarek is my favourite choice on that list. He's got the most experience, he does everything you'd expect out of a defenseman, he sacrifices his body on the ice, is a good speaker, and overall is the type of player I think you want as captain.

But ... I think there is a clear prejudice here, and in general when talking about captains, against European players. Maybe it's because they don't speak english so well at first, maybe it's because they are thought of as 'soft', maybe because they don't give as great of an itnerview, I'm not sure. But for whatever reason, we don't think of our young Europeans as leaders. For example, people always say "Markov's not a leader" - yet for whatever reason Carbo has made him the alternate-alternate captain. Relating to the original post, in a few years I think someone like Sergei Kostitsyn could be on that list. He never backs down one the ice, is a hard worker, and is someone who I think younger players could potentially strive to be in the future. He kind of reminds me of Koivu in a way. Right now his English isn't so good, but that will probably improve, yet no one ever mentions him as a potential captain, even though he has more NHL games than Chipchura.

people dont really mention Sergei as captain in the future because him and komisarek are going to be apart of the same era and most see Komisarek as the next captain for reasons we all know, but i would pin an A on sergei's jersey without issue because he is a fierce competitor. we will have great leaders in the future

I think that once you have chosen to give a letter to a player, it should only be taken from that player if that player steps out of line or out of their role, such as creating dissension or failing to lead by example.

That means Koivu - Higgins - Kovalev retain their letters until such a time, or until they leave this club. If you are going to take a letter away, you are going to affect that player emotionally and destroy their confidence, so there better be a real good reason for that player to not be in a leadership position anymore, regardless of who else is ready to take on the role.

I totally agree, my thoughts are completely based on the scenario that will eventually be presented when Saku leaves. My hope is that that won't happen for a long time, and until he has at least 2 or 3 rings on his Finnish fingers!

Relating to the original post, in a few years I think someone like Sergei Kostitsyn could be on that list. He never backs down one the ice, is a hard worker, and is someone who I think younger players could potentially strive to be in the future. He kind of reminds me of Koivu in a way. Right now his English isn't so good, but that will probably improve, yet no one ever mentions him as a potential captain, even though he has more NHL games than Chipchura.

Great point. I'm guessing that not many people pegged Saku as a captain when he first arrived in Montreal also. Now look at him, he's going to be the longest serving captain in team history.

Sergei as a captain? I don't know... :huh: He's still too much of a young boy to be even considered for the role, in my opinion. I mean, sure he competes hard, but players like Latendresse, Sergei K., Lapierre, O'Byrne, are too immature at this point in time to be even regarded as future captain material. They are young boys, living the dream, still trying to take it all in. Hardly the maturity you look for in a future captain. :) I can't really see anyone who's fit to be captain of Montreal once Saku leaves, at this juncture. For instance, if for some reason Saku is not resigned this coming summer, I can't see anyone else (Kovalev, or otherwise) who I would regard as, "Fit," to wear the 'C' afterwards. Koivu has been too much the perfect captain for our team to see anyone else as good enough, thus far. Komisarek? Not experienced enough. Plekanec? Maybe an assistant captain, down the road. Kovalev? Not disciplined enough when it matters the most. Higgins? Also, in my mind, too young right now. We have plenty of faces who could wear the 'A', but is anyone REALLY deserving of the 'C' after Koivu? :unsure:

Sergei as a captain? I don't know... :huh: He's still too much of a young boy to be even considered for the role, in my opinion. I mean, sure he competes hard, but players like Latendresse, Sergei K., Lapierre, O'Byrne, are too immature at this point in time to be even regarded as future captain material. They are young boys, living the dream, still trying to take it all in. Hardly the maturity you look for in a future captain. :) I can't really see anyone who's fit to be captain of Montreal once Saku leaves, at this juncture. For instance, if for some reason Saku is not resigned this coming summer, I can't see anyone else (Kovalev, or otherwise) who I would regard as, "Fit," to wear the 'C' afterwards. Koivu has been too much the perfect captain for our team to see anyone else as good enough, thus far. Komisarek? Not experienced enough. Plekanec? Maybe an assistant captain, down the road. Kovalev? Not disciplined enough when it matters the most. Higgins? Also, in my mind, too young right now. We have plenty of faces who could wear the 'A', but is anyone REALLY deserving of the 'C' after Koivu? :unsure:

We have no idea when Koivu would leave, obviously I wouldn't make Sergei captain next offseason, but if Koivu is around for 5 more seasons, he will no longer be inexperienced. My point was moreso that Chipchura and Price were included yet not a single European was despite our team being made up of mainly Europeans (not that I was blaming the poster, I just feel there is a bias in general when discussing Captains).

That said, I don't think you can really say 'no one can replace Saku'. I guess though, I should admit I don't really think it matters all that mch. Players will lead regardless of if they have a letter on their jersey, young players will look up to veterans, guys will give speeches. The reason the Vancouver thing isn't completely nuts is I don't think making someone captain changes all that much. Speaking to the refs isn't some great skill. I really think captaincy is over thought and overrated.

