The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn - The Countdown

GIJAYNE

Hope Andrei makes a full physical recovery and also that the hit doesn't affect him mentally/emotionally.

The way the team responded shows how much character they possess and that they are a team to be reckoned with. Lastly before I forget to do/say this in my rush to work:

"May his crotch be infected with the fleas of a thousand camels, and may his arms be too short to scratch it"

"May his crotch be infected with the fleas of a thousand camels, and may his arms be too short to scratch it"

Good point made by Y...

Take that, Sauer! :angry:

HLD_sig.jpg

FLY KITTY KITTY KITTY…

I feel as rushed as a parent doing the entire Christmas shopping on the 24th. Super busy start to the week this morning so I’ll keep it short. The HABS have made a statement with the start to the season we have had. During the summer most agreed that we were the #1 team in the East, and we’re showing that now. However tonight is an important test.

Tonight’s game is against the Florida Panthers. A team ranked as one of the lowest in the East. A team with one of the weakest offenses in the entire league. A team with whom we have no rivalries or ill feelings. Basically it’s just a game…nothing special.

Even though on paper we should blow this team away, in the past we have had issues facing weak teams. Even last year we were guilty of playing to the level of our opponents, thus allowing weak teams to remain in the game and often upset us. This year is about playing our game and letting the league catch up to us. So far we have played our game (albeit lazy at times, but we imposed our style regardless of the opponents). Today we will see if the locker room has developed the mental maturity that champions possess: “Just play your game…period”. Can we keep the foot on the gas pedal? If we do this should have a 4-5 goal differential with a dominant and comfortable win for the HABS (kind of like the Maple Turds game earlier ni the season).

I will be watching and hoping that team lays it on for 60 minutes regardless of how far up we are on the score board. I will also be hoping that the Power Play gets some momentum once again and that Kovalev’s lin e can get on the scoreboard. Not only will this line’s productivity be pivotal to our success this year, but Kovalev’s in my pool and I’m getting murdered :(. Whenever Kovalev touches the puck, the poor guy is covered by two-three, sometimes four players. This means that the ice is wide open for Plecks and Kostitsyn (the younger one tonight) and it will be up to them to help out their mentor and draw some players to open up the ice for Kovy by potting a few .

HLD frantically out…

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 20, 2008:

POST.jpg

Check out this article on TSN guys,,,,,,some funny stuff.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=253185

My favourite of course was....

Jan. 8 (vs. Toronto) - Leafs Mathematically Eliminated From Playoff Race Night, featuring post-game fireworks and dance party! Live performance by Mitsou - assuming Mitsou can be located (This event may be cancelled if Leafs are already mathematically eliminated by January).

Had a weird day today but was made intermittently amusing whenever I would imagine Kurt Sauer wondering why his crotch is itching so much...... mmmmm..... ya, like I said, had a weird day....

As for tonight's game, I'm not concerned of the Panther's forwards or defencemen, so Montreal should come away with a win. Vokuon will put up a fight but there's only so much he can do. He'll definitely earn his pay tonight.

So, here's a toast to a drop in the MN!!!! Go Habs GO!!!

HLD_sig.jpg

JEKYLL AND HYDE

Dr. Jekyll:

Well that’s another two points! I’ll take them any way they come…no matter how ugly. Winning against a defensive and trap style team like Florida is very promising, given that we have had troubles against such teams (had a high loosing ratio against “trap” teams last year). This of course re-iterates the growth and maturity of this team. We have now shown we can play high flying games, rough physical games and slow trap-like games, and we’ve come out victorious in all of them to begin this young promising season.

This is the mark of a championship team: Always find a way to win, regardless of the circumstances and teams we play.

Mr. Hyde:

Yeah we won, but barely…against one of the weaker teams in the league. Our Power Play is non-existent, our key players are off the score sheet, and turnovers are being handed out by the bushels in the neutral and defensive zone. It was a hard game to watch. It was difficult to see turn over after turnover, giving up all those shots to Florida, and struggling against Florida…FLORIDA! If it wasn’t for Halak this game would have been our first loss, and loosing to a team like Florida is NOT something a Stanley Cup team should be doing.

