The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn Scouting

GIJAYNE

With all of the players available for the pre-season, I wonder what those who aren't playing are doing to get ready for the season...

This would have been my strategy for six out of the seven games... play everyone who is not on the current roster (with the exception of Chips) in the pre-season games while the roster players pratice, practice, practice... skate, skate, skate and shape up.

So what would the team playing look like you ask...

Forwards: Chipchura, Wyman, White, Maxwell, Stewart, D'Agostini, Glumac, Pacioretty, Trotter, Flinn, Aubin, Fortier, Lehoux... did I forget anyone?

Defense: Weber, Subban, Henry, Anderson, Valentenko, Belle and Carle (if he wasn't injured... again)

Net: Denis, Desjardins

Whoever on the roster doesn't shape up gets replaced by the players who performed the best among the prospects for the final game.

that would be an interesting way to do it...but how do you compare somebody's performances in the offseason to what he can do when the other big boys play?

hey! any goodies from the laughs forum? i havent had a good chuckle in a while! ;)

... because noone knows about this already ...

ATLANTIC DIVISION - Update to Injury List: Pittsburgh Penguins

Sid the Kid is day-to-day with a groin injury.

(he must've been spending time at the Habs training camp and caught the bug)

that would be an interesting way to do it...but how do you compare somebody's performances in the offseason to what he can do when the other big boys play?

hey! any goodies from the laughs forum? i havent had a good chuckle in a while! ;)

It's how they would play against the other team's big boys that would concern me more... it would be a good way to avoid the early season injury bug though, and that's why I suggested it (just for fun)...

NG29 is one person along with HTL who can help you out with LEAF GARBLE :ph34r:

Flying Lion, you may be on to something... there does seem to be a virus permeating throughout the league... specifically among some "Star" players... must be all that money they get to handle :lol:

Any news on Matt Carle and Lats... Lidstrom also was injured in last night's game (can you imagine how ordinary Detroit's "D" will be if they lost him?)

They are not in my Division Admiral. :lol::P:lol:

Seriously though here is what I have as of now - this hour, this minute, this second and this moment:

Carle - No update yet

Latendresse - tweaked his hip but it is not serious (according to CJAD reports)

Lidstrom - he has a broken nose and will miss the next 3 pre-season games

Any news on Matt Carle and Lats...

Mathieu Carle D Day-To-Day Sep 25

Carle was temporarily unconscious following his violent collision during Wednesday's exhibition game in Detroit, but it does not appear he will miss much time off the ice, nhl.com reports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/injuries

Fools don't even have Lats listed. So much for one stop shopping for injury reports.

Just 4 you Matt.....What Leaf fans think of some of their players.

Grabvosky

""What did McGuire call him? The turnover machine? I laughed.

He couldn't slot into Montreal's lineup, yet he's potentially our first line center? That's bad."""

Poni

YES PONI OFF THE TOP LINE..

now to get him out of the top 9 all together.

Steen

STEEN SUCKS! TRADE HIM FOR A FIRST ROUNDER!

Blake

I don't know what Blake you're watching, but the Blake I've seen is the same Blake as last year - puck hog, and tons of shots from bad spots.

Finger

Now this is coming from a male so bare with me.. but i class jeff finger as a damn attractive man.

Chiseled jaw, excellent head of hair, eyes to get lost in, just an allround man of a man.

Followed by this comment from another poster...

I have to say.. this is the wierdest post i have ever read....

and no, i think he looks like a pretty average looking guy. But maybe fletcher thought the same thing and used his man-crush as motivation to pay finger 14 million lol.

From the Poop-Deck...

So, this is it... the start of another season of scouting the Eastern Conference - 2008-2009 rivals of Our beloved Bleu, Blanc, Rouge to keep everyone informed about just how the Habs stack up against the most direct competition... and we have a new format... THREE DIVISIONS/THREE SCOUT GROUPS for now and until otherwise adjusted... that means... NO INDIVIDUAL TEAMS... DIVISIONAL SCOUTS as follows:

Atlantic Division: Devils; Islanders; Rangers; Flyers; Penguins

Current scouts: Flying Lion

Northeast Division: Boston Bruins; Buffalo Sabre; Montréal Canadien; Ottawa Senator; Toronto Maple Leaf

Current scouts: HTL, NG29

Southeast Division: Thrashers; Hurricanes; Panthers; Lightning; Capitals

Current scouts: 1970Habs

EVERYTHING SCOUTING GETS POSTED IN THIS THREAD

We are looking for three to five scouts per division.. so if you see a vacancy just drop a post in here stating which you would like to be.

