The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

Guest Blockoman

According to Yankees.com, Joe Torre will be fired if the Yankees fail to advance to the ALCS, which by the looks of it, they won't.

To me, this is an absolute abomination of a decision by Steinbrenner, possibly as bad as the Habs trading Roy and not firing Tremblay. If Torre does get fired, let's hope he can somehow find his way to Toronto. The Jays really could use a guy like him on the bench!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest habsfan#08
According to Yankees.com, Joe Torre will be fired if the Yankees fail to advance to the ALCS, which by the looks of it, they won't.

To me, this is an absolute abomination of a decision by Steinbrenner, possibly as bad as the Habs trading Roy and not firing Tremblay. If Torre does get fired, let's hope he can somehow find his way to Toronto. The Jays really could use a guy like him on the bench!

O please, Riccardi REFUSES to fire Gibbons cause they're best friends. Gibbons is in no way the man for the job, he terrible. If Torre comes to the Jays I'll be shocked, SHOCKED.

Guest lfrommtl
O please, Riccardi REFUSES to fire Gibbons cause they're best friends. Gibbons is in no way the man for the job, he terrible. If Torre comes to the Jays I'll be shocked, SHOCKED.

if the blue jays get torre ill become a jays fan

i hate the yanks but torre is probably my favorite manager in all of baseball

Guest habsfan#08

Noooooo Yankees lost!!!!! Wang really stuggled tonight, he was not his usual self and it cost the Yankees to play him on 3 days rest.

If Torre does leave, it's the end of an era and I'm thinking many of the Yankees will want to leave with Torre.

Guest Blockoman

The Jays hired Gary Denbo as their new hitting coach. Denbo was with the Yankees from 1997 to to 2001, back when they were a very dominant force in the MLB.

I'm thinking this is an excellent move by Riccardi, but like with anything the Jays do, only time will tell.

Guest devils_fury2

I absolutely think that Steinbrenner would be foolish to fire Joe Torre, the Yankees have made the playoffs 12 straight seasons since he's become manager of the club, and for Torre as well there is only so much he can do to help the team.......if anything I would *If I was Steinbrenner* would be to fire GM Brian Cashman, because l feel it was Cashmans lack of player movement that helped with the Yankees demise this season...u look at his offseason moves...getting rid of Randy Johnson was a smart move because Johnson is well over 40 and showing his age, but then he brings back Andy Pettite who isn't a bad pitcher yet but he's in his late 30s and is beginning to show wear and tear on his arm....and Cashman picking up Japenese pitcher Chien-Ming Wang was a good pick up but that was his only good pick up who made any sort of a difference for the Yankees this past year..and because of the lack of movement the Yankees struggled big time over the course of the first half....then in the second half the Yankees play awesome but they didn't make one significant move at the trading deadline while the Red Sox picked up Eric Gagne from Texas even though if I were the Yankees I would have dumped Mike Mussina who was struggling but who may have been able to help maybe a team in the National League for their playoff run, and the only move the Yankees made in tail end of the first half (or the start of the second half) was sign Roger Clemens who at 45 was beginning to show his age and injuries were creeping up on him, and in my mind with already having heavy hitters like A-Rod, Derek Jeter, Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu, and Jorge Posada, the Yankees needed to bolster their pitching staff to bring them back to the World Series Dance, and because of Cashman that did not happen...in my view anybody with the amount of money Cashman had been given to play with could throw it around at anybody he wanted too, but come on you have to spend it wisely on players that would help the franchise now not on old players who helped them win thier last world series victory which was like 6 or 7 years ago now......oh well, I'm not a Yankees fan anyways....GO RED SOX

Guest Brisebois
Isn't Johan Santana a free agent this year?? B. Cashman right be ready to pounce, especially with A-Rod (probably) leaving.

No he isn't. He will be a free agent after the 2008 season. The starting pitchers on the free agent market this year will be very thin. Schilling will be the best and that's saying something.

Isn't Johan Santana a free agent this year?? B. Cashman right be ready to pounce, especially with A-Rod (probably) leaving.

No Santana isn't a UFA, however there are several rumors that he Minnesota will try and deal him this offseason, rather then risk letting him walk... With Lariano coming back, I guess they figure he can take over as their ace lefty.

They would get a ransom for Santana as he is far and away the best lefty in the game (no disrespect to CC).

As for ARod, I say it's 50-50 as to whether he stays or goes... He will opt out, but I get the impression the Yankees will try very hard to resign him.

The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to move back to shortstop, as that is his natural position, and he was a goldglover there.

Guest Brisebois

I believe the Yankees will push hard and try to extend A-Rods contract. If he opts out I doubt they re-sign him cause they lose the money from Texas. Can he still play shortstop? I don't know. Yes he was a gold glover but he didn't play that position for 4 years now.

I believe the Yankees will push hard and try to extend A-Rods contract. If he opts out I doubt they re-sign him cause they lose the money from Texas. Can he still play shortstop? I don't know. Yes he was a gold glover but he didn't play that position for 4 years now.

Well, he moved to 3rd base after having never played it and did an adequate job; I'm not saying he's the gold glove shortstop he once was, but he can still likely carry his own, and I think that's where he wants to be.

Yes they lose the money from Texas, but this is the Yankees, and Big Stein said he wants ARod back, they do have the money if they want... Infact, I can't think of any other team who can out bid them, they have their brand new stadium coming shortly, and for the last year at old yankee/first year at new Yankee stadium, they're going to want to field the best team possible, and they will want ARod back you can count on that.

Does he want to be back? That's the question.

I'm happy happy for the Indians, they play a good brand of ball. Is it over? No, team have come back from 3-1 before (and as we all know, 3-0.)

Indians have CC and Carmona going in the next 2 though, and you gotta like their chances of atleast splitting the next 2 with those guys taking the mound.

Guest FlHabsFan

The Yankees need some good young pitching. Rivera is getting old and it showed this year, same with mussina, pettite and clemens (who is probably taking geritol before each game he pitches). Doesnt matter who is at the helm (hope its still Torre or Torre says hes retiring and they put Donnie in as manager) or who is at the plate, if youre losing 10-8 because your pitching is losing a step due to age, there wont be improvement.

Next year will be just as bad if they dont dont get a good pitching staff. But not too many good pitchers out there anymore.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
The Yankees need some good young pitching. Rivera is getting old and it showed this year, same with mussina, pettite and clemens (who is probably taking geritol before each game he pitches). Doesnt matter who is at the helm (hope its still Torre or Torre says hes retiring and they put Donnie in as manager) or who is at the plate, if youre losing 10-8 because your pitching is losing a step due to age, there wont be improvement.

Next year will be just as bad if they dont dont get a good pitching staff. But not too many good pitchers out there anymore.

I think the Yankees have some of the best young pitching talent in the AL, they've just been blocked by the veterans. Here's what I expect the rotation to be next year (assuming there are no trades or free agent signings):

SP#1: Chien-Ming Wang

SP#2: Phil Hughes

SP#3: Ian Kennedy

SP#4: Joba Chamberlain

SP#5: Carl Pavano or Mike Mussina

Gone: Clemens (retied), Pettite (retire :()

Waiting in the Minors: Humberto Sanchez, Jeff Karstens, Kei Igawa, Tyler Clippard, Darrell Rasner,...

They have so much depth at starting pitcher but all the free agent acquisitions the Yankees make usually block these kids.

NOTE: I'm not a Yankees fan, this is just my opinion on knowing some of the players from scouting reports...so I'm not even sure if Joba will be converted for 2008 or not and If Pavano will ever play again for the Yanks.