The reason the Vancouver thing isn't completely nuts is I don't think making someone captain changes all that much. Speaking to the refs isn't some great skill. I really think captaincy is over thought and overrated.

I can see your point of view, but I think that the captaincy is still important and not everyone can do it. Though largely symbolic, you do need to have a level head, be able to communicate, and it does set the tone for the character of the franchise. Just imagine if Dallas chose someone like Sean Avery as captain?

I can see your point of view, but I think that the captaincy is still important and not everyone can do it. Though largely symbolic, you do need to have a level head, be able to communicate, and it does set the tone for the character of the franchise. Just imagine if Dallas chose someone like Sean Avery as captain?

But even so, the players will know who the real leaders in the room are. In a tight environment like a hockey team, the coach can't just give someone a letter and all of a sudden everyone looks up to them.

Those letters are important. They demand attention and respect. It is a seal of approval from the coaching staff that says to all the other players, "See this guy? Be like him."

Those letters are important. They demand attention and respect. It is a seal of approval from the coaching staff that says to all the other players, "See this guy? Be like him."

Attention - maybe

Respect - respect can't be demanded, it has to be earned on an individual basis.

And if all of us who have probably never been in the Habs locker room can sit here and think we know who the leaders are, I'm sure the players who are there every day don't need the coaching staff to spell it out for them.

Komisarek not experienced enough? this will be his 5th season and he will likely have a few more before taking it over

exactly

For many teams, the captain is picked by the players not the coach... It is more a show of respect by others on your team. I can definitely see Komi with an A and maybe someday the C. "See this guy. Be like Mike"

For many teams, the captain is picked by the players not the coach... It is more a show of respect by others on your team. I can definitely see Komi with an A and maybe someday the C. "See this guy. Be like Mike"

if everyone on our team were like mike we wouldn't be scored against anymore.. there'd be a shot blocking frency everytime the habs play :D

honestly though, i think once koivu retires (as a hab, *crossfingers*), either komisarek or higgins will be given the "C".. until then they will be experienced enough and i think they both have enough leadership in them to take that role.

Komisarek not experienced enough? this will be his 5th season and he will likely have a few more before taking it over

Hey... I LOVE Komisarek! However, after 5 seasons in the NHL he still carries about him an aura of childish exuberance. When he does an interview he sounds like a kid in a candy store, and I'm not sure if that's a display of the level of maturity I am looking for in my captain. This is just a personal opinion, but I want someone who sounds smart, has great all-around hockey sense, is cool and collected, and... well... scores the big goal. :) I would be afraid that Mike Komisarek would get eaten alive by the media in Montreal.

Hey... I LOVE Komisarek! However, after 5 seasons in the NHL he still carries about him an aura of childish exuberance. When he does an interview he sounds like a kid in a candy store, and I'm not sure if that's a display of the level of maturity I am looking for in my captain. This is just a personal opinion, but I want someone who sounds smart, has great all-around hockey sense, is cool and collected, and... well... scores the big goal. :) I would be afraid that Mike Komisarek would get eaten alive by the media in Montreal.

I haven't seen any negative immaturity about him though. Such as whining and throwing tantrums. I'll agree that he comes across as an easy going, fun loving guy, but I wouldn't necessarily call that childish. I might call that enjoying life and a practice of balance to offset his aggressive and intimidating on ice persona. If you work hard, you get to play hard and I have no doubt that Komi does both.

I would peg Komi with smart, hockey sense and cool collectiveness. I get the impression that he is a pretty smart guy. He has tremendous hockey sense for his position and role, he may not have great offensive vision, but he blocks alot of shots and lines up a lot of hits for good reason. He always seems to maintain his poise and composure on the ice. Sure, there may be scrums or the like and some harsh words exchanged on ocassion, but players who involve themselves in those situations often make a stronger case for captaincy. As far as scoring the big goal, he works to prevent the big goals and that is more than a fair tradeoff. Scoring the big goal means making a 1 point difference on the scoreboard in the occasional game. Komi's work potentially prevents 5+ points on the scoreboard, on a routine basis.

The media can eat anyone it wants to alive. It is a powerful, relentless and unstoppable force, often unscrupulous and/or manipulative. Show me someone who will not or can not be eaten alive by the english media and you would be wrong. Show me someone who will not or can not be eaten alive by the french media and you would be grossly mistaken. ;)

I haven't seen any negative immaturity about him though. Such as whining and throwing tantrums. I'll agree that he comes across as an easy going, fun loving guy, but I wouldn't necessarily call that childish. I might call that enjoying life and a practice of balance to offset his aggressive and intimidating on ice persona. If you work hard, you get to play hard and I have no doubt that Komi does both.

I would peg Komi with smart, hockey sense and cool collectiveness. I get the impression that he is a pretty smart guy. He has tremendous hockey sense for his position and role, he may not have great offensive vision, but he blocks alot of shots and lines up a lot of hits for good reason. He always seems to maintain his poise and composure on the ice. Sure, there may be scrums or the like and some harsh words exchanged on ocassion, but players who involve themselves in those situations often make a stronger case for captaincy. As far as scoring the big goal, he works to prevent the big goals and that is more than a fair tradeoff. Scoring the big goal means making a 1 point difference on the scoreboard in the occasional game. Komi's work potentially prevents 5+ points on the scoreboard, on a routine basis.

