The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bands

haven't really read any of this thread, but i plan to(so i can see what sort of music people are into and such).

just thought i'd answer the initial question.

fav musical artists:

1. Bjork

2. Deerhunter

3. Radiohead

4. Joy Division

5. Portishead

6. My Bloody Valentine

7. Pavement

8. Beck

9. Wu Tang Clan

10.Sufjan Stevens

how many people on this site live in montreal? because from what i've heard it has one of the best music scenes in north america. plus canada in general seems to churn out some top notch artists:

Arcade Fire

The Rural Alberta Advantage

Crystal Castles

Caribou

Japandroids

Ladyhawke

Neil Young

etc.

Loved the cure and JMC,when I met the Beatles it was before their band took off,I don't dispute what good musicians they were or poets but at the time,they were full of them selves,and not the greatest people,I didn't like their early stuff,but we all have different tastes, one of the best musicians in the UK in the sixties was a guy call Roy wood no relation to Ron,he was with the Move ELO and Wizzard

First Star you gave credit in an earlier post,to the Beatles for what Rock and Roll is today,I think you have to go back farther than that,to the people who influenced the Beatles,like Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters lots of blues musicians early rock and rollers,these are the people who influences today's rock,but most modern stuff sounds like pop that I hear on the radio.Most people think the sixties were the best as far as music is concerned,

But I remember the first time I heard Chuck Berry,Buddy Holly and people like that,it was great.

I used to make money off the records that were released in NA back then,often they were not released in the UK until some time later,I lived near a port and knew many of the local guys who were in the merchant navy,they would bring back records from the States and I would sell them to local bands so they could learn them before they were heard on British radio,yes the fifties were great too.

One of my favorite records of all time is from back then it's an instrumental by Sandy Nelson called Let There be Drums,I just love the beat.

First Star you should get into a conversation with Mike about the seventies and eighties,he knows as much about then as anybody I know.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

WOW maddie.....you are full of so much info with the music scene back when......its so cool to be able to read of this your sharing with us.....I find it all fascinating & interesting, listening to music is so huge for me,I'd die :lol: if I didn't have it.

So,keep sharing all these stories with us,please....its very interesting....as you are too.:)

haven't really read any of this thread, but i plan to(so i can see what sort of music people are into and such).

just thought i'd answer the initial question.

fav musical artists:

1. Bjork

Have only listened to post so far but its so good

2. Deerhunter

listened to some not a lot, need to though

3. Radiohead

The Bends, and Kid A had huge impacts on me

4. Joy Division

Post Punk <3

5. Portishead

Haven't Listened to them

6. My Bloody Valentine

ShoeGazeygoodness, love the textures

7. Pavement

Awesome band, you like the jicks as well?

8. Beck

Really good

9. Wu Tang Clan

Haven't Listened to enough

10.Sufjan Stevens

Awesome artist

how many people on this site live in montreal? because from what i've heard it has one of the best music scenes in north america. plus canada in general seems to churn out some top notch artists:

Arcade Fire

The Rural Alberta Advantage

Crystal Castles

Caribou

Japandroids

Ladyhawke

Neil Young

etc.

Excluding the Beach Boys and Beatles my two favs

Can't really rank them but

Blur, Kinks, Radiohead, Weezer, The Smiths, Arcade Fire, Velvet Underground, Red hot chili peppers (particularly Frusciante, Amazing Artist, Sonic youth,

So many bands

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica, Lick My Decals Off Baby, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), Doc at the Radar Station

Kate Bush - The Dreaming, Hounds of Love

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, Overnite Sensation, Grand Wazoo

Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music, Book of Days

Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass, Divine Punishment

Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal, Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel III

Faust - Faust IV

Henry Cow - Unrest, In Praise of Learning

Art Bears - Winter Songs, The World as it is Today

Slapp Happy - Slapp Happy or Slapp Happy, Slapp Happy & Henry Cow

Kraftwerk - Computer World, Man Machine

Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste

Van der Graaf Generator - He is to He Who Am the Only One

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Iannis Xenakis - Metastasis

Edgard Varese - Ionisation, Deserts

Igot Stravinski - Rites of Spring

I could be here for hours, but these are a few records I've listening to in heavy rotation for the past 4-5 months.