What happens here?

As the Admiral, I will post a daily schedule and links to game previews.

As a scout you will post all updates (injuries, trades, chit-chat and such - not previews or the links), articles and opinions (personal or otherwise - open for discussion) that you find or are of interest for your respective Division, while trying to avoid repetition.

That simple.

Welcome to my nightmare :lol:

Tonight's lines http://www.habsinsideout.com/

posted by Mike Boone at 8h31 EST on Sep 26

Subject to change, depending on how many groin pulls occur during morning skate, here are the lines and defence pairings that will face Ottawa at the Bell Centre tonight:

Andrei Kostitsyn – Tomas Plekanec – Alex Kovalev

Max Pacioretty – Ben Maxwell – Sergei Kostitsyn

Gregory Stewart – David Desharnais – Matt d’Agostini

Steve Bégin – Maxim Lapierre – Tom Kostopoulos

Andrei Markov – Ryan O’Byrne

Josh Gorges – P.K. Subban

Alex Henry – Yannick Weber

Jaroslav Halak and Marc Denis are the goaltenders.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Does anyone know how many games Kyle Chipchura has played in this pre-season? Is he injured too?

The Boston Herald is reporting that Tim Thomas will to not much surprise, be the openong day starter and #1 goalie until further notice.

"Tim was our No. 1 goalie last year and Manny (Fernandez) has had a year and a bit of inactivity outside of those few games he played (last October)," GM Peter Chiarelli said. "So I think there's a bit of a stagger right now. We'll see how they play in preseason but there's a bit of a stagger right now. I want to see how these guys play and how they compete. But Tim carried the freight for us last year, so we have to take that into consideration."

The Boston Herald is reporting that Tim Thomas will to not much surprise, be the openong day starter and #1 goalie until further notice.

"Tim was our No. 1 goalie last year and Manny (Fernandez) has had a year and a bit of inactivity outside of those few games he played (last October)," GM Peter Chiarelli said. "So I think there's a bit of a stagger right now. We'll see how they play in preseason but there's a bit of a stagger right now. I want to see how these guys play and how they compete. But Tim carried the freight for us last year, so we have to take that into consideration."

Welcome to the MN sportsfreak_39!!! Good info

Seeing as you have posted a report for the North East Division are we to understand that you are interested in being a Scout for the Division?

There is still room for North East, Atlantic and South East Divisions... you are welcome to choose any of the three if you like :)

Welcome to the MN sportsfreak_39!!! Good info

Seeing as you have posted a report for the North East Division are we to understand that you are interested in being a Scout for the Division?

There is still room for North East, Atlantic and South East Divisions... you are welcome to choose any of the three if you like :)

How about I just report what I find lol.

I read your thing about scouting and don't really have too much of an interest of doing that, but if I find interestign info Ill glady post it.

Anyways news on Buffalo:

The Buffalo News reports that Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff intends to keep Jochen Hecht at center. Hecht moved to center in 2007-08 as Tim Connolly dealt with injuries. The Sabres plan to go into the season with Derek Roy centering the top line, Hecht on the second line and Connolly on the third line. "I think if we could come up with Derek Roy, Tim Connolly and Jochen Hecht sitting in the middle, we're sitting pretty good," Ruff said.

The fact Connolly is going to open on the third line means Buffalo is still concerned he might be a bit of a injury-risk as he was plagued by a hip injury in 2007-08.

How about I just report what I find lol.

I read your thing about scouting and don't really have too much of an interest of doing that, but if I find interestign info Ill glady post it.