The media can eat anyone it wants to alive. It is a powerful, relentless and unstoppable force, often unscrupulous and/or manipulative. Show me someone who will not or can not be eaten alive by the english media and you would be wrong. Show me someone who will not or can not be eaten alive by the french media and you would be grossly mistaken. ;)

He definitely doesn't display any negative immaturity, and perhaps you are correct that his off-ice demeanour is a delicate balance between his on-ice toughness! I would love to see him wear an "A" before being considered for a "C" though.

He definitely doesn't display any negative immaturity, and perhaps you are correct that his off-ice demeanour is a delicate balance between his on-ice toughness! I would love to see him wear an "A" before being considered for a "C" though.

No argument there. I don't agree with anyone wearing the C until they have served as A. I see Pleks wearing the C down the road anyway and already said he should be given an A first. Whether it will be Higgin's A or Kovy's A, we should know this season. Assuming Komi doesn't get the first one and that both of them re-sign here.

No argument there. I don't agree with anyone wearing the C until they have served as A. I see Pleks wearing the C down the road anyway and already said he should be given an A first. Whether it will be Higgin's A or Kovy's A, we should know this season. Assuming Komi doesn't get the first one and that both of them re-sign here.

I agree about Plekanec deserving an "A" sooner rather than later. Especially since he's quickly turning into the offensive (and, heck, defensive) face of the team. He also seems willing to talk to the media, and criticize his own poor play when he needs to be better. He may be more of a silent leader than some other candidates, but he definitely deserves an "A" sometime down the road. I would, almost, be willing to give him Higgins' "A" now, since I feel Higgins was given the letter prematurely. But, hey, that's just me.

Kovy and Tangs would both be better captains; but they'll never demote Saks

Wow. Just wow. Tanguay has played exactly two games for the Habs and you think he'd be a better captain than Saku. Based on what? :blink: :blink:

Saku has a great game, generates 3 assists, and leads the charge while his line conspires to put up 10 points total on the night, and yet I see people saying others on the team are more deserving of the 'C'.

What in God's name does he have to do to be a good captain? Bring peace to the Middle East?

Wow. Just wow. Tanguay has played exactly two games for the Habs and you think he'd be a better captain than Saku. Based on what? :blink::blink:

Saku has a great game, generates 3 assists, and leads the charge while his line conspires to put up 10 points total on the night, and yet I see people saying others on the team are more deserving of the 'C'.

What in God's name does he have to do to be a good captain? Bring peace to the Middle East?

Unfortunately that wouldn't be enough for some. What's worse then that? Wait and see what happens if he resigns with us next year.

I'm not sure what is the big deal with letters. You can lead without letteres and a lot of players have done that already in the first two games. This team will have a lot of leaders. I'm just hoping there is enough room for them all and that they all can feel like an important part of the team.

I agree... Markov isn't captain material in my opinion, he's a lil too hard headed and comes across as having a superiority complex. He's a great player, we're lucky to have him on the blueline, but you don't want him in he "C" or "A" postion. I remember a game last year, he was on the bench, Jarvis was trying to give him some advice and he just sat there, chewing on his mouth guard, rolling his eyes. He lacks a lil respect when it comes to authority, you can't put someone like that in a position of authority.

markov is still not fluent in english either. Thats one reason he seems to be off somewhere else when they are telling him stuff. He "hears" them but there is a good chance he actually doesn't under stand what they are saying.

There should be no discussion on who should be captain...Koivu earned it and deserves it now until he retires, or leaves.

As for assistant, there are a lot of candidates, but I would have to say Kovalev and Komi

Wow. Just wow. Tanguay has played exactly two games for the Habs and you think he'd be a better captain than Saku. Based on what? :blink: :blink:

LOL!

Fans here are ridiculous sometimes...If Tanguay or Lang dont score for 2 games everyone will say...damn, that gainey he brought in another soft player who's crumbling like samsanov and blah blah blah...

Koivu is the ultimate captain because players in OTHER dressing rooms even respect him. He has led through the roughest years in Habs history and deserves to carry the CUP first when the team finally wins it. Nobody else on the roster besides Brisebois even comes close to his tenure with the Habs. He's a warrior and true captain and I have no clue when the morons in the media and fanbase will realize it.

Kovalev gets an 'A' out of respect for his experience and recognition as best player on the roster.

Higgins 'A' is because he has the highest IQ on the roster and is good with the media and is the leader of the next generation. Will be next captain.

Komisarek should probably have an A instead of Markov right now, but our long serving re-signed All-star defenceman deserves recognition and a nudge from management to take on a bigger role in the room.

Down the road (3 years): Higgins 'C', Komisarek 'A', Markov 'A' (assuming Koivu and Kovy are retired or gone)

The letters are all appropriate! Can we get back to important matters like kicking the Flyers A** ?!?!?!?!