Excluding the Beach Boys and Beatles my two favs

Can't really rank them but

Blur, Kinks, Radiohead, Weezer, The Smiths, Arcade Fire, Velvet Underground, Red hot chili peppers (particularly Frusciante, Amazing Artist, Sonic youth,

So many bands

you seem to know good music when you here it, quality artists you've listed there. and yeah i've listened to the jicks, there no pavement but still pretty damn good. i must advise you to listen to deerhunter and 'homogenic' by bjork, some sounds that'll change your world

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica, Lick My Decals Off Baby, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), Doc at the Radar Station

Kate Bush - The Dreaming, Hounds of Love

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, Overnite Sensation, Grand Wazoo

Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music, Book of Days

Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass, Divine Punishment

Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal, Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel III

Faust - Faust IV

Henry Cow - Unrest, In Praise of Learning

Art Bears - Winter Songs, The World as it is Today

Slapp Happy - Slapp Happy or Slapp Happy, Slapp Happy & Henry Cow

Kraftwerk - Computer World, Man Machine

Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste

Van der Graaf Generator - He is to He Who Am the Only One

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Iannis Xenakis - Metastasis

Edgard Varese - Ionisation, Deserts

Igot Stravinski - Rites of Spring

I could be here for hours, but these are a few records I've listening to in heavy rotation for the past 4-5 months.

quality

quality

Anything from that list comes with the highest recommendation.

Anything from that list comes with the highest recommendation.

Like zappa... A musical genius!

kraftwerk though... I guess it's an acquired taste (never been into synthesizers).

I prefer guitars... I'm a guitar man.

I also play a lil banjo, so i like a lot of bluegrass, string bands and Irish folk.

Love the Pogues!

Have a portrait of Shane MacGowan on my leg.

While my Guitar Gently weeps is the best song ever (along with Time by Pink Floyd)

Dead on, man!

I tend to lean towards Seattle rock as my avatar hints, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden. Pearl Jam has always been kinda meh to me, I don't feel the emotion so much from them like I do with the previous three bands listed. I love all the classic stuff, anything by Pink Floyd I'll dig. Anyone listened to Wishbone Ash? Wonderful twin guitar band from the late sixties, seventies and eighties. The clash, The doors, the beatles, the stones (for the most part, for favorites of mine think "Symphony for the devil"). I've always loved brit pop. Nothing beats early Oasis and Blur records of the nineties. I love the blues rock band "Free", lead singer Paul Rodgers (also the singer of Bad Company) is the best in his business and guitarist Paul Kossoff (R.I.P) is a blues great. I like Zeppelin, the velvet underground, portishead. As for hip hop and rap I like it but hey I prefer melody and headbangers more often then not.

Oh and : best guitarist to span the earth? Django Reinhardt, easily. I have his whole 1930's catalog, that guy can do more with FOUR fingers and a fretboard then anyone in the music industry can do with the whole studio now, for real.

you seem to know good music when you here it, quality artists you've listed there. and yeah i've listened to the jicks, there no pavement but still pretty damn good. i must advise you to listen to deerhunter and 'homogenic' by bjork, some sounds that'll change your world

listen to some lol on shuffle

haven't been in a dream popy sorta place for a while.

Dead on, man!

I tend to lean towards Seattle rock as my avatar hints, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden. Pearl Jam has always been kinda meh to me, I don't feel the emotion so much from them like I do with the previous three bands listed. I love all the classic stuff, anything by Pink Floyd I'll dig. Anyone listened to Wishbone Ash? Wonderful twin guitar band from the late sixties, seventies and eighties. The clash, The doors, the beatles, the stones (for the most part, for favorites of mine think "Symphony for the devil"). I've always loved brit pop. Nothing beats early Oasis and Blur records of the nineties. I love the blues rock band "Free", lead singer Paul Rodgers (also the singer of Bad Company) is the best in his business and guitarist Paul Kossoff (R.I.P) is a blues great. I like Zeppelin, the velvet underground, portishead. As for hip hop and rap I like it but hey I prefer melody and headbangers more often then not.

Oh and : best guitarist to span the earth? Django Reinhardt, easily. I have his whole 1930's catalog, that guy can do more with FOUR fingers and a fretboard then anyone in the music industry can do with the whole studio now, for real.

You don't feel the emotion with pearl jam?

Vedder puts so much in

and mccready's solo are amazing

PS. First star's favorite band of all time is blur

PSS. Johnny Greenwood really likes Graham Coxons guitar playing <3

listen to some lol on shuffle

haven't been in a dream popy sorta place for a while.

You don't feel the emotion with pearl jam?

