Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmash

Captaincy And Alternate Captaincy Discussion 2008-09

84 posts in this topic

Hey... I LOVE Komisarek! However, after 5 seasons in the NHL he still carries about him an aura of childish exuberance. When he does an interview he sounds like a kid in a candy store, and I'm not sure if that's a display of the level of maturity I am looking for in my captain. This is just a personal opinion, but I want someone who sounds smart, has great all-around hockey sense, is cool and collected, and... well... scores the big goal. :) I would be afraid that Mike Komisarek would get eaten alive by the media in Montreal.

the actions he takes on the ice are why he should be the next captain, year after year he is at the top of the league in hits and blocked shots

did koivu retire? kovalev traded?

this shouldnt be a discussion, we arent the sabres or the canucks.

What?

And why do people think it is that important to be able to please the media in order to be a captain? IMO a captain should just always bring his A-game and be respected by his teammates.

I agree, the media can easily translate the captains words, put subtitles on their program, or get another player on the team (including Carbo) to translate, the most important characteristics of a captain is being a leader and set a good example for the other players. Saying that someone can't be a captain because they don't speak another language is like saying 'You're not allowed in this country because your hair is _____ and your skin colour is ____'

At the moment, we already have a fine captain who will (hopefully) be with this team until he retires, which will probably be quite a few years from now. As for a future captaincy, I'm not sure who I would like to be captain. The roster will be quite different by the time Koivu retires.

markov is still not fluent in english either. Thats one reason he seems to be off somewhere else when they are telling him stuff. He "hears" them but there is a good chance he actually doesn't under stand what they are saying.

I think there's more to it than that... He rolls his eyes when being given constructive criticism. Make him captain and the rest of the team will be doing the same thing, every time they're told to do something by the coaching staff. Koivu is our captain because he leads by example, he takes garbage from the media, smiles and goes out and still has a helluva game.

Someone mentioned before that the team usually chooses their captain... It's the right move, they (the team) have chosen this player to lead them. He hasn't been put there by the coaching staff and told the rest of the team to listen to him. As young and as prematurely Higgins received the "A", I can honestly see him going on to be captain. He seems to be respected by his team mates, he'll take @%$# from the media and humbly admits when he hasn't played up to form. Like I said before, a good captain leads by example.

As much as I like Kovy, I don't see him being captain. He's too moody and his leadership skills seem to depend on how his game is going. The year he played with samy, he would've never been thought of as captain material. We all know that samy caused all sorts of problems on the team. Despite all that, whining, complaining and only giving 50% isn't what makes a good leader. If he'd of still gone out there (despite being teamed up with samy) and still given his 110%, then yeah, I'd say he's team leader material.

As for Komi, give him a few more years to mature and he will be sporting the "A".

I do think that having one french player as "A" wouldn't be a bad idea... We have a lot of young french players coming up who need a leader. In that case, I say it should go to Begin. He gives 110% just about every night, would stop a puck with his teeth, if he thought it would win the game... Then, before the doc has him properly stitched up, he'd be back on the ice playing the next shift. No, he's not a big goal scorer, he doesn't rack up tones of points for the team, but I do think he has leadership skills. There's a reason why Lats was put on Begins line when he first came up; 1 reason was to toughen him up, 2 was to pair him up with a leader who could speak french and 3 because he's always been very good to the young guys coming up.

He doesn't have the same skill that Koivu does, but they have similar goals and drive. The team comes 1st, even before their own health. Yeah they often get hurt, but that's because they sacrifice their bodies for the good of the team.

Oh, and Tanguay might be a good "A" in the future... Let's just let him play a few seasons with the Habs before we start discussing it though.

Who was wearing the "A" while Higgins was out of the lineup?

Markov?

From what I saw it has been Markov.

And what a great start for Markov this season