The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bands

I meant to say Pink Floyd not just Pink. Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Masterpieces!

How I miss when artists would produce albums, some new artists try to but its not the same, I still have to listen to these start to finish, any other way doesn't do it justice. Not just random songs thrown together to make an album, filled with catchy songs with the same structure and repetitive hooks. Zeppelin didn't even care about "singles", here's our album, take what you want off it, but we're not editing a 8min song down to 4 to suit radio's agenda.

If you get only one recording from these guys, by all means get Chicago V. I have yet to hear another album by a US-based rock band quite like this one. This took them from being a great band to one of rock's immortals. The mix of music on this is incredible, with social and political commentary, jazz, serious hard rock, folk, and above all, the two legendary hits Saturday In The Park and Dialogue. IMHO, only the Eagles Hotel California and the Beach Boys Pet Sounds rival this recording. And neither have this kind of varied mix.

CHICAGO%20V.jpg

Chicago V Discography:

http://chicagotheband.info/chicagov.cfm

Guest habs1952

Habs1952: Would you give me $500 to take a Dylan ticket off your hands as he is touring soon? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Don't spend it all in one place. :lol: :lol:

500DollarBill.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my faves:

Rush, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Killing Joke, New Model Army, Levellers, Harmful, Faith No More, Anacrusis

also like Jazz a lot...

Nice to see some Marillion and Killing Joke love on the board. I'm also a big fan of Manic Impressions.

• 2 months later...

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica, Lick My Decals Off Baby, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), Doc at the Radar Station

Kate Bush - The Dreaming, Hounds of Love

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, Overnite Sensation, Grand Wazoo

Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music, Book of Days

Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass, Divine Punishment

Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal, Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel III

Faust - Faust IV

Henry Cow - Unrest, In Praise of Learning

Art Bears - Winter Songs, The World as it is Today

Slapp Happy - Slapp Happy or Slapp Happy, Slapp Happy & Henry Cow

Kraftwerk - Computer World, Man Machine

Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste

Van der Graaf Generator - He is to He Who Am the Only One

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Iannis Xenakis - Metastasis

Edgard Varese - Ionisation, Deserts

Igot Stravinski - Rites of Spring

I could be here for hours, but these are a few records I've listening to in heavy rotation for the past 4-5 months.

Let's give it up for Edgard Varese, who inspired this song, A Hit By Varese, by one of the greatest rock bands ever!

• 4 months later...

my faves:

Rush, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Killing Joke, New Model Army, Levellers, Harmful, Faith No More, Anacrusis

also like Jazz a lot...

like the old jazz and swing

• 8 months later...

Jimmy Eat World is my all time favorite band

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the Billboard Magazine story about the latest recording by my all-time favorite band. It is called "NOW - Chicago XXXVI," and is coming out in July. I have pre-ordered my CD copy and have heard some of the songs on it. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6121547/chicago-now-song-video-premiere-exclusive. Their title cut "NOW" is being shown on video in the Billboard article. Chicago stepped out of their long-time comfort zone here and produced some really good tunes. And they devised a special portable recording studio called "The Rig," that they can take on tour and record just about anywhere. No longer do they have to record in a recording studio. Chicago is proving once again that they are one of the greatest, most innovative bands ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Billboard Magazine story about the latest recording by my all-time favorite band. It is called "NOW - Chicago XXXVI," and is coming out in July. I have pre-ordered my CD copy and have heard some of the songs on it. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6121547/chicago-now-song-video-premiere-exclusive. Their title cut "NOW" is being shown on video in the Billboard article. Chicago stepped out of their long-time comfort zone here and produced some really good tunes. And they devised a special portable recording studio called "The Rig," that they can take on tour and record just about anywhere. No longer do they have to record in a recording studio. Chicago is proving once again that they are one of the greatest, most innovative bands ever.

I just got my CD copy of NOW-Chicago XXXVI yesterday, and the MP3 version last week. Not the best one they ever did, but it is certainly the best one they have done since Stone of Sisyphus. Definitely recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP to one of the true guitar virtuosos, Johnny Winter. I got to see him a few years ago in Flint at the Whiting. He put on a great show, and his guitar was still blazing hot, but he had to sit in a chair and was carried off the stage afterwards. I also got to see his brother Edgar at the old Chesaning Showboat. In a light rain, he put on a full concert after .38 Special had to leave due to a family emergency with one of the band member's wives. So, I consider myself very lucky to have witnessed both Winters in person, and they were magical moments. http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/17/showbiz/obit-johnny-winter/

Guest archey

RIP to one of the true guitar virtuosos, Johnny Winter. I got to see him a few years ago in Flint at the Whiting. He put on a great show, and his guitar was still blazing hot, but he had to sit in a chair and was carried off the stage afterwards. I also got to see his brother Edgar at the old Chesaning Showboat. In a light rain, he put on a full concert after .38 Special had to leave due to a family emergency with one of the band member's wives. So, I consider myself very lucky to have witnessed both Winters in person, and they were magical moments. http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/17/showbiz/obit-johnny-winter/

In fact Johnny was the last reason to go out to a show since all the old Chicago blues players are LONG since dead.

• 4 months later...

A brief sampling of some records I listen to quite frequently....

Manilla Road - Crystal Logic

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

Brocas Helm - Into Battle

Medieval Steel - Medeival Steel EP

Solstice - New Dark Age

Liege Lord - Freedom's Reign

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (see avatar)

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Dark Quarterer - Dark Quarterer

Paul Chain - Alkahest

Pagan Altar - Volume I

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

While Heaven Wept - Sorrow of the Angels

Warning - Watching from a Distance

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...