Vedder puts so much in

and mccready's solo are amazing

PS. First star's favorite band of all time is blur

PSS. Johnny Greenwood really likes Graham Coxons guitar playing <3

Nope, I don't feel the emotion with Pearl Jam. I'm partial to Mother Love Bone, which was the original Band (before veder took over). Long story short, MLB had signed with a label and during their CD launch, the lead singer OD'd and died. Not to lose money the label found a replacement for the late singer(Veder) and called it Pearl Jam. A lot of musicians on the scene or familiar with the scene see Pearl Jam as a corporate band. Even Kurt Cobain came out and said something about Pearl Jam. Veder and Kurt became friends, but kurt never gave the band much respect.

I admit they have a few good songs and have stood the test of time. But if you listen to Mother Love Bone then pearl jam it's hard to think they're kinda the same band.

Your musical tastes and knowledge reminds me of myself at your age. People use to be shocked at all the music I knew and had. A lot of it was not well known either. Back in those days you had to buy everything, didn't have the internet for downloading. You are so lucky to grow up in the internet age.

One band I've always liked (Got to know the singer on the scene) was Everclear. Doesn't really fit in my tastes (I usually don't like corporate rock), but they started on the alternative scene, just like the goo goo dolls, smash mouth, sugar ray, etc...

You sound like the wife, :P she's always teasing me about the band Garbage (can't stand them), have a history with them as well. Blur and garbage are both bands that I have a personal grudge against.

Oh, ever listen to Gob?

One of the most underrated bands of the 90's.

Nope, I don't feel the emotion with Pearl Jam. I'm partial to Mother Love Bone, which was the original Band (before veder took over). Long story short, MLB had signed with a label and during their CD launch, the lead singer OD'd and died. Not to lose money the label found a replacement for the late singer(Veder) and called it Pearl Jam. A lot of musicians on the scene or familiar with the scene see Pearl Jam as a corporate band. Even Kurt Cobain came out and said something about Pearl Jam. Veder and Kurt became friends, but kurt never gave the band much respect. Of course i know mother love bone, I just find a vitology, vs, and ten to be quite good albums

I admit they have a few good songs and have stood the test of time. But if you listen to Mother Love Bone then pearl jam it's hard to think they're kinda the same band.

Your musical tastes and knowledge reminds me of myself at your age. People use to be shocked at all the music I knew and had. A lot of it was not well known either. Back in those days you had to buy everything, didn't have the internet for downloading. You are so lucky to grow up in the internet age. I know I am lol. Thats why I don't wish I grew up in a different time period. Much more music now :D

love this song

One band I've always liked (Got to know the singer on the scene) was Everclear. Doesn't really fit in my tastes (I usually don't like corporate rock), but they started on the alternative scene, just like the goo goo dolls, smash mouth, sugar ray, etc... Used to love Everclear, Art Alexiks right?

You sound like the wife, :P she's always teasing me about the band Garbage (can't stand them), have a history with them as well. Blur and garbage are both bands that I have a personal grudge against.

Great you have grudges, still make good music, Graham Coxon is an amazing guitarist and so is their bassist

Oh, ever listen to Gob?

I might have

I am heading out on the road.....hope you get a chance to catch my act. :rolleyes:

one-man-band03.jpg

I feel like we need a good OASIS rant from the members here.

kind of sad they are no more, although they hadn't made a good album sine 'whats the story-morning glory'

only a few decent songs in the 2000's. their first 2 albums were excellent though

Blur and garbage are both bands that I have a personal grudge against.

Oh, ever listen to Gob?

Why's this? I could never get into them myself and couldn't quite understand their popularity, curious to hear your reasons.:)

Guest archey

Just a few favs of mine B)

The Stones

Lynyrd Skynyrd

B.B.King

Eric Clapton

Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Doors/Jim Morrison

Jimi Hendrix

Johnny Lang

Grateful Dead

Neil Young

James Taylor

Koko Taylor

Etta James

Buddy Guy

The Band

John Lennon

johnny winter

john lee hooker

eric clapton (sleepy head)

lonnie brooks

johnny winter

john lee hooker

eric clapton (sleepy head)

lonnie brooks

My favorites also there...

Not familiar though with Lonnie brooks ( I'll have to youtube him out :lol: )....here's some more I listen to blues man that you most likely heard of....

Luther Allison ( blows me away ) ;)

King Ernest ( no many albums out but good stuff....was around for a while before his passing)

Sue Foley

LiL' Ed & the blues imperials

Charlie Musselwhite

Albert King

'

John Lee Hooker the guy who does

Boom-Boom-Boom?

yep

kind of sad they are no more, although they hadn't made a good album sine 'whats the story-morning glory'

only a few decent songs in the 2000's. their first 2 albums were excellent though

they had a few good songs, their first 2 albums wouldhave been good, if they hadnt stole so much of their stuff from previous bands.