The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bands

Depressed me to read this thread.....man do I feel old......there are a TON of bands mentioned here that I never heard of......(oh look ..liver spots growing on my hand)

So here are some of mine......oldies to alot of you...

Beatles, Pink Floyd, Boston,The Moody Blues, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington and Count Basie....the last four....a few of you will remember...

Depressed me to read this thread.....man do I feel old......there are a TON of bands mentioned here that I never heard of......(oh look ..liver spots growing on my hand)

So here are some of mine......oldies to alot of you...

Beatles, Pink Floyd, Boston,The Moody Blues, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington and Count Basie....the last four....a few of you will remember...

Great choices, how about the Stones, ZZ Top, Neil Young, Harry Connick SR & JR

Great choices, how about the Stones, ZZ Top, Neil Young, Harry Connick SR & JR

Never really got into the Stones....ZZ Top yup , my bad...Neil Young...uhhh I live in the South here in the US we aren't allowed down here to even mention Neil Young..and if you listen to him, Lynyrd Skynyrd shows up at your house and beats you up!

Never really got into the Stones....ZZ Top yup , my bad...Neil Young...uhhh I live in the South here in the US we aren't allowed down here to even mention Neil Young..and if you listen to him, Lynyrd Skynyrd shows up at your house and beats you up!

LOL...I was expecting that!

the RCMP will be there shortly....with Michael Buble.

I just want to pay tribute to the recently passed Ronnie James Dio, vocalist for two of my favorite groups (Rainbow and Black Sabbath). His solo albums are worth a note, esoecially Holy Diver and Last in Line. The world of heavy metal lost a great ambassador in Mr. Dio.

Well said. Saw him in his first incarnation with Sabbath. Was actually my favourite lineup, Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules were great albums. Also saw him solo for the Last in LIne tour. A true metal giant. Devil horns up!!!!!

I just want to pay tribute to the recently passed Ronnie James Dio, vocalist for two of my favorite groups (Rainbow and Black Sabbath). His solo albums are worth a note, esoecially Holy Diver and Last in Line. The world of heavy metal lost a great ambassador in Mr. Dio.

Great vocalist... Sad to hear of his passing. But couldn't get into Rainbow(too cheesy), I like his solo stuff and his stuff with Black Sabbath.

everyone likes rock here! i like simple plan, owl city, hedley, fort minor, nickelback.. i mostly like singers, not bands.. online (french rapper), k'naan, jay-z, iyaz, jason derulo.. :)

Not even close to my style of music. :lol:

I have a wide taste, but not big on the commercial stuff... Like early metal (except black and death, speed/glam and melodic), love old school punk(Ramones), ska (mighty, mighty, bosstones), new school and socal punk and 80's hardcore(minor threat/black flag/bad brains). Like folk, love irish folk (lpub music), like classic rock, even like some classical music(heavier stuff).

Don't do rap, dance, disco or techno.

It's ok, I'll take Skynyrd any day of the week and I'm from Winnipeg!

Not even close to my style of music. :lol:

I have a wide taste, but not big on the commercial stuff... Like early metal (except black and death, speed/glam and melodic), love old school punk(Ramones), ska (mighty, mighty, bosstones), new school and socal punk and 80's hardcore(minor threat/black flag/bad brains). Like folk, love irish folk (lpub music), like classic rock, even like some classical music(heavier stuff).

Don't do rap, dance, disco or techno.

Just say no. :D

• 2 weeks later...

These last times I'm totally into Focus, a Dutch progressive rock band formed in 1969.

They really rock, with maybe one of the best rock guitar players I ever heard, Jan Akkerman and the typical yodels (yes you read right, yodels) of the orgue player and flautist Thijs van Leer.

By the way, I might repeat myself :lol: , they're piece "Hocus Pocus" is used in the new Nike Football ad as soon as Wayne Rooney gets the ball.

These last times I'm totally into Focus, a Dutch progressive rock band formed in 1969.

They really rock, with maybe one of the best rock guitar players I ever heard, Jan Akkerman and the typical yodels (yes you read right, yodels) of the orgue player and flautist Thijs van Leer.

By the way, I might repeat myself :lol: , they're piece "Hocus Pocus" is used in the new Nike Football ad as soon as Wayne Rooney gets the ball.

That's their only real hit... Hocus Pocus. Sold tons of albums off that one song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the past 43 years, nobody has done all the things Chicago has, and their track record speaks for itself. Billboard Magazine has them listed as the top-selling American rock band of all time. The wide variety of music these guys have done includes jazz fusion, pop, rock, metal, rap, country, folk, and just about every musical genre out there. They are winding down now, but in their heyday, they only had one competitor for radio air time (that competitor being Led Zeppelin). You could not get either one off the air.

Visit them at http://chicagotheband.com

No American band has done the things Chicago has done, and the band's original lineup was awesome - Robert Lamm, Peter Cetera, Danny Seraphine, Terry Kath, Jim Pankow, Lee Loughnane and Walt Parazaider.

Over 120 million in sales is not too shabby, either.

Other great horn rock bands include:

Blood, Sweat & Tears

Ides Of March

Lighthouse - many of you in Canada may remember them

Electric Flag

Spiral Staircase

Tower of Power

Horns had always been part of rock 'n roll, but to varying degrees. The Beatles dabbled in them, Steeley Dan had dabbled in them, and then there was Phil Spector's Wall Of Sound. The Memphis Cats were well-known, too, playing with the likes of Elvis Presely, and recording with Dusty Springfield.

But Chicago emerged as not only the best of the bunch, but also the top-selling and most musically diverse American rock band of all time.

And I'm hearing from the band that they may be going back into the studio and recording yet another original album.

i know what you guys are gonna say and ya, i got some of them from "there"

alien ant farm ( knew them from thps3 and NHL2004) ,

deftones (knew them since 2001),

brand new(NHL),

bayside, despised icon,

alexisonfire(knew them since their first single),

autopilot off funny story about that one, i went to cism ( the université de montréal radio station) as part of some school journalistics program and got their first cd "make a sound" for free, been hooked since.

the devil wears prada

alesana

silverstein

aesop rock

atmosphere

estradasphere

pain of salvation

dallas green ( of course)

patrick watson

and so on... i LIVE for music.