Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wayne-1

(bob) Cole's Role Shrinking? Future With Hnic Uncertain

13 posts in this topic

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2008...791281-sun.html

Cole's role shrinking?

Future with HNIC uncertain

By MIKE ZEISBERGER -- Sun Media

Harry Neale has not talked to Bob Cole in the past few days.

No matter.

Upon hearing rumblings that his long-time Hockey Night In Canada partner would be usurped by Jim Hughson as the No. 1 play-by-play man on Saturday nights for this upcoming season, Neale was not surprised.

He has, after all, seen this scenario play out before.

It happened exactly one year ago. And the man whose workload was cut was none other than Neale himself.

"Pretty much the same thing happened to me," Neale said yesterday from his Buffalo-area home. "I received a call from (CBC Sports head) Scott Moore, who told me my duties would be reduced."

Neale estimates he did only about 12 regular-season games on HNIC last season.

Neale has lost count of how many games he and Cole called over the two-plus decades they worked together in the booth with HNIC.

"He is a Canadian broadcast legend," Neale said. "I used to tell Bob that if the players took the game as seriously as he did, the games would be much better.

"He taught me to take the job seriously. My duties were to try and get him to laugh by the time the night was over."

Neale said Cole has not personally told him of any impending changes.

"But where there is smoke, there usually is fire," he added. "It might not be over, but you can hear the alarm ringing.

"Whatever happens, he has been one of the best. The excitement and drama that he has brought to households for decades is immeasurable."

- 30 -

The time has definately come.

Cole had a wonderful broadcasting voice and did a good job for a long time.

Recently, not so much. You could tell that age was taking it's toll.

Good luck to him.

:angry: First,we lose our long-time HNIC hockey theme,thanks alot. Now,another long-time canadien tradition that we grew up with is on the way out,what a shame.Wishing you bob all the best in the future,we will miss you. Harry will undoubtly miss you ,good luck.

Bob Cole leaving???all I can say is "About time!"...the guy had a great run but it's over..Hughey is way ahead at this point in terms of quickness...old Bob has lost a few steps....he constantly makes mistakes....not that I care I've got RDS but had that HNIC here in London Ont crammed down my throat for too many years to actually care who broadcasts the Leaf games....Neale as well..it's over boys ...start doing banquets or something..let someone else Kiss the Laffs behind for a few years..give the "Nation" a new slant this year because something has to take their minds off of just how bad they're going to be 2008/2009,2009/2010,2011/2012,2013/2014,2015/2016.......that's at least a 5 year plan if anyone is counting

Bob Cole leaving???all I can say is "About time!"...the guy had a great run but it's over..Hughey is way ahead at this point in terms of quickness...old Bob has lost a few steps....he constantly makes mistakes....not that I care I've got RDS but had that HNIC here in London Ont crammed down my throat for too many years to actually care who broadcasts the Leaf games....Neale as well..it's over boys ...start doing banquets or something..let someone else Kiss the Laffs behind for a few years..give the "Nation" a new slant this year because something has to take their minds off of just how bad they're going to be 2008/2009,2009/2010,2011/2012,2013/2014,2015/2016.......that's at least a 5 year plan if anyone is counting

I third that

Cant honestly say that i'm upset. Too many times the guy couldnt see who was passing to whom during the game. A few times he would call out a player making a play and the guy wasnt even on the ice. :blink: He was considered a legend in his time ( especially by Leaf fans,,,,wonder why??)but his time has definitely arrived to hang it up ( 5 years ago would have been better). I wish him well. I rarely watch HNIC anymore as i also prefer RDS or even TSN, mainly because of the poor quality in broadcasting of late ( and i cant stand Cherry :P ). I might just check in again this year to see if its any better ,,,or still HNIT.O.

I'm not really upset about Cole. He was good, except for the slight love of the Leafs. Any goalie in the league could do the splits on a 2 on 0 and Bob would call it a 'routine' save. Toskala could stop a shot from center and thought it was the save of the year. Kind of helps that I watch RDS, no need for me to worry about the commentating. They make more fun of the Habs than any other home team announcers do. Sad but true. Kovalev fell a couple times in one game last year and they <jokingly> asked if maybe his skates were on the wrong feet, or had he 'had a couple' during the intermission. Funny stuff to me.

I will Miss Bob Cole!!!

I don't care what anyone says I am a Bob Cole fan. I love that voice and Its still the best in the buisness. Sure he isn't as sharpe as he once was but the voice is still there..

Tank you Sir for all you have given hockey fans over the years. I hope you will stick around a little longer even in a small role like another legand Dick Irvin did for a while.

I still hear those great words you said back in 93 ringing in my head..

"And now a 24th banner will hang from the rafters of the famous Forum in Montreal... THE CANADIENS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!"

If for nothing else Thank you sir for that great call!

Bob Cole leaving???all I can say is "About time!"...
Well past time....

He was considered a legend in his time
Certainly was, and that "time" has been over for a few years...

Enjoy retirement, Bob. Youv'e earned it -- take it.

At least we won't have to hear the name Sundin mentioned 200 x a game now

Whether Sunbeam is playing or not! :rolleyes:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2008...791281-sun.html

Cole's role shrinking?

Future with HNIC uncertain

By MIKE ZEISBERGER -- Sun Media

Harry Neale has not talked to Bob Cole in the past few days.

No matter.

Upon hearing rumblings that his long-time Hockey Night In Canada partner would be usurped by Jim Hughson as the No. 1 play-by-play man on Saturday nights for this upcoming season, Neale was not surprised.

He has, after all, seen this scenario play out before.

It happened exactly one year ago. And the man whose workload was cut was none other than Neale himself.

"Pretty much the same thing happened to me," Neale said yesterday from his Buffalo-area home. "I received a call from (CBC Sports head) Scott Moore, who told me my duties would be reduced."

Neale estimates he did only about 12 regular-season games on HNIC last season.

Neale has lost count of how many games he and Cole called over the two-plus decades they worked together in the booth with HNIC.

"He is a Canadian broadcast legend," Neale said. "I used to tell Bob that if the players took the game as seriously as he did, the games would be much better.

"He taught me to take the job seriously. My duties were to try and get him to laugh by the time the night was over."

Neale said Cole has not personally told him of any impending changes.

"But where there is smoke, there usually is fire," he added. "It might not be over, but you can hear the alarm ringing.

"Whatever happens, he has been one of the best. The excitement and drama that he has brought to households for decades is immeasurable."

- 30 -

And we are supposed to heed the words of Neale?The guy whose most intelligent comments were something like"and the only reason the Leafs lost tonight is because the Rangers got more pucks in the Leafs net than the Leafs got in the Rangers net!??? :blink:

Hello!?they were both Leaf-biased idiots that long ago over-stayed their welcomes! Now let's see if Hughson can avoid becoming a Leaf idiot too!We know this will be difficult because that's what he is expected to do by the CBC!Let's hope for his own reputation that he comes to the conclusion early that a spot in the unemployment line has more class than being a CBC/Leafs dupe!

At least we won't have to hear the name Sundin mentioned 200 x a game now

Sun who???

I know it's been a while since we've all dipped in that frozen pond we call hockey, but I don't remember anyone called Sunwhatever-you-said. Who did this guy play for? Or was he one of the staff on HNIC?