Anyways news on Buffalo:

The Buffalo News reports that Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff intends to keep Jochen Hecht at center. Hecht moved to center in 2007-08 as Tim Connolly dealt with injuries. The Sabres plan to go into the season with Derek Roy centering the top line, Hecht on the second line and Connolly on the third line. "I think if we could come up with Derek Roy, Tim Connolly and Jochen Hecht sitting in the middle, we're sitting pretty good," Ruff said.

The fact Connolly is going to open on the third line means Buffalo is still concerned he might be a bit of a injury-risk as he was plagued by a hip injury in 2007-08.

Actually, your last two posts represent exactly one of the things we are looking for in a scout... but you are welcome to come here and post any new news that you find and comment as well... Thanks ;)

Actually, your last two posts represent exactly one of the things we are looking for in a scout... but you are welcome to come here and post any new news that you find and comment as well... Thanks ;)

Thanks for the kind words, my next piece is an opinoin, again staying in the Northeast.

On the guys we love to hate, the Toronto Maple Leafs:

The consensus around hockey is this is a tank year, Toronto has nothing going for them and will make a run at John Tavares. I however, think much differently of this team. Being realistic, I predict a 9th or 10th place finish for this Toronto team but they will noise in the playoff race.

In net, they have a very, very good goalie in Vesa Toskala. He is rather underrated because he split time in San Jose and was on a non-playoff team last year, but he is one of those talents that can steal games night in and night out.

On defense they are very loaded. Tomas Kaberle is one of the top 10 defenseman in the league and Kubina is in the top 20 maybe top 25. However the aquisition of Mike Van Ryn will make this team MUCH better defensively. They lose Mccabe's laser from the point, but Van Ryn is one of those smart d-man like our Roman Hamrlik who you never hear of anf because of that never complain of. Jeff Finge's signing still remains a mystery to me but if top prospect Anton Stralman and Carlo Coliacovo could make strides this is a very legit defense corp.

On forward, this is why theyre not a good team. Everyone is still waiting on Nik Antropov to have that big breakout year of 70+ points. Blake proved why 1 year wonders on contract years are deadly, and the rest of the forward corp is practically dashed with inexpeience or lack of talent. The x factors of this team will be Mihkail Grabovski and Jiri Tlusty. If they can put all their talent to use and become legit scorers, this team will make the playoffs barring injuries to key players.

The main reason however why I think this team will do well, is the fact that all the players can play with a nothing to lose mentality. The GM and ownership have all but said that this is a write-off year for them and any pro athlete will NOT take that sitting down. Look for heart and determination from this Toronto squad this year.

On the Matheiu Schneider Trade:

For those of you who don't know The Atlanta Thrashers acquired defenseman Mathieu Schneider from Anaheim on Friday for defenseman Ken Klee and forwards Brad Larsen and Chad Painchaud.

This trade immediately propels Atlanta from laughing stock (with the Islanders and Florida) to midly interesting spoilers (with Toronto and Buffalo and even the Rangers.)

Their top 4 defenseman are now Ron Hainsey, Matheir Scheinder, Tobias Enstrom and Nicklas Havelid which while not imposing defensively, will be key factors and I predict Atlanta's defense corp will be amongst the most productive points wise in the league.

Atlanta will still not make the playoffs, they will need huge breakout years from Christensen, Armstrong and Lehtonen and with a d corp that isnt so comftorable in their own end I cant see the latter having one unless he turns into Luongo and quickly.

Thanks for the kind words, my next piece is an opinoin, again staying in the Northeast.

On the guys we love to hate, the Toronto Maple Leafs:

The consensus around hockey is this is a tank year, Toronto has nothing going for them and will make a run at John Tavares. I however, think much differently of this team. Being realistic, I predict a 9th or 10th place finish for this Toronto team but they will noise in the playoff race.

In net, they have a very, very good goalie in Vesa Toskala. He is rather underrated because he split time in San Jose and was on a non-playoff team last year, but he is one of those talents that can steal games night in and night out.

On defense they are very loaded. Tomas Kaberle is one of the top 10 defenseman in the league and Kubina is in the top 20 maybe top 25. However the aquisition of Mike Van Ryn will make this team MUCH better defensively. They lose Mccabe's laser from the point, but Van Ryn is one of those smart d-man like our Roman Hamrlik who you never hear of anf because of that never complain of. Jeff Finge's signing still remains a mystery to me but if top prospect Anton Stralman and Carlo Coliacovo could make strides this is a very legit defense corp.