Final consensus:

It was a difficult game for our boy, because the well prepared Florida team played a well designed strategy to the “T” They played their very best (and did a heck of a job) and really slowed down the injured Canadiens. Kudos to them.

However, the Canadiens with three starters injured, and two of the top players playing their worst hockey in recent history (Kovy and Plecks) still managed to fight, claw and battle for the win. This shows grit and character. All the technical stuff can be worked out in practices, however the collective will of the locker room is something that is there ot not. We have it…and how. We are blessed with a team that possesses the more unique assets and the intangibles. Now we have over five months to work out the strategies, tactics, and special teams plays in our ultimate goal of winning the Cup.

Most importantly, let us all rejoice in claiming the top spot in NL standings. Now let us stay there till the end of the season :D

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 21, 2008:

POST.jpg

Totally agree that it was a "too close for comfort" win, however, a win is a win and the 2pts looks beautiful being added to Canadiens standing total. Btw, while watching the game, I kept on thinking about HLD's pre-game post about how Florida has always given Montreal a hard time. :lol:

Markov.... well, just plain amazing. His assist on Saku's goal was definitely a "he did what?" moment.

Congrats to Saku's 600th point. Loved his quote, "I have to get the Swede" (referring to Mats Naslund record of 612 points). Can only imagine what if's when I think about Saku and his career. ie. What if Saku had better wingers. What if Saku didn't get injured or gone through cancer treatment. Just INCREDIBLE for any human being to deal/experience all those misfortunes (nearly blinded in one eye and is not even at 100%) and still to accumulate such stats. Saku epitomizes all that is the MONTREAL CANADIENS. Heart. Dedication. Resilience. Leadership, and did I say, heart (for both the game, teammates, and community)?

As in the past games, I'm still uneasy as to decide whether it's a good thing or bad thing that Montreal has yet to play the way the Habs can and should play for 60minutes.... yet they keep on winning. Perhaps the ghosts are back to help ensure that this is a season will be another great chapter in Habs storied history.

Oh ya, Halak and Price in net.... well, words cannot describe the joy and happiness that having these to young and talented netminders provide. I'm truly a Price believer yet Halak is incredibly impressive. How many goalies can sit for days at a time and yet perform so brilliantly. I know there was some crazy rebounds but nonetheless Halak was stellar. I understand all about trading when a stock is high but to me this would be suicide. Keep Halak as long as possible. There will come a time when Halak will be traded but I hope not this season. The Habs needs him on the drive for Lord Stanley # 25. The team has no glaring weaknesses at the moment. Sure a #4 d-man would be great but whether that happens or not, I truly do not believe it should come at a cost of trading Halak.

HLD_sig.jpg

MN NUMBERS LOOK GOOD

MN Playoff didn’t drop last night, but MN TO sure did. It’s already at 140. I have a feeling MN TO NO GO will be clinched far earlier than MN Playoffs this year.

That’s all I have to say for today. Short, sweet, uplifting and yet another backhanded pimp slap at the Maple Turds :D

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 22, 2008:

POST.jpg

Is it Saturday yet? :(

I hope there's not too many times this season that the games are so far apart........ Is it Saturday yet?

Oh ya, just so you all know, I'm planning to collect all 10 million of the cemmorative Habs coins. Wish me luck!!!

Hope you have a large change purse :P

HLD,

I would never own a change purse as it is kind of "girlie". Instead, I own a gentleman's handbag.

But to be honest, I plan to keep only 10 of the commemorative coins as to increase the value through scarcity and rarity. So, I won't need a very large gentleman's handbag at all.

The rest of the 9,999,990 coins, I plan to melt and re-cast into 25 lifesize Stanley Cups...... that or a 12 foot "lathered up Scarlett Johanssen" statue......

:) Poor O'Byrne, he could probably win numerous Cups, awards, etc but he will be forever known for "stealing" some girl's purse.... even though from what I hear, he was trying to help out a fellow teammate (just rumours anyways).

Btw, I'm just kidding about the handbag/purse thing. I use neither.

Looking forward to the game this Saturday, part of me is excited because the Ducks were the champions just two years ago so it would be a good benchmark to see how Montreal plays a "tough" western team.... but then, I tell myself, the Ducks have only won 2 out of 7 games... one against the lowly laughable laffs, which went to a shootout.... not sure what to expect.

Archived