On forward, this is why theyre not a good team. Everyone is still waiting on Nik Antropov to have that big breakout year of 70+ points. Blake proved why 1 year wonders on contract years are deadly, and the rest of the forward corp is practically dashed with inexpeience or lack of talent. The x factors of this team will be Mihkail Grabovski and Jiri Tlusty. If they can put all their talent to use and become legit scorers, this team will make the playoffs barring injuries to key players.

The main reason however why I think this team will do well, is the fact that all the players can play with a nothing to lose mentality. The GM and ownership have all but said that this is a write-off year for them and any pro athlete will NOT take that sitting down. Look for heart and determination from this Toronto squad this year.

No.....our 3rd line is better than their first.

ATLANTIC DIVISION UPDATE

Pittsburgh Penguins

Sergei Gonchar D IR Sep 26

Gonchar (shoulder) will seek a third doctor's opinion regarding possible surgery as the first two are split, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/injuries

(... 3rd time's the charm, they say ....)

New Jersey Devils

With coach Brent Sutter and general manager Lou Lamoriello watching, the Devils split up their training camp roster and held a scrimmage Friday morning at their Prudential Center practice rink.

The highlight of the 60-minute game (two 30-minute periods of running time) was a fight between captain Jamie Langenbrunner and right winger Dainius Zubrus. Both landed several soft punches and it was Zubrus and the red squad emerging with a 3-2 victory in the game.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/200...ner_and_zubrus/

(... how does that affect team moral? ...)

New York Rangers

Petr Nedved's bid to come back to the NHL after a year playing in Europe ended Friday when the New York Rangers released the 36-year-old forward from his tryout.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...XrsdK0GWTHr1NGw

Leafs Board Quotes

On Tanenbaums Comments:

The Leaf’s have been pretty sucky for the past five years already. Can we trade that for a Cup?

What the Team Needs...

In my opinion we are Mats Sundin away from having a team finishing 7th or 8th...

There's a lot of work to be done before this team becomes decent, let alone good.

This team may be could compete with the top AHL teams. Maybe!!

What would else do we expect from the Stajan loving crowd.

General

Now with McCabe gone, Im no longer embarrassed to be a Leafs fan anymore =)

M-Make

L-Leaf fans

S-Suffer

E-Endlessly

Picture

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/nhl.fanhouse...orientation.jpg

Grabovski

I think once Wilson slaps him in the head a few times, he'll stop making low percentage passes and instead keep the puck down low... he'll turn out to be pretty good for us i think

Steen

looking at last nights game Steen is going to struggle to score again and might be used in a checking role again if Stajan can score more he just didn't look like a top 6 player last night he created nothing offensively

it's only one game! But he didn't look any different to me than last year.

Sundin

Sundin wasn't a God, he was a leaf.

Janne Pesonen, Alex Goligoski to Break Camp with Pens

The Sports Xchange reports Penguins LW Janne Pesonen, a free agent acquisition from Finland, might find himself skating with center Sidney Crosby and right wing Miroslav Satan before too long. LW Pascal Dupuis opened camp at that spot, but Pesonen has impressed coaches and team officials, who believe he will adapt well to the North American game.

Pesonen has spent the last six seasons playing with Karpat (Finland). He had a career-high 78 points and 34 goals in 2007-08. He has improved dramatically over the last two seasons and is on the verge of making his mark on the NHL. The Penguins aren't sure if Pesonen can be a top-six forward right off the bat, but he does have potential.

The Sports Xchange also reports Penguins D Alex Goligoski, a puck-moving rookie, might find a spot on the roster now that Sergei Gonchar (shoulder) and Ryan Whitney (foot) are hurt.

Goligoski was drafted by Pittsburgh in the second round (61st overall) in 2004. He was a star at the University of Minnesota before going pro in 2007-08. He had two assists in three games with the Penguins, but totaled 38 points (10 goals) in 70 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. He then added 28 points (four goals) in 23 playoff games.

Archived